• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Doesn't one of the patches also give the ability to filter weapons by element when doing fusion? Ex: Search for Slash and it will show only weapons that have Slash on them.

It really is a shame that the actual fun part of Ambition mode is hidden behind a long grind. Being able to just kick back and enjoy a semi-randomized battle with key objectives on Ultimate difficulty feels like I'm actually fighting a battle instead of rushing a generic commander for supplies countless times. At the least, it'll keep me playing until Empires is announced.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Has there been any updates on the JP voice dlc? I don't follow the TK twitter/facebook much but usually they reply to fan questions there right?

Spat_triate

I haven't played a DW game since 3. Should I start with story mode? Is there any character that plays like old Zhou Yu (when he had the sword)?

I haven't played a DW game since 3. Should I start with story mode? Is there any character that plays like old Zhou Yu (when he had the sword)?

Truth be told, Zhou Yu's Elder Sword moveset hasn't really been replicated, sadly.

In terms of concept, though, I think Xu Shu's sword + hook might be the closest, since it attacks with more "elegant" strikes and can keep the user in the air most of the time.

Spat_triate

Truth be told, Zhou Yu's Elder Sword moveset hasn't really been replicated, sadly.

In terms of concept, though, I think Xu Shu's sword + hook might be the closest, since it attacks with more "elegant" strikes and can keep the user in the air most of the time.

Thanks. I'll give Xu Shu a go.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I miss Zho Yu's awesome C4 attack. Bouncin' on the enemies. I feel like there are a lot of sword movesets they could do with recreating in some form. Though I don't remember much about it besides the musou attack, I miss Gan Ning's old sword too.

Velcro Fly

If you don't care about the framerate, you're likely to enjoy it a lot :)

Everything I've heard is that the framerate is annoying at times on certain stages and certain scenarios. I played WoW for years at sub 20 fps with wild fluctuations and it wasn't so bad.

Creaking

Whatever they do for the graphics of the next Dynasty Warriors, I hope they find a better method of rendering hair. It's not all bad, but I just watched a cutscene with Guo Jia and his 'do looked straight-up nasty. Like he'd been shampooing with bird poop or something. Basically, it's way too rough and textured wrong, it comes off as greasy. I've seen old PS2 games that do hair better.

I'm about to buy this on Vita. Zero fucks given about frame rate. Haven't played a DW game since DW5 on the PS2.

You picked a good time to come back in. I've been with the series since 4, and 5 remains my personal favorite, but boy, 6 and 7 were rough. 6 was just a really bad direction to take the series and about a thousand steps backwards in terms of content from 5. 7 was the right direction, but ultimately lacked good post-story content and had some poor design choices (leveling up takes too long and is done purely through grinding enemy officers, musou mode stages locked to a single specific character, no musou mode co-op, still a bunch of clones, no aerial charge attacks.) 8XL is much better. No cloned movesets (across 75 characters). A good amount of stages for each kingdom's musou mode (though some areas are reused more often than I'd like). Some neat Dynasty Warriors 4 type stuff where you get special stages for achieving certain requirements on previous stages. Enemies actually block, so neutral charge attack isn't a useless waste of a move that would be better spent being a unique wildcard sort of attack as it was in DW5 (it still would be better spent that way if you ask me, but I guess I just miss Ma Chao's spear acrobatics.) It's a pretty juicy package.

But yeah, 8 gets a thumbs up. TK knows what it's doing. I've only got a few things I'd want changed.

Velcro Fly

I enjoyed Next despite the touch stuff but ultimately it felt shallow to me. I could never raise stats of my officers, just farm for better items and weapons. The mode where you go around conquering China seemed weird as hell to me. It was fun, but it just felt shallow. The gameplay was there, but it all felt shallow. Not being able to hunt for 4th weapons for anyone really killed gameplay for me.

waiting for summer sale to double dip on pc. are people still having issues with crashes during story mode and not being able to continue?

waiting for summer sale to double dip on pc. are people still having issues with crashes during story mode and not being able to continue?

yes. Crashes are randomly bountiful. Sometimes none for hours, then randomly like 12 in a row. I can always continue ect. but of course I save frequently. Game seriously needs work, would not pay more than $20 for it in this state to be honest. (Partly because I've been putting off playing DW8 since it was announced for PS3)

dark souls 2 has taught me that given the choice, i should aim for pc versions of my favorite console games.

i need me some non-disappearing mobs in dw!

but what i truly am anticipating with delight, is the load times. whats the avg you guys are getting?

