• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Ferrio

Banned
I keep restarting, think my characters keep getting a raw fucking deal.

So only way to get xp is actually finish a quest? Also man order changing attacks can fuck you over bad. One at the start of the fight and it's pretty shitty, since you have to bubble back up to where you were... you can take like 4 rounds swtching places.

Sarcasm

Not on my steam. It's not even on the top 10.

Here is mine:

mytopo2u8f.png

Ferrio

Banned
Okay finally got the first quest done. A lot of luck, didn't have a healer or anything.

edit: The healer I did have went insane, and stole all my treasure. Bitch got the boot.

Does anyone know if the game 'assess' your roster of current heroes to determine what difficulty of dungeon you can run? Three times I tried going on a quest and continued to get rocked and have people die. Then after that I feel like an older/easier quest popped up from before. Would of been nice to be able to run that before but I guess they actually don't want you to grind everything easily. It just sucks now because I'm broken and over half my roster is stressed. Will probably start over and try to play smarter.

Ferrio

Banned
Is the only way to advance time go into the dungeon?

Also this has to be the best narrator ever, better than Bastion

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
It seems to be the only way to pass time. I keep a "crap" team around so I can go into a dungeon and then abandon to progress time.

The time progression needs to be refined (actually restructured), because doing a fake/abandon run borderlines exploit.

The Foul

Played it a fair bit since release, I'm beginning to think the reason its so popular on streams is the "Five Nights at Freddys" aesthetic of torturing the player. Its fun to watch someone hopelessly fail, not as much fun to experience it. I wish the dev had waited 6 months and just released a finished product, the great exposure for this game is being spent on an incomplete version and ppl like me will burn out on this version in a few days with little reason to return for more punishment when its finished.

After witnessing a fair bit of what this game has to offer, I conclude that its undoubtedly beautifully crafted and engaging. Its just such a shame one has to resort to cheesing to even remotely stand a chance against the RNG (cycling for decent heros in the stage coach by sending useless recruits on suicide missions... stun-locking enemies to heal your party because you arbitrarily cannot heal outside battle etc etc). Really drags the play-time out and not in a good/fun way.

As it stands, stunning an enemy only to have the RNG turn order let them take 2 turns and recover before you can react again isn't "Dark Souls difficulty", its horseshit, and I'm pretty close to writing the game off.

Ludovico

Bought it the second it went up on steam today, and finally got to play after I got home.

Two and a half non-stop hours later - the game is good.

Prioritizing stuns and debuffs is helping me so much now, and I really like all the classes I've collected so far.
Only aggravation is not being able to switch member positions when the insanity hits full swing, it just creates a deadlock of zero options and hoping the rng swings your way. But alas, I'm sure I'll be able to mitigate it once the game really starts to open up.

Chariot

I don't think that Darkest Dungeon is too difficult. It's supposed to be difficult and otherwise the affliction system would be for naught. I would refer to Shadow of Mordor and it's amazing Nemesis system. Most people didn't really get anything out of it because the game was too easy and one rarely died, especially after a few upgrades.

--
Your post is awesome. Just as a note, I think I know what you're trying to say here (it's like strategic, right?), but to me strategy RPG makes it sound like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics, and I don't think DD is quite in that same genre.
Thanks! And yeah, I changed "strategy" to "strategic" now.

Does SPD (speed) have anything to do with turns?
Yes, it does. However it's weird sometimes. Generally heroes and enemies with higher speed make their turn first, but there is some random element involved. Sometimes the round ends with one character and the next starts with the same.

Lanrutcon

Man. What is up with the Jester. Only class with decent stress management. Complete ass otherwise in the only spot where said stress management can be used.

Meh.

Chariot

Man. What is up with the Jester. Only class with decent stress management. Complete ass otherwise in the only spot where said stress management can be used.

Meh.
Jester got a second song that can buff the party. Also usable at the back position.

Lanrutcon

Jester got a second song that can buff the party. Also usable at the back position.

Only lasts 2 turns, and later on you can't have any of your party members not be able to contribute damage. Jester needs a ranged attack of some sort.

Chariot

Only lasts 2 turns, and later on you can't have any of your party members not be able to contribute damage. Jester needs a ranged attack of some sort.
Really? My favorite team only has two damage dealers with Jester and Vestal being support.

UberLevi

Picked this up earlier and played for a few hours. Totally digging it.

Jester and Highwayman are total pros, I love them. The game is challenging, but it rewards smart behavior which is satisfying. The most difficult thing about the game for me is just finding the right heirlooms on dungeon runs to properly upgrade my town.

Can't wait to see where this game goes from here.

