• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Begaria

If you put someone into the Tavern or Abbey to cool off, generally you will get them back after completing a dungeon run. Certain character classes get better stress relief from either the Tavern or the Abbey. For example, the Crusader and Vestals (I've noticed) get better stress relief from the Abbey and from Praying. More rougher explorer's like the Highwayman or Grave Robber will get better use of the Tavern. You're supposed to watch how much mental stress gets reduced for a particular class and either note it down or remember which is best for that class.

Something that's also cool AND annoying at the same time is that sometimes a character will actually straight out leave for a little bit if you put them in to stress relief when you're supposed to get them back. I've had a few party members leave for a "journey of self discovery" or some such after meditating at the Abbey only for them to come back after a couple of dungeon runs. I imagine some of them will just not come back at some point.

Chaos17

I would LOVE the ability to pay $5 more to start playing now. It's going to kill me to see people playing this game for the next 6+ months while I'm watching from the sidelines.

You can try to contact them directly at : backersupport at redhookgames dot com
That's what they told me on twitter.

LordAlu

Got damn! The first area after the tutorial I lost two of my adventures to some ridiculous crits. This game is hard!

I did make it through the next two runs well enough though. It's hella fun!

Tak3n

Banned
I do appreciate this post will probably be met with aghast, but this would be brilliant on a tablet....

5taquitos

From the Kickstarter comments:

Hello $15 backers: If you'd like to upgrade, send $5 via PayPal to biz at redhookgames dot com. Then email backersupport at redhookgames dot com with your confirmation. We'll get you manually upgraded. Please be patient as we are currently inundated with requests, but we'll get it done! Thank you for your support.

Will definitely be doing this tonight.

Karak

If you put someone into the Tavern or Abbey to cool off, generally you will get them back after completing a dungeon run. Certain character classes get better stress relief from either the Tavern or the Abbey. For example, the Crusader and Vestals (I've noticed) get better stress relief from the Abbey and from Praying. More rougher explorer's like the Highwayman or Grave Robber will get better use of the Tavern. You're supposed to watch how much mental stress gets reduced for a particular class and either note it down or remember which is best for that class.

Something that's also cool AND annoying at the same time is that sometimes a character will actually straight out leave for a little bit if you put them in to stress relief when you're supposed to get them back. I've had a few party members leave for a "journey of self discovery" or some such after meditating at the Abbey only for them to come back after a couple of dungeon runs. I imagine some of them will just not come back at some point.
A couple of my playthroughs for my early access review I had a good deal of guys just up and leave. Leaving me with 3 good characters and a bevy of 100% stressed dudes. Sort of sucked.

Fevaweva

It is weird to me that this is the first game I will ever get from Kickstarter when it wasn't even close to the first game I kickstarted.

DMiz

*Really* tempted to pick this up. I try not to pick up Early Access games, but given the amount of great impressions that I've seen coming from this title, coupled with the fact that there's a GAFfer onboard the staff, I'm teetering on the edge.

Ravijn

*Really* tempted to pick this up. I try not to pick up Early Access games, but given the amount of great impressions that I've seen coming from this title, coupled with the fact that there's a GAFfer onboard the staff, I'm teetering on the edge.

I'm with you. I've been watching a few videos and the game looks like something I would really enjoy.

Begaria

Like some of us have said, this is an extremely well polished Early Access game. There's a few bugs here and there and there will likely be balancing patches a long the way, but you can totally sink dozens of hours into this game. It's going to take awhile to get a good group of characters to Rank 5/6 and complete the three dungeons available, and even then you can just keep playing it.

The only thing I'm unsure of is when it does become a full retail release, if the developers are going to wipe saves or remove progress. I'd love to be able to build my village up to a certain point, get a good group of party members to a high level, and then jump into the next two dungeons. Even if they do wipe progress, at least playing the Early Access will give you enough comprehension to make the game easier upon full release.

Ooccoo

The only thing I hate so far is how luck-based the encounters can be. A single "Dodge" can completely destroy you.

Begaria

The only thing I hate so far is how luck-based the encounters can be. A single "Dodge" can completely destroy you.

Yeah, the very beginning of the game can be super luck based to the point of being ridiculous. As you go along you'll rank up the skills your character's will use which will increase their Accuracy, get buffs that increase your accuracy, and there are also camping buffs that increase accuracy. I don't like using the Leper due to his inherent low accuracy since missing in this game is completely devastating.

Chaos17

Yeah, actually there're 2 groups of players :
1) Rpg lovers who prefer to loose because of a mistake
2) Rogue lovers who love the RNG so it makes things harder

I'm personally from the first group because it's indeed really frustrating to have the ennemies AoE skills you more than 4 times in the same battle. Either you kill them fast enough or you CC them to mitigate damage.

Strangely killing them fast work better for me at the moment o_O'
So I've to unlock any AoE skills I can.

daammyy

Yeah, actually there're 2 groups of players :
1) Rpg lovers who prefer to loose because of a mistake
2) Rogue lovers who love the RNG so it makes things harder

I'm personally from the first group because it's indeed really frustrating to have the ennemies AoE skills you more than 4 times in the same battle. Either you kill them fast enough or you CC them to mitigate damage.

Strangely killing them fast work better for me at the moment o_O'
So I've to unlock any AoE skills I can.

Im having the same issue, went for the CC route first and it didnt go as well as i had hoped so switching tactics, goign for more damage. Hope it works out.

And yea im from the first category aswell.

Varvor

So whats the outfitting concensus on the party?

Grab max AoE and tons of food and torches? Anyhing alse is a must?

It seems that my peeps go insnane from stress in no time and only way to heal them is post battle with food.

Begaria

Thr only one part that bugs me is that on completion of dungeon does all your supplies desapear or can inretreave it somehow?

According to Chariot, the OP, any unused provisions you've bought are automatically sold back to the vendor for their gold equivalent upon dungeon completion. I haven't noticed this myself considering I pretty much use all of the provisions I buy. So I guess it's not so bad to stock up on shovels and keys!

Varvor

According to Chariot, the OP, any unused provisions you've bought are automatically sold back to the vendor for their gold equivalent upon dungeon completion. I haven't noticed this myself considering I pretty much use all of the provisions I buy. So I guess it's not so bad to stock up on shovels and keys!

Oh thats actually really good. So i dont have to worry about overspending and over equiping my party.

Plunder on my stalwart raiders, plunder on!!

Chaos17

9K players playing at the moment the game.
I'm happy for the dev.

So whats the outfitting concensus on the party?

Grab max AoE and tons of food and torches? Anyhing alse is a must?

It seems that my peeps go insnane from stress in no time and only way to heal them is post battle with food.

- Take a Vestal/healer so you will be able to heal your party.
- Take a Plague doctor with you so you will be able to cure bleed and blight if you don't wanna spend too much money on items at the begining of the game.
- New character will build up easely stress so be sure to keep your torch up but 4 torches are enough for short dungeon.

Varvor

Never buy games in early access, but I def just impulse bought this.

I been doing way too much of EA support recently:

Starpoint Gemini 2 (Freelancer like game)
DayZ
H1Z1
Sunnless Sea
And now this game as well.

They are all good games in their right.

Now that inthink about it my last 5 game purchases on steam have been EA in past 8 months.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sunless Sea is about to launch. Also Lovecraftian if you joes like that in Darkest Dungeon.

Varvor

Sunless Sea is about to launch. Also Lovecraftian if you joes like that in Darkest Dungeon.

After writing that post it came to me that these two games have much in common. Taking a quick peak on Steam it says its due to lunch on Feb 6.

So there ya go folks, if ya looking for something diffrent yet with in the same vain of survival, micromanagemnt snd dark gloom...yengot your self another game to check out.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Anyone have any tips for the Swine Prince? I found him to be MUCH harder than the Hag, who supposedly comes after.

Swine Prince hit my entire party for 8-10 damage twice each turn, with a chance for each strike to stun each party member. Even with a maxed-out 3-resolve party I'm not sure how to cope with that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
40k viewers on twitch. That seems like a lot for an indie game that wasnt getting a huge amount of hype, even if it just released.

Rom1944

Can you keep up going when you are out of money? or do i need to restart.

love the style of the game and the narrator.

Just now played it for about an hour. I fucking love it, wanna play more, but need to go to bed :(.

Best looking game I've seen in a while. And excellent, excellent writing!

Klyka

Banned
You can technically just run whatever heroes you have available through a short dungeon and then abandon quest when you get some loot.

This. Heroes are free. You can literally send shitters into a dungeon,grab some dosh, go out and then send those guys away if they are too fucked. I don't really get what people's problems with this game are, it's all manageable.

Top Bottom