• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasper

Great announcements all around. Glad to see Damiani back, and I think there might be a small chance of hitting the 40k goal if they push it hard with a new update/intro video to their channel and what not.

One thing I didn't quite get is whether or not Damiani will be working with them full time. I've just watched the first 25 minutes of the stream, and when they were talking about Damiani returning and working with EZA it seemed they sort of dodged that specific question by making jokes, so we never got an actual answer.

Hasney

I feel like I should clarify that I don't think he's not committing because clearly he's doing a lot and I think all of it is great. My main point was that Final Bosman was my favorite part of GameTrailers, I miss him having a weekly show, and would gladly give EZA more money if that was a reality. I've heard his reasoning and I respect it, and he is both a fantastic podcast moderator and fun streamer at EZA. That doesn't stop me from wishing I could somehow see his high quality scripted comedy and game industry analysis on a more consistent basis.

Yeah, reading it back I shouldn't have grabbed your post in with the others, sorry. It just seems to come up once a week almost about how Kyle isn't committed despite every single thing he does and is going to continue to do.

I don't think everyone has an appreciation of how much goes into the creative process for a show like that. Mandatory Update had a team of writers and that was all one liners. To do Kyles show weekly, he not only needs him full time, but probably a full time editor on call for when he is done. Even though he writes all of it himself too, I bet he bounced a lot of ideas off people around the office and using productivity tools or even video chat for that isnt the same to get a read of how people react to your ideas for a show and if that's the case, it also makes everything a bit harder. Especially for those episodes where there's not a lot of news and has to come up with something original.

Maybe one day we'll see the return of a Bosman weekly show and I really do hope so. But I don't think Patreon will be the answer for that financially. We'll get some key sponsors and get Bosman @ The Bar brought to you by Bud Light.

#FreeTheBosman

Let the man live! Good posts Hasney, Kyle's so heavily involved with a lot of EZA content already, I don't blame him for making those who crave Bosman at Home salivate for more. It's how you Build The Hype™.

We'll get some key sponsors and get Bosman @ The Bar brought to you by Bud Light.

Oh man, I can see it now: Bosman, tie in disarray, top button undone, sitting at a deserted bar nursing a glass of milk while telling the bartender (Huber) his sob stories related to the gaming industry. Gold.

luchadork

The only thing weirder than Bosman uploading his popular show to a different channel is how some people feel the need to defend even the slightest hint of criticism towards EZA.

llehuty

The only thing weirder than Bosman uploading his popular show to a different channel is how some people feel the need to defend even the slightest hint of criticism towards EZA.
What I find weird is people not getting that he can upload the videos wherever the hell he wants since it was never part of Patreon, and he has explained why already (as well as some people in this thread several times, including this page).

But yeah, let's force people to do something they don't want to do. I don't find that taxing being subscribed to an additional channel and keep the patreon stuff in their place. We are getting the same content and he avoids problems of expectations and entitlement from patreons.

Hasney

haven't watched the group stream yet, but did they talk at all about if they can get their old show names back?

Don't believe it was mentioned. Someone in the thread before the stream said Brandon had mentioned Defy said it was possible if they waited (IGN just bought the channel, GT name and domain) but I either missed it or forgot, so someone can fill me in on where he mentioned it.

fastmower

You're throwing gasoline on a non-issue, man. Nothing weird going on if you're capable of empathizing.

Heartfyre

Don't believe it was mentioned. Someone in the thread before the stream said Brandon had mentioned Defy said it was possible if they waited (IGN just bought the channel, GT name and domain) but I either missed it or forgot, so someone can fill me in on where he mentioned it.

He mentioned it near the end of Toybox Tuesday, since the IGN news released early while Brandon was still streaming. Defy told them to wait, but Brandon said they couldn't, (the right call, of course -- imagine being another two months without EZA!) They didn't express precisely that they could use the old names now, nor any desire to. Kaylee sent Bosman a shirt with "The Final Bosman" on it, and Huber joked that they need to send a cheque to IGN. Could mean they can't use the names, but they weren't precise about it and could just be joking.

