• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

I'm kind of surprised that the PS4 version still has frame rate issues, its not like the hardware can't handle it, so i'm going to assume its bad coding or optimisation

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
dynasty warriors 8 is coming to pc in japan in may omg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm kind of surprised that the PS4 version still has frame rate issues, its not like the hardware can't handle it, so i'm going to assume its bad coding or optimisation

Considering its Koeis first rodeo on the PS4 hopefully their future titles will get better with the musou series.

Returners

I swear if I ever hear "I have been looking for someone..."

So repetitive. Need my JP voices.

Does setting the camp symbol do anything?

Tip for people starting out in Ambition Mode. Put a supervisor for the farmer, talk to him as well to get Materials.

DrTeflon

If the PS4 version has framerate issues, I am not surprised about how the VITA version turned out. Sometimes it plays great, but mostly its a low-fps fest :(

Sophia

Whenever there's alpha effect present such as fire/poison then the game starts to chug. Crowd + fire/poison is too much for the ps4 to handle.

Think it's just the game engine in general. The same thing happened in vanilla Dynasty Warriors 8 on the PS3. At least the PS4 keeps a reasonable framerate, usually...

Parakeetman

Whenever there's alpha effect present such as fire/poison then the game starts to chug. Crowd + fire/poison is too much for the ps4 to handle.

Im still impressed with how many soldiers it can render at once though. Man I remember the old days when it was always folks blinking in and out of existence. PSV version of Orochi too lol

I do hope they work on a new engine when they switch to PS4 only. Who knows when that will be though, can see them still supporting PS3 for a while.

Would be nice if they kept up the Vita ports as well, and even nicer if they released them in the west.

Returners

Nah I would rather they stick to this engine and refine it.

After the nightmare that is DW6, it took them a long time to get the engine for DW7 right.

Also another thing I noticed:
The character you're controlling blinks now. Really caught me off guard.

One thing I will never understand why they took out after DW6 was the awesome siege system that made it feel like you were in an actual battle. DW6 had tons of problems, but that awesome ai siege system was not one of them.

Hollycat

3 minor complaints about the lu bu campaign;

1) too darn short 7 battles aint enough.
2) terrible ending, especially since they somehow manage to have lu bu maturing and becoming more childish at the same time, like they can't make up their minds. And why can't it continue with HER after HE does THAT.
3) Lu's daughter. I like the idea of her fighting alongside her father. I like the idea of her using Lu Bu's discontinued crosspikes. I like her spinny attacks. I hate the way she has no weight applied to this obviously monstrous weapons. It's like she's moving her arm unburdened. They could have at least used some momentum attacks and more spinning. When LuBu used cross pikes, he had lots of spinning.
The campaign is kinda disappointing considering they've done great Lu BU campains before. How awesome was it in DW 6 when Lu Bu comes charging into the middle of huge battles like Chi Bi and trashes everything in sight just because he can?

Good that they actually made Lu Bu act like a dad. kinda.

Parakeetman

2) terrible ending, especially since they somehow manage to have lu bu maturing and becoming more childish at the same time, like they can't make up their minds. And why can't it continue with HER after HE does THAT.
3) Lu's daughter. I like the idea of her fighting alongside her father. I like the idea of her using Lu Bu's discontinued crosspikes. I like her spinny attacks. I hate the way she has no weight applied to this obviously monstrous weapons. It's like she's moving her arm unburdened. They could have at least used some momentum attacks and more spinning. When LuBu used cross pikes, he had lots of spinning.

It was the first DW Empires game that had Lu Bu's daughter as part of the story right? Or one of the games I remember, where he actually acted like some sort of father figure. Which was surprising considering how he usually is. But it was quite well done. I just wish I remember exactly which game it was in the series. Am pretty sure it was not a main line one and was one of the spinoff titles.

