• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Zingerale

Banned
I'm loving the game so far. I haven't played much yet but I have to say this was 20€ very well spent.

The game is not unfair at all, since it rewards good decisions.

I had the game crash when I entered the hero recruitment wagon and some rebalancing and UI improvements are needed. But I think it's safe to say everything will be perfect when the game leaves early access.

I don't think that's true.

It is, I've had it fail on me once.

/edit: had my first wipe yesterday. On the necromancer's apprentice or something. Dude kept fucking summoning more adds. It was annoying.

The developers need to find a way to rebalance the game to allow for some form of healing outside of combat. It feels odd to keep combat going to allow for some extra healing.

Brohan

/edit: had my first wipe yesterday. On the necromancer's apprentice or something. Dude kept fucking summoning more adds. It was annoying.

The developers need to find a way to rebalance the game to allow for some form of healing outside of combat. It feels odd to keep combat going to allow for some extra healing.

You can eat food to heal outside of combat although it heals for only a little.

okiemok

Anyone know what the relationship is between Red hook, Klei, and this game? I know they are all in Vancouver. Did Klei help them with production?

Klyka

Banned
You can eat food to heal outside of combat although it heals for only a little.

Funnily enough "tank classes" actually gain 2 hp from food cause they have a bigger HP pool.

Also death's door is a pretty sweet little safety net and you can actually kinda abuse it sometimes.

just had a big scare. my level 3 healer wasn't appearing on my roster. went on a run and she returned from a vision quest. just a heads up so you guys don't worry if it happens to you.

420bits

Awesome game and totally worth the 20euros!

Question: In the Dolomite Estate map-tab you see the names of the levels and a progressbar that lets you fight the boss when it reaches 100%. But what does the number in the skull mean? the level of the boss? because it seems that the progressbar to open up the bosslevel doesnt stop once it fills up.

Begaria

I've been assuming that the higher the skull level on the dungeon, the higher tier dungeon runs you can do in that particular dungeon.

Funnily enough "tank classes" actually gain 2 hp from food cause they have a bigger HP pool.

Also death's door is a pretty sweet little safety net and you can actually kinda abuse it sometimes.
It's nice since to "save" someone all you need to do is have them at 1, till they get hit again. Makes damage over time effects scary though.

Also, I really enjoy how sometimes maxing stress can turn your hero into a bad ass. The dialog characters have is simply amazing.

Also, I wish food healed more but had a higher cost or have there be a dedicated healing item. I just feel so gimped without a healer.

This game is so amazing, absolutely love it. $20 well spent

My only complaint so far is for quests where you need to get X of an item (usually like 3 holy idols), the idols dont stack. It just seems kind of silly when we're already so inventory starved to have that happen.

The atmosphere in this game is awesome and that combined with the mechanics make being close to death/getting away such a thrill, it's so damn exciting!

Begaria

Could be, but my lvl 3 (skull) lets me do lvl 5 dungeons so it just seems a bit off.

Nah, that makes some kind of logical sense to me. It seems to me that Veteran Rank 1 characters can do Rank 1 and Rank 3 dungeon runs, but get more stress in Rank 3 since they're not equal to that dungeon's rank (a tool tip explains this at some point). A rank 3 Veteran would get more stress in a Rank 5 dungeon. There seems to be this 2 level difference that exists so having a Rank 3 Overall allowing access to a Rank 5 dungeon kind of makes sense.

So I've arrived at what I feel is an unbeatable party composition.

1.Hellion/Crusader, Hellion feels better offensively but if she gets knocked back nothing can be done. Crusader has a heal which is better than it seems and an amazing move forward skill in Holy Lance to keep him up front. Both have front line stuns. So these guys are interchangeable but I think I prefer Crusader for versatility.

2. Bounty Hunter, good damage with kind of broken range(can melee anyone from anywhere with Finish Him), an incredible stun/shuffle with absurd accuracy that can also hit anyone in Flash Bang, and a 2 space pull which is super important for certain packs. Overall he seems like by far the best class in the game. Oh and his camp skills are great too.

3. Occultist. Wyrd Reconstruction is BONKERS. Curse of Vulnerability synergizes well with Bounty Hunter and ups your damage output by a ton. Another pull which again feels super important sometimes so having a second one is good. The last skill is between Abyssal Artillery and Curse of Enfeeblement, I think Artillery might be better.

4. Plague Doctor. Combat Medicine saves so much damage from blight and bleeds it's crazy, plus it's obvious synergy with Wyrd Reconstruction. Blinding Gas is an amazing aoe stun for back lines which I use constantly. Then her blight attacks which are good auxiliary damage. With some blight charms, you almost always inflict the dot and the damage adds up quick, especially on boss fights.

Basically, I'm able to keep most things that aren't stun resistant completely locked between Blinding Gas, Flash Bang and the front line stuns. Anything resistant to stuns gets cursed, blighted and then bounty'd down. I use Wyrd Reconstruction often and early, it's very good but you don't want to fall behind with it since it can basically fail. If the bleed stacks at all get rid of it with combat medicine from the plague doctor.

With level 3 weapons and armor and some decent charms, this team has yet to even be remotely phased by any dungeon so far. I send them in with no torches, a ton of food, and one of each "key" on Long Rank 3 dungeons and they come back with nobody afflicted and just absurd amounts of loot.

Early on, I felt this game was a little too RNG heavy, but as I've been playing more and stumbling upon better and better compositions, I feel like I would have to get absurdly unlucky to fail a run now. Learning which items worked as keys for which intractables really helped lower the RNG factor. I also pretty much just spam flee anytime I'm surprised which doesn't really happen that often even at pitch black levels.

Overall, I think the devs could smooth out the early game a bit. This game is rarely actually unfair but it takes kind of a long time to get the hang of the plethora of mechanics so I think it may be a bit too punishing for new players. The mid game feels just right, and so far the late game (if you can call it that, the last two areas aren't in after all) is pretty easy, once you have more gold than you can spend and fully upgraded weapons you really just chew through stuff.

And the level 1 Hag is straight unfair. I can deal with that fight really easily now but the level 1 version needs to be toned down I feel.

I'm having a blast so I'm gonna finish out all the bosses than probably put it away until they add the final dungeon.

Anyone know what the relationship is between Red hook, Klei, and this game? I know they are all in Vancouver. Did Klei help them with production?

Really curious about this too, since Darkest Dungeon is the first game to peel my interest away from Invisible Inc., which is Klei's upcoming game (currently in early access). Invisible Inc. is sublime, I HIGHLY recommend it.

okiemok

Really curious about this too, since Darkest Dungeon is the first game to peel my interest away from Invisible Inc., which is Klei's upcoming game (currently in early access). Invisible Inc. is sublime, I HIGHLY recommend it.

Invisible Inc is on my radar ;>

When I look at the art presentation (in Darkest Dungeon), there is something Don't-Starve-esque about it, but as I recall that presentation was shown in the KS so possibly predates Klei's involvement.

inkls

You didn't have any pull abilities or abilities that could hit him behind his skeletons?

People are pissed that the game is "out" on Steam, so Red Hook wrote a very lengthy and polite (as they could be) comment on the KS comments page. The gist being "stop being assholes, you got what you paid for or didn't pay for".

Begaria

People are pissed that the game is "out" on Steam, so Red Hook wrote a very lengthy and polite (as they could be) comment on the KS comments page. The gist being "stop being assholes, you got what you paid for or didn't pay for".

It's bizarre to me that they have to explain this. It clearly said the $15 tier gets the full version and tier $20+ tier gets Early Access. I get there was a decent time frame between the Kickstarter ending and Early Access announcement, but come on...

Chariot

Very useful bit though:
As we've posted before, we will continue to let any $15 Nomad backer upgrade to Early Access and gain immediate access to the game, to help clear up any misunderstandings. The process is: PayPal $5 USD to biz at redhookgames dot com, then email backersupport at redhookgames dot com and we will send you an early access key and upgrade your pledge manually.
So 15$ guys, you can upgrade immediately if you so desire.

It's bizarre to me that they have to explain this. It clearly said the $15 tier gets the full version and tier $20+ tier gets Early Access. I get there was a decent time frame between the Kickstarter ending and Early Access announcement, but come on...

Nobody ever actually reads the Tiers and anytime you do anything that is less of giving the game away for free, you are labeled worse than EA.

People were complaining that people were playing the game on Twitch.

inkls

Nobody ever actually reads the Tiers and anytime you do anything that is less of giving the game away for free, you are labeled worse than EA.

People were complaining that people were playing the game on Twitch.

Wrong year, its ubisoft this year. Not to mention that this is not unusual for any game on release.

They get lost if you use em, if I remember correctly.

I'm talking about the items you can equip your characters with, not the provisions you buy. Unless you mean those can get lost, too.

Shift click is the command I think. Also, characters will gamble them away or lose them in others ways, so keep track of your best ones and remove when not actively using them on a dungeon.

I see, thanks.

Varvor

Oh yeah, Swine King is next to fall!

I am actually running out of things to upgrade. Soon all will be maxed, than what?

10960106_10155175308750032_8406638845804883739_o.jpg

Varvor

.... how?

Fuck no....RNGesus is dead! He won't smile upon you in these pits of damp hell.

Having restarted many time (over 25) to get sence of how to create a good group/combat scenario i was able to find a path i comfortable with.

This particular play through started out as following:

I tried to build 3 crack teams that would take turns at the dungeon as other are being de-stressed and de-traited. Furthermore i specialized in short to medium dungeons only with always taking: 8 Food/6 Torches/ 2-4 Shovels/ 2 Keys for Short and 12-16 Food/10 Torches/ 2-4 Shovels/ 2 Keys for Medium. This way my survival/comfort was put ahead of all alse.

Later on i found that my teams begun to crack in to level 3+ as result i begun to be limed by plays, so i dropped the squad set up and begun to arrange my mercs as per level basis, slowly levelling them out bit by bit to appropriate level. In addition you really need to put strong emphasis to guild followed by blacksmith to make them durable and deadly.

As for tips for characters: Healer must have AoE heal Asap, you can RNGit or just train her at guild hall, prioritize healer sprells to be maxed at all times and have 3-4 healers so you can swap them easy time.

As far as DPS is concerned at first i was prone to AoE only builds, but soon found the flaw in it (while its AMAZING vs Boss, coupled with Bleed) they cause the fights to drag out and will force additional stress on the party. I'd suggest to mix up both AoE and Direct skills per each toon to adapt with the fight.

10828116_10155175422350032_2970299307037796364_o.jpg

PS: Thus far i last only ONE merc, a rogue, he was a fucktarded syphilis infested prick anyway so no hard feeling there.

Klyka

Banned
.... how?

The game isn't really that hard or punishing once you understand how to put some decent party/skill synergy together and grind up your village a bit for the all important upgrades to guild/blacksmith

I'm on my second playthrough, the first one I abandoned after the first dungeon cause I did not know some mechanics at that point.

I have not lost a single mercenary, I have all lvl 3 and lvl 2 guys and my guild + blacksmith are on lvl 3/4 respectively.

Varvor

The game isn't really that hard or punishing once you understand how to put some decent party/skill synergy together and grind up your village a bit for the all important upgrades to guild/blacksmith

Exactly. I really need to practice with Bounty Hunter and Jester next time around. To see how they perform.

Klyka

Banned
Exactly. I really need to practice with Bounty Hunter and Jester next time around. To see how they perform.

Bounty Hunter + Occultist is pretty amazing.
Bounty Hunter crits and damage can be INSANE.

The Jester I feel is not really my class so far, i can't seem to find any actual place for him.

Sarcasm

So I kill the swing prince and get my reward. 4K gold and 2 of some resource...thats it!?

I lost three guys lol

inkls

I think they get replaced. Had one of my character get syphilis and when i exited the dungeon he already had so many negative debuffs that it didn`t display even when i removed 2.

Varvor

I think they get replaced. Had one of my character get syphilis and when i exited the dungeon he already had so many negative debuffs that it didn`t display even when i removed 2.

lol thats funny...

But i also noticed that burning scrolls will remove good perks as well.

Altima

I really want to play but I'd rather my first impression be of the finished game.

I am quite impress with the gameplay now but there is no story for early access which is the part that I concern the most.

If you are looking for good gameplay you should give it a try.

Varvor

I am quite impress with the gameplay now but there is no story for early access which is the part that I concern the most.

If you are looking for good gameplay you should give it a try.

There is a story as becomes obvious by intro and pre-boss narration. What we wont have is the resolution.

Most likely you will go mad by the end and every one dies.....but than again there is to be NG+.

Altima

There is a story as becomes obvious by intro and pre-boss narration. What we wont have is the resolution.

Most likely you will go mad by the end and every one dies.....but than again there is to be NG+.

I have to confess that I cannot listen to most part he said. I'm not English speaker :/

They should add subtitle in the full game.

johnsmith

remember me
Aaaah. I don't know what to do. I really want to play this, but I also don't want to play an unfinished game. But I can't wait 6 months. How many hours do you think you can get out of this before you max out the content that's in this build?

Top Bottom