• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

KXIDUZN.png

EZA comment section, best comment section.

The only thing I could really see coming from it is maybe IGN would be more willing to let them use things from GT (then again they may still want to avoid it just in case)

Very cool though, keeping things available (legally) is what matters. Unfortunately they'll probably shut down the Gametrailers Archive youtube

Hasney

...and?

What does this mean for EZA?

All their old work is archived on a big site and if they've bought all the assets, I'm hoping they have some of the "lost" Viacom stuff.

it's one of the 3 announcements since IGN got Brandon to do the voiceover for the announcement and gave EZA a shout out in the announcement video.

Sounds like IGN will let EZA put up a video on gametrailers to let everyone know where they can find the staff now.

They already have. Pretty cool of IGN. More promotional work for the crew from IGN than their entire time with Defy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_V0I46FycXI

DKHF

I'm behind on Cup of Jones (and most EZA content other than the main podcast and Frame Trap sadly) so I didn't know announcements were coming. Interesting, hopefully one of them is about their E3 plans.

Tsosie

It is all coming to the GT youtube page. So much glorious content. I am sure EZA is not getting anything from the buyout, but maybe some IGN users will see the content and look up the allies.

I dont understand IGN's plan here. They're already currently in the process of fracturing all their content and shows into seperate youtube channels and now they've obtained GT so they can put trailers there? That's a whole lot of seperate subs they're counting on spread out over more than a dozen channels.

As long a EZA continues own their own, it's IGN's headache down the line.

Lemonheap

Banned
Eww, gonna get spammed by the GT youtube with game trailers? I have my fill with Playstation and Nintendo already :S

Unsubscribing.

Hasney

HASNEY SPECULATION TIME

IGN traditionally have a booth on the show floor of E3... I wonder if they're going to let them use it to film some stuff during the show days and that's an announcement?

Eww, gonna get spammed by the GT youtube with game trailers? I have my fill with Playstation and Nintendo already :S

I mean, you could always unsub. it's not like the old crew will be posting vids there.

Visceir

Brandon also mentioned that Defy said they could get their show's names back but that they'd have to wait. Then Brandon added that they can't wait with that and decided to start Easy Allies?

Sounds like there's a good chance Kyle could get Final Bosman back in future if he wanted to...or at least that's what I got out of it.

2 more announcements during the group stream.

Kasper

I can understand IGN wanting that sweet URL, but it's definitely nice of them to still archive everything and have an initial plug for Easy Allies in return for Brandon introducing the changes to smooth the transition.

Great announcement - I would never have predicted this in a million years.

Sounds like there's a good chance Kyle could get Final Bosman back in future if he wanted to...or at least that's what I got out of it.

That would be sweet, and to be honest it's the only one of the old show names that's really worth keeping, as opposed to stuff like Tabletop Adventures that's just as well off being called Tabletop Escapades.

I guess being able to make new episodes of "Levels" would be nice as well, but not really all that important of a get.

Hasney

Brandon also mentioned that Defy said they could get their show's names back but that they'd have to wait. Then Brandon added that they can't wait with that and decided to start Easy Allies?

Oh, I didn't know this. If IGN signed a deal with them to let them have their show trademarks, that would be awesome.

...Other than GT Time, that wouldn't make sense now :lol

EDIT: Well shit. IGN already uploading stuff like old Retrospectives to YouTube. This is the first time I've liked IGN in years!

EDIT AGAIN: Just gonna post the whole update from Patreon. Sounds like they have everything in the archive. Squee!

I bet those are two words you were not expecting to see in the Patreon for Easy Allies. Today I helped IGN announce that they have acquired GameTrailers.com, YouTube.com/GameTrailers, and the entire video archive that still remains after several site revisions over the years. Their purchase was just the URL, the YouTube account, and the videos. They didn’t buy a business, because there was no longer any business to buy.

I have no idea whether this transaction took place during or after my employment at Defy Media. I was brought in recently to chat about what the site and channel could be in the future, and to communicate to all of you what the heck is going on. From my perspective, it seems like IGN sees the GT brand as too good to pass up, and as the person who created it and slaved over it for 14 years, I completely agree with them.

IGN is actually going to try to do what Viacom and Defy Media never could - get trailers for video games on YouTube.com/GameTrailers. It was always tricky even getting those for the main channel, as a lot of publishers and developers now prefer to drive traffic directly to their YouTube link, instead of one from another, unaffiliated channel.

But, they’re IGN, and I think they’ll have a lot more influence, experience, and creativity to do things with the brand that we never could, or never even thought of. I’ve always enjoyed their trailer editorials, like Rewind Theater, and they continue to drop one awesome exclusive after another. In these last few years GT for me became less about the site and more about the people, and I still get to work with those amazing people every day, so I’m ready to let the site go.

Trust me, GameTrailers is in good hands. When I heard about this it put a smile on my face. It was tough to let GT go after being so close to it for such a long time, but just 2 months into Easy Allies I’m fully committed to this new endeavor. It’s difficult for me to imagine a better fate for GT considering how things worked out. I’m ready to see what someone else can do with a location so many of us are used to visiting, especially with all I’ve seen them do so far. So, just like you, I’ll be waiting to see what happens.