Par Score

The pressure Kyle seems to put on himself as compared to ian or huber is what is keeping Bosman at home off EZA. The frankly dickish comments about him not committing are what is keeping it off EZA. Every five pages we have this discussion and it further reinforces my belief that Kyle did the right thing to leave it off the main channel. You guys would tear him apart if he missed a week and it was part of a patreon

Sadly accurate.

I totally didn't get Kyle's decision at first, but the reaction to it even here (in what should be a friendly and supportive thread) shows it was totally the right call.

That feel when if everybody would put their twitch subscription moneyz toward patreon we would have hit the E3 milestone already ;-;. That's the reason I don't subscribe to their Twitch, I'd rather have EZA get maximum amount of my money instead of the huge cut Twitch gets.

I don't think we will hit it in time. 3k boost in just a few weeks would be huge.

Doc_Drop

I'm certainly going to comment on what I see as misplaced criticism seemingly showing a lack of understanding of the realities of life and media production. When people try and compare the output of a salaried, officed, and financially supported staff with access to studios, equipment, and support staff and corporate backing to what is at the moment essentially an independent media outlet I feel like pointing out the lack of realistic insight.

We all want them to do well and we would all like more videos and for all the shows we loved to be available. But the reality is that it will likely be a slow burn unless someone comes in with big money, and the thought of that has it's positives and negatives especially considering how Viacom and Defy have acted in the past

Oh man, I can see it now: Bosman, tie in disarray, top button undone, sitting at a deserted bar nursing a glass of milk while telling the bartender (Huber) his sob stories related to the gaming industry. Gold.

That's a legit good idea for a show. Especially if it's shot like The Shining so Huber may not even be real.

Mikey Jr.

The pressure Kyle seems to put on himself as compared to ian or huber is what is keeping Bosman at home off EZA. The frankly dickish comments about him not committing are what is keeping it off EZA. Every five pages we have this discussion and it further reinforces my belief that Kyle did the right thing to leave it off the main channel. You guys would tear him apart if he missed a week and it was part of a patreon

+1

If bosman missed an episode, I guarantee you the people asking for final bosman on here would throw a shitfit. Probably threaten to cancel their Patreon.

Nah, fuck that. Keep doing what your doing Kyle.

LewieP

In my mind, the purpose of a patreon is so that creators of any kind are able to create their work on their own terms, rather than someone else's.

If a backer isn't happy with the nature of Kyle's involvement, they are free to cancel their payment. Chucking in a few dollars doesn't entitle you to anything beyond what they are offering as backer rewards. Offering feedback and criticism is reasonable, but there are plenty factors at play that might not be immediately apparent from the outside, so it's good to be aware of them.

luchadork

When people try and compare the output of a salaried, officed, and financially supported staff with access to studios, equipment, and support staff and corporate backing to what is at the moment essentially an independent media outlet I feel like pointing out the lack of realistic insight.

i dont think people are comparing the output. most are being completely reasonable about their expectations in regards to output. and even quality tbh. its not a question of what he does. or when he does it. but where he does it.

people just think it would be more beneficial to 'the movement™' to have bosman put his show on the EZA channel. thats it. and some of you guys are making it out like they are being unreasonable hate mongers. bosmans just being weird. its ok to admit it. it doesnt mean people hate EZA or kyle or want him to bend over backwards for us. its a simple question about putting his occasional video in a place where it would help EZA a lot. by denying it youre making it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.

Mikey Jr.

i dont think people are comparing the output. most are being completely reasonable about their expectations in regards to output. and even quality tbh. its not a question of what he does. or when he does it. but where he does it.

people just think it would be more beneficial to 'the movement™' to have bosman put his show on the EZA channel. thats it. and some of you guys are making it out like they are being unreasonable hate mongers. bosmans just being weird. its ok to admit it. it does mean people hate EZA or kyle or want him to bend over backwards for us. its a simple question about putting his occasional video in a place where it would help EZA a lot.

People on here already incessantly ask where an episode of something is when it's late. What do you think would happen if bosman put his show on eza, but then didn't make an episode for 3 weeks?

Do you think everyone would be reasonable? If something goes up on the YouTube channel, there's a belief that the patron money is going towards it.
Fun fact: the 4800 patrons probably aren't all on GAF.

Hasney

I said it was just Bosman being weird at the start, then after the first episode of Easy Update where the comments of the Patreon were mostly positive but the negative ones always said "As a backer" or "think of backers" and then I realised he was totally right to do it the way he has.

Wanting the show on EZA in its current form is fine, wanting more is fine as long as you understand that will cost more money and would probably have to be a stertch goal because of everything that would have to go into something like that. To say Bosman isn't committed to EZA is factually incorrent and just a tiring song and dance at this point.

Visceir

I said it was just Bosman being weird at the start, then after the first episode of Easy Update where the comments of the Patreon were mostly positive but the negative ones always said "As a backer" or "think of backers" and then I realised he was totally right to do it the way he has.

Wanting the show on EZA in its current form is fine, wanting more is fine as long as you understand that will cost more money and would probably have to be a stertch goal because of everything that would have to go into something like that. To say Bosman isn't committed to EZA is factually incorrent and just a tiring song and dance at this point.

You can say that but it doesn't come across like that to many people. This discussion started because a member was contemplating increasing his pledge exactly because this was unclear to him and surely he isn't the only one.

Tsosie

Seeing Damiani on the group stream was huge high for me regarding EZA. I have always loved the content he makes and I really thought him moving back to California was going to be a pipe dream. I have missed hearing him on the podcasts so much. He is often quiet with little to add on subjects that he does not care a lot about. However when a subject comes up that he is passionate about he is the best a digging down and uncovering what is really happening. Now it is time for the group to really create a FF14 guild and do a weekly guild stream. Maybe once a month they can get together and have a discussion on the game and their experiences together.

luchadork

Seeing Damiani on the group stream was huge high for me regarding EZA. I have always loved the content he makes and I really thought him moving back to California was going to be a pipe dream. I have missed hearing him on the podcasts so much. He is often quiet with little to add on subjects that he does not care a lot about. However when a subject comes up that he is passionate about he is the best a digging down and uncovering what is really happening. Now it is time for the group to really create a FF14 guild and do a weekly guild stream. Maybe once a month they can get together and have a discussion on the game and their experiences together.

yup. fucking stoked to have damiani back in town. i love the idea of starting EZA guilds in things. ff14, wow, maybe even a minecraft server.

Kasper

Another bonus with Damiani is that he is by far the best at playing along when Kyle improvs and actually plays along without being prompted to do so. I loved when the two would both start impersonating Nintendo execs on GT Time out of the blue, it was so funny. Ever since Damiani left the response from everyone else is basically to either stare blankly at him or stare and smile a bit, which is totally fine as improv isn't for everyone, but Kyle and Damiani just had such a great dynamic that he was greatly missed.

Doc_Drop

people just think it would be more beneficial to 'the movement™' to have bosman put his show on the EZA channel. thats it. and some of you guys are making it out like they are being unreasonable hate mongers. bosmans just being weird. its ok to admit it. it doesnt mean people hate EZA or kyle or want him to bend over backwards for us. its a simple question about putting his occasional video in a place where it would help EZA a lot. by denying it youre making it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.

That's a fair point and I don't mean to make out like there is overt animosity from some people. I just think losing his baby as it were in Final Bosman when it all got closed down really impacted him and I honestly would feel the same as him in that sense. Apprehensive about committing a show/format that he feels so strongly about to something under another brand and not his own. I think an office and a studio could change his mind in the long run. All we can really do now is to support his YouTube channel and accept that he doesn't want his very personal work to be beholden to schedule and backer opinion.

Joqu

"This show is not part of the Patreon-funded schedule and as such may only be uploaded irregularly". Would there really be additional pressure on Kyle if Bosman at Home were uploaded on the Easy Allies channel with a disclaimer along those lines at the start of it? Look, it's his choice, I'm not going to contest that, and I sure as hell don't think he isn't committed to EZA, but I do think it's unfortunate it's separate considering his show does better than any other show does on the EZA channel right now.