AH! It was Dynasty Tactics 2. I actually really liked that game, had thought it was well done and the story was good. Wished that they continued with that series. D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA-3CvzEg7w

codhand

Playing Wei campaign, the second Mission after the "flee" mission, you face Lu Bu? He seems unbeatable, and kills me in a few hits, after I've been playing 25 minutes of pure slaying-fools, do I have to fight him 8-\ or am I supposed to run for the hills?

Hollycat

Playing Wei campaign, the second Mission after the "flee" mission, you face Lu Bu? He seems unbeatable, and kills me in a few hits, after I've been playing 25 minutes of pure slaying-fools, do I have to fight him 8-\ or am I supposed to run for the hills?

There's only one time in the Wei Campaign that you have to fight him, and in that one if I remember correctly he's the commander.

The campaign is kinda disappointing considering they've done great Lu BU campains before. How awesome was it in DW 6 when Lu Bu comes charging into the middle of huge battles like Chi Bi and trashes everything in sight just because he can?

Did you dislike both endings? Also I thought it was longer than seven stages, or are battles specific stages?

SLV

Worth a buy ? I liked the Jean D'Arc game on the PC, i loved Bladestorm ! , i did not like the Vita version of the previous Dynasty Warriors. Found it to be boring and shallow in terms of gameplay. Loved the leveling aspect in Bladestorm, is this similar ? Being a full console game ?

Parakeetman

Hmm it's only the second mission in the campaign, soooo I should run then I take it? Sucks to get 20 minutes into a level and lose in a three hit combo.

Thats usually what happens in all DW games where Lu Bu appears early on.

Worth a buy ? I liked the Jean D'Arc game on the PC, i loved Bladestorm ! , i did not like the Vita version of the previous Dynasty Warriors. Found it to be boring and shallow in terms of gameplay. Loved the leveling aspect in Bladestorm, is this similar ? Being a full console game ?

Its nothing similar to Bladestorm really. If you disliked the previous version on the Vita then chances are you will not like this either. As the gameplay is the same, only difference is that hardware allows for non-vanishing soldiers. lol

SLV

Thats usually what happens in all DW games where Lu Bu appears early on.

Its nothing similar to Bladestorm really. If you disliked the previous version on the Vita then chances are you will not like this either. As the gameplay is the same, only difference is that hardware allows for non-vanishing soldiers. lol

:( So there is no leveling up ? need something after burning through on ff x HD.

Hollycat

Hmm it's only the second mission in the campaign, soooo I should run then I take it? Sucks to get 20 minutes into a level and lose in a three hit combo.

Yeah, the first few times he's supposed to be the unstoppable Lu Bu. You can beat him by getting in a kit or two running away, rinse and repeat, but it will take a very very long time even on easy.

Sophia

:( So there is no leveling up ? need something after burning through on ff x HD.

There is a leveling system, but it's far simplier than you'd expect. This is pretty much a beat em up game with some RPG systems under it.

If you want, I can stream a stage of Mute Warriors 8: Xtreme Mute Legends for you. :p

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Are both the PS4/Vita versions of this the unpatched versions ? I know Vita had a framerate patch in Japan and it sounds like it's not had that in the west yet.

SLV

There is a leveling system, but it's far simplier than you'd expect. This is pretty much a beat em up game with some RPG systems under it.

If you want, I can stream a stage of Mute Warriors 8: Xtreme Mute Legends for you. :p

If you dont mind !

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i know the director has said with next gen they plan on adding more strategic features. was in an interview not so long ago

Along those lines, how will the Warriors games evolve with the imminent next generation of consoles? "Speaking just in terms of possibilities," Koinuma said, "I think it might be fun to make an open-world Warriors game, or maybe an RPG that takes advantage of the Warriors system. Also, there's still a lot of explore here, but I think taking advantages of the specs of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will let us explore new types of gameplay that we couldn't do before."

