• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm late to this topic. I just want to add that easy update may not be my cup of tea, even if I'm enjoying and really like Ian's outpout and weirdness. It's supposed to be weird and improvised, cobbled together in his spare time. I'm totally okay with this, even if I'd clearly prefer a "night's" formula better. Calling it lazy is a bit unfair in my opinion.

I'm a little less okay with his attitude in the podcast though. There he's quite disruptive of the ongoing conversation, throwing tangents and interrupting other people's reasoning. Love the guy, but I enjoy the podcast episodes he's in quite less than others when, for examp!e, ben is the guest.

Love and respect

luchadork

https://www.patreon.com/posts/this-week-on-5205654

Monday, April 25th
10PM PT - 12AM PT | Hype Game Monday
Onimusha
Mike Huber
(Kyle's computer is broken)

Tuesday, April 26th
10AM PT - 12PM PT | Toy Box Tuesday
Disney Infinity
Brandon Jones
12PM PT - 2PM PT | Hearthstone
Whispers of the Old Gods
Ben Moore & Mike Huber & Brandon Jones
2PM PT - 8PM PT | 1 MONTH ANNIVERSARY STREAM!!!
Alienation, SpeedRunners, Mario Kart 8, Gears of War 4 Beta, Smash Bros, whatever it takes for a party

Wednesday, April 27th
4PM PT - 8PM PT | Resident Evil 6
Full Playthrough Pt. 6
Mike Huber & Brad Ellis
8PM PT - 10PM PT | Hearthstone
Whispers of the Old Gods
Ben Moore
10PM PT - 11PM PT | Ni-Oh Demo
Ben Moore

Thursday, April 28th
11:30AM PT - 1:30PM PT | Link's Awakening
Full Playthrough Pt. 2
Daniel Bloodworth
6PM PT - 10PM PT | Resident Evil 6
Full Playthrough Pt. 7
Brad Ellis & Mike Huber

Friday, April 29th
6PM PT - 9PM PT | The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Michael Damiani
12:01AM PT - 1AM PT | Tetris
Bosman v Wozniak Week 5
Kyle Bosman

holy shit. thats some solid lineup right there!

openrob

He also probably wasn't even aware that Ian had two other jobs. I certainly wasn't.

Quick question - sorry if it has been asked, but why would any of these guys need three jobs when they are getting ~$40,000 in support monthly? I get they need set up fees etc, equipment and stuff. But after that, surely they are all walking away with a few thousand each every month?

I really hope I dont come across as annoyed or anything, addicted to their stuff, just asking really.

p.s. Brandon Plays Pokemon has been the most entertaining stuff so far and can't wait till next weeks episode!

rtcn63

Quick question - sorry if it has been asked, but why would any of these guys need three jobs when they are getting ~$40,000 in support monthly? I get they need set up fees etc, equipment and stuff. But after that, surely they are all walking away with a few thousand each every month?!

Stable source of income instead of solely having to rely on Patreon? When you sign a rental agreement, you better be damn sure you can pay every month. You really have to look ahead when it comes to financial obligations.

Kneefoil

Quick question - sorry if it has been asked, but why would any of these guys need three jobs when they are getting ~$40,000 in support monthly? I get they need set up fees etc, equipment and stuff. But after that, surely they are all walking away with a few thousand each every month?

I really hope I dont come across as annoyed or anything, addicted to their stuff, just asking really.
Don't worry, you're not coming across in any bad way.

Brandon kind of touched upon it in the latest Cup of Jones. He didn't talk about why anyone would need more than one job on top of EZA, but he did talk about finances. The thing is, they need money for health insurance bills, taxes, etc. They also have to save money for unexpected travel expenses, events, equipment breaking, or because they need to hire someone when one of them is sick or on a vacation or whatever. Apparently it would take maybe 200k a month for them all to be able to work full-time for EZA, which isn't going happen - at least not anywhere in the near future.

RiverKwai

They haven't gotten 40k a month yet. They might be prudent to wait to see how stable patreon is before they all jump on. Also, remember that some of them had to go look for jobs because like 2 months ago, they were all unemployed.

