• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

joey_z

Banned
Is the new MGS game exclusive? Wasn't it said at one point that every game shown from that point forward in the presentation would be an exclusive? I'm so confused!

Also, what the hell kind of teaser was that for Halo Reach? FFS...surely they could have given us something more than that cryptic shit.

- The biggest minus of all? After months of 'wait til E3' when it came to MS's 09 lineup, they add a single solitary new game to their 2009 lineup (L4D2), excluding the XBLA stuff of course. Maybe more over the show?
Forza 3, Crackdown 2 say hi.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
lawlblob.jpg

Hence why I love E3. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
esbern said:
45 minutes of that was worth watching.

stop blowing microsoft everyone, its not like you all haven't seen an AI demonstration before, much less a motion detector.

Oh stop. Don't try to downplay how incredible that was.

Poona

gnarkill bill said:
WHERE THE FUCK IS RARE?????

Ditto x ininity.

The conference was kinda a let down for me. I'm not a big fan of shooters (well at least having to pay for online multiplayer with them) nor racers so it was a bit all bleh.

Only highlight was The Beatles at the start for me, so to find no appearance from Rare was a real downer.

Black_Ice said:
7.3/10

Splinter Cell
Crackdown 2 (!!!!!!)
Alan Wake
L4D2
MGS Rising

Last FM
Instant On HD
*Somewhat* Natal

Impressed me... I was kind of expecting more... :\

No offense dude but you are sick if you were expecting more. That was the most amazing E3 conference I have seen. If you can't appreciate Project Natal then wow.

nli10

Duderz said:
Anyone that doesn't see the potential in this needs to get their eyes examined.

Like someone earlier said, this is a lot more promising that Motion+.

Promise and deliver are two different things.

I'll be using Motion plus this or next month. This is Xmas at the earliest and most likely late 2010 as they are only just giving out kits. By 2011 there will be games worth buying the camera for.

It looks and sounds fantastic, but if you think that Dev times and costs are high now...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I can't tell who is joking and who is serious in this thread.

okay my girl wants to watch this with me but she's at work. anyone know when and where i can download the conference for later viewing?

microsoft surprised the hell out of me. they had metal gear which is HUGE and crackdown 2 which is also huge for me. outside of alan wake and mw2, i didn't really care much about anything else.

i give microsoft an a+ based on crackdown 2 and metal gear alone.

sony already gets an a+ from me just for psp go.

can't wait for nintendo.

Ponn

Banned
It was...average. The natal stuff was interesting, just not my cup of tea. Alot of stuff we already knew about, really nothing new. Alot of stuff I don't give a shit about (facebook, twitter, more Halo, jesus bungie, just change your names to "Halo People"). Alan Wake looked good, doubt the new MGS will be exclusive. Meh. We will see what the others do. I say at this point its Sony's E3 to lose.

Seriously, nothing about Mass Effect 2???? Really MS?

JaseMath

I don't understand how Natal is any better than waggle. I'd personally rather use a pointer and a few waggle motions than use these big, broad hand and leg gestures.

Opus Angelorum said:
Ignoring the macho bullshit some people have posted, that was an impressive conference.

That was a fucking awesome conference, I agree. I predicted MS would kill it, they did. Im not sold on the camera cause my room doesnt even suit that shit atm, and I am a lazy gamer for life, but that doesnt mean there isnt experiences out there that can take advantage of this tech, nor does it mean the controller will be rendered useless.

Besides the idiots like lawblob, this was a great day for gamers imo. Honestly, fuck all that bullshit console wars, as a gamer, im excited about everything that was shown with the exception of Forza and Halo ODST.

andycapps

joey_z said:
Is the new MGS game exclusive? Wasn't it said at one point that every game shown from that point forward in the presentation would be an exclusive? I'm so confused!

Also, what the hell kind of teaser was that for Halo Reach? FFS...surely they could have given us something more than that cryptic shit.

No, not exclusive. There are no 3rd party exclusives anymore, just timed exclusivity. Get used to that. Oh, with the exception of Valve, they won't be on PS3 or Wii anytime soon. :lol

Stealth

I think it was a good conference, but probably a little too overbearing and overloaded. 1080p streaming is obviously a slap at Sony, while the camera is aimed at Nintendo. Alan Wake looked like a good game but it didn't make me shit my pants, Splinter Cell doesn't even look like a Splinter Cell game but I want to play it, Crackdown is win, the fact that Left 4 Dead is getting a sequel and not an expansion is annoying since it means full price, and the Halo stuff is standard Bungie delivery. Modern Warfare once again wins best demo, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lawblob said:
The lack of broad functionality on the PS3 is now at pure embarrassing levels after this conference. I mean, Jesus...

Actually, I saw the provision of console-ised versions of websites as a way of dodging the question of a browser on the system..which is slightly disappointing.

I wonder how many of the people calling Natal lame/retarded etc are those same people who predicted that the Wii and motion control would be the beginning of the end for Nintendo...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As for the games, Alan Wake and Shadow Complex looked great, but everything else was recycled meh.

Can we get some new IPs, please?

Barrett2

Souldriver said:
Has lawbob always been like this?

As a PS3 owner, I think i've just finally reached my breaking point with the system. Yeah; it plays Blu-Rays; yeah it has some good games. But the basic user functionality of the system continues to fall behind the 360; and anyone who thinks this was anything other than a stellar conference is beyond myopic.

What exactly could Sony possibly have to top this?

Spirit of Jazz said:
As much potential as the camera has I care more about the present. MS showed very little that's coming out at the end of this year so I'm more than a tad worried. Only things that excited me were Conviction and the Epic XBLA title, however the lack of any focus on XBLA games was very worrying given that they usually get their own segment.
Frankly I thought they were crowding the fall with Conviction, Forza, ODST, and MW2.

Hero

Has premise but I severely doubt Microsoft or any other developer could take advantage of it.

They showed off the technology but did they show off any game that people will care about? No.

MarkusRJR

Am I the only one who was bored to death watching MS's conference? I literally almost fell asleep (although that could have been the fact that I'm sick, but still). Nothing really impressed me other than Splinter Cell and Alan Wake...

The majority of it was just CGI or filler imo. :(

I think MS had an pretty damned awesome showing...so far. The camera and its applications, I think, have far more potential than a Wii remote-like device. We'll see how it goes...I'm excited as fuck! Alan Wake...oh yeah. Nice to see all of the additions coming to Live, too.

DreD

From a tech stand point, that was a pretty impressive conference. Still, they did not show any serious games supporting Natal, which makes me seriously doubt what was shown. Seems like these are only promises for now. Also, I don't really see this as a game changer for the rest of this generation. They did not announce a price or a release date and they even mentionned that the developpement tools would be in the hands of developpers soon. This means it will be a while before we see some real support for this tech.

Owzers

Crackdown 2 has me most excited. I liked the first game enough, but the enemies were just a bit too bland for me, but now with the added monsters, EXCITED>

radjago

Didn't see or hear any of the four letter words I was hoping to.

ZUNE
RARE
HULU

Better luck next year, then?

Overall, it seemed very core-centric with social network and motion control nods to the casual.

GhaleonQ

Well, hopefully, people are cataloguing the postcoital euphoria. Yikes, you guys.

I have to say, even though this conference catered very heavily to the stereotypical Xbox 360 owner, it was extremely well-run. That was so smooth, except for the Epic glitch. I don't really care about nearly any of this stuff, but my friends are probably paralyzed with glee. Good job, Microsoft. Now, please start adjusting expectations for the fantastical dreamer portion of your show.

VALIS

TheKingsCrown said:
So you weren't kidding? :lol

What is wrong with you? They've won nothing.

Who won or lost E3 is stupid shit, but if you think the other two conferences are going to have all that, I'd like to see it! Seriously, it would be great if all three had amazing conferences. The MS conference just now was the best conference I've seen at any E3 yet. Sure it had some hilariously awkward moments, but they displayed a range of genres and popular franchises, got a betrayalton in there, showed some amazing new tech for the future, had celebrities all over the place and NO SALES CHARTS. You'd have to be one seriously bitter dude not to think that was an impressive E3 conference.

angelfly

Conference turned out better than I thought. Netal was pretty impressive. If Milo turns out like in that video then I'll definitely be onboard.

artist

Banned
MS delivered but it was all predictable. Did not match the pre-conference hype at all.

Still, this is the closest I've been to 'jumping in', purely for Conviction.

adelante

Jax said:
you are delusional if you think this will add more depth. It won't. Not immediatedly anyhow. They can only write that many lines of "reactions".. .and stimuli/input. Even at the text level as it is now, its limited.

Maybe in 2020...2030
And you're delusional to think that's the approach they'll take..reactions/responses can be limited but the way you interact (ie your actions) can split multiple ways (to get to those responses)...be it a throw, step forward, duck, hand over, etc

Slacker

Beatles game looks great, but they spent way too much time on it.
Shadow Complex looks sweet.
SC Convcition looks cool.
Instant 1080p videos I'll believe when I see.
Last.fm is no Pandora.
Live Party looks cool.
Facebook and Twitter = lame.
Alan Wake looks awesome.
Halo Reach was funny. We've had a secret team working on a top secret project: MOAR HALO!
Mommy Sim was WTF ahoy, but the tech could be cool.

Zutroy

Stop It said:
You're not kidding.

Something tells me the Sony and Nintendo execs are in their rooms right now with their jaws open, because this was not on the script, at all.

Molyneux has tried to play god for decades now, his games reflect that, this project however, Skynet references aside, is a landmark in interactive entertainment history.

Imagine Fable 3, where people know you, react to you, and the way you play, and act influences the experience.

Holy fuck, the possibilities...this is huge.

I seriously doubt that. The technology looks really cool, but how many things are you going to be able to say, and it would understand? Most games will probably just use it for 'yes', 'no' answers when talking to characters.

Top Bottom