• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

I've played through this game more times than I can remember, and I was all too happy to purchase it again on the Wii U VC.

This game is just so damn special and amazing. There's just nothing like it. It's not my favorite game of all time, but it's close. It's still just as mind-blowingly good today as it was upon its original release.

And even now, I'm still learning new strategies and stuff!
For example, 13-year-old me back in the '90s thought Mondo Mole was ridiculously hard. 28-year-old me today tried Paralysis Alpha on him and discovered that it makes him a total wimp!
God, I just adore the crap out of EarthBound.

Is there any relation between this and mother 3 story wise?

Yes, but telling you how would venture to the point of no return in spoiler territory. Proceed at your own risk:
Ness' neighbor, Porky/Pokey, ends up being Giygas' right-hand man in this game and, eventually, the really fucked-up main villain in Mother 3. I'll spare you the details of how or why, but there it is.

Pachinko

Well I played up to the point that I can venture forth into the dungeon of Belch.

The first enemy I encountered was a ghost and it proceeded to possess Ness and , well I assumed I just didn't bother to buy an item that could cure that but I kept on going anyway. Eventually Ness also got poisoned and it seemed as though healing alpha couldn't cure that so I figured, oh well it's probably easier to just die in this dungeon then going back and I was near the end anyway.

I proceeded to do this , let myself get killed and looked up some items only to discover that possess has no listed cure. The ghost has to be removed by the hospital wizard or damaged by an enemy spell apparently ?

Whatever, I'm having quite a bit of fun with this. Curious though for those who played through it all on SNES, was it prone to slowdown whenever more then 5 sprites showed up there too ? or is it just the emulation causing that. I've so far only witnessed this problem inside of the blue klux klan house , next to the circus tent in Threed and in one corner of the Burgle park in Twoson.

Tiktaalik

I just hit Threed and the slowdown seems reaaaaallly bad. Maybe I'm crazy but maybe it is worse in this emulated version. Unfortunately my SNES and EB copy is bundled away in my storage closet. Does anyone have a copy on hand that they could check compare with?

I don't have my cartridge on hand right this moment, but I definitely recall getting some slowdown in Threed on it, at least when it was still zombie infested.

PKrockin

I just hit Threed and the slowdown seems reaaaaallly bad. Maybe I'm crazy but maybe it is worse in this emulated version. Unfortunately my SNES and EB copy is bundled away in my storage closet. Does anyone have a copy on hand that they could check compare with?

I do remember Threed having significantly more slowdown than most of the game, probably because enemies can frequently spawn all over town, and a ton of enemies usually spawn in the small graveyard areas on the outskirts.

Aeana

It's the same. The game has lots of slowdown when there are enemies around, and not just in Threed.

Jockel

Yep, I'm playing through on a cart for the first time and the slowdown is quite substantial at times. I kinda like it though :p
Same here, I started the game but I sorta lost the motivation to finish it. Yesterday I picked up the controller again and made quite a bit of progress, now I'm in the last your sanctuary location. Not that easy to navigate.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Actually, it's probably the worst town, but yeah it'll definitely grow on you.
Cool, I'll try to proceed fast in this town - though Paula seems so fragile at this stage :-/

Great sketch just seen on miiverse:
zlCfzRDz-3gQgDKF3K

This was one of my favorite SNES games growing up. I've been wanting to replay it for years now but never bothered running an emulator and my SNES is long gone.

So having this to play on my Wii U running on a large television is just awesome. It's as good as I remember it.

Nessus

Just reached Threed and it feels depressing, do you guys like this part, will it grow on me?

It's my favorite part of the game, honestly.

I love that oppressive dread-filled atmosphere. Not knowing where to go at first.

This town that's under siege, and nowhere feels safe.

Then again I love horror movies.

jepense

Got to Threed and
then jumped to Jeff.
Really liking it. I especially love how the game mixes mundane and bizarre elements making it much more interesting than a normal fantasy or scifi setting. However, now I also have Pikmin and will probably juggle the two, slowing my progress. But that's ok, I don't want to rush either.