While EA looks like it's taking off, it's only existed for like a month and a half. Give them time!

Frame Trap will be up either this afternoon or tonight. I don't want to give an exact time since it takes forever to upload and I want to make sure high-res options are available before pushing live.
Yes! Can't wait, Ben. The first episode was really entertaining, and the more in-depth discussions on this podcast are a great companion to the zippier topic-topic-topic style of the main Easy Allies Podcast.

Keep up the great work!

I have enjoyed every episode and while they aren't fully scripted, It does take time to get people together to shoot. The "laziness" comments kind of get to me though because Ian is truly doing a lot for us in the midst of having two other jobs. Him making sure he has an episode every Saturday shows a ton of commitment in my eyes, no matter how simple it might be.

I did not call Ian lazy. I said the videos are "laziness that occasionally works." It's the style of the videos and he even admits it by saying frequently that he "has nothing prepared for this." The only thing that doesn't appear lazy to me is the quirky songs (which isn't for me, but that doesn't matter).

To a viewer, regardless of his other responsibilities, this is not a good look and won't be appreciated across the board by everyone.

Good on him for being committed and trying to bring some more value to Easy Allies, but to me it looks like output for the sake of output. I think it would be cool if Ian took a Frame Trap approach and made it a bi-weekly show.

"Lazy" probably wasn't the best word he could've used to describe Easy Update, but I don't think it's something to get upset about. He also probably wasn't even aware that Ian had two other jobs. I certainly wasn't.

Kneefoil, thanks for understanding. I thought I adequately explained myself, but I understand it looked insulting. Was not intended. Looking at the formal definition of lazy, it certainly isn't the most accurate word to convey what I meant. =(

Love and respect.

Burt

CInbj3C.gif

Good on him for being committed and trying to bring some more value to Easy Allies, but to me it looks like output for the sake of output. I think it would be cool if Ian took a Frame Trap approach and made it a bi-weekly show.

I thought I adequately explained myself, but I understand it looked insulting. Was not intended. Looking at the formal definition of lazy, it certainly isn't the most accurate word to convey what I meant. =(

Love and respect.

No worries. I just wanted to put that out there for one since Ian is doing an absolute ton for us on top of everything else and you aren't the only one to bring it up. Aside from some technical issues here and there, I really think the informal style works so far and I do find them entertaining.

I'll leave some other posters to catch you up on financial conversations as some have already started, but basically you can't just divide that number and get everyone's salaries. Without getting too specific, we're basically getting part-time pay at the moment. As some expenses get taken care of and we start developing additional revenue sources, growing the Patreon, etc., some of us will be able to move into full time. In the meantime, each of us will either have to scrape by on what we have saved or seek out other jobs to supplement.

I don't want to appear ungrateful at all though because I think it's amazing that anyone is willing to even commit to a dollar a month. That sacrifice as well as all the letters of support have been extremely valuable to me, and I'm willing to fight to make this work even though I'm sure I could get a bigger paycheck somewhere else.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
God how did Frame Trap become my number 1 podcast in only 2 episodes?
So this https://twitter.com/BenMoore035/status/724342802247622656
makes me really want the studio to happen.

I still hope EZA writes something up or make a video about what a studio could/would mean for the public(unless I missed it, so far I only know of the cup of jones bit which is patrons only). I don't think as a stretch goal the appeal is easily apparent to most.
Especially when most successful youtubers operate from their homes(people might not think about that a home studio is fine for 1-2 people but becomes less optimal when it's a whole team).

wapplew

Double Hotake?! Awesome!
Great second episode, WoW talk is great. Something could be arrange like when asking option from guest, try not to start with Brandon first, because he always give convincing answers making others guest feel like nothing to add.
Maybe get some emotional respond first, then move to Brandon who are more rational, that way we might get better conversation or more heated one.

LiK

man, need to skip Frame Trap ep 2. haven't watched a single ep of GoT so it's gonna be pure spoilers for me. maybe in the future.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
man, need to skip Frame Trap ep 2. haven't watched a single ep of GoT so it's gonna be pure spoilers for me. maybe in the future.

