• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports announces across-the-board price cuts

AirBrian

Madden NFL 2005, NHL 2005, and NBA Live 2005 now just $29.95; NCAA Football 2005 will be $39.95.

A new salvo was fired in the sports-game price war today, with Electronic Arts announcing drastic price reductions in almost all its flagship EA Sports franchises. Effective immediately, all console versions of Madden NFL 2005, and NHL 2005 will now retail for just $29.95, $20 less than their original prices. NBA Live 2005 and NCAA Football 2005 will be discounted by $10, and will now sell for $29.95 and $39.95 respectively. All four games are rated "E" for Everyone.

Frank Gibeau, EA’s Senior Vice President of Marketing, naturally had great things to say about the price drop. “People who buy sports games late in the season tend to be more casual players. Our pricing strategy will be a big draw during the holidays and will attract new players to EA Sports.”

As most industry watchers are aware, EA Sports' price drops are a response to ESPN Videogames' aggressive pricing strategy, announced earlier this year. Co-published by Take-Two and Sega, all of the most recent crop of games bearing the ESPN name--ESPN NFL 2K5, ESPN NBA 2K5, ESPN College Hoops 2K5, and ESPN NHL 2K5 only cost $19.99. While the pricing strategy was initially--and publicly--scoffed at by EA executives, subsequent analyst reports and sales information have apparently prompted the company to take a different tack.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/08/news_6112689.html

Yay for competition!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Think they'll give a rebate to the suckers who bought Madden on day one? :D

Too bad NHL is still Kentucky Fried Crap. And that's with The World's Greatest Player on the cover. Sigh.

Matlock

Banned
"We killed 'em on football. They could give that thing away for free, scotch taped to a ham sandwich and we're still going to beat them."

Bwahahaha

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fifty said:
Oh Bish......Bishy Bish Bish.

suckers.jpg

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I remember in 1999, which was four years after PlayStation came out, virtually all of the third party games were $39.99, even if they were multiple discs. I wish third parties followed through on that this gen, but people are willing to pay $49.99 on most big games, so it's a smart move on their end.

Fifty

bishoptl said:

Your picture works better with the image title showing, by the way. You can thank me now or later.

380.jpg

It's tough to be a baby
Oh, baby, it's tough to be a baby
Tough to be a baby...

My name's Jordy, I'm four years old
I'm really small
It's tough to be a baby, tough to be a baby
Come here, don't touch that, sit still, don't go there
Do this, fo that, blah, blah, blah...
Why this, why that, why is that like this ?

Tough to be a baby...

And Mommy says, go to bed, brush your teeth
Don't pick your nose, don't do this, don't do that
Blah, blah, blah...
Don't move - no way !
Don't touch that - no way !
Don't go there - no way !
You won't get your dessert
And Grandma, Grandpa and Mommy
It's tough to be a baby

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's something they should've done years ago anyway, so bravo to them. EA sports games depreciate in value faster than used cars.

Cloudy

Banned
Well, the same could be said for ALL sports games but since everyone already owns the EA games, there isn't much of a market for them after the first month or so :lol

theo

Contest Winner
could i have the room please...

MY EMPIRE IS CRUMBLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umm ok, everyone back in.

</kidsinthehall>

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Why does NCAA 2005 only go down to $40? It's not worth $10, and the Xbox version isn't worth anything. In fact they should pay you to take it.

DarienA said:
Wait can you combine this with the buy 2 get 1 free deal?

This would be awesome. It will eat even deeper into EA's margin. It is time for EA to realize that it can't rely on selling marginally improved sport games every got damn years for $50 USD. Also, it will force EA to make more original IP to cover the reduced income from the sport sector. I love this news.

Gregory

Banned
This is very good news indeed.

Now all you have to do is still not buy EA`s games. Then before you know it they`ll end up costing 10 bucks at release. Which is close to what they`re worth.

Meier

Probably will buy Live at that price... but not any time soon with MP2, Halo 2, GTA SA and MGS3 on my plate.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
This move will only have limited impact because pricing strategies for software after launch are viewed more as clearance promotions. SEGA tried this with their heavily pushed NFL and NBA 2K3 only a few months after release with a well publicized discount to $19.99, and it had little effect. The glut of copies only ended up moving off of store shelves when the game was later given away for $9.99 and below.

Necroscope said:
No, both FIFA and Winning Elevens are selling at the same old prices but WE is eating away EA's share.

What if Take-Two teamed up with Konami...T2's distribution network is an attractive asset for Japanese publishers.

Comments by financial analysts on EA's dramatic price cuts:

'' "Obviously EA's needing to be defensive and so I guess they're showing their willingness to defend their position in the category," said Stewart Halpern, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets. "(It's) clearly not a sign of strength." '' (Source: Reuters)

'' Some analysts were surprised by the magnitude of the price cuts. "I really question whether these price cuts are going to make much of a difference," said Michael Pachter, a research analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities. "The price-conscious consumer who was going to buy Madden…has already bought ESPN." '' (Source: Wall Street Journal)

Miguel

Sweet. I'm gonna buy a copy of Madden, copy the receipt, and return it. Then I'm buying NBA Live. Getting FIFA 05 free. :D

Shinobi

Matlock said:
"We killed 'em on football. They could give that thing away for free, scotch taped to a ham sandwich and we're still going to beat them."

Bwahahaha

:lol Bitches...

Necroscope said:
We have Konami kicking EA at that battle front.

:lol WE7 is the first game I've owned in the series, and I don't think I've played one game more this year. It's just a treat.

DrLazy said:
HOW WILL 989 RESPOND????!!!

:lol

If I'm Sega, what I'd do is keep Visual Concepts and the ESPN brand, along with the pricing strategy. But I'd have Take Two handle distribution of all their games. It seems that's really helped a lot.

Quartet said:
investor sem to like the news in japan, segasammy is almost 4% up (3,85% right now).

Sega rallies today because an analyst initiates a favorable ''Buy'' rating on the stock and sets a price target of 7,000 yen for it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
*sega* " I heard EA just anounced across the board PDs."

*other guy* "PDs"?

*sega* PD
eez NUTS!!

I can only hope this is a preview for DS versus PSP :D

Top Bottom