• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

yes, but there's a higher chance of finding a blank lvl 3 that you can manipulate than a lv 4. and the difference in attack power is usually negligible if you can add flash+induction etc etc the 1 hitko and big damage attributes.

i just used lv 3 as an example
With the new weapon fusion system, finding a blank weapon isn't all that important anymore. We aren't stuck with the horrid weapon tempering system of DW8 any longer \o/ !

Though now with the weapon fusion system, I believe you can basically make any customizable weapon as godly as you want to toss gems into.

Yeah, the updated weapon fusion system is indeed a welcome change. No more do I need to rely on hex editing to make the perfect weapon in a reasonable amount of time.

However, still doesn't change the fact that the "ultimate" weapons will still be inferior to the customized level 1/2/3/4s. Which is a shame, because I do like that they the ultimate weapon models match with the character color schemes this time around.

Returners

Yeah, the updated weapon fusion system is indeed a welcome change. No more do I need to rely on hex editing to make the perfect weapon in a reasonable amount of time.

However, still doesn't change the fact that the "ultimate" weapons will still be inferior to the customized level 1/2/3/4s. Which is a shame, because I do like that they the ultimate weapon models match with the character color schemes this time around.

We need a conversion from weapon materials to gems.

Returners

I been finding gems to be pretty easy to find though. A lot more simpler than weapon materials and besides changing affinities, it doesn't cost a lot in gems to add a skill or attack power.

500 to add to +1 Attack. That's at least 5 ambition games. While I still sometimes get Facility Materials... :S

Hystzen

Do any of the new XL characters have mini stories or unique stages?
Been using Yu Jin for ambition he pretty badass but never seem be important during real stages

Just saw this, if DW7 is any indication, to play any DW8 content, you need the DW8 vanilla disc to do the remix mode.

Bummer. I may have to buy him the vanilla one used for... Christmas 2013. Hahaha.

It was Aggression in 8 , but in Extreme Legends they changed Attack up if both weapons have the same Affinity to be Harmony instead and the other one remains Aggression (I think its Attack up, defense down one).

Aggression is Musou damage up.
Harmony (what was also called Aggression) is attack up if both weapons have the same affinity.
Frenzy is the attack up, defense down one.

Thanks. Glad they changed that in XL. I keep selling off weapons with Harmony and Protection. Good call?

OMG thank you everyone for the tips!

I've found that niche communities that get shit on repeatedly by the "press" are really helpful and friendly in gaming! Big communities for AAA games are usually full of jerks.

No problem. I was also pleased to see that GAF has a thriving DW community. With Jim Sterling and GAF, I've got all the enabling I need. The GAF Monster Hunter community is very supportive as well, as I found out last year.

SmokyDave

Grabbed this for Vita and I'm really glad I did. There's no denying that it's ropey technically speaking, but the gameplay is all there and the depth is intimidating. I'm just going to run through the Wei campaign without worrying about all the weapons and things and then I'll start digging deeper.

Thank fuck the touchscreen stuff and minigames have disappeared.

Kysen

Dunno what her name is in English but I've been using 月英 with an awakening setup.

10 lightning proc, 10 atk speed, 10 chain combo
10 awakening gauge on hit, 10 awakening gauge on kill, one random skill

She hits so fast normally and lightning strikes guaranteed on every hit. A few combos in and then you can go awakening mode and just hold down circle. Since she moves faster while doing the musou attack so you can zip around the map like a tornado and clean out the commanders easily. Running both weapons like this and just swap back and forth depending on whether I want to use storm rush/counters.

Hollycat

So who did everyone choose for Ambition. I'm playing Lu Lingqi after Lu Bu dies, and she's conquering the land with her crossed pikes and her fathers halberd.

It would have been a neat nod if she had 4 compatability with the halberd, but I guess that would have made her OP.

Dunno what her name is in English but I've been using 月英 with an awakening setup.

10 lightning proc, 10 atk speed, 10 chain combo
10 awakening gauge on hit, 10 awakening gauge on kill, one random skill

She hits so fast normally and lightning strikes guaranteed on every hit. A few combos in and then you can go awakening mode and just hold down circle. Since she moves faster while doing the musou attack so you can zip around the map like a tornado and clean out the commanders easily. Running both weapons like this and just swap back and forth depending on whether I want to use storm rush/counters.

According to a quick google translate that's Yueying - Lady Huang.

I'm off into town to look for a cheap Vita and/or 2DS and then i'll be looking for mobile Musou games as i already have Senran Kagura Burst.

I'm off into town to look for a cheap Vita and/or 2DS and then i'll be looking for mobile Musou games as i already have Senran Kagura Burst.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles is actually very good. You control four characters per battle, and can direct the movements of the other three when you are not them. By playing your cards right, you can eliminate the boring travel by having the others move when you're in combat. You can essentially "teleport" throughout the field by doing so.

Story mode is also very comprehensive because you play a wandering warrior, joining all of the factions throughout the period. 3D is gorgeous too, but you're getting a 2DS.

Oh, but is Senran Kagura Burst worth playing? Should I power through the gratuitousness?

codhand

Running both weapons like this and just swap back and forth depending on whether I want to use storm rush/counters.

what exactly is Storm Rush? Just the move you do when switching weapons?

also youre better off describing what she looks like haha at least for me.

NeonZ

Samurai Warriors Chronicles is actually very good. You control four characters per battle, and can direct the movements of the other three when you are not them. By playing your cards right, you can eliminate the boring travel by having the others move when you're in combat. You can essentially "teleport" throughout the field by doing so.

Story mode is also very comprehensive because you play a wandering warrior, joining all of the factions throughout the period. 3D is gorgeous too, but you're getting a 2DS.

Chronicles is a good game, but keep in mind that the number of peons is very low compared to other Samurai/Dynasty Warriors games.

Thanks, i'll have a look about.

The 2DS is way cheaper than the 3DS and i have a squiffy eye so the 3D would be very subtle to me and i'm sure trying to stay in the "sweet spot" would annoy me after a while. I picked up a 2nd-hand 2DS and a Vita 3G/Wifi for £180 so i saved about £100.

Oh, but is Senran Kagura Burst worth playing? Should I power through the gratuitousness?
I don't know, i pre-ordered it months ago knowing i'd pick up a 2/3DS along the way but i'll let you know once i've given it a whirl tonight.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the only time i had this game crash was on ps3 when using certain pepoples rage attacks mostly zhuge liang, assassin creed rip off guy and Wang Yuanji.

had no problems on ps4 with them though

codhand

Blue marker over their heads, when it disappears you get that weird attack. Previous poster is correct her name in English is Yueying.

Thanks, I just thought that the Blue Shape meant that was a special officer or something like that..

Xu Shu.

Yeah, and I remember certain character's rage musous destroying the console due to the amount of shit it threw onto the screen in the vanilla version. Guess it's still an issue for the PS3 XL version.

I did hard freeze the PS3 using Lu Bu's True Rage Attack on vanilla DW8. Haven't seen it happen yet on XL on Vita.

My only real hard freeze that happened to me due to too much crap happening at once was with Yueying's Rage Musou where's she spinning like a top and basically grabs everything and everyone.

Though, I was basically asking for it, lol.

Hystzen

Man i do miss Zhou Yu's dance sword fighting style from DW2 they need bring it back but give it Lu Xun as his moveset is just garbage Zhou Yu is boss with staff moveset

Guymelef

It's me or the weapons equip system is really really annoying?
You have to select one after another to see the stats... and when you have tends of weapons...

NeonZ

do I need to play any of the others to know what's going on? Considering on getting this

The story is basically retold with additions and modifications each time, it's not a running plotline from one game to the next. Dynasty Warriors 7 did a better job introducing the characters, but you still get the full story from beginning to the ending with Dynasty Warriors 8 by itself.

Hollycat

Fun Fact, if your rank on DW8 Ambition is 111th, the game tells you you are in 111st place. (stealth brag? not really, I doubt many americans are playing this on Vita.)

Also another fun fact, basically all the maximum bond dialogue is creepy, especially if you play a girl.

Another another fun fact: Ultimate difficulty fits its description. at 8 stars on ultimate, regular enemies can kill you with one shot and archers with one or two.

mintylurb

Ok. Where's the patch to remove the gawd awful blur ;/ Everything being out of focus unless it's right next to your character is doing a number on my eyes.

I just want the already released DLC for the Vita/PS4 version so the game will stop resetting my weapon equips.

And costumes will be nice too.