The episode has time stamps in the description you can just listen to the non GoT stuff.

Edit: sry didn't refresh page before I answered, so I didn't see someone already pointing it out.
Is there no post delete on gaf?

openrob

Stable source of income instead of solely having to rely on Patreon?

Don't worry, you're not coming across in any bad way.

Brandon kind of touched upon it in the latest Cup of Jones. He didn't talk about why anyone would need more than one job on top of EZA, but he did talk about finances. The thing is, they need money for health insurance bills, taxes, etc... Apparently it would take maybe 200k a month for them all to be able to work full-time for EZA

That sounds like a crazy amount needed and an really surprised.

I'll leave some other posters to catch you up on financial conversations as some have already started, but basically you can't just divide that number and get everyone's salaries. Without getting too specific, we're basically getting part-time pay at the moment. As some expenses get taken care of and we start developing additional revenue sources, growing the Patreon, etc., some of us will be able to move into full time. In the meantime, each of us will either have to scrape by on what we have saved or seek out other jobs to supplement.

Well Mr Bloodworth,if you are so busy you haven't got time to be fooling around on NEOGAF then, have you :p

Haha Thanks so much for the replies, I think I just assumed that once costs are covered they're would be a lot more available. It's I guess one of those things that when you start getting more revenue, production values (and costs) go up alongside it.

We all appreciate all the work you put in, even down to posting in threads like this online which shows how committed you are. Keep up the good work

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds like a crazy amount needed and an really surprised.
Don't take this as a hard number. Brandon mentioned the figure in the context of his experiences within the gametrailers system.

He also said EZA is something new and he wouldn't want it to operate on the model that gametrailers did so they're still figuring all the numbers out.

Hasney

How is Huber not passionate about FF7 but freaked out about the remake during last year's E3? I don't get it.

Lots of reasons. The situation with it being after the PC port being announced at PSX, the fact his friends were freaking out (I doubt Kyle would have reacted as much if he didn't know Huber for instance) and it being a damn near perfect trailer for the situation. It's the same as going to a sports games with a few friends even if you don't give a shit about that team, you get caught up in it if really good moments happen.

Hasney

I should grab a beer with Huber one time. That sounds hilarious.

Cup of Jones news: Don has a show (or shows?) up his sleeve that will be communicated at some point.

Lemonheap

Banned
Surprised that there's some grief at Ian for Update just -now- since the last one I felt was the best one along with the Kyle car episode. I certainly enjoyed their little talk.

llehuty

Surprised that there's some grief at Ian for Update just -now- since the last one I felt was the best one along with the Kyle car episode. I certainly enjoyed their little talk.
There is going to be grief everytime he does something not traditional. (So I guess that almost every week).

I'm personally in for his left-fieldness.

There is going to be grief everytime he does something not traditional. (So I guess that almost every week).

I love the guy and his weirdness (also, Don is great), but I wouldn't be so defensive about it. People may have some fair criticism to express, and Ian (or I guess Blood monitoring the thread) may find that useful advice.

sora87

I don't want to appear ungrateful at all though because I think it's amazing that anyone is willing to even commit to a dollar a month. That sacrifice as well as all the letters of support have been extremely valuable to me, and I'm willing to fight to make this work even though I'm sure I could get a bigger paycheck somewhere else.

clint-nod.gif

Respect!

llehuty

Second ep of frame trap was really good. Ben is a great host also, moving the podcast before it stales in one topic and everything.

And I would be really cool if Brandon did a "Brandon plays" FF7 when he is done with pokemon. There is something about someone trying what is regarded as a classic, visits it for the first time with a fresh perspective.

It also works really well with Bosman and his attention to detail and pokemon expertise.

They could make it into its own show and mix it up with the crew.

______ plays FF7/any JRPG (with Ben)
______ plays Shenmue/Resident Evil (with Huber)
______ plays Bloodborne/another souls game (with Brad/Ian)
______ plays Star Fox (with Don)
______ plays Zelda game (with Damiani)
______ plays the Witness/the witcher 3 (with Bloodworth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom