• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

bender

What time is it?
The PS3 version is fine. If you're an EDF fan, you won't have a problem with it.

I put 100 hours into EDF 2017 so I'll disagree with this statement. Using "it's an EDF game" as an excuse for the poor performance doesn't fly when EDF 2017 never performed that poorly, nor does 2025 on the X360. I guess it all comes down to your tolerance for poor frame rates.

Kyoufu

I put 100 hours into EDF 2017 so I'll disagree with this statement. Using "it's an EDF game" as an excuse for the poor performance as an excuse doesn't fly when EDF 2017 never performed that poorly, nor does 2025 on the X360. I guess it all comes down to your tolerance for poor frame rates.

EDF fans who played EDF2 should have no problem with the PS3 version.

Philthy

I put 100 hours into EDF 2017 so I'll disagree with this statement. Using "it's an EDF game" as an excuse for the poor performance doesn't fly when EDF 2017 never performed that poorly, nor does 2025 on the X360. I guess it all comes down to your tolerance for poor frame rates.

I nearly completed all of 2017 on the 360, and I have about 5 hours in on the PS3 2025.

They are nearly identical frame rate wise. They both have slow downs during the same queues. Like when multiple buildings collapse, or a hector explodes on the screen.

The difference is very minimal, if at all.

Stop with the hyperbole.

bender

What time is it?
I nearly completed all of 2017 on the 360, and I have about 5 hours in on the PS3 2025.

They are nearly identical frame rate wise. They both have slow downs during the same queues. Like when multiple buildings collapse, or a hector explodes on the screen.

The difference is very minimal, if at all.

Stop with the hyperbole.

Hyperbole? I'd concede that they might have improved performance between the Japanese and US launches as I haven't played the the US version of 2025. I'm not trying to diminish your enjoyment of the game or say that you can't have fun with the PS3 version but I've spent more time with these games than you. 2017 does have slowdown as does 2025 on both platforms but the frequency and degree are far worse on the PS3 version. Calling them the same is a disservice to anyone trying to decide between the two.

culafia

Im playing the PS3 version. 10-15 second load times, but it's generally fine.

Im almost 30 missions in now. Is it just me, or are the missions actually longer than they were in 2017? I'm having a lot of fun, but some of these early missions are really drawn out.

I'm only ten missions or so in but I haven't experienced the horrible frame rate drops people keep mentioning. Have I just not gotten to that point yet?

Hyperbole? I'd concede that they might have improved performance between the Japanese and US launches as I haven't played the the US version of 2025. I'm not trying to diminish your enjoyment of the game or say that you can't have fun with the PS3 version but I've spent more time with these games than you. 2017 does have slowdown as does 2025 on both platforms but the frequency and degree are far worse on the PS3 version. Calling them the same is a disservice to anyone trying to decide between the two.

Apparently the Japanese PS3 version got a patch over 6 months ago that made performance of the two platforms far closer: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/684234-earth-defense-force-2025/66709757

I'd assume that they included this patch in the US version from the start, so your impressions sound like they're out of date compared to what others in this thread have said (especially if you haven't even played the US PS3 version yet).

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I remember in EDF 2017 there was a gun that shot 30 grenades at once, some of the worst slowdown I've seen in video games.

I find it hard to imagine 2025 being anywhere near that bad.

I remember in EDF 2017 there was a gun that shot 30 grenades at once, some of the worst slowdown I've seen in video games.

If I shot 30 grenades at once, I'd sure as hell hope that the game would slow to a screaming crawl. Wouldn't be as fun otherwise.

Shiv47

Just did this. 32 seconds for me. PS3 online.

FWIW, I have PS3 Fat Metal Gear Solid edition. Default HD. Nothing special.

"Long load times" may be from online syncing issues possibly. If one person is lagged, etc.

This was local split screen, though. But, I set my kids up to play a few minutes ago and the first level loaded up in under a minute. So I don't know what the deal is.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

EDF fans who played EDF2 should have no problem with the PS3 version.

^Exactly this. I've never actually played 2017 because I've never owned (or played) a 360 (or Vita). I'm coming straight from EDF2, which was a fucking SLIDESHOW at times. Compared to that, 2025 is amazing on ANY system.

MrDaravon

Chikyuu Boeigun 2 actually came out in Europe as Global Defence Force. The only Japan-exclusive game in the series is EDF1.

Oh wow, I honestly did not know that. I'll eat my humble pie over here :p

Also played online with a friend for a while, netcode seems solid. It's weird that your characters carry over between offline and online, but your online campaign progress is separate. Combined with the weapon level and armor limitations I'm guessing it's to avoid having high level people just totally carry people through their first playthrough or something maybe? I see that there are options to disable the limitations but they're not selectable, so not sure if you have to beat the game first to do that or what.

Also did not realize that Armor pickups scaled differently for the different classes, like my Wind Diver was only get 1 point of Armor for every 2 pickups, whereas the Ranger gets 1 point per 1 pickup. It actually makes sense with the classes, just hadn't thought about it.

Edit: Oh, found the Armor pickup to actual Armor gained conversion per class:

Fencer 0.58
Ranger/ Air Raider 0.464
Wingdiver 0.232

Also just found out that in order to lift the weapon level/armor restrictions you have to
100% the fucking game
which is fucking crazy. The limits seem to be high enough where if you have weapons at that level you're going to steamroll it anyway, so I'm not sure why they bother having that unlock requirement. I was thinking it was just on a first playthrough to avoid players getting totally carried or something, weird.

Jim Stirling posted his review of EDF2025. He really doesn't like it. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...Earth-Defense-Force-2025-Review-Giant-Insects
I kid about him misrating kens rage 2, it was for hardcore FOTNS fans only, but this review reads like someone trying to be highbrow from the gutter, not to mention his comment about "most of the weapons"..there are 700 weapons, barring weapon levels, at least 300 of which are completely different. No way he's touched most of anything. Its his opinion, I've had more consistant fun with this game in a day than I have slogging through any of the main dynasty warriors, to each their own.

I kid about him misrating kens rage 2, it was for hardcore FOTNS fans only, but this review reads like someone trying to be highbrow from the gutter, not to mention his comment about "most of the weapons"..there are 700 weapons, barring weapon levels, at least 300 of which are completely different. No way he's touched most of anything. Its his opinion, I've had more consistant fun with this game in a day than I have slogging through any of the main dynasty warriors, to each their own.

To each their own but what is it with reviews just talking about bugs? I mean hell... even in my video review I mention insects/bugs but then chime in about robots/aliens. This series is for the hardcore fans much like DW is for that group imo. Anyways, I hope you are all enjoying 2025 as much as I am.

Ken

How easy is it to jump into split screen co-op? Like, is it a decent "party game" for people to just jump in and shoot stuff for a few hours.

To each their own but what is it with reviews just talking about bugs? I mean hell... even in my video review I mention insects/bugs but then chime in about robots/aliens. This series is for the hardcore fans much like DW is for that group imo. Anyways, I hope you are all enjoying 2025 as much as I am.

I appreciate your reviews because you actually sound like you've spent time with a game, for most paid journo's with a lot of big name AAA reviews on their plate, this Is an easy review to write, especially if you don't care for this kind of wacky concept. Enough about that, at least destructoid got it fairly..

I'm up to mission 35 and aside from some the underground levels, none of the missions feels like the other, I commend sandlot for that feat, in a game where one would expect stages feeling exactly the same.

FUME5

Damn that's some premium pricing compared to the series roots as a Simple 2000 game.

Hah, tell me about it.

Go get it off us psn thats what i am doing

My mates will be getting it on 360, I went to use my US 360 account to get it off that marketplace, but it wanted me to revalidate my CC info and wouldn't accept a bogus US address no matter what I tried. Seems they're trying to crack down on that.

I'm up to mission 35 and aside from some the underground levels, none of the missions feels like the other, I commend sandlot for that feat, in a game where one would expect stages feeling exactly the same.

Yeah this is a easy write off for most sites, I agree. Or... should I say it can be. Also yes, the missions are pretty crazy, I mean ultimately your killing stuff but that level where you had to chase that huge AT-AT looking thing in the city. WHOAAAAAAAAA.

Slermy

How easy is it to jump into split screen co-op? Like, is it a decent "party game" for people to just jump in and shoot stuff for a few hours.

I'd say pretty easy. I haven't done it myself but it asks you how many players immediately after picking a mode.

Yeah this is a easy write off for most sites, I agree. Or... should I say it can be. Also yes, the missions are pretty crazy, I mean ultimately your killing bugs but that level where you had to chase that huge AT-AT looking thing in the city. WHOAAAAAAAAA.
So many whoa moments so far for me, the biggest was when we are tasked with taking down a mothership for the first time..laser lights..everywhere and thanks to the weapon and enemy variety, I'm looking forward to many more

So many whoa moments so far for me, the biggest was when we are tasked with taking down a mothership for the first time..laser lights..everywhere and thanks to the weapon and enemy variety, I'm looking forward to many more

I need to get some better weapons. Any suggestion on a good level to farm on harder difficulties?

I need to get some better weapons. Any suggestion on a good level to farm on harder difficulties?
11 inferno, your squad can handle it themselves..you have to find the small bunkerlike space where a road runs through near the opposite side of the bridge and wait near the middle, jumping onto the small ledge seems to make you harder to hit, when there are like 2 or 3 enemier left run out and grab weapons, and armor before they kill the last enemy

Once you get better weapons with more variety, you can tackle missions in numerous ways, its quite fun.

Ding II

Ah, the Stampede XM. My buddy loved that launcher. I can't say that I remember it killing the frame rate noticeably, however. Nothing like an incoming Hector plasma bolt, at least.

So, I had expressed some worries about that "weapon level limit" setting that the game has. Happily, it doesn't look like it will be a problem. I tried playing level 1 (one) on Hard difficulty today, and the weapon level cap jumped up from level two... to level 25! This seems ample. (Newbies please note that there are still two difficulties harder than "Hard".)

I've pretty much decided to play as the Air Raider in our three man crew. I typically play support roles in co-op games, so it suits me. Also, I remember being a total turret farmer on some of the levels in 2017. Add in vehicles, artillery strikes, and satchel charges, and I really don't think we'll want to give up all those tactical options. So, I'll have to figure out how not to die as a slow and poorly armed little engineer dude...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Well I guess it depends how much he played, to be fair it takes a while to start introducing a lot more of the enemies as they always start off as ant, ants, then some robots, then introduce something else etc.

There's only one complaint I've ever taken exception with in regards to the EDF series. The whole 'it's so bad it's so good'. No I think that's bollocks. I think it's brilliant at what it does and does it really fucking well. It's the budget/technical details that let the games down a bit but they bring with it their own charms. But I just can't agree with anyone saying 'it's so bad it's good' as I think that's bullshit tbh.

If you plan on playing splitscreen and you have the option of PS3 and 360, don't even consider the PS3. I have a feeling the patch may not be built in, if thats the case, that's shameful, Sandlot had ages to prep the NA and EU releases.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The line about only being popular due to it's 'audacity' to be 'terrible' kind of irks me, but after seeing some play through the first dozen missions with only the default lv0 ranger weapons and ignoring weapon drops completely I can not understand why some people would feel that way.

Jim, I respect you man...and I don't really care if some people hate the game and review it poorly, but your assumptions about why people enjoy it is pretty off base.

If you plan on playing splitscreen and you have the option of PS3 and 360, don't even consider the PS3. I have a feeling the patch may not be built in, if thats the case, that's shameful, Sandlot had ages to prep the NA and EU releases.

You can tell an unpatched ps3 version pretty easily because there is a brief pause every time a large building gets destroyed. The patches didn't do much to fix splitscreen though, it's always been awful.

Kyoufu

I don't pay much attention to Jim Sterling's reviews since I never agree with the guy. I mean he considers Modern Warfare 3 to be a 9.5/10 game, and Dynasty Warriors 7 an 8/10.

It's one man's opinion, but it's a shame people will read it and make a judgement on the game based of that review. Oh well. Just like Monster Hunter, this is a game that will forever be niche in the west.

The line about only being popular due to it's 'audacity' to be 'terrible' kind of irks me, but after seeing some play through the first dozen missions with only the default lv0 ranger weapons and ignoring weapon drops completely I can not understand why some people would feel that way.

Jim, I respect you man...and I don't really care if some people hate the game and review it poorly, but your assumptions about why people enjoy it is pretty off base.

You can tell an unpatched ps3 version pretty easily because there is a brief pause every time a large building gets destroyed. The patches didn't do much to fix splitscreen though, it's always been awful.
Unpatched. That had happened EVERY time.

Jim Stirling posted his review of EDF2025. He really doesn't like it. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...Earth-Defense-Force-2025-Review-Giant-Insects

He always does this with reviews that he knows will get clicks, especially for niche/cult games.

"Oh, IGN gave Deadly Premonition a 2 for being terrible? I'll give it a 10 because IT'S TERRIBLE MADE ME LOL WORLD RECORD REVIEW!!!"

Fuck that guy. Biggest clickbait troll reviewer out there.

---

Fired up some 360 co-op with my wife earlier. Slowdown was about the same as it was in 2017 but WOW did they upgrade the building destruction! I've been on a media blackout and it was awesome to rocket the shit out of a building, wonder if the game downgraded to BF3-style "destruction", and then get a big smile on my face when the building crumbled into chunks on top of my wife's Ranger. Glad to see that they kept the banter as goofy and nonsensical as ever.

I noticed that PSN has a season pass available but I couldn't find one on 360; bought Mission Pack 1 anyway so hopefully the SP doesn't show up later.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so are we dealing with the unpatched PS3 version for the western release ? I don't fucking get it, they've had all year to include it! Someone tweet at D3 if that's the case, goodness sake.

I'm curious who all has the disc vs the digital purchase for the PS3 version. It seems odd that some of you are supposedly timing the loading screens into the minutes but others are seeing the series' usual 30-45 second loading times.

So I guess if you have the PS3 version, this might help:
Disc or digital?
Online or offline?
Co-op?
Which stages have you seen it on?

Kyoufu

Wait so are we dealing with the unpatched PS3 version for the western release ? I don't fucking get it, they've had all year to include it! Someone tweet at D3 if that's the case, goodness sake.

It should be the patched version.

The unpatched version would mean lots and lots and lots of freeze issues.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Ah right ok, that makes sense as I remember those in my import version being a pain in the ass. Anyone tried the Dualshock 4 controller with the PS3 version yet ?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, I played about 8 missions in using a ranger on normal. I thought, what the hell, let me try mission 3 on hard to see if I can do it. Well, I did it, and I got about 10 new weapons immediately... like a level 12 AF16, level 16 Stingray ST and a few others.

My favorite loadout is assault rifle and stingray. Have I now made myself way too overpowered to continue playing on normal from mission 10 on?

I almost forgot about those issues, and I'm glad to say I have not experienced any freezes, but dang if the patched framerate at times doesn't die..reverse bomb gun takes it down to 2fp, and the heavy mid mech suit is a slideshow, I couldn't even use it effectively.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I almost forgot about those issues, and I'm glad to say I have not experienced any freezes, but dang if the patched framerate at times doesn't die..reverse bomb gun takes it down to 2fp, and the heavy mid mech suit is a slideshow, I couldn't even use it effectively.

If it's patched, you're sure you're still getting the freeze when a building blows up? I'm not talking about frame drops, that always happens. I mean in the unpatched JP version, blowing up a building would literally freeze the game completely for almost a second before the normal model would be swapped out and the debris loaded in.

I'm not sure any patches actually did much to improve the framerate in many places.

ys45

Did 8 stages local coop with my GF , damn the game is full of slow down on PS3.
I usually don't care but damn they are pretty bad on this game i feel like playing slow mo all the time .

2017 was not that bad IIRC.

Tell me they have a patch that is coming ?

Daigoro

so no one commented earlier, but it looks like weapon and armor pickups are shared among everyone in the group, correct?

that's what it seemed like earlier when i played. i guess that guy i quoted was confused.

So the 360 version has a DTS splash during the logos but I can't find a way to enable it. D3 dun goofed?

i didnt check, but i did notice that the game lit up my 5.1 setup. ill try to check my receiver and see whats going on when i play again tomorrow.

If it's patched, you're sure you're still getting the freeze when a building blows up? I'm not talking about frame drops, that always happens. I mean in the unpatched JP version, blowing up a building would literally freeze the game completely for almost a second before the normal model would be swapped out and the debris loaded in.

I'm not sure any patches actually did much to improve the framerate in many places.
Yeah, its clearly patched, I meant a sudden and jarring framerate drop, but no actual freeze.

Top Bottom