I am frothing at the mouth in anticipation of this 1.03 vita framerate++ patch released in JP but not overseas. However it seems like it's one of those things where the more time passes without an announcement, the bleaker things look in terms of whether the patch will arrive at all (TK is normally good with post-release support, maybe it's just Sega PTSD speaking...)

Then again the game (vita) seems to have other equally pressing issues such as invites, DLC availablility, and DOF for the PS4 version. Maybe there is hope yet

Finally finished the story mode for Jin (Wang Yuanji's weapons are incredible). This game is very good at making each faction empathetic, as well as giving you individual characters to care about. Whereas previous entries (I'm looking at you, DW Next) made you play interminable missions with one character, the mere fact that you can choose one of three to four main characters during any given story mission makes that much of a difference in connecting to them.

The camp bits, where you can even talk to peons, is a great touch. Especially in the Shu campaign, you see
this one soldier get more confident, get married, die, and have a son, who also joins your army!

I don't know, i pre-ordered it months ago knowing i'd pick up a 2/3DS along the way but i'll let you know once i've given it a whirl tonight.

Thanks!

Risette

A Good Citizen
I got DW8 PS3 yesterday. It's really fun!

So the XL expansion doesn't have JP VA DLC like the vanilla disc, based on what I've read here? :( Any news on that coming out soon? I still want to get the XL PS3 disc as soon as I can afford it, but man, that dub...

Another another fun fact: Ultimate difficulty fits its description. at 8 stars on ultimate, regular enemies can kill you with one shot and archers with one or two.

I feel this is slightly exaggerated but I eagerly wait for the challenge. It's usually I'm way OP and destroy everything in seconds or I'm way under-powered and generals take forever to kill. I'm hoping on the higher difficulties I can die easier but be powerful enough that fights don't drag the experience down during the map but feel as though I could lose at any second.

I feel this is slightly exaggerated but I eagerly wait for the challenge. It's usually I'm way OP and destroy everything in seconds or I'm way under-powered and generals take forever to kill. I'm hoping on the higher difficulties I can die easier but be powerful enough that fights don't drag the experience down during the map but feel as though I could lose at any second.

I put together one of the more broken weapon combinations , and I can do Chaos 1 Star Difficulty with no problems with a level 53 character (Lingqu). Can't do Ultimate 1-star with any reliability though because a single hit from an enemy I'm disadvantaged against insta-gibs me (and my second weapon isn't quiet good enough to switch in and win, though I'm getting there).

Enemy officers still take ages to kill on Ultimate though, even the build up to a storm rush followed by a storm rush isn't a guaranteed kill. Admittedly my stats are still way lower than they could be given I'm not even Level 60 out of 150 yet.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In ambition mode Im so ready to fire the weapon shop guy since man hes not bringing in any good weapons and hes upgraded a pretty good amount too. Im like having to rely on praying for better drops from higher difficulty. D:

One issue Im having is way too many scrub officers. I should go sacrifice a bunch of exp. Just hate how long it takes to do that...

They released it on US and apparently as Shogun Darius said.
My Kessen III purchase many months back truly bring tear of joys to my eyes.
kesseniii.png

Now, what I need it just PS2 Classics of RotK X and my life will be complete.

Ill have to look into getting that this weekend. Forgot to pick it up when was buying the Persona 4 and Raidou stuff.

In ambition mode Im so ready to fire the weapon shop guy since man hes not bringing in any good weapons and hes upgraded a pretty good amount too. Im like having to rely on praying for better drops from higher difficulty. D:

One issue Im having is way too many scrub officers. I should go sacrifice a bunch of exp. Just hate how long it takes to do that...

Ill have to look into getting that this weekend. Forgot to pick it up when was buying the Persona 4 and Raidou stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's at 41 or 46 that he starts carrying the good stuff. The base quality of weapons doesn't matter much so long as its 4 dot though, you can use Weapon Fusion to make up for poor random attack and to add any element you want (and you can overwrite an element you don't want with one you do).

It took me about 2 days to put together 2 Velocity 10/Jubilation 10/Aggression 10/Frenzy 10/Flurry 10/Roar 10 weapons. I can currently run 1-star Ultimate Maps with a level 67 character as a result. I haven't really experimented to see how far I can go, since it's a better use of my time to recruit characters on Hard at the moment.

I did cheat a bit though, I did Lu Bu's story mode first, and used Lingqi as my Ambition Mode character, so I effectively started it at level 45ish and with decent weapons and gold.

Top Bottom