• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

Exr

Walked into my store and grabbed the last copy. Cant play till after work but please keep the impressions comming.

The load times don't seem any better than when it came out last year, so I don't think so. They made this game mostly with the 360's built-in install function in mind and didn't bother programming a ps3 equivalent so it's basically spooling everything off the disc while loading is mostly instantaneous on 360. It does seem like there is a degree of caching going on though, as load times do seem to decrease over time. Initially I got about 30-40 seconds, then it settled to around 20-25 depending on the level.
Thanks for this insight, makes a lot of sense!

The Japanese players found a nice grind spot, I've been farming higher level weapons on mission
11 inferno, turns out the edf grunts can complete it by themselves..you just have to survive long enough to reap the rewards..not easy at first, there's a small bunkerlike area that a road runs through..a lifesaver!
Finally got my missle turrets, lvl 26!

good to know. will do this with my import copy while i wait for tomorrow to come since the front office at my complex closes at 5pm.

i mean seriously, 5pm? what the fuck? my copy is just SITTING UP THERE until tomorrow evening.

I need a sniper limpet..and it refuses to drop :( I'll be here forever if I don't stop farming, got a bunch of other air raids and armored vehicles and mechs, but I just want a good sniper with remote detonated rounds :( maybe I'll try again on 30, I do have a sniper turret!

good to know. will do this with my import copy while i wait for tomorrow to come since the front office at my complex closes at 5pm.

i mean seriously, 5pm? what the fuck? my copy is just SITTING UP THERE until tomorrow evening.
I know that feel, imagine that happening on a day the leasing office decides to close 30 minutes early because why not and the whole walk there you think you've got time to spare ..rage is an understatement.

Yeah, Amazon/UPS fucked me. The UPS website says the game was in Atlanta on Sunday night, and then tonight it left Montgomery. What happened in between? It's a mystery! Amazon's order tracking, using data provided by UPS, offers a similar but different tale. In their version my game left Atlanta last night and showed up at my local office this morning in time for delivery. And then tonight it left Montgomery. Which is 200 miles from here, incidentally.

This is what happens you don't buy digitally. I hate discs.

culafia

Im almost 20 levels in. It's really fun so far.

The initial vibe I'm getting is that the consequence of having more EDF content is that the content is less tight than 2017. That said, having decently populated servers on PS3 and getting 125 missions of EDF w/ season pass is enough to keep me happy.

And yes, I did buy dat season pass.

Ding II

First impressions! (About an hour's worth of play.)

Awesome. Wonderful. I consider EDF 2017 to be one of my top 5 games of the just-past generation, and from what I saw from 2025's initial play, this might turn out to be just as good. I'm really happy. Me and my two buds all received the game today, and we played levels one and two, on both Easy and Normal. We each tried a couple classes.

The Good:

• It's EDF! I mean it seems just like 2017 in tone and mood. Similar menus, music, and crazy over the top voice work. But maybe turned up an extra notch over that of EDF 2017. It definitely seems like the production values are a bit higher.
  • That PaleWingDiverWhatever character class. Wow. I had no idea she was so mobile. She's freaking fast! And she can get way up there! I see why people were bummed that she wasn't in 2017. Game changer. The other classes seem interesting, too.
  • The weapons seem as great as ever. Actually, they seem even greater. And I've only seen Level 0 stuff for the most part. Even the lowest level gear seems super entertaining.

The Less Good:

• Hmm, I didn't notice anything.... Oh! That "Weapon Level Limit". That seems super-dumb. There appears to be an option to turn it off, but said option is grayed out.
  • The weapon drops aren't shared. It seems like that could lead to some people getting a lot more weapon drops than others during co-op play. Trying to make sure everybody picks up a similar number of crates sounds like a huge PITA. Ideally, you'd want the closest (or fastest) character to feel free to grab everything, and just sort it out later.
The weapon level limit hasn't been an issue yet, but I hope it doesn't turn into one. In my mind the "correct" way to play EDF is to find a level that you can play at an "unusually" high difficulty, and then grind that sucker for above average weapon drops. Get a great weapon? Super, now use that weapon to grind that level at an even higher difficulty. Rinse and repeat. Once you've got all the sweet weaponry the level wants to part with, repeat the process on some later level you're similarly good at. I will be super disappointed if the weapon limit prevents me from doing this. (For instance, if I want to grind level 11 on Inferno in hopes of getting some sweet sniper rifle, I don't want to game to limit me on the weapons I can take in with me. All weapons I currently possess should be fair game.)

And maybe that's how it will work. It may not turn out to be an issue at all. Maybe the drops on a particular level will never be higher than the cap for that level, meaning that you'll probably want to farm a later level anyway for the best drops. Hopefully.

Still, I'd rather that setting be toggle-able from the get go. I'm getting the impression that the option to change that setting will unlock once I've "beaten" most of the game? That's how the Vita version of 2017 worked, apparently. Does anybody know?

Shiv47

This was bad on the import PS3 version, but it's just as bad on the NA version - the load times. It's an average of 3-5 minutes per level. It's brutal.

tanuki

Think I'm gonna skip this and wait for the inevitable EDF PS4 game. A bit burnt out after playing the Vita port.

Philthy

This was bad on the import PS3 version, but it's just as bad on the NA version - the load times. It's an average of 3-5 minutes per level. It's brutal.

I've just hit level 16, the longest I've seen is about one minute to load, if that.

Shiv47

Mine have been at most 2 minutes, never had anywhere near 4, yet..are you guts timing it by going 1 one thousand, 1 one thousand, etc?

We used a timer on my phone. I'm wondering if it's something with my PS3, maybe the hard drive going. Yet I don't notice it with other games.

Shiv47

Maybe someone can test mission 12 and see if the same happens, I'd hope it wasn't your PS3.

It was taking roughly that long every mission, that just happened to be the one that we finally timed because it was making my friend go crazy sitting and waiting.

FUME5

I wasn't bothered by the fact that the game doesn't come out over here until the 28th, but after reading the Polygon review I've got chants of EDF! EDF! going though my head.
I should have imported.

*EDIT* Well, I can wait and pay $65 for the disc, or buy it digital off the marketplace for $89.95!!!!

Daigoro

my copy is sitting in my coffee table at home unopened. can't wait to get home from work to dig in!

there is a season pass for this game? I didn't see the option on 360 wheni went to purchase those free weapon packs...

First impressions! (About an hour's worth of play.)

Awesome. Wonderful. I consider EDF 2017 to be one of my top 5 games of the just-past generation, and from what I saw from 2025's initial play, this might turn out to be just as good. I'm really happy. Me and my two buds all received the game today, and we played levels one and two, on both Easy and Normal. We each tried a couple classes.

The Good:

• It's EDF! I mean it seems just like 2017 in tone and mood. Similar menus, music, and crazy over the top voice work. But maybe turned up an extra notch over that of EDF 2017. It definitely seems like the production values are a bit higher.
  • That PaleWingDiverWhatever character class. Wow. I had no idea she was so mobile. She's freaking fast! And she can get way up there! I see why people were bummed that she wasn't in 2017. Game changer. The other classes seem interesting, too.
  • The weapons seem as great as ever. Actually, they seem even greater. And I've only seen Level 0 stuff for the most part. Even the lowest level gear seems super entertaining.

The Less Good:

• Hmm, I didn't notice anything.... Oh! That "Weapon Level Limit". That seems super-dumb. There appears to be an option to turn it off, but said option is grayed out.
  • The weapon drops aren't shared. It seems like that could lead to some people getting a lot more weapon drops than others during co-op play. Trying to make sure everybody picks up a similar number of crates sounds like a huge PITA. Ideally, you'd want the closest (or fastest) character to feel free to grab everything, and just sort it out later.
The weapon level limit hasn't been an issue yet, but I hope it doesn't turn into one. In my mind the "correct" way to play EDF is to find a level that you can play at an "unusually" high difficulty, and then grind that sucker for above average weapon drops. Get a great weapon? Super, now use that weapon to grind that level at an even higher difficulty. Rinse and repeat. Once you've got all the sweet weaponry the level wants to part with, repeat the process on some later level you're similarly good at. I will be super disappointed if the weapon limit prevents me from doing this. (For instance, if I want to grind level 11 on Inferno in hopes of getting some sweet sniper rifle, I don't want to game to limit me on the weapons I can take in with me. All weapons I currently possess should be fair game.)

And maybe that's how it will work. It may not turn out to be an issue at all. Maybe the drops on a particular level will never be higher than the cap for that level, meaning that you'll probably want to farm a later level anyway for the best drops. Hopefully.

Still, I'd rather that setting be toggle-able from the get go. I'm getting the impression that the option to change that setting will unlock once I've "beaten" most of the game? That's how the Vita version of 2017 worked, apparently. Does anybody know?

Thanks for the impressions!

if the option is greyed out, I assume it's unlockable after a certain point. in the vita version it's something like unlock 70% of all weapons. so yeah...

but NO on the weapon pickups! that sucks! on vita it didn't matter who picked up what, everyone got all pickups. this will seriously add to the grind. :/

This is so much fun. I love using wing diver with the ridiculous overpowered explosives from up high and the bugs go flying just like 2017.

The frame rate is not good on ps3. Its probably the same though on 360.

Wish they would just do a bare bones ps4 version with a solid frame rate.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
My friend and I just timed the load into level 12, and it was 4:50.

Mine have been at most 2 minutes, never had anywhere near 4, yet..are you guts timing it by going 1 one thousand, 1 one thousand, etc?

What on earth? I've had the Japanese retail copy since launch and I don't think I've ever broken 1 minute for loads. Playing my copy now and watching the clock I'm averaging between 20 and 30 seconds per load now that I've gone through a few missions.

Maybe there's a problem with the PSN version because it should not take that long...

bender

What time is it?
Only in split screen, otherwise they are about the same.

Maybe the US version got updated because the difference in the Japanese version was vast. I usually don't complain about performance issues but I found the PS3 version unplayable.

Maybe the US version got updated because the difference in the Japanese version was vast. I usually don't complain about performance issues but I found the PS3 version unplayable.

I was just watching some YouTube videos of the 360 version after playing the ps3 version for the first 4 missions tonight.

The difference is significant. Both systems have a poor frame rate but when the 360 drops it looks like it gets down to 20fps or so, the ps3 is anywhere from 10-15fps a lot of the time when flying wing diver and shooting explosives at the ground.

It starts to affect the playability of the game. I might pick up the 360 version this weekend if it continues to get worse on ps3. I was hoping to not have to hook up the 360 again :(

bender

What time is it?
I was just watching some YouTube videos of the 360 version after playing the ps3 version for the first 4 missions tonight.

The difference is significant. Both systems have a poor frame rate but when the 360 drops it looks like it gets down to 20fps or so, the ps3 is anywhere from 10-15fps a lot of the time when flying wing diver and shooting explosives at the ground.

It starts to affect the playability of the game. I might pick up the 360 version this weekend if it continues to get worse on ps3. I was hoping to not have to hook up the 360 again :(

Just wait until you get to missions with more and more enemies which will not take long. I think Pale Wing has a laser machine gun which fires a helluva lot faster on the 360 version than on the PS3 version. The difference is like night and day. Makes me wish I still had a 360.

This was all based on the vanilla versions of the PS3/360 Japanese versions and playing solo.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Is the US 360 version of this game region locked? I have a J360 (and a US 360 which I do not feel like hooking up) and the stuff about the PS3 version sounds like I'm lucky my purchase was put off for a bit or else I'd be stuck with it, so I'm considering going 360 instead.

Its really funny to see a developer having the same problems with ps3 development that a lot of games had in 2006, except this is one of the last noteworthy releases for the system..

The specter of the cell/RSX is alive and well.

eastx

Is the US 360 version of this game region locked? I have a J360 (and a US 360 which I do not feel like hooking up) and the stuff about the PS3 version sounds like I'm lucky my purchase was put off for a bit or else I'd be stuck with it, so I'm considering going 360 instead.

The Japanese version is region locked, so it's likely the US version is too. I won't be able to test it for a few days though.

angelic

Banned
My JP ps3 disc copy never has these 2-4 minute load times, same with another person on here..around 40 secs, caching and reducing over time.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
My JP ps3 disc copy never has these 2-4 minute load times, same with another person on here..around 40 secs, caching and reducing over time.

I never had 4 min load times either on the japanese PS3 release and I got to mission 34 or 35 before getting distracted/not finishing.

RyType

Is the ps3 version really unbearable...? Am planning on doing a split screen co op with a friend, we both loved 2017 (and global on the ps2) would have preferred to play it on the ps3 really...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is the ps3 version really unbearable...? Am planning on doing a split screen co op with a friend, we both loved 2017 (and global on the ps2) would have preferred to play it on the ps3 really...

The PS3 version is fine. If you're an EDF fan, you won't have a problem with it.

I wasn't bothered by the fact that the game doesn't come out over here until the 28th, but after reading the Polygon review I've got chants of EDF! EDF! going though my head.
I should have imported.

*EDIT* Well, I can wait and pay $65 for the disc, or buy it digital off the marketplace for $89.95!!!!

Damn that's some premium pricing compared to the series roots as a Simple 2000 game.

Daigoro

"I'm busy defending the Earth!"
"Did you tell her you lover her?"
"That wont work!"

oh baby EDF! feels good to be back.

looks like its up on the 360 Markeplace already, thats nice. $49.99.

er, i had a question to ask, but i forget. going to go play more now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Apologies if I've missed any answers to this but does EDF 2025 work ok with the Dualshock 4 plugged into the PS3 ?

The PS3 version is fine. If you're an EDF fan, you won't have a problem with it.

I haven't played splitscreen/, but even in single player, the fra!erate is distracting at best, interferes with playability at worst on ps3.

I would look up some video footage of both versions if you can.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
The controls for the Fencer are weird, why do I have to swap weapons to perform a power jump/ power slide?

With that being said, I still find the character pretty fun, dual-wielding hammers is great!

Briarios

I ended up ordering the 360 version after buying the PS3 version simply because my nephew was getting 360, so I wanted someone to play online with. I returned the PS3 version but it still have the Amazon promotional code ... So, if you're looking for the Amazon weapons pack, PM me and I'll send you the code. I can't wait to play this weekend ...

Tizoc

I should have imported.

Go get it off us psn thats what i am doing

Philthy

Just went through the first 6 levels with a new character on the PS3 while looking at clock on wall with a second hand.

Longest load time 45 seconds, shortest 30 seconds. These aren't even a minute long load times.

As I said, I went through even more levels with a friend last night on PSN, we never broke a minute. Frame rate has been fine (For an EDF game), level loading has been fine. The only slight people have had is split screen co-op being slower. Otherwise everything else has been the same.

My friend and I just timed the load into level 12, and it was 4:50.

Just did this. 32 seconds for me. PS3 online.

FWIW, I have PS3 Fat Metal Gear Solid edition. Default HD. Nothing special.

"Long load times" may be from online syncing issues possibly. If one person is lagged, etc.

Top Bottom