Such as? "With Warriors up to now, all the military action not taking place right onscreen is still simulated in a pretty basic way. If we had it so the entire thing was fully simulated, that'd be a huge boost to the strategy aspect, and I think the fighting would a whole new level more exciting. Also, when we produce a game on the new consoles, I want to really focus on making really varied terrain in terms of height and shape. It'd be fun to take a more realistic approach with it such as creating a lot more destroyable objects and things."Along those lines, how will the Warriors games evolve with the imminent next generation of consoles? "Speaking just in terms of possibilities," Koinuma said, "I think it might be fun to make an open-world Warriors game, or maybe an RPG that takes advantage of the Warriors system. Also, there's still a lot of explore here, but I think taking advantages of the specs of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will let us explore new types of gameplay that we couldn't do before."

Such as? "With Warriors up to now, all the military action not taking place right onscreen is still simulated in a pretty basic way. If we had it so the entire thing was fully simulated, that'd be a huge boost to the strategy aspect, and I think the fighting would a whole new level more exciting. Also, when we produce a game on the new consoles, I want to really focus on making really varied terrain in terms of height and shape. It'd be fun to take a more realistic approach with it such as creating a lot more destroyable objects and things."

The Vita version definitely feels like a weaker experience. I mean it's playable and I'm still having fun, but the frame drops are painful at times. Like at times with musou attacks all the flying enemies and low frame rate makes it pretty hard to tell what's happening. It needs the magical patch that turns most of the choppy fps into a pretty smooth game (most of the time). I'm still baffled that the game didn't come out with the frame rate fixing patch.
All in all I'm enjoying my first proper experience of DW. When it gets the frame fix I can see me playing this for a long time.

SLV

Here's my stream. I'll start it up in a second. There's no sound because of that stupid bullcrap mentioned a few pages back however.

The harder difficulties do have a degree of strategy, and Ambition mode racks up quickly.

Heres some footage I had recorded. Was posted a few pages back. Its from the PS4 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybWx0QJiAB4

Thanks you two, i guess just not for me, i so wish for another Bladestorm.

Parakeetman

Thanks you two, i guess just not for me, i so wish for another Bladestorm.

Asides from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Nobunagas Ambition series Koei for the most part has kinda abandoned the more experimental strategy titles.

They have not even made another Kessen in like forever. Kessen III was fantastic. Really wished that they would release that and the others on PSN...

Hollycat

I'm hoping beyond all rational hope they will one day release an ultimate HD Warriors collection that features HD remasters of the entire franchise.

Asides from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the Nobunagas Ambition series Koei for the most part has kinda abandoned the more experimental strategy titles.

They have not even made another Kessen in like forever. Kessen III was fantastic. Really wished that they would release that and the others on PSN...

they did on EU PSN

Mask

Got this yesterday, postie smashed the top of the case though ;_;

Looked through all the characters, and Zuo Ci looked fun. Sweet jeebus! His Tao Cards moveset is pretty fun and diverse!

sweet, thanks, i cant really provide him with a decent challenge, so this works out.

Nothing really happens when you beat Lu Bu in the stages where they expressly state not to pursue him. Just some changed dialogue in subsequent meetings with the man. Doesn't make it any less fun though! Try it after you've cleared a couple of campaigns!

The campaign is kinda disappointing considering they've done great Lu BU campains before. How awesome was it in DW 6 when Lu Bu comes charging into the middle of huge battles like Chi Bi and trashes everything in sight just because he can!

I just finished playing Lu Bu's campaign myself, and I enjoyed it immensely. Granted, it was the third story campaign I played in this game, after Wu and Wei, so that may have changed how I viewed its refreshing shortness.

I'd already seen
Lu Bu's death
in Wei, and I liked how differently it was treated in Lu Bu's campaign, with the inclusion of Lingqi. Of course it would end with that event-- I mean, the campaign is named after the man. I do like Lingqi's weapon. Thanks for reminding me of its dw history! That's why it looked so familiar.

Onto Liu Bei's BENEVOLENCE tomorrow.

Oh, and good lord at Zhang Liao's new voice.

Top Bottom