• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Really loving the game, glad I backed it all those months ago. Can't wait for the next update, though, as it crashes a hellton. Thankfully, it always picks up where you were before it crashed. That's a nice surprise, as the first time that happened I had just beaten the Necromancer after barely getting through.

Really loving the narration! Hope there are more lines in future updates.

Rom1944

This. Heroes are free. You can literally send shitters into a dungeon,grab some dosh, go out and then send those guys away if they are too fucked. I don't really get what people's problems with this game are, it's all manageable.

Yeah got to get rid of the mentality that my guys are indispensable i will keep with my game as the goal is to claim your family state not to make some mercenaries rich lol.

Yeah got to get rid of the mentality that my guys are indispensable i will keep with my game as the goal is to claim your family state not to make some mercenaries rich lol.

Yeah but you have to level up some guys so you can take on tougher challenges unless they start giving you higher level guys automatically.

Klyka

Banned
As far as I can tell,there is no artificial time limit in the game,correct?

Like, you never need to rush at all,right?

There won't be some "At week 10 a huge monster attacks your town and you better have 4 lvl 6 dudes to kill it" right?

Cause if the game has no timelimit,you can grind the shit out of it with the free and constantly refilling heroes. Grinding > difficulty

There won't be some "At week 10 a huge monster attacks your town and you better have 4 lvl 6 dudes to kill it" right?

Cause if the game has no timelimit,you can grind the shit out of it with the free and constantly refilling heroes. Grinding > difficulty

Problem is that later paths to upgrade you need items that you can only get in more difficult dungeons.

inkls

any fixes for the game crashing after you load a save with only a pic of the town appearing before the crash? Tried everything in the list of fixes, doesn't seem to help.

Klyka

Banned
Problem is that later paths to upgrade you need items that you can only get in more difficult dungeons.

Yes, but it also means you will never truly run into an unwinnable scenario.
You will always be able to get heroes to higher levels, you will be able to grind lots of gold and resources. Resources you only need once per upgrade in a building. Then you use your gold to instantly outfit your heroes with better armor/weapons/skills.

The game never truly beats you completely down to the point you can't just build up again.
You can get a few higher level guys going, then grind with unimportant mooks you constantly change out, then buy upgrades for the higher level ones and unlock new content with them. Rinse and repeat.

Chaos17

Town event are yet to be implemented.
So in futur updates, you will see probably this :

TownEventMockup.jpg

Full game release may change your experience from EA with all the features, imo.

Begaria

So what is the recommended town upgrades (aka get what first)?

Guild and Blacksmith are my recommended upgrades to go for first. The Guild allows you to upgrade a class' skills and the Blacksmith upgrades weapons and armor. Splitting upgrades between the Abbey and Tavern are good for stress relief, and the Sanitarium is super good to upgrade to bring down the costs of getting rid of Dark quirks. Getting the Caravan to the point where you can have 13 people in your roster allows you to have three teams of four (+1!), and the Survivalist upgrading only brings down the cost of unlocking more Survival skills. Lastly, there is trinket merchant (Nomad Wagon), which in my opinion, is basically useless since you find accessories and the accessories cost so damn much to the point where it's way better to put your gold into upgrading skills/gear/ and getting provisions.

TLDR:

1. Guild = Smith
2. Abbey = Tavern > Sanitarium
3. Caravan (though getting to 13 people on the roster is important) > Survivalist
4. Nomad Wagon, and honestly, probably don't even upgrade it until very late game.

Neoweee

Great stuff. What's there is great, but a few missing features and general interface issues are clearly on the docket for implementation. After one failed excursion, I can highly recommend. Totally worth the $20 to support good, meaty, indie-RPGs.

Iryx

Anyone else having issues with not getting any missions for the Warrens? I've seen like 2 or 3 and they were all Lvl 5 missions.

Sölf

This game, so fucking hard. But damn it's fun. I pretty much died in my very first run in the Ruins (lost 3 of my 4 dudes but finished the quest). Problem was, I only could recruit 3 more guys (only upgraded once) and send my 4th dude (the only survivor) for stress relive somewhere. Couldn't do anything, so I thought "Maybe leaving the game and coming back will give me more heroes".

Welp, the save file bugged out completely, I had like 11 heroes in my team, got gold but all tutorials refreshed and whatever. I just restarted.

I had severe problems getting money until I thought "Eh, just go grab some stuff with people who are already wrecked" (didn't know you could just send them away, so I basically send them to their death xD). But now it's a bit better. I have a few guys with resolve level 1 and upgraded a bit more stuff. It's definitly fun, but damn, it's so friggin hard. I love it! xD

Volodja

One of my adventurers is at the same time God Fearing and Witness.
Meaning that he can only Pray to lower his Stress...but he also can't Pray because the Witness trait makes him unable to.

Huh..cool, I guess.
Off to the Sanitarium you go.

Begaria

I just lost my Rank 2 Crusader and Leper that also had Rank 2 skills and gear upgrades to the easiest enemies on a Rank 1 Skirmish in the Ruins due to three straight dodges, three straight crits by the enemies and them going crazy. That kind of sucked.

So whats the outfitting concensus on the party?

Grab max AoE and tons of food and torches? Anyhing alse is a must?

It seems that my peeps go insnane from stress in no time and only way to heal them is post battle with food.

For short raids, Jester/Vestal/2 Hellions works wonders.

Jester and Vestal are great for stress and damage reduction.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Darkest Dungeon top seller on steam. Thats crazy. But they have gotten a ton of word of mouth support from twitch streamers and critics. Interesting road this kickstarter has taken.

Here's a dumb question: how do I set up camp? Can you only do it at specific locations? Do I still need to unlock it? Is there simply a button I'm overlooking?

kafiend

Here's a dumb question: how do I set up camp? Can you only do it at specific locations? Do I still need to unlock it? Is there simply a button I'm overlooking?

Trips longer than "short" you get firewood automatically which you use by right clicking. You choose the amount of food to eat at that point and have some skill points to spend on buffing/healing your party.

Camping is alloed in mid and long dungeon.
Game will automoacly give you woodfire and give you a short notice about it.

Trips longer than "short" you get firewood automatically which you use by right clicking. You choose the amount of food to eat at that point and have some skill points to spend on buffing/healing your party.

I see, I was hoping it would allow me to heal my party whenever I want, because I'm having trouble completing the first quest.

I've made 3 runs on the first dungeon, and so far they've all gone like this: I win 2-3 fights, all members are at single-digit hp or at death's door, I abandon the mission in fear of mass casualties. It seems I can't use my vestal's healing outside of battle, and healing with food seems very inefficient.

Soooo... how do I keep my party in decent shape? Stock up on massive piles of food? Manage healing in fights? Or just be better at the game and take less damage?

EDIT: It seems I can only ask questions in triples today.

Ooccoo

I really want to like this game but I can't.

It has awesome 2D animations and graphics, great gameplay and good music.

HOWEVER, it's way too punishing in an unfun kind of way. Like I've said before, the whole "dodge" and "crit" values are very random. The thing is I never feel in control of the situation even when I should like when my torch is 75+ and I still get surprised. WTF

I understand permadeath might be fun for some people but to me losing a character which you just upgraded leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I just suck but I think the game is a bit too hard.

Chaos17

I see, I was hoping it would allow me to heal my party whenever I want, because I'm having trouble completing the first quest.

I've made 3 runs on the first dungeon, and so far they've all gone like this: I win 2-3 fights, all members are at single-digit hp or at death's door, I abandon the mission in fear of mass casualties. It seems I can't use my vestal's healing outside of battle, and healing with food seems very inefficient.

Soooo... how do I keep my party in decent shape? Stock up on massive piles of food? Manage healing in fights? Or just be better at the game and take less damage?

EDIT: It seems I can only ask questions in triples today.

Maybe this guide can help you : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Personally speaking :
Keep a vestal with you and dedicate her to heal.
Keep a plague doctor to cure bleed and blight if you don't have anough money to invest in items.
Unlock any AoE skills you can, faster you kill the ennemies less stress and HP loss.
There is no shame in retreating in this game. Better keep the loots than loosing them.
Toss new members out of your group if you don't have enough money to make them loose their stress.
Get level 2 skills ax fat as possible.

Keep in mind that the upgrades of your town are more important than your heroes because they're permanent and you can't loose them instead of the heroes.
You will pay less for everything and be able ot invest gold in upgrading skills and equipements or buy more items for your runs. Better skills and better equipements will let your heores survive easier.

Sarcasm

Game always crashes WHEN I exit. At least that is the only issue.

Question about the...place that takes away traits (or w/e it is the red things on right side that cause negative effects)...

Maybe this guide can help you : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=385431020

Personally speaking :
Keep a vestal with you and dedicate her to heal.
Keep a plague doctor to cure bleed and blight if you don't have anough money to invest in items.
Unlock any AoE skills you can, faster you kill the ennemies less stress and HP loss.
There is no shame in retreating in this game. Better keep the loots than loosing them.
Toss new members out of your group if you don't have enough money to make them loose their stress.
Get level 2 skills ax fat as possible.

Keep in mind that the upgrades of your town are more important than your heroes because they're permanent and you can't loose them instead of the heroes.
You will pay less for everything and be able ot invest gold in upgrading skills and equipements or buy more items for your runs. Better skills and better equipements will let your heores survive easier.

I'll give it a read, thanks!

Played for about 1.5 hours earlier. Feels like I'm on a never-ending treadmill of hope and despair. I question whether or not adventurers would piss themselves scared so quickly...kinda feels a bit forced. Combat also feels too - a lot of waiting around for animations, dialog bubbles and what-not. That's cool at first, but sometimes I'd rather just get through the battle stuff, ya know?

I really feel that food system is broken, two rooms in on a medium length I had to eat... another room in and they had to eat again... two more rooms in they starve, another room in and it asks to camp... and starve... I couldn't get to the Necromancer because with 4 rooms in all my characters were almost dead/stressed due to starvation!

Had to run from my first dungeon. My Vestal hit 100% stress, became selfish and proceeded to stress out all my other party members! We ran screaming into the night.

I think I'm going to have to kick out some of my terrible party members. My Occultist couldn't hit the side of a barn unless it's pitch black and I'm in no way ready for that!

Neoweee

Nifty concept, but it feels like the difficulty curve is completely fucked. My quest log gets flooded with Rank 3 quests, but I don't even have any Rank 2 guys, and anyone I send completely flips the fuck out when the quest starts. That save file is basically completely fucked now, I don't think I can get my ahead above water with the people, stress levels, and gold that I have.

If you lose a character during the tutorial, just restart. There's not much room to dick around in the early game.

Some suggestions:
- Include battle speed options.
- Increase the default # of adventurers at the wagon to 3, so you have more wiggle room without hampering your ability to quickly upgrade the Guild/Blacksmith.
- Honestly, if it's going to be a Rogue-like, you should have more variance and customziation to play with early on. I feel like I'm at the complete mercy of RNJesus for tutorial and first two dungeons-- no way to upgrade, insignificant choice on party members, etc.

Fee

I just lost 4 hours to this game so quick, that's always the mark of a great game for me. It's made me debate if i want to continue playing or wait until the game is finished to play a version that's even better.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just finished the tutorial and two missions. I really like squad mission based gameplay like this. It's very reminiscent of XCOM: EU, but clearly less forgiving. I haven't lost anyone yet and I think my upgrades are coming along nicely. I'm trying to stick with short missions first just to get a few level 1 characters as a base.

Nifty concept, but it feels like the difficulty curve is completely fucked. My quest log gets flooded with Rank 3 quests, but I don't even have any Rank 2 guys, and anyone I send completely flips the fuck out when the quest starts. That save file is basically completely fucked now, I don't think I can get my ahead above water with the people, stress levels, and gold that I have.

If you lose a character during the tutorial, just restart. There's not much room to dick around in the early game.

Some suggestions:
- Include battle speed options.
- Increase the default # of adventurers at the wagon to 3, so you have more wiggle room without hampering your ability to quickly upgrade the Guild/Blacksmith.
Yeah im finding it frustrating unbalanced. I feel like enemies don't play by the same game rules the player does. They hit far more often then the player and usually Dodge more often as well. If I stun an enemy they should not be able to dodge me and the to hit chance should be higher so my opportunity to miss should be lower in general. The idea that characters are expendable is silly since you can never level or upgrade anyone unless you complete missions with them, so no progress can be made if you are just always quitting dungeons or getting characters killed.

This game needs a lot of balance work. Right now from outset it's all heavily balanced against the player and it's a mountain to get over not a hill.

I did get my first level 3 character but now he sits on the sideline since no one else is level 3 and he can't do level 1 (another stupid roadblock, put a penalty not limitations).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah im finding it frustrating unbalanced. I feel like enemies don't play by the same game rules the player does. They hit far more often then the player and usually Dodge more often as well. If I stun an enemy they should not be able to dodge me and the to hit chance should be higher so my opportunity to miss should be lower in general. The idea that characters are expendable is silly since you can never level or upgrade anyone unless you complete missions with them, so no progress can be made if you are just always quitting dungeons or getting characters killed.

This game needs a lot of balance work. Right now from outset it's all heavily balanced against the player and it's a mountain to get over not a hill.

I did get my first level 3 character but now he sits on the sideline since no one else is level 3 and he can't do level 1 (another stupid roadblock, put a penalty not limitations).

I just worry they balance too much in the other direction and make it so cascade failures cant happen.

Top Bottom