• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to say a potentially controversial thing, that I nonetheless sincerely think. Beware, so please don't be too easily offended. Also I haven't watched this week podcast yet.

I loved Damiani's show at GT, but I never liked him in other content forms. He's super knowledgeable, but his attitude towards other guests makes every podcast he's in a chore to listen. Sometimes he is super trolly and tends to ramble about every subject to the point where you can actually feel the other guests refrain to comment on a subject matter just not to startle him again.
I suspect this is something due to his own insicurities, because he seems like a gentle sensitive guy in other situations. Maybe being more on camera with them may help him to loosen up and to mesh better with the other allies, as the others have now matured this relationship where they mostly know when give each other shit, and lightly provoke each other, while stll not being disruptive of the conversation. Damiani was sadly not there to be part of this evolution and he always come up very heavy handed when it's time to discuss a topic (and maybe joyfully agree to disagree).

Start correction music...

I'm watching the podcast right now and I'm totally in tune with Damiani. So you can all call me a moron. I deserve it.

Michael if you're reading this, Love and Respect...

sora87

I enjoy Damiani's rambles, mainly about nintendo and nintendo related matters.
Him and Kyle had the best chemistry on streams, shame we probably won't get any of them in the future.

Impressed with Damiani on the podcast. Really feared he'd just be trolling and grumpy like he was on GT time, which really isn't whats makes the Allies so special. But he was great, his views on Nintendo and Zelda are right on.

gazele

Banned
I enjoy Damiani's rambles, mainly about nintendo and nintendo related matters.
Him and Kyle had the best chemistry on streams, shame we probably won't get any of them in the future.

Why not?

Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the icebreaker, just takes too long and I personally liked the superseat questions more

Why not?

Gotta say I'm not a huge fan of the icebreaker, just takes too long and I personally liked the superseat questions more
100% with you.

I'd actually go a step further and say I actively dislike it. Unlike superseat questions, I actually fast forward past the icebreaker now - I honestly think it's both awkward and kinda lame. Improv can be fun, but this rap thing is so forced.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Why not?

I think I agree with this, but some of it might be because everyone has to be taught how to do it each time at this point. Once everyone knows how it works, it should go faster and more smoothly.

However, I don't anticipate as much creativity or surprise as compared to the superseat questions. I think the fast pace and the pressure of rhyming/guessing means people will spit out the first thing they think of. This could lead to funny moments alongside the expected ones, but then they're quickly passed over to move to the next person as the beat still moves. This activity also seems more difficult for those who aren't as quickly creative or comfortable with performance (even if this is super low-stakes). With superseat questions, you learned more about each person and the follow-up questions allowed for elaboration. I imagine was also a slightly more accessible format for the participants.

All of that said, the line about Ghostbusters started to show me some of the potential of this activity, so maybe it will improve. I just get the feeling with this activity, if good as an icebreaker, doesn't offer as much to me as a listener as the superseat questions did.

Weighed it for a while and I'm upping my pledge to $10. Don't really care about the community video inclusion, but I want to see them reach their E3 coverage goal!

sora87

Why not?

The only time they all get together is the group streams, doubt Damiani and Bosman will have the opportunity to just stream together and troll each other like the GT days

Maligna

Banned
From what I can tell, the YES/NO split on the ice breaker seems to be about 50/50. Kyle is probably in a tough position on whether to continue or not.

Par Score

I love the ice breaker as a concept, but the Beastie Boys isn't my favourite execution.

Also, it made more sense when there was an extremely irregular 4th chair. Now the 3rd and 4th chairs are drawn from a rotating cast of what, 7 people? Everyone on the podcast is effectively a regular, so it seems more forced now.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Fine with them experimenting on the icebreaker thing I think I liked the whole "what's your most recent mistake?" the most though.

Yeah, I skip the icebreaking rap (and will always skip it)

It doesn't matter to me if the keep it in (because I'll just skip it) but if they want to try for something new, I'm up for that as well.

Zomba13

Since the podcast just went up for the public, I gotta side with Blood on the icebreaker, just don't.