Let us not forget, in this moment, the most important thing: the video game trailers themselves. Do they not deserve to have some place to call home that welcomes them with open arms and shows them triumphantly to all the world for the glorious gifts of electric emotion and volcanic hype that they are and forever shall be?

I think they do.

Love & Respect,

Brandon

Tsosie

That patreon post by Brandon sums up a lot regarding this situation. If IGN can really funnel new game trailers to this youtube channel, that will be fantastic. I am so happy that the allies can keep doing what they have been doing these past year, but I was also sad that I did not have a 1 stop place to go and check the daily game trailers anymore. That is why I got hooked on GT like a decade ago. I am hopeful that IGN can do the GT name justice.

Edit: Plus I am about to binge watch,a ton of old retrospectives.

DKHF

I don't care about new trailers being posted to the channel (though it fits the name...) but IGN archiving old GT content is cool.

Good Guy IGN.

Obviously great effort by the community in archiving the Gametrailers videos, and they did a mighty fine job with that. But it´s also nice, to soon have everything in one place.

Good news all around.

Naythan

I'm extremely happy to see that the GT stuff will be archived and that we no longer have really associate anything negative with the old name. It was just chapter 1 of a larger journey. Kudos to IGN for doing this and giving EZA some exposure.

BahamutPT

Their purchase was just the URL, the YouTube account, and the videos. They didn’t buy a business (...)

Since Brandon specifically mentioned the purchase like this, it makes me think they may indeed one day be able to reuse their old show names...

I think its extremely telling that the first thing IGN starts uploading is the Retrospectives, absolutely awesome of them. This news makes me so happy just to see that all the hard work Brandon, the EZA staff and all former GT staff did well over a decade won't be lost and forgotten.

Good on you IGN and glad to see that Brandon as well as the rest of the EZA crew seems truly happy with this.

Do you think there's a chance that they'll announce that kyle is the first full-time employee and that, after the ign acquisition of the gt properties, they got back the final bosman name? I don't believe these are the announcements, but that kinda makes sense...

Hasney

Do you think there's a chance that they'll announce that kyle is the first full-time employee and that, after the ign acquisition of the gt properties, they got back the final bosman name? I don't believe these are the announcements, but that kinda makes sense...

Something tells me one is E3 related. No evidence for this, just my total gut feel.

All of those times Kyle has gone "eew" when IGN was mentioned. Haha.

Real out of the blue news this. I assume IGN just want that "Gametrailers" name yeah? Deep down they couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about anything else. Or is that just me being rather cynical?

Tsosie

All of those times Kyle has gone "eew" when IGN was mentioned. Haha.

Real out of the blue news this. I assume IGN just want that "Gametrailers" name yeah? Deep down they couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about anything else. Or is that just me being rather cynical?

I have to imagine that the bigwigs that run the company prolly felt that way. But I am sure that staff members at IGN are happy to share old GT content. They all work in the same industry. I am sure many employees at IGN respect quality content no matter if it was considered competition.

dickroach

really interesting first announcement. I'm thinking an IGN/EZA E3 might be in the works. like, IGN didn't have anything unique for E3 last year from what I remember; they just kinda had stream feeds and re-caps. they need to give people some reason to go there over the other 500 gaming websites, or just going to Twitch.

I was certain the "announcement on another site" was going to be for Damiani's show, but I guess not. hm

Tsosie

I still do not think 1 of the announcements is about E3. It would be great if they scored a side gig with a big outlet or figured out a way to hold their own location, I just think it was too quick of a turn over. I hope I am wrong though. No matter the scale of their E3 coverage, I know I will be there.

El-Suave

No matter if this means anything for EZA in the short term - it's good, free exposure and "being friends" with IGN can't hurt them down the road.

Kneefoil

That is certainly a very surprising announcement, but it is a good one. There's probably going to be a bunch of content that I've missed that's also not on the fan made GameTrailers Archive YouTube channel, so it's nice to have them easily available like this.

I know that Huber has expressed that he would like to continue the storyline from his show, so if what you're saying is true, the Huber Hype story might continue. Although, it would probably still be harder for him to shoot that stuff now that they aren't all working in the same space all the time.

Volotaire

really interesting first announcement. I'm thinking an IGN/EZA E3 might be in the works. like, IGN didn't have anything unique for E3 last year from what I remember; they just kinda had stream feeds and re-caps. they need to give people some reason to go there over the other 500 gaming websites, or just going to Twitch.

I was certain the "announcement on another site" was going to be for Damiani's show, but I guess not. hm

This would be similar to the Gamespot and Kinda Funny Games partnership last year. I think last year it was just the fact that Gamespot had a spare stage.

Tsosie

E3's like 4 weeks away! I'm sure their plans are pretty put together at this point

I understand it is close. I just think that they may not have had the time and resources to secure something that they would tease as aneeded announcement. Like I said, I hope I am wrong. I would love a stage and guests and whole whole nine yards. I just do not think it will be this year they can get those together. Will be watching E3 through them no matter what though.

Portugeezer

Pretty cool that IGN is taking the time to archive, I know that some gaffers put a lot of effort into also archiving things, but I don't know how successful that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom