• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Chariot

There is no subtitle option right now, is there? I want to read everything the narrator says.

Also, who are you? You seem to be an actual person in the game rather than some strategy game nebulous god that isn't acknowledged. Are you some journalist/reporter type who observes everything?
ipYnqG80r2Goi.jpg
Watch the intro, it's amazing! And you would actually know who you are, what you're doing and who the narrator is.

Chaos17

I don't think we're playing the same build of the game. Its not a appreciative to accuse people of playing the game wrong when RNG factors so heavily in every aspect, especially turn order and chance-to-flee. Yes you can mitigate things slightly and attempt to flee at every slight hindrance, but only if given the chance and that chance makes sense to take in context. I find it tiring wasting hours of gameplay because unseen and non-manipulable RNG decides it so. I don't think this game is difficult, Dark Souls is difficult, Darkest Dungeon is occasionally randomly unfair providing the illusion of difficulty. That said, somehow in some way, I enjoy it - maybe for what it could be in 6 months moreso than what it is now.

Imo, the decisions in combat would be more meaningful with a revealed turn order, especially if it insists on RNG over raw speed stat to determine who acts first.

Edit - Fleeing can most definitely fail.
That's actually the problem I saw here, on Steam and their forum.
Asking to balance and rely less on the RNG is regarded as asking to dumb down the game by rogue like lovers games.

:(

Volodja

Also there may be a bug with Afflictions showing properly or something.
One of my hellions has some minuses to her stats without having anything that would justify it, she just has -25% damage and -5 speed out of nowhere.
I'll put her in a stress recovery spot and see how it works out later.
It would piss me off to lose her because she has Hard Skinned

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There is no subtitle option right now, is there? I want to read everything the narrator says.

Also, who are you? You seem to be an actual person in the game rather than some strategy game nebulous god that isn't acknowledged. Are you some journalist/reporter type who observes everything?
ipYnqG80r2Goi.jpg

Watch the House of Ruin trailer. Itll tell you.

That's actually the problem I saw here, on Steam and their forum.
Asking to balance and rely less on the RNG is regarded as asking to dumb down the game by rogue like lovers games.

:(

I don't think the RNG needs to be toned down so much, just I think there need to be a few more tools given to the player to deal with it.

I think turn orders need to be visible at least partially. Also, I think fleeing from a battle needs to be guaranteed. Going into a fight with 90+ torch just to be surprised, having every position shuffled to the point of uselessness and the entire enemy team take action first is bad enough without there being a risk of failing to flee. If you think that makes it too easy, attach some kind of penalty to it, although to be honest this game is punishing enough without it.

And there needs to be some way to regenerate health out of combat. In later dungeons in my experience unless you are supremely lucky, there isn't a way to be successful without stalling at least a few fights per dungeon, and that's just not fun to do.

Give us potions or first aid kits as provisions that can only be used outside of combat and maybe take time (and thus torch) to work. Then add a system to prevent stalling in combat, like fatigue or ticking stress as combat wears on. Remove this mechanic in boss fights. This way you can salvage horrible situations with preparedness and gold investment, but you can't abuse combat for regen like you can now.

And some of the classes need work. The Jester seems amazing at first but quickly falls off as having your fourth position marginally buff you or SOMETIMES give you slight stress regen just doesn't cut it in later dungeons. I think part of the idea is his camping skills are supposed to be really good, which is an interesting idea but they aren't really that great. Grave Robbers also seem bad to me but I haven't played enough with them to have good insight there. Everyone else seems pretty strong in the right setups. I think it would be cool for Crusader to have some kind of Cover mechanic ala Final Fantasy. I don't even think it would be that strong especially if you made it impossible for him to dodge a Cover'd attack, but it would help those situations where your third or fourth position get randomly dumped on as happens kind of often in this game.

Also, I wish there was some way to force a certain class out of the stage coach. Im in like week 25 and have only seen one Bounty Hunter who got killed on his first outing. Sucks since they are probably the best class in the game except for maybe Hellion. Let me pay like 3k gold to hire one like a mercenary.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, ok. Apparently someone thought the Hag boss was fine for release.

Messes up your party order? check.
Remove one of your party from combat? check.
Attacks multiple times a round? check.
Debuffs your party? check.
Deathblow aoe? check.

And she's a level 1 encounter. Like fuck she is.

Deathblow aoe? check.

Yea the Hag is super broken.
I almost feel like she's not supposed to use Into the Pot as often as she does. As it is you pretty much have to go the entire fight with a 3 person party since she pretty much instantly does it again as soon as you release someone. And then the fact that she can just randomly act twice per round for seemingly no reason is super absurd.

I beat the fight with two Hellions, a Vestal spamming illuminate so the hellions never miss, and a plague doctor boiling alive the whole time. I only attacked the pot when she grabbed a Hellion and otherwise just bled the shit out of her and ignored it. She still killed the doctor and very nearly one of the Hellions. But yea, I think it's best to treat this fight like a dps race, which is really shaky design in a game so RNG dependent.

Lanrutcon

Yea the Hag is super broken.
I almost feel like she's not supposed to use Into the Pot as often as she does. As it is you pretty much have to go the entire fight with a 3 person party since she pretty much instantly does it again as soon as you release someone. And then the fact that she can just randomly act twice per round for seemingly no reason is super absurd.

I beat the fight with two Hellions, a Vestal spamming illuminate so the hellions never miss, and a plague doctor boiling alive the whole time. I only attacked the pot when she grabbed a Hellion and otherwise just bled the shit out of her and ignored it. She still killed the doctor and very nearly one of the Hellions. But yea, I think it's best to treat this fight like a dps race, which is really shaky design in a game so RNG dependent.

I ragequit on my last attempt when the pot dodged 2 attacks in a row.

When the stationery 0 dodge pot dodged 2 attacks in a row.

Chariot

Deathblow aoe? check.

She killed my Leper :/
I agree. Something about her is off. At the very least she shouldn't attack twice.

So, I've been doing real well with just throwing disposables into the fray in order to just upgrade.

Have not touched my mains in hours.

Deathblow aoe? check.

She killed two of my best fighters and I miraculously won the fight. Totaly
agree that she's too much.

Brohan

I guess i got incredibly lucky killing the hag with a noob team and without taking any casualties.
Might be because i had a MVP jester that went stalwart.

Fight was definitely super hard though.

A lot of valid complaints in this thread; I have faith that they'll make the most of Early Access and tweak the game accordingly.

I need to chime in with what's been bugging me the most though: what's up with the Bounty Hunter's "Hook and Slice" skill? It makes no sense--an attack with damage reduction for no apparent benefit. It's worse than "Finish Him" in every respect. Why does this skill exist? Granted, I haven't ever used it, just read the description, so maybe it functions differently from the text? Red Hook pls.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

Deathblow aoe? check.

I beat Hag on my first try, with one party member already dead (so I went into the battle with three). All I did was whack the pot if she swallowed a low-health hero until she tossed in a high-health hero. Once that hero was in the pot I just burned the hag herself down ASAP - ignoring the pot and letting the hero take damage. Her attacks aren't that bad, so really I just had one hero in the pot taking 2-4 damage each turn, and the hag doling out a little more damage. Felt manageable.

I dunno if this is a legit "strat" or not, but mostly ignoring the pot and just burning her down worked for me no problem.

The Swine Prince on the other hand.... I'm 100% stumped on him. Don't have a clue how to get past him.

Chaos17

Deathblow aoe? check.

Yeah, that's why I would have like the posibility to go beat her with my lvl 3 heroes, but no i couldn't... So instead I'm farming dungeons to upgrade town so I can give decent equipements and skills to my futurs heroes to go beat her in hope that many of them surivive TwT

Volodja

I beat Hag on my first try, with one party member already dead (so I went into the battle with three). All I did was whack the pot if she swallowed a low-health hero until she tossed in a high-health hero. Once that hero was in the pot I just burned the hag herself down ASAP - ignoring the pot and letting the hero take damage. Her attacks aren't that bad, so really I just had one hero in the pot taking 2-4 damage each turn, and the hag doling out a little more damage. Felt manageable.

I dunno if this is a legit "strat" or not, but mostly ignoring the pot and just burning her down worked for me no problem.

The Swine Prince on the other hand.... I'm 100% stumped on him. Don't have a clue how to get past him.
I had the awful idea of killing the little dude with the Swine Prince.
I won't be doing that again.

You inherit the estate which sits upon the Darkest Dungeon.

You need to purge the dungeon of the creatures/cultists and what not but you clearly can't handle yourself in a fight.

Therefore you need to hire mercenaries to do the fighting for you while you make your way through the various infested areas of the estate.
Ah, right, thanks for that.

Ala Alba

The Sanitarium keeps curing the wrong effect.
Last time it was Rabid on my Leper. Stupid Sanitarium I didn't want you to cure that, it was free damage, FREE DAMAGE. You had to cure the Tetanus.

Are you actually clicking on the trait you want it to remove?

Klyka

Banned
Week 16, got one lvl 3, eight lvl 2 and four lvl 1 guys.

Haven't lost an adventurer yet.
Got blacksmith to lvl 3 armor and weapon, Guild to lvl 2.

Been going on risky delves with low light a lot to get more money. The stress you get from abandoning a quest is not really that bad.

Game is still fun and once I got a nice lvl 3 party all upgraded I'll delve into the riskier missions. Also gotta get one of the bosses down with my lvl 2 guys.

Begaria

Also there may be a bug with Afflictions showing properly or something.
One of my hellions has some minuses to her stats without having anything that would justify it, she just has -25% damage and -5 speed out of nowhere.
I'll put her in a stress recovery spot and see how it works out later.
It would piss me off to lose her because she has Hard Skinned

This has happened to me twice. It has to be a bug. I fixed one character by upgrading their weapon and the other was fixed by removing some random dark affliction.

Zaptruder

Banned

Yes. The Sanitarium seems to treat the trait you want to remove as a 'helpful suggestion' rather than the thing it should remove.

I thought it wasn't working at all until I checked the logs and found it removing traits I didn't care about.

Volodja

This has happened to me twice. It has to be a bug. I fixed one character by upgrading their weapon and the other was fixed by removing some random dark affliction.
Usually I just put a trinket on them and then take it away and the stats are refreshed but this time it isn't working. I also took away her only condition.
I think that minuses to stats that you get before exiting a dungeon may not be taken fully away in some cases.
They may however be refreshed when you bring them on another run because it happened to one guy.
I'll have to check with this hellion, the problem is that she is really nerfed right now so if it ends up not being the case she's gonna be really awful to have around for that run.

I sure am.
I've had it on two characters that had a trait that when selected wasn't deleted and was consistently the last trait that was taken away only when no other was left.

WORLDTree

Deathblow aoe? check.

I have to echo the sentiments of another poster and say I must have gotten lucky or something. I fought both her and Apprentice Necromancer today and AN was most definitely the harder fight by a longshot. The way I see it you really just need people who deal good damage to back-row positions. The pot itself really doesn't do that much damage per turn so even for a squishy character its like ten turns to Death's door. That's more than enough time to just DPS Rush through her 60 some HP. So in the fight only attack the pot if one of your DPS gets thrown in. Otherwise its kinda weird that you do want some kind of support just to sit in there and boil while you kill her since her moves really don't do that much damage compared to you.

Although I do agree that the boss needs changing. The way I feel is best to beat her as described above is really counter-intuitive and doesn't feel satisfying or tense at all, since if you do get a good pick she dies relatively quickly with little resistance.

Klyka

Banned
So I just got a Jester who has a "Warrior Cap" equipped. And it says he has 298 of them. And I can pull it into my trinket inventory and it will just create one in there without taking his away. So I can create unlimited Warrior Caps D:

WORLDTree

So I just got a Jester who has a "Warrior Cap" equipped. And it says he has 298 of them. And I can pull it into my trinket inventory and it will just create one in there without taking his away. So I can create unlimited Warrior Caps D:

Congratulations, you've found the cornerstone of every Darkest Dungeon Speed-run going forward. How does it feel?

Chaos17

So what you all are saying is don't fight any bosses until fully upgraded.
Yeah, probably it is a way for us to hope to have a balanced fight with stronger heroes and not to have to sacrifice a goat to please the RNG god, lol.

Best party for a boss run?
For the necromancer, you need characters that can reach second and third row/place becaue he usually hide behind adds/mobs. I rarely had to chance to move it in front.

For the hag it's more difficult because she hide behind a pot that take 2 places/row.
So you need attacks to reach her (3 place/row) since she won't be moving at all.
For example, the poor leeper, if my memory i right he doen't have any skills that allow to attack third place.

Yeah, probably it is a way for us to hope to have a balanced fight with stronger heroes and not to have to sacrifice a goat to please the RNG god, lol.

For the necromancer, you need characters that can reach second and third row/place becaue he usually hide behind adds/mobs. I rarely had to chance to move it in front.

For the hag it's more difficult because she hide behind a pot that take 2 places/row.
So you need attacks to reach her (3 place/row) since she won't be moving at all.
For example, the poor leeper, if my memory i right he doen't have any skills that allow to attack third place.

So basically Hellions.

Okay then.

Best party for a boss run?

I went with Crusader/Vestal/Plague Doctor/Jester. I basically turtled my way through the dungeon. Healing with the vestal, curing blight/bleeding with the doc and managing stress with the jester. Slow but effective, but I got completely overwhelmed at the boss. I'm thinking of swapping in a bounty hunter for the doc and just buying heaps of bandages and cures.

Teknoman

What does damage mod mean? If its a negative amount, then...say the attack damage rating will be reduce by that percent?

Begaria

*rolls eyes*

Fighting some swines in the Warrens. This one swine vomits three separate times in three separate rounds on my Crusader and gave him Rabies, Tetanus, and Syphilis. Jesus.

Edit:
Ugh, sometimes I really, REALLY hate the random events that can happen when leaving someone at a stress relief place. I just lost a really good trinket for my best highwayman and my one and only Hellion that was on my A team took off (hopefully she'll be back).

Played for a little under an hour. Liking it but I've run into two issues.

1. I had major slowdown during combat unless I switched to windowed mode. Not a big deal but annoying because the window is only so big.

2. I keep running into a glitch that I can't click on anything on the town. I have to completely close the game and re-launch to fix it.

On a Mac, btw.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
2 damage critical !!

+20 stress

.....WTF

Sometimes an enemy attack is intentionally a stress attack. It's usually pretty thematic, like blood being thrown on you, or one of the pig-men vomiting on you. The "crit" isn't to your health - it's to your stress.

Varvor

Afaik you're selling all the stuff you still got in the inventory after finishing a dungeon.

I feel this being not the case. I remember buying so much gear that my gold was 0 before the mission. Upon completion of said mention i got the bounty gold as well as exchanging in exact value of items/gold found.... which yielded back total of 6.6k gold. But i still had at least 2.5k of supplies in my inventory....all i got was 6.5k not 9k gold in the end.

Rather its not selling the supplies correctly (bug) or its not intended to sell....in my experience at least.

Id like to get some feedback from my fellow dungeon crawlers.

Top Bottom