Creaking

Whoever came up with the "use catapults to destroy this or that" and then decided that it should take more than one hit to destroy "this or that" with the catapults, should be kicked in the nuts. Especially since I think that enemy ballistae etc. health actually scales with difficulty. On hard mode alone it takes 12+ monotonous presses of circle, each followed by a five second wait to destroy a single ballista, and those things always come in pairs. Vehicles on a whole are one thing that remain mishandled. If they weren't going to make them fun/challenging/ to use, they should have left them to the AI.

Velcro Fly

Game is fun so far. Frame rate is noticeable but not a concern. It's probably because I'm used to playing games like this.

I'm a little overwhelmed though. I have all these weapons and they do all sorts of things so I've been reading up about weapon attributes at GameFAQs. I've been playing story mode as Shu and I'm loving it. Already starting to formulate some long term goals for things I want out of the game.

- All stages and such unlocked for Free Mode. I'm guessing this can be accomplished in Story Mode?

- Get all the unique weapons that require doing things on hard difficulty? There are 70+ characters so I'm not sure about that.

- Max out all the skills. I'm not even sure if that's a thing but it would be cool to be able to equip whatever I wanted and have it be max or close to it. I was never able to successfully farm those +20 items for everything back in the day.

- Get some of my favorites to max level.

If I get even part of that accomplished, it will be $40 well spent.

Creaking

Game is fun so far. Frame rate is noticeable but not a concern. It's probably because I'm used to playing games like this.

I'm a little overwhelmed though. I have all these weapons and they do all sorts of things so I've been reading up about weapon attributes at GameFAQs. I've been playing story mode as Shu and I'm loving it. Already starting to formulate some long term goals for things I want out of the game.

- All stages and such unlocked for Free Mode. I'm guessing this can be accomplished in Story Mode?

- Max out all the skills. I'm not even sure if that's a thing but it would be cool to be able to equip whatever I wanted and have it be max or close to it. I was never able to successfully farm those +20 items for everything back in the day.

If I get even part of that accomplished, it will be $40 well spent.

Yeah, you get free mode stuff by playing on story mode, unlocking every stage there, and beating each. Often times you'll also get a version of the stage where you can play as the opposing force.

Maxing out all the skills could be a little tricky for ones that require you to be near death and whatnot. Each maxes at 20, and some seem to progress faster than others. I swear it took what felt like 50 enemy officers to get Mighty Roar (defeat enemy officer with a Storm Rush) from 15 to 16, so progression rates seem to vary as well.

They need to drop the "Dive" category for weapons next game. It's so awful compared to the other weapon categories, and there's only like 5 or 6 weapons that support it, so those characters that specialize in it get screwed in terms of selection. I mean, Dash and Shadow Sprint open up totally new and creative combo possibilities, and Dive just lets you pull off a somersault easier, and it's already not that difficult to time. If they're intent on keeping it, they should just relegate it to an attribute. Whirlwind should be moved too. It's passively useful but it's boring, and far too many weapons are categorized under it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
pc patch notes

Program Update 1.01 Now Available

Dear Customers,

Thank you for your continued support and enjoyment of our products. We are pleased to announce that version 1.01 of DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition is now live on Steam. By starting the game and connecting to Steam, your game will be automatically updated.

[Update Details Ver 1.01]

* Fixed a bug in which using certain PCs caused the game to freeze at the start of battle.
* Fixed a bug in which downloadable content was not read correctly.
* Fixed a bug in which the screen turned black while a movie was paused.
* Fixed a bug in "Controller Settings," in which settings were applied without selecting "Apply Settings."

After the update, you will still be able to use any existing save data with the game.

* In order to update the program, you must have Steam set to maintain the game at the latest version at all times. If the update does not initialize, access the product page within Steam and check the details on the [Properties] -> [Updates] tab.

Kinsei

Banned
I picked this up Saturday night (PS4), and I have a couple questions.

1. On the stage select screen in story mode, what is the second path below the regular story? Is it the XL missions?

2. During the battle of Xiapi (I think that's the one), the game told me to go defeat enemies around the castle gates, but they just kept respawning and after I had killed about 1200 of them I got bored and decided to explore, when it turned out I had to open the flood gates. The problem was I never got any instructions to do that until I was already there, I even went through my battle log to check. Was it a glitch or was it because I wasn't playing as Jia Xu? The game seemed to act like I was him when I found the switch to activate the flood gates.

The game is awesome so far. I think DW7 (The only other Musou game I've played) did a better job on the story, but the gameplay in this is better. A pretty fair trade if you ask me.

Creaking

I picked this up Saturday night (PS4), and I have a couple questions.

1. On the stage select screen in story mode, what is the second path below the regular story? Is it the XL missions?

2. During the battle of Xiapi (I think that's the one), the game told me to go defeat enemies around the castle gates, but they just kept respawning and after I had killed about 1200 of them I got bored and decided to explore, when it turned out I had to open the flood gates. The problem was I never got any instructions to do that until I was already there, I even went through my battle log to check. Was it a glitch or was it because I wasn't playing as Jia Xu? The game seemed to act like I was him when I found the switch to activate the flood gates.

The game is awesome so far. I think DW7 (The only other Musou game I've played) did a better job on the story, but the gameplay in this is better. A pretty fair trade if you ask me.

1. Yes, those are the XL "What if" missions.

2. I'm not sure, I played as Jia Xu on that stage.

Definitely agree with you about the story (more singular focus in 7 probably helped, though I prefer 8's choice), but yeah, gameplay is king.

Aerocrane

Anyone who has it for the Vita. I'm looking for a mindless fun beat em up, is it playing good on the Vita?

Framerate can get really rough, possibly even single digits for a second at worst when there's most effects on screen when activating a musou attack. I think the water texture is a bit glitchy too. Unless occasional slowdowns bother you the gameplay is well adapted to the Vita, with no additional unnecessary touchscreen features. Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends is probably the best the series has ever been. Dynasty Warriors Next has better framerate, but lots of stupid gimmicks that take use of Vita's features in a way that feels very forced, so DW8XL is the preferable choice in my opinion.

Uthred

Does the PC vesion have as many enemies on screen as the PS4 version?

Well, the PS Store has updated. Looks like we're only getting stage packs 11-13 today.

Looks like we could be looking at a three month wait for the Japanese voice DLC, just like with vanilla DW8

Creaking

Looks like we could be looking at a three month wait for the Japanese voice DLC, just like with vanilla DW8

I'm personally waiting for the new weapons. Koei has been getting better and better at making interesting weapons for the games, and I want to give some of the new ones a shot. My boy Quan really needs a more interesting sword.

Subaru

I just bought a PS4 and I'm thinking about try DW for the first time.
The question is: will I be able to understand/enjoy the story mode? Because, you know, I don't know a single character =[

Tkz!

Uthred

I just bought a PS4 and I'm thinking about try DW for the first time.
The question is: will I be able to understand/enjoy the story mode? Because, you know, I don't know a single character =[

Tkz!

The story mode is (mostly) a (super) abridged version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms with some creative licence taken. So you dont need any familiarity with the characters as the storys the "same" from game to game.

Subaru

The story mode is (mostly) a (super) abridged version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms with some creative licence taken. So you dont need any familiarity with the characters as the storys the "same" from game to game.

Oh really? That's awesome!
I was reading some posts in this huuuge thread, it seems that the PS4 version is the best one, right? But there's some things that needs to be patched... should I be worried?

Yeah it looks like it. You know what it's fine. I pretty much finished all the story modes and I'd be more than happy to replay them with the JPN voices. The fact that we're probably getting Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate and Samurai Warriors 4 on the PS4 in NA feels pretty good too.

Uthred

Oh really? That's awesome!
I was reading some posts in this huuuge thread, it seems that the PS4 version is the best one, right? But there's some things that needs to be patched... should I be worried?

Some people dislike the depth of field effect, Japan got a patch to make it toggleable, we havent got that yet. The same patch also adds some stuff for six star weapons, shouldnt impact things too much (unless you reall hate the DOF effect). As for which version is the best one, its hard to say, in part because of how poorly theyre handling the DLC. A rough breakdown is

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL – PS3 Version

Pros:
-> All current extant DLC is available for it
-> Japanese language option is available

Cons:
-> Worst looking of the three options
-> Least stable framerate of the three options

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL – PS4 Version

Pros:
-> Nicest looking version, enhanced textures lighting and effects
-> More enemies on screen and enhanced frame rate compared to the PS3 version

Cons:
-> Still has framerate drops
-> Missing the most up to date patch
-> No Japanese voice option
-> Significantly less DLC available

Dynasty Warrios 8 XL – PC Version

Pros:
-> Rock solid 60 FPS framerate
(-> Possibly quicker loading?)
(->Possibly same number of onscreen enemies as PS4)

Cons:
-> Based on the PS3 version so worse looking textures, effects and lighting compared to the PS4 version
-> No Japanese language option (though it seems you might be able to fan patch them in)
-> No DLC nor any announced DLC at all
-> No online co-op
-> Technical issues (I think most of these have been patched)

So which version is best depends on what your priorities are, though unless you are OCD about the DLC its a toss-up between the PS4 and PC version.

PC version has no online co-op too.

I know people tend to not care about it, but it was advertised in the Steam store as having and blabla I bought it on PC just to play with a friend that lives far.

Kinsei

Banned
Not a fan of the final Wei XL mission. The little mini story was kinda amusing, but there was way too much running around in it.

Wu is up next! I think I'll enjoy them more than I did in 7 because I won't be forced to use Sun Quan in what seemed to be almost every mission.

guess I'll post my Lu Bu story since it seems like people were doing it back when DW8 Vanilla came out. I decided to defeat Diaochan during the Battle of Hulao Gate just to piss him off because I'm a little shit. Fast forward to when I'm fighting Dong Zhuo and in bursts Lu Bu like the god damn Kool-Aid man, and then he killed me instantly.

Creaking

DI OW CHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU VERMIN!!

Honestly though, I feel like I'm enjoying Lu Bu less and less with each passing game. I'm glad they made him deadly in 8 again (after being fairly weak in 6 and 7 from what I recall), but his face looks ridiculous, and he's becoming more annoying, while also getting more screen-time. It was especially awful in Warriors Orochi 3 when all he would do was show up to get beaten by pink-haired little tron boy Nezha.

I miss his more colorful attire too. You really don't have to wear black and red to be intimidating.

Honestly though, I feel like I'm enjoying Lu Bu less and less with each passing game. I'm glad they made him deadly in 8 again (after being fairly weak in 6 and 7 from what I recall), but his face looks ridiculous, and he's becoming more annoying, while also getting more screen-time. It was especially awful in Warriors Orochi 3 when all he would do was show up to get beaten by pink-haired little tron boy Nezha.
I HATED THIS

Creaking

I HATED THIS

20121202040944!WO3_Nezha_Vs_Lu_Bu.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

warriors_orochi_3___nezha_type_01_by_masamunemarth-d6ljjef.png

There's something wrong with this.

they need to make him menacing not just mechanically, but subjectively.

Yeah. It feels like he's just riding on a legacy now, from the older games. He's loud and annoying, and I get that he's not supposed to be very great at stuff that isn't squashing vermin, but TK is too on the nose about it. Then again, they're too on the nose about a lot of things. I miss old Yuan Shao too.

Unlocking Lu Bu to use as a playable character used to mean something.

He used to hold himself aloof from the rest of the cast, at the very least, through his unlocking requirements, which had you go through most of the game to even be able to use him. There was a sense of finality that developed when you could finally hold the power to stave off pursuers.

Now? Now it's a pretty standard and mundane affair to unlock and use him within an hour of playing the game, at worst.

Creaking

Unlocking Lu Bu to use as a playable character used to mean something.

He used to hold himself aloof from the rest of the cast, at the very least, through his unlocking requirements, which had you go through most of the game to even be able to use him. There was a sense of finality that developed when you could finally hold the power to stave off pursuers.

Now? Now it's a pretty standard and mundane affair to unlock and use him within an hour of playing the game, at worst.

I don't know about vanilla 8, but in 8XL complete edition, he and his campaign are unlocked from the start, along with everyone else. It's just a little lame.

Also, what's up with Zuo Ci and Pang De not getting their Dynasty Warriors 5 costumes from that costume pack? Kind of irksome, since the other characters introduced in DW5 also got their bonus alternate outfits from that game, and those two didn't get anything.

I have a problem. I use the configuration tool to choose the highest resolution I have. When I start the Game then, it sets the resolution to 640*480. And yeah. i saved the configuration and when I open the tool, it still shows that I choosed 1920*1080.

Logged into the PS4 yesterday to see all this DLC, the descriptions are weird but I am assuming each stage "pack" is one stage from the pack?

They really need like a season pass or something if you want all of it.

Creaking

I'm also kind of disappointed that there's no way to buy or unlock the special alternate outfits for the 7 newcomers from 7 Xtreme Legends.

Top Bottom