Whoa whoa whoa hold on there cowboy. In my eyes Kyle makes EZA without him I wouldn't have even gotten into GameTrailers at all. That's why I said I didn't want to actually use the word committing because it sounds like I'm ragging when really he already does a great job. I just want one of the most popular shows (if not the most popular show) GameTrailer's had to come with regularity. And that list of content he's doing is great but I think most people would Dumb Game Monday for more Bosman at Home even if it doesn't have the production value of something like The Final Bosman.

+1

If bosman missed an episode, I guarantee you the people asking for final bosman on here would throw a shitfit. Probably threaten to cancel their Patreon.

Nah, fuck that. Keep doing what your doing Kyle.

I don't think that's true of this audience at all. EZA is the most niche thing I've ever paid for and I bet most of their backers are pretty loyal. I've seen a lot of people post that this is their first Patreon and I don't see any of that shitfit throwing behavior in this community.

"This show is not part of the Patreon-funded schedule and as such may only be uploaded irregularly". Would there really be additional pressure on Kyle if Bosman at Home were uploaded on the Easy Allies channel with a disclaimer along those lines at the start of it? Look, it's his choice, I'm not going to contest that, and I sure as hell don't think he isn't committed to EZA, but I do think it's unfortunate it's separate considering his show does better than any other show does on the EZA channel right now.

The fact that it's on a separate channel helps to keep it separate in people's minds. A disclaimer would inevitably be overlooked and ignored by some, and there would be additional pressure/calls for Kyle to keep to a regular schedule, accompanied by expectation or entitlement. The way its set up is the best way to avoid appearance of connection to the Patreon.

And if it's going to be irregularly scheduled either way, what's the drawback to it being its own thing? Let it be its own thing. The current set up is working well.

That's where I'm standing. I'd love Bosman at home to be part of the EZA channel, simply because the show does great and would give them more exposure (them views...).

But I completely understand where Kyle is coming from and why he's doing it this way and I'm fine with that. I don't expect him to do more than he's doing right now (same goes for the others). I'm paying my 10 bucks for the podcast and everything else I'm getting out of EZA is icing on the cake.
I'm basically still grateful that they were able to come back and do this at all.

And yes, while the discussion about a regular Bosman comes up over and over again, I think it's the minority of the community who are genuinely complaining about it or demanding it. Explain the situation or ignore it and leave it to the EZA crew to explain it, if they feel like it.

Now, can we please go back to discussing how they should spend their own money and how everyone should be a full time employee by now, ignoring the reality of life? That would be great.

Philippo

I too would love more frequent, higher budget content form Bossy, but i understand that he wants to be without pressure, plus i guess he has to look for a job now, which takes priority over anything.

Joqu

The fact that it's on a separate channel helps to keep it separate in people's minds. A disclaimer would inevitably be overlooked and ignored by some, and there would be additional pressure/calls for Kyle to keep to a regular schedule, accompanied by expectation or entitlement. If it's going to be irregularly scheduled either way, what's the drawback to it being its own thing? Let it be its own thing. The current set up is working well.

I'm sure there'd be people who would overlook a disclaimer, but they'd be a minority and honestly it'd still be there to cover him. The kind of people who'd ignore it probably shouldn't be listened to anyway.

The drawback of it being its own thing is that I think a whole lot of the people watching Bosman at Home right now aren't paying any attention to his EZA content at all and I think that's a shame.

And yeah, this:

I don't think that's true of this audience at all. EZA is the most niche thing I've ever paid for and I bet most of their backers are pretty loyal. I've seen a lot of people post that this is their first Patreon and I don't see any of that shitfit throwing behavior in this community.

There's always going to be some people with a feeling of entitlement backing this thing, they're already there, but it's few and far between and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Most patreon backers are an understanding bunch.

So yeah, I just don't think there'd be a whole lot of disadvantages to making it part of the main channel. As long as it's communicated clearly people wouldn't be expecting Kyle to put out content more frequently. But if it's not going to change then that's that.

The Final Bosman is great but I rather let creative people have freedom to explore and experiment because their next project may be even better. I am very happy with the current content and can't wait to see what else the guys come up with. Love and Respect.

Doc_Drop

I'm paying my 10 bucks for the podcast and everything else I'm getting out of EZA is icing on the cake.
I'm basically still grateful that they were able to come back and do this at all.

The Final Bosman is great but I rather let creative people have freedom to explore and experiment because their next project may be even better. I am very happy with the current content and can't wait to see what else the guys come up with. Love and Respect.

This is basically my sentiment. They know what they are doing and I'm enjoying having them do what they do. I just know how criticism can affect the mind of a creative and sometimes get too passionate about trying to ensure that they get as much positivity as possible

Yep, this is exactly where i'm at with this as well. I also feel like explaining the sporadic upload schedule of his show would be way less of a hassle compared to the weekly discussion we rehash each time we talk about Bosman.

Mostly, it just feels like they are unnecessarily hampering their own growth doing it this way. Obviously everyone in this thread knows about both channels, but there's so many that aren't nearly as clued in as we are. For evidence of that, just read how many comments of people who were surprised about the whole IGN thing and had no idea EZA was even a thing at all. I'm pretty sure it was said their youtube subs went up 4k after yesterdays announcement. Bosman vids are routinely getting 50k plus views, if that were on the main EZA channel, that would make if easier for others to subscribe and be exposed to the podcasts/shows/reviews etc hopefully giving those shows a boost. All EZA shows are all quality, they just need every bit if exposure they can get to grow.

Brandon has hinted many times that he wants to make some of the guys full-time and Bosman is looking for a full-time job. I hope this happens.

Tankard

Yep, this is exactly where i'm at with this as well. I also feel like explaining the sporadic upload schedule of his show would be way less of a hassle compared to the weekly discussion we rehash each time we talk about Bosman.

Mostly, it just feels like they are unnecessarily hampering their own growth doing it this way. Obviously everyone in this thread knows about both channels, but there's so many that aren't nearly as clued in as we are. For evidence of that, just read how many comments of people who were surprised about the whole IGN thing and had no idea EZA was even a thing at all. I'm pretty sure it was said their youtube subs went up 4k after yesterdays announcement. Bosman vids are routinely getting 50k plus views, if that were on the main EZA channel, that would make if easier for others to subscribe and be exposed to the podcasts/shows/reviews etc hopefully giving those shows a boost. All EZA shows are all quality, they just need every bit if exposure they can get to grow.

Brandon has hinted many times that he wants to make some of the guys full-time and Bosman is looking for a full-time job. I hope this happens.

Agreed.

kami_sama

About the names of the old shows at GT, I wasn't a fan of them before Easy Allies, mostly Countdown and The Final Bosman. So for me, going back to the old shows, old storylines, etc doesn't make much sense.

I'd like Easy Allies to be a new era.

Portugeezer

This is not story spoilers but if you care about going in completely blind don't click

He was talking about the priority of who cries out for Nate when the player dies. Presumably referring to Elena getting priority over everyone else. Which I don't even think is true 100% of the time but whatever. Even if it isn't, it's his wife.

Very much disagree and think he's looking a bit too hard for it but so be it

Wow.

demu

I'm now officially a patron. :)

Didn't even know these guys before they started with EZA, but I already love them and especially their podcasts. I really hope they'll reach their 40k goal asap.

Hasney

Oh my god, such a fun episode. One of those ones where Bens plans were thrown way off track early on.

Ben: With Law having time to think, was that the end of that filming block?

I'm now officially a patron. :)

Didn't even know these guys before they started with EZA, but I already love them and especially their podcasts. I really hope they'll reach their 40k goal asap.

Welcome to the club!

wJT6edn.gif

sinxtanx

for this TTE adventure I now want the group to end up with just a giant posse of assorted befriended creatures

a fantasy justice league

Oh my god, such a fun episode. One of those ones where Bens plans were thrown way off track early on.

Ben: With Law having time to think, was that the end of that filming block?

Welcome to the club!

wJT6edn.gif

Yes. Huber's had five weeks to think of some totally absurd action that breaks everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom