• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 2025 |OT| "I heard this game had a lot of bugs."

MrDaravon

Just confirmed that due to UPS weather fuckups my Gamestop won't be getting the game until tomorrow or THURSDAY. God fucking damn it. I'm so, so tempted to just get the GoD version, but I really strongly prefer physical copies of my games.

Also the pricing on that Season Pass is weird, it should probably be $15. 2 of the 3 big packs in that total $18 separately, and the smaller pack (that you're getting for "free" with the pass) is $4, but they're also giving that one away through a Facebook promo until next week. Not much incentive there.

£45 on XBL. Pretty damn tempted to pull the trigger as I really want to play it now, but I guess I can wait a few more days.

At least I hope I can...

Absolutely fuming at the Eurogamer review. Commission total non-fan of the series to cover it who then spits out hideous editorial, with not a single comment on the actual game itself, and slaps a 5/10 on it.

Totally outraged and annoyed.

So close to just pasting in the full text to prevent them getting hits, but still a newbie here so i'll not do that.

Furious.
Don't let it bother you too much, there will be fans of fun and fans of other types of gameplay, we just got a raw deal with this reviewer, I'm playing it now and I like fun, the state I'm in is practically zen-like. Get this game if you like fun.

Absolutely fuming at the Eurogamer review. Commission total non-fan of the series to cover it who then spits out hideous editorial, with not a single comment on the actual game itself, and slaps a 5/10 on it.

Totally outraged and annoyed.

So close to just pasting in the full text to prevent them getting hits, but still a newbie here so i'll not do that.

Furious.
Kieron Gillen's review of 2017 for Eurogamer back in the day was great, so it's a shame they've got such a shitty review for 2025.

I've started as an air raider

Protip:
Enter vehicle= select (ps3)

It was a legendary review, I so thought that was edge..wow..

That took me forever to figure out! Man the TANKS SON! I do wish you could earn weapons for different classes using other classes. It is what it is though. :D EDF! EDF! EDF!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Again, what is the consensus on frame rate between the two SKUs?

I remember that 2017 performed much better on 360 than PS3. Is that the case this time as well?

That took me forever to figure out! Man the TANKS SON! I do wish you could earn weapons for different classes using other classes. It is what it is though. :D EDF! EDF! EDF!

I do too, but I see why they did it, the experience of starting with an air raider is so much different than the ranger, and so on and so forth, it kinda forces us to master each class to some degree.

I do too, but I see why they did it, the experience of starting with an air raider is so much different than the ranger, and so on and so forth, it kinda forces us to master each class to some degree.

Most def and I agree with the game stating those classes are for more advanced/online modes. Makes sense. If folks didn't see my review, I'd highly reccomend going through the game as ranger first time through. Granted the ability to switch whenever leaves for experiementation (which is fun), but I've found if I'm having issues with the more elaborate class on a certain mission, going back to Ranger always helped me get through perticular hard parts.

it should be noted that collecting armor when playing LOCAL co-op counts for BOTH players. only the weapons apply to the specific character that picked it up.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I love how UPS has my EDF one town away, waiting till tomorrow to deliver it to me. C'mon guys! I could meet you halfway! Just gimmie mah EDF!

it should be noted that collecting armor when playing LOCAL co-op counts for BOTH players. only the weapons apply to the specific character that picked it up.

That's actually really good to know! Nice to see they didn't get that detail wrong, as things like that often fall by the wayside in our new online-primary, local-secondary world.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm kind of tempted to buy this again just to be able to play online with people outside of japan, but.... $50...

edit - unless by some miracle they let EDF4 play nice with EDF2025 online? Maybe? No? :(

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
That Eurogamer review is worthless trash. Barely any mention of mechanics, no mention of controls, or performance issues. Just a wankfest of a review. No mention of anything other than insects. Does EDF2025 not have giant robots or kaiju anymore? Or did the reviewer not actually play much of the game?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
That Eurogamer review is worthless trash. Barely any mention of mechanics, no mention of controls, or performance issues. Just a wankfest of a review. No mention of anything other than insects. Does EDF2025 not have giant robots or kaiju anymore? Or did the reviewer not actually play much of the game?

it has everything the last game did and more. lots more.

MYeager

Yeah, I understand his opinion and how he reached it, but that review was garbage. Barely a description of the game, how it worked mechanically and/or what didn't work well. Spent more time explaining that there were ants in the game than anything about the game. It read more like a miscellaneous blog post than a critical review of a product.

MrDaravon

I think this one is missing one or two of the enemy types actually from 2017.

Also I got the next to last copy at Target, fuck you Gamestop! Bwhahahaha.

The time to an EDF chant was less than 5 minutes ;_;7

Shhhhhh
No Kaiju, only dragons..

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For the english version is it all completely english voice acting ? Please tell me your squaddies talk loads like in 2017 ? Also, do they do the awesome singing as in the japanese version of EDF4 ?

Bought it on the marketplace (living in sweden and haven't found any stores with reliable street dates yet...) and downloading it now.

Gotta love this hillarious launch trailer that was released today though :D
watch?v=nnH5VmFvvSE
That was beautiful, reminds me of how awesome the live action vita commercial was!

I bought the season pass on PSN, i've never actually bought one before. Do i have to do anything special after buying it, or will it automatically download the dlc?

Philthy

What a pile of crap that Eurogamer review was. She gets to mission 13, says she is bored of it. Then goes ahead and trashes the 2017 review.

The Japanese players found a nice grind spot, I've been farming higher level weapons on mission
11 inferno, turns out the edf grunts can complete it by themselves..you just have to survive long enough to reap the rewards..not easy at first, there's a small bunkerlike area that a road runs through..a lifesaver!
Finally got my missle turrets, lvl 26!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The Japanese players found a nice grind spot, I've been farming higher level weapons on mission
11 inferno, turns out the edf grunts can complete it by themselves..you just have to survive long enough to reap the rewards..not easy at first, there's a small bunkerlike area that a road runs through..a lifesaver!
Finally got my missle turrets, lvl 26!

In the JP version i found mission
to be a good farming spot. Very short level, the only challenge is surviving the initial rush on higher difficulties in such a cramped space, but the entire map is one big choke point.

*i think that was the right map at least. it's been a while since i've played it. It's the level before the
queen ant

MrDaravon

I've seen a lot of people talk about one of the DLC missions being the best map to farm, but haven't looked into that too much.

As a heads up to everyone, there are two free weapons packs up on the 360 Markeplace (don't know about PS3), not sure if these were pre-order bonuses or whate exactly, one has two weapons for the Fencer and the other has two weapons for the Pale Wing. Also when I saw that I noticed there's avatar items for the game (some of which are amusing), but there's also a Premium Theme. I'd actually be potentially interested in the Premium Theme, but can't find a single screen or video of it anywhere, did anyone here get it maybe?

In the JP version i found mission
to be a good farming spot. Very short level, the only challenge is surviving the initial rush on higher difficulties in such a cramped space, but the entire map is one big choke point.

*i think that was the right map at least. it's been a while since i've played it. It's the level before the
queen ant
Oh wow, with the air raid weapons I have, a level with a chokepoint is a death sentence, I'll check it out!

Riposte

Haha, I accidentally bought the 360 version when I wanted the PS3 one for convenience reasons. I haven't actually looked into version differences; what's going on with that?

Haha, I accidentally bought the 360 version when I wanted the PS3 one for convenience reasons. I haven't actually looked into version differences; what's going on with that?

Well, you got the right version. The 360 version runs better than the PS3 version by a decent margin. Of course, it IS EDF so that framerate is going to go down a lot on both platforms. Plus you can only do split screen online (2 players local then 1 or two players online) on 360 for some reason.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
ps3 version has bad load times too incase anyones on the fence on which version to get

They patched them didn't they ? But yeah the 360 version still run better overall, only reason I'm not getting it is due to needing Live Gold and I'm not paying for that again anytime soon.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
They patched them didn't they ? But yeah the 360 version still run better overall, only reason I'm not getting it is due to needing Live Gold and I'm not paying for that again anytime soon.

The load times don't seem any better than when it came out last year, so I don't think so. They made this game mostly with the 360's built-in install function in mind and didn't bother programming a ps3 equivalent so it's basically spooling everything off the disc while loading is mostly instantaneous on 360. It does seem like there is a degree of caching going on though, as load times do seem to decrease over time. Initially I got about 30-40 seconds, then it settled to around 20-25 depending on the level.

Top Bottom