Ghekkus

Uh, so where do I have to warp to farm the sword of kings?

It's in Winters inside the Stonehenge Base. Farm the Starman Supers; they are gold in color.

Edit: If you beat that dungeon I think they all go away though it's been awhile since I played.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's my favorite part of the game, honestly.

I love that oppressive dread-filled atmosphere. Not knowing where to go at first.

This town that's under siege, and nowhere feels safe.

Then again I love horror movies.

Threed is one of my favorite areas, too. The first time I played through the game I was severely under-leveled and always kept my money on hand, so I was basically always half dead with barely any means of healing or buying items, desperately trying to flee from everything, and not knowing what to do next. This all just added to the tension and dread of the whole scenario, and when
Jeff finally joined up
it was the greatest feeling in the world. Like now I finally had a chance.

Joqu

The series in general has such a godly soundtrack really.

Listening to Mother 3's music with all the GBA fuzz removed was amazing.

CaLe

Probably a stupid question, but here goes:

Is there any way to play this on the Wii U Gamepad's screen ? My significant other takes control of the TV for highly intellectual shows like The Bachelorette, and I'd love to play the game while nodding my head when she describes what she's looking at.

If not, what controller does the game support ?

Joqu

Probably a stupid question, but here goes:

Is there any way to play this on the Wii U Gamepad's screen ? My significant other takes control of the TV for highly intellectual shows like The Bachelorette, and I'd love to play the game while nodding my head when she describes what she's looking at.

If not, what controller does the game support ?

You can play Wii U Virtual Console games on the Gamepad's screen, yes. It's great.

Holy crap, really ?? How do you do that ? There's an option in-game to switch which screen the game is played on ?

That changes everything !

All Virtual Console games send the same image to TV and gamepad screen, so there's no need to do anything.

cacildo

PLaying it for almost a week.

So glad im still far away from the ending.

All Virtual Console games send the same image to TV and gamepad screen, so there's no need to do anything.

Well, if you want to play only on the tv using the Pro controller and if the idea of having a second screen showing the same game makes you nervous (as it does to me), then you can just turn the gamepad screen Off at the home menu

(i wish the gamepad had an On/off switch)

Joqu

PLaying it for almost a week.

So glad im still far away from the ending.

Well, if you want to play only on the tv using the Pro controller and if the idea of having a second screen showing the same game makes you nervous (as it does to me), then you can just turn the gamepad screen Off at the home menu

(i wish the gamepad had an On/off switch)

Heck, I wish you could use the gamepad as a controller while the screen is off.

I seemed to have skipped a sanctuary somehow. I went from the first, straight to the third.

Is this okay? :<

Well the second one will be much easier now, but it's not a big deal
you monster

Well, I'll be damned. Super Metroid and Earthbound it is then.

I guess there's no support for Wii games, correct ?

Wii Virtual Console games? You can update some of them to Wii U version for $1.00 or $1.50 if there's a Wii U version available, if not, then you must boot your Wii U to Wii mode and play without the gamepad screen. Also normal Wii games don't support the gamepad in any way.

Peagles

Hmm, I didn't go back to
Fourside
and just went on ahead to
the Pyramid, now Poo is gone...
I can still go back and do the
Fourside part with Ness, Paula, and Jeff
right?

L Thammy

I checked "All Best Sellers". I guess that means all-time? In Canada, EarthBound is over New Super Mario Bros U, which has 2554 ratings. I guess that would include retail, though. It's also above Little Inferno, which has 328 ratings.

For the record, it's at 12. Under the 99 cents stuff, as well as Super Mario World, Trine 2, Nintendo Land, and Super Mario Bros 2.

Hmm, I didn't go back to
Fourside
and just went on ahead to
the Pyramid, now Poo is gone...
I can still go back and do the
Fourside part with Ness, Paula, and Jeff
right?

You can do the Sanctuaries in just about any order, I think. My brother and I always used to do 3 (
Trillionage Sprout
) before 2 (
Mondo Mole
) to save on grinding. Also, we're both horribly impatient.

Top Bottom