• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Altima

Aaaah. I don't know what to do. I really want to play this, but I also don't want to play an unfinished game. But I can't wait 6 months. How many hours do you think you can get out of this before you max out the content that's in this build?

I think 20+ hours.

inkls

Aaaah. I don't know what to do. I really want to play this, but I also don't want to play an unfinished game. But I can't wait 6 months. How many hours do you think you can get out of this before you max out the content that's in this build?

Its a roguelike. Max completion can take alot of time

Varvor

Clocked in about 40 hours now. On my 25th attempt run, with 2/3 bosses taken down and few toons are level 5 and rest 4 (week 46). When you conceder it being rogue like...it can go on for a looong long while.

Real good game and addictive as much as its punishing........punish me...punish meeeeeeee................

Bounty Hunter + Occultist is pretty amazing.
Bounty Hunter crits and damage can be INSANE.

The Jester I feel is not really my class so far, i can't seem to find any actual place for him.
I really want to get him and a Graverobber in a good party since they both have high movement moves. I don't know if any other classes have any other moves that also move the party around but I feel like you could do a lot of damage by continually shifting the Graverobber back.

Neoweee

I'm doing pretty well on my third attempt through the game. 5 Hours in, my head is way above water, and I haven't had to resort to any cheap shit like suicide runs. Haven't even seen a Jester yet...

The biggest problem, other than some of the punitive level restriction aspects, is the inventory management in dungeons. It's crap, and encourages not even bothering with most of the provisions, because of the way items stack.

Begaria

I've been thinking on how critical hits handle with stress damage. I think whatever an enemy critically hit you for should also do corresponding stress damage. I don't like how a critical hit that does 2 damage does 10+ stress damage. It should be you get critically hit for 2 damage, you take 2 stress damage. Get critically hit for 20 damage, take 20 stress damage. It would make the early game a bit easier and then late game a bit harder, which should even out the difficulty curve.

Altima

The game is EASY after you get blacksmith and guild.

I can faceroll lv.1 dungeon easily now. (and usually get lower than 50 stress per character.)

I snagged this earlier in the week but haven't had time to play due to work commitments-can someone describe what the game's fail state is? Normally in roguelikes it is you dying, but that doesn't apply here since it is party based.

Chariot

I snagged this earlier in the week but haven't had time to play due to work commitments-can someone describe what the game's fail state is? Normally in roguelikes it is you dying, but that doesn't apply here since it is party based.
I don't think there is one. Although you can play yourself into some really shitty positions. But technically you can't lose.

kyubajin

Like some of you I think I've come up with a winner party altogether.

Bounty Hunter | Occultist | Crusader | Hellion

Occultists and Bounty Hunter provide much needed CC with their pulls/pushes or snipes. Hellion and Crusader both can stun if needed and Crusader can also heal.

This team hasn't died to anything yet and has killed 2 bosses while normally coming out with less stress than before the mission.

I'd like to try the Grave-robber/Jester combo but can't find a proper way.

Ala Alba

Can you actually run out of space for trinkets? After the visible slots filled up, another row of slots (that you need to scroll down to see) showed up for me.

I don't think there is a true fail state. Say you have a full roster of strong peeps and you kick them all out And hire fresh new blood. I think the game is smart enough and averages your rosters level and give you appropriate dungeons.

You can also never really run out of gold. You just have to realize that you can't buy a lot of supplies and be ready to run when things get grim.

So while you can 'lose' I don't thin you can lose. Game will just keep going. Only issue is that you have to start from the bottom again.

Edit: Speaking of trinkets, I wish you could easily flush them from your heroes after each mission. I didn't know that heroes could gamble or lose them, which is awesome, but I rarely am able to run a dungeon with the same peep consecutively.

Thanks. That's a bit of a bummer-I like games that hold my ass to the fire, but I enjoyed Rogue Legacy well enough and it didn't have a fail state either.
Well, a lot of people have restarted from the beginning, myself included, some even multiple times, when you're out of gold and useable heroes. I actually believe the intended reaction from players is to kick everyone out that you can/want to, but only if my assumed idea of level averages is true.

I just whish there was a 'Grinding Grounds' where you could test new ideas, get experience for new heroes, pass time, and get gold. Don't need to get artifacts since I feel it would make it to easy to upgrade stuff. Might be the only guy here who wants that though.

Neoweee

Thanks. That's a bit of a bummer-I like games that hold my ass to the fire, but I enjoyed Rogue Legacy well enough and it didn't have a fail state either.

It's hard to say due to the game being comprised of a bunch of smaller rogue-likes of dungeons and characters, caked in the overall progression rogue-like regarding rebuilding/upgrading the hamlet, your community, and exploring the overall world. There aren't really any analogies to other rogue-likes for how it fits together.

You guys, it's ok if you die in the tutorial. One of the devs did :p

https://twitter.com/PowerUpAudio/status/563577151845199872
B9I6bujCYAAtLwP.jpg

Varvor

Oh god, Swine prince killed my entire team .....

4 man Stun Stun Stun Stun ... no chance to run.

Just wait till ya hit Swine King.

On a side note every building with expetion of Camp on the clif and the cart that sells trinkets is upgraded fully. Will be taking on nlevel 5 missions shortly.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Wow. Just...wow. I had no expectations for this whatsoever and it' sort of blowing my mind right now. How the hell are you going to fuck around and just accidentally make a perfect single player DnD campaign like this? Poor Anna, the graverobber with a penchant for thievery and self-flagellation. It's such a shame you ran into those clergymean of an old god who cut your face from your skull.

I shall visit your grave every chance I get, while my warrior drinks his sorrows away and the highwayman loses himself in the pleasures of the flesh. They know the end will come, swift and mercilessly, they only hope that when they die, they do so with a full belly and suddenly, and without stress.

These are vain hopes, indeed.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've put about 5 hours into this an its pretty cool. The upgrades to the characters though are so, so underwhelming. At least at the first tier the upgrade on every attack is like +5 accuracy. That isn't even noticeable and I feel it hurts the progression.

A lot of the trinkets have seemed outright bad as well. Stuff like buffs you only when its really dark? Why would anyone walk around without light? Or like -5 ACC +1% crit? That seems like an overall dps decrease.

Love the art and narration and the overall structure of it is great though. And it worked in making me favor certain characters over others for non-numerical reasons. I have a jester than is my 'best' character. Not because of his abilities but any time he's in my party the mission just... goes well for some bizarre reason. I complete medium length missions with everyone at full health and less than 20% stress. Other parties fail miserably. He's just 'lucky' I guess.

And I like the risk/reward of the provisions. Deciding how much money to sink in that might just be wasted is great.

I'd like so the classes get access to more abilities as they level up. Instead of the minor boosts to their current skills, have higher tier skills both for in/out of combat that can only be trained once the character is higher level.

edit: And the combat would highly benefit from showing turn order so you can actually change tactical decisions based on who is going to go when.

Chariot

Or like -5 ACC +1% crit? That seems like an overall dps decrease.
You can actually have more than 100 ACC. So if you have above 100 ACC anyways, you might as well take +1%. However, yes. A lot of trinkets are worthless or close to. Wouldn't touch most of the commons.

Klyka

Banned
I've put about 5 hours into this an its pretty cool. The upgrades to the characters though are so, so underwhelming. At least at the first tier the upgrade on every attack is like +5 accuracy. That isn't even noticeable and I feel it hurts the progression.

A lot of the trinkets have seemed outright bad as well. Stuff like buffs you only when its really dark? Why would anyone walk around without light? Or like -5 ACC +1% crit? That seems like an overall dps decrease.

Love the art and narration and the overall structure of it is great though. And it worked in making me favor certain characters over others for non-numerical reasons. I have a jester than is my 'best' character. Not because of his abilities but any time he's in my party the mission just... goes well for some bizarre reason. I complete medium length missions with everyone at full health and less than 20% stress. Other parties fail miserably. He's just 'lucky' I guess.

And I like the risk/reward of the provisions. Deciding how much money to sink in that might just be wasted is great.

I'd like so the classes get access to more abilities as they level up. Instead of the minor boosts to their current skills, have higher tier skills both for in/out of combat that can only be trained once the character is higher level.

edit: And the combat would highly benefit from showing turn order so you can actually change tactical decisions based on who is going to go when.

You would walk around without light because doing low/none light runs is how you get tons and tons of loot and better items.

Ferrio

Banned
Think I'll hold off playing more until the final product, think I'll be much happier.

Not having a turn indicator, and some of the scummy shit you have to pull off to survive really put me off and I hope they address it by then.

slayn

You would walk around without light because doing low/none light runs is how you get tons and tons of loot and better items.
Wait what, why? I thought lower light just increased stress and monster surprise rate. Why would walking around in darkness grant more loot?

Kyuur

There really should be 'Early Access' in the title. I thought OT was reserved for official releases, no beta / early access stuff anyways. :| Will be waiting for a release date, hopefully I'll actually hear about it when it comes.

Klyka

Banned
Wait what, why? I thought lower light just increased stress and monster surprise rate. Why would walking around in darkness grant more loot?

You never hovered your mouse over the light at the top?

The darker it gets the following things start happen:

Radiant
++ Scouting
++ Monsters surprised

Dimlight
+ Stress

Shadowy
++ Stress
+ Monster ACC and DMG
+ Loot
+ Player Crits

Dark
+++ Stress
++ Monster ACC and DMG
++ Loot
++ Player Crits

Black as Pitch
++++ Stress
+++ Monster ACC and DMG
+++ Loot
+++ Player Crits

Player crits btw means "chance of your party SCORING critical hits on enemies"

Not having a lot of information and not properly testing things in the game is the main problem for many players and why they go "this game is hard".
It's not "hard" the game just can be unforgiving and if the player doesn't put his party together properly he plays against what the game is about.

slayn

You never hovered your mouse over the light at the top?

The darker it gets the following things start happen:
I never let the light get low enough to see the other benefits. I hovered over at radiant and saw ++scouting, ++ surprise. Then it got dim and hovered and saw + stress. Which taught me less light = bad. And so I used torches to just lock the light to radiant always. Had there been some benefit at dimlight, then I would have noticed the progression.

Klyka

Banned
I never let the light get low enough to see the other benefits. I hovered over at radiant and saw ++scouting, ++ surprise. Then it got dim and hovered and saw + stress. Which taught me less light = bad. And so I used torches to just lock the light to radiant always.

well there had to be something else to it getting darker than just negatives because otherwise the entire game mechanic would be "you have to buy torches, or else" which is not very fun and doesn't really further player decisions.

Omnicent

get + loot and more crit. Its easier imo cause crit = stress heals.
I tend to do no/low light with level rank 1+ groups. Get 2 Hellions with the crit camp for medium runs and let the crits flow.

slayn

well there had to be something else to it getting darker than just negatives because otherwise the entire game mechanic would be "you have to buy torches, or else" which is not very fun and doesn't really further player decisions.
You mean like 'get food, or else'? It made sense to me just being a resource sink that you could choose to pay for or suffer the consequences. I'm just pointing out it would be far more intuitive if there was some minor benefit at dim light to make the progression more obvious.

I know now, so it doesn't matter to me, but believe me I won't be the only person to make that mistake given the obtuseness of the mechanic.

Neoweee

Think I'll hold off playing more until the final product, think I'll be much happier.

Not having a turn indicator, and some of the scummy shit you have to pull off to survive really put me off and I hope they address it by then.

The scummy shit is overstated. It's still too viable of a strategy, but once you're familiar with the Campfire mechanics, the stress reduction you get from crits and kills, the exploration provisions, and have a general understanding of skills and especially the ones that reduce stress, it's not that bad. The classes have good, varied skill sets, and using them well will keep you sub-20 stress even without doing anything scummy.

Reebot

Backed this when it was on kickstarter, pretty much forgot about the game until I got the email saying early access was ready. All I can say is wow - way to deliver. Its just about everything I wanted. I'm already content with the game and its still being built on.

For anyone turned off by the difficulty or the random elements, its not nearly as frustrating or punishing as it might seem. Unlike other permadeath games, specifically roguelikes with random elements, you really have unlimited guys to throw into the grinder. Yeah its punishing, but the feeling of overcoming the seemingly insurmountable is amazing.

Klyka

Banned
Just had my first casualty ever at week 32.
A lvl 0 plague doctor I took with "just cause" on a 0 light run through the warrens.

slayn

For games like this, the defining moment is when you suffer the largest setback. Be it death or party wipe or whatever. And either the game got its hooks into you enough to want to jump right back in or... not. And for me the answer is not.

Got wiped by a boss when I missed 5/7 attacks, every hit against a 0hp party member was a deathbelow on the first chance, and the enemy got multiple crits and I got none. That doesn't make me feel in control of my own destiny. Coupled with the fact that it seems like the best way to attempt to control your destiny is to subvert the systems as much as possible, and my previous complaints that higher level characters don't feel substantially different, and this just isn't for me even though I love roguelike games from nethack to isaac to rogue legacy.

Perhaps I will give it a second look when its out of early access.

Sarcasm

Take 2 pills and call me in the morning

So new patch released btw and made the combat a lot quicker and smoother which is fantastic :D

Faster Combat is indeed awesome..sucked waiting like a bit to do stuff.

Also..the title of this thread is hard to spot in my sub since everything else the game name comes first than w/e stuff comes after (which I never pay attention to since I look for game name). Anyway to get Darkest Dungeon part of the title moved to the front?

Klyka

Banned
I gotta say, the game is very very slowly becoming a bit stale for me.
If I don't mix up the parties all the time to be a little more weird and less optimal and if i started actually bringing torches again, there would basically be no challenge at all :(

Varvor

I gotta say, the game is very very slowly becoming a bit stale for me.
If I don't mix up the parties all the time to be a little more weird and less optimal and if i started actually bringing torches again, there would basically be no challenge at all :(

I do have to ask, at what point are you? Level 1, 3 or 5 fights?

Klyka

Banned
I do have to ask, at what point are you? Level 1, 3 or 5 fights?
i have 13 lvl 3 guys and 4 lvl 2s.

I'm sure the game has more in store for me, but honestly, so far i've only really seen "now these enemies here have higher resist stats" and that was kinda it :(

eh we'll see, still enjoying the game.

Varvor

i have 13 lvl 3 guys and 4 lvl 2s.

I'm sure the game has more in store for me, but honestly, so far i've only really seen "now these enemies here have higher resist stats" and that was kinda it :(

eh we'll see, still enjoying the game.

Just got first team of lvl5's and prepping my asshole for some serious violation. Has any one here dabbled with that level of challenge?

Neoweee

Well, I'm done with the game until launch I think. It really sucks to get thrown into a boss fight that you literally can't win with your current skill setup. Now I have no gold, so the only way to progress is to revert back to cheesy, boring, and uninteresting suicide starvation runs to get back on my feet.

Top Bottom