• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

ZXcDTKBl.jpg

So this never came out? :(

The "free" DLC that would have been pre-order DLC for Europe never materialized no. I lost track of who got what pre-order bonus in the US, so I can't say there.

So, apparently, Koei has asked on its Facebook page how many of their fans are PC gamers since this was also announced on PC for Japan. That's pretty awesome.

I know I'd definitely jump in on this series if it came to PC stateside. I don't see a thread on these news, though. Anyone want to make one? Saw it on Siliconera.

Well shit, I was thinking about getting the vita version, but PC, man.....

Vita version is great, framerate drops aside. Content-perfect, and I love playing DW wherever. I'll definitely double dip on either the PS4 version (if/when I get one) and/or the PC version, should it happen.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Precious little gaming-related would make me happier than getting a localized DW8XL CE for PC. And Tecmo Koei might have it on the cards, too?

It is funny because it looks like Lu Bu is saying it. Menacingly.

The picture is clickable.

because kicking our asses on the consoles wasnt enough eh Lu Bu? lol

Parakeetman

Fuck that, I need nobunaga ambition on steam stat.

I so hope that they release the PS4 / PSV versions. Yes I know there is a PS3 one also but they will have to make choices on which. Then yeah as you mentioned go onto the PC. Though Koei hasnt really done titles for the West on the PC in a while right? I remember for Asia and stuff they have but not sure how it is now?

DrTeflon

Gaf, please advise.

I own Dynasty Warriors 8 XL CE on Vita. But I also want to get it on my PS3 (digital). Since it is a TON of money, should I go straight for it or get Dynasty Warriors 8 first? I dont know what to do. :(

Gaf, please advise.

I own Dynasty Warriors 8 XL CE on Vita. But I also want to get it on my PS3 (digital). Since it is a TON of money, should I go straight for it or get Dynasty Warriors 8 first? I dont know what to do. :(

You can't do Cross-Save with just DW8 (you can only import the PS3 DW8 to XL when XL is first run) , so I guess it depends on how comfortable you are having 2 completely separate save files.

I'm trying to do all the hypotheticals but the requirements are really vaguely worded on some and downright misleading on others. Without searching for the walkthroughs I would have no idea how to do some of them.

I'm trying to do all the hypotheticals but the requirements are really vaguely worded on some and downright misleading on others. Without searching for the walkthroughs I would have no idea how to do some of them.

Some of them are hard even if you know exactly what to do. A friend and I spent over 2 hours (on beginner) trying to do one of the intercept the escaping person ones. I don't have the foggiest idea how you'd accomplish it playing alone.

Some of them are hard even if you know exactly what to do. A friend and I spent over 2 hours (on beginner) trying to do one of the intercept the escaping person ones. I don't have the foggiest idea how you'd accomplish it playing alone.

The one as Shu, I think, where you had to stop the dude, who's at the top of the fucking map, before he leaves?

That one took ages.

The one as Shu, I think, where you had to stop the dude, who's at the top of the fucking map, before he leaves?

That one took ages.

No, there's a very similar one in Wei:
Chapter 4

My friend managed to do the Shu one alone after more or less memorizing the entire map.

Hystzen

I'm kind of disappointed with Free Mode I was happy finally get pick sides for battles. Problem is when the pick the other side (like Wei for Nanjun) they barely put any effort in. No extra events or even different voiced parts during battle. Each time seems be just go kill commander no stopping plots or new strategy for that side. Just mindless go charge the main camp kind a shame really.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It was kinda awkward during ambition mode when I was playing Lu Bu and Lu Lingqi asked me to be her first friend. And then gave me some gems to seal the deal.

I guess it's not terribly surprising that a child of Lu Bu's would end up a wee bit gormless on the socializing front, but still. Girl's got a lot to learn about the finer points of human interaction.

Parakeetman

Is the DW NEXT demo a good representation of DW 8 XLCE Vita and DW as a whole?

If you minus the whole poking and prodding of the touch related mechanics then the core gameplay should be generally what to expect with the gameplay. Other features and such will be different though, but the core gameplay is the same. Which is beating the shit out of thousands of soldiers with a single badass general.