Just watching it now. Yeah. It's just a clusterfuck. Explaining the rules, making sure people understand then it falling apart instantly. What did they do before this? They didn't have anything, they just talked then went into corrections? I mean, I didn't listen during the GT days so I guess if they always start with a bad game or something and people like it then sure, why not. But it's just like minutes of wasted time and they aren't that long anyway.

Blood, you always get me with the casual "We'll see you before the next Blood moon rises" lol. Just listened to the podcast for this week; it was hilarious as usual. That opening bit was great, and hearing Damiani talk about Zelda just felt..... right.

Good to see you guys ASSEMBLED again :]

Lexad

From what I can tell, the YES/NO split on the ice breaker seems to be about 50/50. Kyle is probably in a tough position on whether to continue or not.

It is not even 50/50 in this thread and quite a few YouTube comments were against it. If an ally does not like it or is uncomfortable, I think it should stop.

Super seat was amazing because you learned something about the guest, this is just silly. Incorporate superseat questions that the two guests have to work together to answer. Imagine the tron/light saber question but each ally had to choose one so they could negotiate or discuss how to distribute the two weapons

Mikey Jr.

Their Patreon has really had a resurgence. Thought 40k before e3 was a pipe dream. Now it seems like it has a great shot at actually happening.

In my opinion, the whole ign thing has been a real boon for eza. That video they put up drew like a couple thousand subs to their youtube.

They need more stuff like that. Thats why I thought it was a great move putting game sleuth on a different channel. Really hope that works out.

The thing about the questions was that it was inoffensively quick and fun. The rap takes too long, isn't nearly as funny and doesn't seem to be enjoyed by the show guests as much.

Get rid of it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
There's some odd interpersonal tension in the most recent podcast that's making me a little uncomfortable...but I'm also super sensitive to that kind of stuff. I'm not very far into it (about 20 minutes in), so hopefully it's only good vibes from here! One good thing is that the moments of tension seem to dissipate very quickly, so it doesn't seem like it's bothering anyone too badly. :)

so1337

If half of the people don't enjoy a part of the show, you stop doing that part. It's a no-brainer.

I like Kyle as a host more than that of any other podcast I listen to, (and believe me, there are some podcasts I listen to about things I like that I wish had a Bosman hosting them instead of a moron) but in this episode and the last one, it feels like he's overdoing it a little bit. What stuck out to me last week was making Huber hold onto his thought almost indefinitely, and this week it was insisting on the icebreaker even though it worked so poorly last week, and getting aggressive about phones.

I get why in each case, but I think the show is best when he's more laid back.

luchadork

#teamicebreaker

shit was funny. as opposed to dull 'what animal would you be' or 'what lightsabre colour do you like'... who gives a fuck!

Kasper

I'm neither here nor there with the ice breaker. However, I certainly hope the intro question doesn't return. I don't care what weapon they would pick.

Zomba13

#teamicebreaker

shit was funny. as opposed to dull 'what animal would you be' or 'what lightsabre colour do you like'... who gives a fuck!

Exactly how I feel about doing a shitty, badly paced, out of synch rap that takes too long to explain and get right and even when it goes right some people don't join in on the part you are meant to.

I'm still confused on why something like this is needed, I thought the start of the podcast was fine previously but then I never listened to it at GT so if shitty unfunny games are a big part of the start then I'll just have to get used to skipping it.

Rosur

On the Icebreaker I think it would be good if everyone got into it though as there not I think it would be better to change it.

El-Suave

I'm pro Beasties but if it gets voted off I'd drop the Icebreaker completely. There are two "guests" each week, so the thing will take too much time anyway and they're freaking EASY ALLIES, there shouldn't be ice to break to begin with.

Heartfyre

I'm pro Beasties but if it gets voted off I'd drop the Icebreaker completely. There are two "guests" each week, so the thing will take too much time anyway and they're freaking EASY ALLIES, there shouldn't be ice to break to begin with.

It's less about breaking-the-ice for me, and more about starting the show with a bit of lighthearted bit of inanity before getting down to business. Start it off jolly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom