• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 |OT| In a not-too-distant future, 2025 A.D.

Volcynika

Made it to around mission 18 in multi, but went back with the DLC weapon and got some good loot off mission 1 hard. I didn't know any of the people I was playing with last night, but it's fun when just everything's going crazy, like cruise missles/air strikes, etc.

Once I read the load times were better I instantly bought. I love this series but not having as much time to play games really made the loading rough for me. Plus I was still using a six axis on PS3 and my giant meaty paws always had trouble with shooters on it. Played the first three missions and it was awesome rolling down the road with AI tanks into a sea of ants.

Mupod

Will there ever be a time where gamers won't have to ignore Earth Defense Force reviews? This and Dynasty Warriors, I swear.

I thought Monster Hunter would never get out of that zone but here we are.

the problem with EDF isn't so much 'you don't GET it' like with MH. It's just fundamentally not something that fits in to the review process nicely. Somethingawful's old 'if movies were reviewed like video games' article comes to mind. At the end of the day if everything about a game is bad except the fact that it's fun, is it a good game? No shit it is, but that's not how most reviews work. Games get rated on their technical side too.

I could understand getting fatigued by the games if I was forced to review the PSP versions and 2025. That's a LOT of repetitive bug shooting. I haven't played one since IA and I barely even count that, and it's been a long time since 2017.

Kumquat

I'll be playing this weekend with my best friend. I tend to go Air Raider and he tends to go Wing Diver, though TBH Air raider seems to be made to help the Fencer most of all. Still fun as hell. Time to start farming weapons again!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The difference in difficulty between normal and hard is crazy. Been trying to do level 20-ish on hard, but the enemies seem faster and meaner. One had a bunch of ants on a beach, and the last wave just swamps you and you don't have time to react. Once overrun you just keep getting bitten. Eventually I managed to clear it using an upgraded grenade launcher I got from earlier levels. But I think I'll have to go back to normal, even though my current weapons are OP for now - that'll soon change

Is there a list somewhere that shows what levels of weapons drops at each difficulty level per stage?

Mupod

what I did in this one (and 2017) was farm an early stage on Hardest then play the rest of the game on Hard until I hit a wall and had to go farm Hardest on some other stage. Level 2 is really short and has a decent amount of bugs to shoot.

might jump back in tonight, it's so hard to balance this and Xenoblade since either game just grabs me and does not let go until I go to bed.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got this yesterday. My first one was around launch when EDF 2017 came out. I enjoyed it and it was a great ice breaker (segway) into the 360 lineup. You really only hear about it when things slow down or unless you're a fan of the series. It's basically a budget title if you want to keep things simple if you ask me.

mcz117chief

Oh-God-I-need-it-I-need-it.jpg

Now all I have to do is find a store that actually has this!!!
Great OT btw :)

edit: nooooo! No store has it :(((((((((((((((((

Guess I will have to get it through amazon or something.

edit2: omg, the EU version will release in february :(((((((((((((((((((

Kumquat

Oh-God-I-need-it-I-need-it.jpg

Now all I have to do is find a store that actually has this!!!
Great OT btw :)

edit: nooooo! No store has it :(((((((((((((((((

Guess I will have to get it through amazon or something.

edit2: omg, the EU version will release in february :(((((((((((((((((((

Time to become an American chief! GUNS AND BUGS FOR ALL!

Kamina777

Banned
Fought through mission 11 Hard after failing again and again with a team of randoms..ended up drawing enemy attention toward me and running backwards while firing timed grenades while the wing diver on my squad cleared the final objective..it was glorious even though i died I got revived just in time.

I'm learning that just because you are the embodiment of raid offline do not think you are going to do the same online at the same difficulty, the enemy strength and speed buff per player is real!

Thewonandonly

So i might get this but I have one question. It is in Japanese so will I not be able to read anything and stuff.
Edit: never mind I saw the video above me in english and when that dinosoar launched you I was laughing my butt off. I'm sold!!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what I did in this one (and 2017) was farm an early stage on Hardest then play the rest of the game on Hard until I hit a wall and had to go farm Hardest on some other stage. Level 2 is really short and has a decent amount of bugs to shoot.

might jump back in tonight, it's so hard to balance this and Xenoblade since either game just grabs me and does not let go until I go to bed.

I was getting hammered onstage one on hardest, but stage 2 is much easier - only two waves and if you have a weapon that lets you keep your distance you are usually ok. I can do it on inferno now about 80% of the time (the ants will one-shot me with their acid so I have to be careful). I now have an AF20 and some insane level 47 triple shot grenades that just blow everything to shit - they're amazing :D

Reviews are totally irrelevant with this series. It does what it says on the box and it delivers every time. There is no sense in holding it up to whatever arbitrary AAA standards.

What's the difference between this and the vita game?

4/2025 is sort of a remake of EDF2, like 3/2017 is sort of a remake of EDF1. Different graphical styles and different spins on things, but similar play styles and concepts. 4 has more character classes and new enemies/weapon types/stages/etc.

natertots

Picked up a copy of this last night, boy was it a pain getting my hands on a retail copy. Gamestop was the only place that carried it near me and most were sold out. Did get to spend some time with it last night and today and I have had nothing but fun when playing this game. It's my first EDF and it appears I've been missing out. Trying to get my brother to get it so we can co-op. So much content. I'm starting out on easy mode and going to play through all missions then up the difficulty and repeat. Should get my money's worth here.

Anyone who has never played EDF and is on the fence and finds this game the least bit interesting, I highly recommend picking it up. The online co-op I've played so far has been awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Reviews are totally irrelevant with this series. It does what it says on the box and it delivers every time. There is no sense in holding it up to whatever arbitrary AAA standards.

4/2025 is sort of a remake of EDF2, like 3/2017 is sort of a remake of EDF1. Different graphical styles and different spins on things, but similar play styles and concepts. 4 has more character classes and new enemies/weapon types/stages/etc.
Is the Vita one worth playing then?

impirius

I realize there's practically zero chance that they'll address the screen tearing in a patch, but if they do, I'll pick this up!

Can't wait to get my copy from Best Buy. I actually own EDF 2023 or whatever the hell it's called for PS3 and I never played it. Why do I do that?

Anyway I want next weekend to get here fast so I have some time to play games. A lot of stupid fun hopefully between this and Just Cause 3.

Kumquat

Well, I wouldn't mind getting the US version since PS4 is region free (right?)...what is the dlc situation?

So far they just have a few weapons for DLC though I am pretty sure that will change. Kinda bothers me they are changing for a few weapons instead of just including them in the game even if they are just a buck.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
damn, this looks awesome...if i adored 2017 and liked bits of IA, how will this rate for me?

It's fucking awesome dude. More weapons, more bugs, more destruction, more variety, more classes!

If you liked 2017 you should enjoy 4.1 (well hopefully, surprised someone above liked 2017 but not 4.1)

So far they just have a few weapons for DLC though I am pretty sure that will change. Kinda bothers me they are changing for a few weapons instead of just including them in the game even if they are just a buck.

I'm sad they didn't include the Genocide guns which they removed from 2025 for framerate reasons (before release they removed them that is, they weren't patched out)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any penalties for blowing buildings up? Some of the more destructive weapons like my 3-way grenade launcher pretty much guarantee shitloads of collateral damage which looks great, but I wanted to check it isn't going to screw me over.

mcz117chief

Are there any penalties for blowing buildings up? Some of the more destructive weapons like my 3-way grenade launcher pretty much guarantee shitloads of collateral damage which looks great, but I wanted to check it isn't going to screw me over.

Well it never did in the previous games. Turning the city into a post apocalyptic wasteland was part of the fun :)

We aren't here to preserve the architecture. We are here to kill bugs.

5taquitos

I'm pretty sure you can blow anything and everything up without giving a fuck, but I haven't played 4.1 specifically.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well, I wouldn't mind getting the US version since PS4 is region free (right?)...what is the dlc situation?

If you mean can you still access DLC if you buy the US version - yes you can, but you'll have to buy US DLC to match the game. You can still play it on another PSN account (I use my UK account) as long as you set your console as primary for your USN PSN account.

One more question - anyone checked splitscreen multiplayer to see if both signed in users get a weapon pickup when one player picks one up? I think on PS3 it didn't do that - only the player picking it up gets a weapon.

Anyone know what's going on in online co-op when you try to revive someone and you can't? You stand over them, but there's no button prompt to get them up.

Is it a bug/lag error or is it some gameplay thing I'm not understanding yet?

I'll be so excited if this ends up coming to the PC (from that recent databases leak).

I love these games, but I don't think I'll be getting a PS4 anytime soon so having it on PC will be great (assuming it's a competent port).

In the meantime I suppose I can get the Vita one!

Anyone know what's going on in online co-op when you try to revive someone and you can't? You stand over them, but there's no button prompt to get them up.

Is it a bug/lag error or is it some gameplay thing I'm not understanding yet?

You probably don't have enough health. Reviving someone takes half of your health and gives it to the fallen teammate.

bede-x

One more question - anyone checked splitscreen multiplayer to see if both signed in users get a weapon pickup when one player picks one up? I think on PS3 it didn't do that - only the player picking it up gets a weapon.

You don't. In the 360 version both players got weapons if you played in online mode (which you could still do just two players in split screen). Unfortunately both Playstation versions lacks the option to do split screen online coop, which also means you lose out on some split screen stages that are online only (you can still do them in solo or online coop, just not split screen).

Top Bottom