For whatever reason, it seems there may have been some problems with the newer weapon DLCs for Japan. They took down the Stone Pillar shortly after it went up last week, and the Mandarin Duck Hooks didn't come out this week like previously announced. Now, both of those will come out 4/24 along with a third one:
龍床几 (Dragon Folding Stool)
20140424_1.jpg

20140424_2.jpg

ugh haven't played this series since te ps2, i though it was dead. I have $40 on the psn store, as soon as it drops in price its mine, I fing loved this game back in the day

Parakeetman

For whatever reason, it seems there may have been some problems with the newer weapon DLCs for Japan. They took down the Stone Pillar shortly after it went up last week, and the Mandarin Duck Hooks didn't come out this week like previously announced. Now, both of those will come out 4/24 along with a third one:
龍床几 (Dragon Folding Stool)
20140424_1.jpg

20140424_2.jpg

Oh man that is just too awesome haha

Shiina

If you minus the whole poking and prodding of the touch related mechanics then the core gameplay should be generally what to expect with the gameplay. Other features and such will be different though, but the core gameplay is the same. Which is beating the shit out of thousands of soldiers with a single badass general.

Touchscreen nonsense aside, the demo felt a little... brainless. Does the full game require some thought? Maybe on a higher difficulty?

Shengar

Touchscreen nonsense aside, the demo felt a little... brainless. Does the full game require some thought? Maybe on a higher difficulty?

That's the point. It's game where you just hop on after exhausting task like reading philosophy for 3 hours straight.

Parakeetman

Yeah its pretty much a mindless action game that folks love due to the story, tons of characters and being fairly easy to get into. Once you find a character you like it becomes far more amusing.

meppi

ugh haven't played this series since te ps2, i though it was dead. I have $40 on the psn store, as soon as it drops in price its mine, I fing loved this game back in the day

Dead? There are a dozen of these being released a year and that's just by Tecmo Koei.
Not that this is a bad thing. ;)

SMK

The maps in Next are much smaller and quicker to finish than most DW games. Straight up you'll be doing more stuff in 8.

Hystzen

Poor Deng Ai a great character with amazing history but in games such slow move set and weak damaging musou attacks. Needs a total rework then he can protect his doody better

The maps in Next are much smaller and quicker to finish than most DW games. Straight up you'll be doing more stuff in 8.
This is true. While the complexity of combat isn't too high, you will need to pay attention to things going on in the battlefield (not as much so in Ambition mode as in Story / Free mode) to do missions / protect allies. Also, the higher difficulties can wipe you out super fast unless you have a super high leveled / stated character with a weapons. So you always need to stay on alert when playing that way.

Poor Deng Ai a great character with amazing history but in games such slow move set and weak damaging musou attacks. Needs a total rework then he can protect his doody better

Huh, did they change him up that much in XL?

In DW7 and vanilla 8, his drill was one of the most broken weapons in the game because of that ridiculous C6 with the element proc on every hit (EX followup was just a cherry on top since nothing would survive the initial charge).

Has anybody else had issues with specific stages/hypothetical conditions not working based on the character you've chosen? For example, I can't complete the Battle of Lu Kou as Zhuge Liang; Lu Xun never jumps down to be ambushed and set up ladders, so the battle can't progress. Any other character works fine, though. Similarly, I tried the Battle of Nanjun's hypothetical with Zhou Yu as the OT's guide suggested, and the game also gets stuck. Lu Su and Lu Meng get stuck in an endless battle with the last generic general regardless of morale, and one of the generals that's supposed to charge your position just stays in place. I chalk the latter case up to making the mistake of relying on AI generals to do something, but I have no idea what's up with Lu Kou.

Chromax

I am in love with this game. Even though there's performance issues on the Vita, I'm still having a lot of fun and it's great to be able to play wherever I go.

convo

This is my first ever dynasty warriors game and after playing Lu bu for a while i have discovered the awesomeness that is Zhao tai.Bunny hopping around with him is really fun.
I sort of got into the second part of Ambition mode without really thinking about it, and now i am in sort of a pickle. I am liking how it changed but i want the character for the acadamy back. Does starting over take particularly long or should i just continue the mode?

Has 8 come to steam in Japan yet? Hoping that Tecmo will follow through on their teasing and bring more things to the PC in English. Would be lovely to play in seamless 60 FPS.

Top Bottom