Shy

i think i'm going to have to start again.
all my guys have gone mental or are on the edge, i've got NO money and haven't upgraded my blacksmith and fighter's guild. and i've hardly done any missions.

what am i doing wrong GAF. ?

also, playing this makes me want a P.C. port of dragon's crown. but that's never going to happen. :(

Lanrutcon

i think i'm going to have to start again.
all my guys have gone mental or are on the edge, i've got NO money and haven't upgraded my blacksmith and fighter's guild. and i've hardly done any missions.

what am i doing wrong GAF. ?

also, playing this makes me want a P.C. port of dragon's crown. but that's never going to happen. :(

RNG can and will screw you. What you need to do is let go of any attachment to your heroes. You have an infinite amount of them. If your current ones are fucked, then get new ones.

Tizoc

Seems the game is #1 top seller on Steam atm, with GTA being #3.

Looking forward to playing this on my Vita.

So I am enjoying the game a lot but I have a question and I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or not.

How can I tell whose turn is next? It just seems random. I can't tell which enemy is going to strike next or which of mine's turn is next. Am I missing something obvious or is it random right now? To know this seems kind of crucial in a game like this.

Chariot

So I am enjoying the game a lot but I have a question and I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or not.

How can I tell whose turn is next? It just seems random. I can't tell which enemy is going to strike next or which of mine's turn is next. Am I missing something obvious or is it random right now? To know this seems kind of crucial in a game like this.
No, that's one of the most common complaints. There isn't a turn list and the SPD-value only vaguely gives an idea of who is faster, because it's including a random value. So, you can only guess.

It's not completely random, certain characters or monsters are faster than the others but no, there is no indicator of turn order or anything like that.

Chariot

It's not completely random, certain characters or monsters are faster than the others but no, there is no indicator of turn order or anything like that.
The problem is that there has to be a random value. That can have enough value that a hero can both ending one round and starting the next one.

The problem is that there has to be a random value. That can have enough value that a hero can both ending one round and starting the next one.
Yep, there is certainly some sort of RNG involved. Personally I'm fine with that - it adds more tension since you cannot rely on definite turn order.
My biggest problem so far with RNG are monster's crits - two crits in a row and you can say goodbye to your party member - AND they're adding additional stress on top of that.

Chariot

Yep, there is certainly some sort of RNG involved. Personally I'm fine with that - it adds more tension since you cannot rely on definite turn order.
My biggest problem so far with RNG are monster's crits - two crits in a row and you can say goodbye to your party member - AND they're adding additional stress on top of that.
A good method to avoid that is having Plague Doctor and Bounty Hunter for stuns. They're very reliable and taking out one or two hard hitting enemies can help a lot.
Another would be repositioning of enemies with the Bounty Hunter. As your heroes, enemies need to be at certain positions to use certain abilities. Ranged enemies get visibly weaker when put on the frontline.

loving the game so far. how do i cure afflictions brought on by stress? they arent available for removal in the hospital menu.
Sometimes people randomly heal from one after curing their stress in any way. For direct healing send them to the Sanitarium.

No, that's one of the most common complaints. There isn't a turn list and the SPD-value only vaguely gives an idea of who is faster, because it's including a random value. So, you can only guess.

I see. Thanks for the info on SPD because I didn't know that, still learning the game. That'll help.

Chaos17

loving the game so far. how do i cure afflictions brought on by stress? they arent available for removal in the hospital menu.

These afflications go away when you leave dungeon as long at you put your character on a stress relief facility like the bar and the abbey.
Sanitorium i only to remove bad traits not affliction as you saw.

Chaos17

I keep restarting, think my characters keep getting a raw fucking deal.

So only way to get xp is actually finish a quest? Also man order changing attacks can fuck you over bad. One at the start of the fight and it's pretty shitty, since you have to bubble back up to where you were... you can take like 4 rounds swtching places.
Yes, abondining a quest is only usefull to keep the loots/ressources for your town beside that they're only downsides : no exp and more stress.
That's why people make B/trash team so they can toss them.

I did that too at the begining until I noticed that Helion is a must have for any beginner/low level team.
Here is a setup that I recommand for Trash or beginner team :
- tank (any that have AoE skills)
- Helion (she has cool AoE Skills)
- Plage doctor (to cure bleed and blight since items are expensive when you start the game)
- Vestal (heal)

Why Helion and not Highway man/Jester/Grave Robber/ Man with tentacule (forgot his name) ?
They usually miss more than Helion until you upgrade their skills and they've less HP.
Also, I recommand only that setup for low level characters or people who start the game so for people who doesn't have enough money to buy cure items to replace the plague doctor. When you will be confortable with money you can replace her.

If your hereos keep being suprised, unlock skills that will make them move foward, like the holy lance of the crusader that will move him up from place 3 to the front.

I need some fucking pro tips because holy shit this game is kicking my ass.
Maybe this will hekp you : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150500168&postcount=185

Zingerale

Banned
The button for escaping the dungeon was so small I didn't even know you could escape a dungeon at the beginning.

Also, is there a hunger meter?

I'm not sure I like the whole idea of hiring new people, throwing them at dungeon hoping they'll survive against RNG, failing and escaping with some loot, only to dismiss those poor overstressed fellows and hire new fodder to repeat the whole process.
Since it's my first (afair) early access game, it's fun to think about it and its systems as a WIP product. I'd say - limit the amount of new people available, make first dungeon easier - so that you could really focus on few parties and deal with their after-effects - that'll make things more personal.

Wanace

Game is hard as hell. So cool though, the voice overs, the graphics, the whole thing oozes style. Hard to believe it's still early access.

There are a few annoyances, like comments from the characters covering buttons at times.

Chariot

I'm not sure I like the whole idea of hiring new people, throwing them at dungeon hoping they'll survive against RNG, failing and escaping with some loot, only to dismiss those poor overstressed fellows and hire new fodder to repeat the whole process.
I didn't play it like that. Made it fine with my bunch of people, had three die in my beginning phase and two to bosses, but generally made it out fine. I didn't even know about escaping fights and dungeons until a few weeks in :p
It's certainly possible, just a bit of planning and a ounce of luck.

Do you even go in the quest?
I don't understand what you're asking.

Zaptruder

Banned
Jester's party buff shouldn't be underestimated. Giving your characters more acc/crit ups the chance of proccing crits that help to reduce stress.

If you chain together a lucky string of crits, it can actually help to reduce party stress much faster than just singing the song.

With the jester in the third spot, he can also contribute to damage dealing with his bleed attacks.

GOAT party is Jester, Vestal, Bounty Hunter, Hellion. Manages stress, heals, and can stun lock an enemy to allow you to refresh your party and keep them healthy.

... It probably needs to be better balanced because that's almost a mandatory strategy for getting anywhere decent with the game.

Chariot

... It probably needs to be better balanced because that's almost a mandatory strategy for getting anywhere decent with the game.
Yeah, we really need someone else than the Jester for direct stress heal, even if it is not as good. Like there are alternatives to the Vestal.

Sarcasm

I didn't play it like that. Made it fine with my bunch of people, had three die in my beginning phase and two to bosses, but generally made it out fine. I didn't even know about escaping fights and dungeons until a few weeks in :p
It's certainly possible, just a bit of planning and a ounce of luck.

I don't understand what you're asking.

Well I meant do not go and no in, sorry on my phone. Rest of it just read the quotes.

Volodja

I've had decent success in the boss run with a team made of

Back double heal Vestal (party heal every turn, single heal whenever somebody goes critical, in rare cases hits from the backline)
Highwayman second to last (for the damage dealing on an area but can be any damage dealer from that position)
Third to last battle Vestal (party heal whenever necessary otherwise she actually spends a lot of time meleeing)
First Crusader (his healing ability makes the party able to recover from unlucky turns faster)

A a ton of healing for crises. It is a pretty ignorant team, however, meaning that they don't move anything around, they are just hitting and surviving. A couple stuns and 1 bleed but that's all.

But now my good crusader is level 3 so I can't use it anymore until I bring 3 other characeters to that level.
As other people said, some rebalancing is needed, having to just throw 4 idiots to death to pass a bad set of dungeon runs is pretty weird.

Also looking at the numbers I feel like the only skills worth leveling up are heals and buffs.
The other skills give you like 5 accuracy and 1% crit chance, the heals give much better improvements.
In general skill and equipment level up seems relatively minimal for the investment required.

Shinjica

I've had decent success in the boss run with a team made of

Back double heal Vestal (party heal every turn, single heal whenever somebody goes critical, in rare cases hits from the backline)
Highwayman second to last (for the damage dealing on an area but can be any damage dealer from that position)
Third to last battle Vestal (party heal whenever necessary otherwise she actually spends a lot of time meleeing)
First Crusader (his healing ability makes the party able to recover from unlucky turns faster)

In general a ton of healing for crises. It is a pretty ignorant team, however, meaning that they don't move anything around, they are just hitting and surviving.

But now my good crusader is level 3 so I can't use it anymore until I bring 3 other characeters to that level.
As other people said, some rebalancing is needed, having to just throw 4 idiots to death to pass a bad set of dungeon runs is pretty weird.

Why you cant use an overleveled character in easy dungeon?

Chariot

Well I meant do not go and no in, sorry on my phone. Rest of it just read the quotes.
Well, yes. You of course always take quests. Btu part of burning through heroes is to abandon them, no? Otherwise you can just finish them and keep your people.

What's 'acc' stand for?
Accuracy.
Why you cant use an overleveled character in easy dungeon?
They don't want to anymore and refuse to go in.

StaSeb

I am thinking about getting the EA-version to play on my tablet. Is has 4 Gigs of RAM, Win 8.1 and an core-i5 3337U with integrated graphics.

Do you guys think this will run well? And is the interface touch-input-friendly?

Top Bottom