• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Early Access: Darkest Dungeon |OT| Death Is The Only Promise

Ala Alba

Bounty Hunters have another skill which Marks their target. If you use the Collect Bounty skill on a marked target, it will double the damage of their attack. A Bounty Hunter with a high crit rate and good accuracy can absolutely destroy their targets. My highest crit so far is 53 damage which straight up killed a Rank 3 dungeon Large enemy that had 48 HP :D

Bounty Hunters are basically the best class in the game in my opinion. They can deal double damage, knock back or pull enemies out of place (two different skills), hit any enemy from any spot and if that enemy is stunned it will deal 40% more damage...they're just fantastic. They're definitely a bright spot on any team.

Best skills that I use: Collect Bounty (double damage on Marked), the Marking ability, and either the knock back or pull forward skill (I like pull forward better), if you have another stunner use Finish Him (ranged to any spot) for that extra damage on the stunned, of if you don't have a stunner use Flashbang for stuns.

I have yet to get a Bounty Hunter from the Caravan. :(

Bounty Hunters have another skill which Marks their target. If you use the Collect Bounty skill on a marked target, it will double the damage of their attack. A Bounty Hunter with a high crit rate and good accuracy can absolutely destroy their targets. My highest crit so far is 53 damage which straight up killed a Rank 3 dungeon Large enemy that had 48 HP :D

Bounty Hunters are basically the best class in the game in my opinion. They can deal double damage, knock back or pull enemies out of place (two different skills), hit any enemy from any spot and if that enemy is stunned it will deal 40% more damage...they're just fantastic. They're definitely a bright spot on any team.

Best skills that I use: Collect Bounty (double damage on Marked), the Marking ability, and either the knock back or pull forward skill (I like pull forward better), if you have another stunner use Finish Him (ranged to any spot) for that extra damage on the stunned, of if you don't have a stunner use Flashbang for stuns.

Ooh, that sounds great. Thanks for the lenghty explanation!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If you're finding the game too hard:

1. You can run from battle at literally any time, with 0 penalty. It's 100% your fault if you lose someone permanently. Unlucky crits and other craziness can ruin a run, but only you can make the choice to let it result in death. If someone is on Death's Door, leave the battle.

2. Selecting an attack and mousing over an enemy will tell you exactly what your % to hit is, what your damage range will be, and so-on. If an enemy has 6 health, don't attack them with something that had a 67% chance to hit for 4-6 damage thinking that will take them out.

1. You can run from battle at literally any time, with 0 penalty. It's 100% your fault if you lose someone permanently. Unlucky crits and other craziness can ruin a run, but only you can make the choice to let it result in death. If someone is on Death's Door, leave the battle.
The problem is that without a proper turn system its all chance. I had one fight kill a character before I even had a turn and you can't run until your turn.

Edit: BTW are the devs keeping an eye on this thread or should I start only posting feedback on steam forums.

Volodja

2. Selecting an attack and mousing over an enemy will tell you exactly what your % to hit is, what your damage range will be, and so-on. If an enemy has 6 health, don't attack them with something that had a 67% chance to hit for 4-6 damage thinking that will take them out.
Fleeing can fail.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The problem is that without a proper turn system its all chance. I had one fight kill a character before I even had a turn and you can't run until your turn.

Edit: BTW are the devs keeping an eye on this thread or should I start only posting feedback on steam forums.

Yes, you can get into a situation where the enemy goes ~3x in a row and a critical hit and unlucky Death's Door dice roll can hose you, but I'd wager most (all?) of the people complaining about difficulty in this topic aren't talking about that. They simply aren't fleeing.

If your favorite hero was low on health when the encounter started... that's your fault. You could have abandoned the dungeon.

And if they weren't low on health, it's very unlikely they'll die in the first round. If you stick around in combat after getting thumped in round 1, that's your fault too.

Fleeing can fail.

I don't think that's true.

Iryx

Pretty sure fleeing chance is dependent on your torchlight, I've only had it fail when at 25 or lower.

Begaria

Fleeing can indeed fail. It happened to me a single time from the handful of times I've had to flee so far.

Chariot

So what are the actual benefits from low light?
Benefits? There is at least one trait that gives your hero a bonus for being in low light. Other than that, not really. It's generally good to have high light. Better Scouting Chance, better loot, better chance to see traps and apparently better fleeing chance.

Omnicent

Yes, you can get into a situation where the enemy goes ~3x in a row and a critical hit and unlucky Death's Door dice roll can hose you, but I'd wager most (all?) of the people complaining about difficulty in this topic aren't talking about that. They simply aren't fleeing.

If your favorite hero was low on health when the encounter started... that's your fault. You could have abandoned the dungeon.

And if they weren't low on health, it's very unlikely they'll die in the first round. If you stick around in combat after getting thumped in round 1, that's your fault too.

no it can fail. My entire team that are in the graveyard can attest to that.

Pretty sure fleeing chance is dependent on your torchlight, I've only had it fail when at 25 or lower.
Nope, as I keep my torch above 76 and still have instances where I have failed to flee (multiple tries in a row).

Chariot

I thought low light resulted in hard fights but better loot.
With loot I meant stuff that stands around in passages. It could very well be that you get harder fights that bring better loot with them in low light.
Nope, as I keep my torch above 76 and still have instances where I have failed to flee (multiple tries in a row).
Well, looks like I got just very lucky then.

Volodja

Really? Never happened to me, be it a boss or a random encounter.I think you're reaching them better on the steam forums or the official Darkest Dungeon forums.
As people said, it can fail, I also had full light I think when I started that fight.
I used the command 3 times in the whole game and it failed once so the chance can't be that low...or am I just that unlucky?

The Foul

I don't think we're playing the same build of the game. Its not a appreciative to accuse people of playing the game wrong when RNG factors so heavily in every aspect, especially turn order and chance-to-flee. Yes you can mitigate things slightly and attempt to flee at every slight hindrance, but only if given the chance and that chance makes sense to take in context. I find it tiring wasting hours of gameplay because unseen and non-manipulable RNG decides it so. I don't think this game is difficult, Dark Souls is difficult, Darkest Dungeon is occasionally randomly unfair providing the illusion of difficulty. That said, somehow in some way, I enjoy it - maybe for what it could be in 6 months moreso than what it is now.

Imo, the decisions in combat would be more meaningful with a revealed turn order, especially if it insists on RNG over raw speed stat to determine who acts first.

Edit - Fleeing can most definitely fail.

Chariot

I do think that they should take a lot of RNG elements out of the combat. They can still have a lot of it in the dungeon creation and the contents in the passages.

--
As people said, it can fail, I also had full light I think when I started that fight.
I used the command 3 times in the whole game and it failed once so the chance can't be that low...or am I just that unlucky?
Since we have no indicator we actually can't tell if I am just very lucky or you very unlucky.

does anybody else loot certain things with certain classes? eg graves with graverobber and altars with priestess. It seems like they are good at countering the possible negatives from the loot

Raide

Never heard of this but I have been watching videos of it for hours now. Will probably wait for it to drop in price a bit on Steam and will pick it up.

Chariot

does anybody else loot certain things with certain classes? eg graves with graverobber and altars with priestess. It seems like they are good at countering the possible negatives from the loot
Yes, you are supposed to do that. Plague Doctor for alchemist tables, occultists for books and scrolls.

foamdino

I had a run the other day with a party of new-ish chars. Got to the last three rooms and lost the whole party.

I was trying to get better loot by having low light (and my god that worked really well - every fight was dumping so much loot that I was having to prioritise what to pick up). Problem was that they were so stressed out that I had very little control, so when trying to flee it either failed or the character refused (because of "selfish/paranoia/irrational" traits).

I've also tried to flee in other situations and been unable to do it even with 75-80 torchlight. There may be some torch related improvement to fleeing, but in my experience, fleeing is not a get out of jail card (and it shouldn't be as the game is supposed to be punishingly difficult and you are supposed to lose characters).

How do I leave a dungeon? I messed up the first dungeon you go into after arriving in town and want to escape, I can't for the life of me figure it out. I went to the first room and thought there would be a door there to exist, but it doesn't seem like there is.

Chariot

How do I leave a dungeon? I messed up the first dungeon you go into after arriving in town and want to escape, I can't for the life of me figure it out. I went to the first room and thought there would be a door there to exist, but it doesn't seem like there is.
In the top left, right under the quest description, there should be a tiny white flag. You can leave from anywhere.

Begaria

In the top left, right under the quest description, there should be a tiny white flag. You can leave from anywhere.

Adding to that: Your characters will suffer heavy mental stress for leaving before completion. You do not get the quest rewards, but you do get to keep everything you found before fleeing.

Klyka

Banned
Party and skill composition are EVERYTHING in this game.
Switching my party around a bit just made me run 3 quests in a row where I came out with less stress than before I entered each time.

Neoweee

Another big issue: all of your supplies are trashed after each mission, even things like Shovels and Keys. Each dungeon, you're basically making a bet on "How many random events am I going to come across that depend on these?". It just seems so unnecessarily punitive. Torches and Food, okay, but the rest?

Chariot

Another big issue: all of your supplies are trashed after each mission, even things like Shovels and Keys. Each dungeon, you're basically making a bet on "How many random events am I going to come across that depend on these?". It just seems so unnecessarily punitive. Torches and Food, okay, but the rest?
Afaik you're selling all the stuff you still got in the inventory after finishing a dungeon.

Man I really love the look of this game. Think I'm going to wait till it's done and hits Sony platforms, but boy does it have style.

I'm having a shitty day at work and I get paid tomorrow so I'm buying this tonight.

Let's hope I can find my 440's when I get home.

Tried my first torchless run just to pass time, think I'll be doing much more of those from now on with new adventurers. Walked away with 12k gold and surprisingly little stress in a single short Lv. 1 quest. Also one dead Occultist, but eh, he knew the risks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sölf

Week 22, defeated my first boss. This game is so awesome and by now I pretty much have a favorite group and my people don't die as often anymore. And torches, so many torches. 75+ light = best light. All these suprise attacks on enemies, so gud. :3

Begaria

I'm thinking after you get a few upgrades into the Guild and Blacksmith and then get a few adventurers to Rank 1 (to be able to use the Blacksmith), then low light Rank 1 Dungeon runs will be very lucrative. You'll have a beefier party through better weapons, armor, and skills. Trying to do a low light run with Rank 0 adventurers without being upgraded might be tough. I did a low light run with Rank 2 adventurers all using Rank 2 gear and skills and it was very manageable and I walked with a bunch of good loot.

Edit:

Oh yeah, medium Rank 1 runs would be way better than short runs. Camp stress relief would be very beneficial.

Sölf

Yeah, well, I am no way near that point, especially with Blacksmith and skill upgrades (I only have Weapon Smith Rank 1 currently). I will probably do stuff like this later on, but not now. xD

My bounty hunter triggered his obsession with religion (hagomania?) when we walked past a confession booth, and slipped inside. "Gondar has been purged of hagomania." Very well then :p.

Volodja

The Sanitarium keeps curing the wrong effect.
Last time it was Rabid on my Leper. Stupid Sanitarium I didn't want you to cure that, it was free damage, FREE DAMAGE. You had to cure the Tetanus.

There is no subtitle option right now, is there? I want to read everything the narrator says.

Also, who are you? You seem to be an actual person in the game rather than some strategy game nebulous god that isn't acknowledged. Are you some journalist/reporter type who observes everything?
ipYnqG80r2Goi.jpg

muffs92

You inherit the estate which sits upon the Darkest Dungeon.

You need to purge the dungeon of the creatures/cultists and what not but you clearly can't handle yourself in a fight.

Therefore you need to hire mercenaries to do the fighting for you while you make your way through the various infested areas of the estate.

Top Bottom