• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

llehuty

Wait, how does that work?
I only have a Patreon account for Easy Allies so I don't know how any of this works.
You go to "your pledges" on the menu on the top right. Then on edit, and write the amount you want to pledge.

Should also be doable on a smartphone app.

Hasney

Wait, how does that work?
I only have a Patreon account for Easy Allies so I don't know how any of this works.

Click your icon in the top right of the page when logged in, go to Your Pledges, click edit on your pledge amount and type anything you like into the box.

NuttSack

Neat!
2RbtxWx.jpg

Go Allies! GO!

Visceir

Because their shows already look and sound very good, and you have to manage resources, since they are limited.
Which includes paying the people their salaries, bills and all the other amenities.
Equipment is important, but it's ONE part of the puzzle.
I think a balanced growth is smarter than throwing all of your eggs into one basket and have the other areas suffer for it.

Clearly they feel it can/should be better or they wouldn't have brought it up in the 40k pitch. As you said, you only buy equipment once, it would have been a one time investment out of that 38k/month.

It just generally feels like they lack someone with video/tech know-how who would make a valid case and explain why this stuff is important.

Or maybe they're saving all this for when they actually get a studio space -- which might never happen.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Clearly they feel it can/should be better or they wouldn't have brought it up in the 40k pitch. As you said, you only buy equipment once, it would have been a one time investment out of that 38k/month.

It just generally feels like they lack someone with video/tech know-how who would make a valid case and explain why this stuff is important.

Or maybe they're saving all this for when they actually get a studio space -- which might never happen.

2 words again budget management. You have to consider running operations cost no matter if it's a one off cost.
Given the quality we received so far it seem you just overestimate the importance massively.

From a producer perspective there are always things to improve with better tech/bigger budgets and most people that work in that field also like new toys.

It's like you're one of the business men trying to coerce an independent start up into shooting their marketing spot with a RED camera, despite only uploading it to youtube later where 1080p is max.

llehuty

Well it can be a one time investment of the 40k/month ;)

They could easily just drop that stretch goal once they achieve the goal, or transform that stretch goal into something different.

And it's obvious they could use better equipment for the streaming side of things. Definitely something that would really improve their E3 coverage. The equipments for their podcasts are ok though.

Visceir

It's like you're one of the business men trying to coerce an independent start up into shooting their marketing spot with a RED camera, despite only uploading it to youtube later where 1080p is max.

More like being a casual youtube viewer who has noticed a significant increase in quality on those channels who have done the investment.

First impressions tend to matter a lot if they want to broaden their audience.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
More like being a casual youtube viewer who has noticed a significant increase in quality on those channels who have done the investment.

First impressions tend to matter a lot if they want to broaden their audience.

Well how about giving context what channels have made the investment, what was their financial position. What was their starting equipment and what was the upgrade they did.
What was the cost of the that upgrade. What nature was the upgrade, full replacement or additional stuff, etc etc.

Many factors to consider when you budget and weight the cost against the payoff.

As for first impressions when you look at the youtube landscape, content matters more than production when you're already above the not massively high minimum quality threshold. Lots of channels(example: Jeremy Jahns) I follow that grew to be very popular started with even worse quality what we see from EZA right now and sure there's an argument that some started at a time when standards were lower but in the big picture the lesson to be taken away is the same.
And I'd say EZA are already fulfilling that on that front.

Not putting the wagon before the horse and upgrading as capacities increase is the sensible thing to do.
---------------------------------------------------
On a different note that DQ event right now...... ~_~
Getting Atlus flashbacks.

J-Skee

Man, I'm watching the E3 Final Bets from last year & I'm so hyped right now. I may have to up my pledge from $7.08 to $10.

Volotaire

Gotcha. Forgot they were in LA already and that's where E3 is held. Can't wait. E3 is one of my favorite times of be year, partly because of the coverage and reactions.

Edit: speaking of bets that's going to have to happen in the next week or so right?

In the last two years of E3 bets, the videos were uploaded within the week before E3. So I suppose 2 more weeks.

UrbanRats

I don't get your reasoning.
Equipment can always be better, that's obvious.
Unless you think with the 40k tier they're going to buy some Red cameras.
It's all a balance between what you have, what you need, and what is good enough, given your budget.
Increase the budget, and you increase the level of equipment you can have, in steps.

EDIT: Holundrian covered it already, yeah.

About a year ago I bought the ME Trilogy on the PSN store for under 5 bucks.
Don't see why they would need to spend hundreds on the DLC, the games give you more than enough on their own.
A big chunk of that DLC is plot crucial stuff. Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Leviathan are all necessary and aren't included in the trilogy pack. The Kasumi and Citadel DLCs are optional but fun and do a good job of expanding the universe, while everything else can be skipped.

Have they said if they are renting a space for E3 coverage kinda like Giant Bomb does or is it going to be at jones' garage?
I asked a Q in the comments of one of the previous Cup of Jones', no answer tho.
How about YouTube Spaces in LA? Full production/editing suite? Don't know the cost, but, IMHO, could be worth for E3?
Unless it's gazillion miles from the LA Conv. Center.
Just a thought...

mishakoz

I asked a Q in the comments of one of the previous Cup of Jones', no answer tho.
How about YouTube Spaces in LA? Full production/editing suite? Don't know the cost, but, IMHO, could be worth for E3?
Just a thought...

He answered this on a prior cup of Jones, about 5 weeks ago or something. He replied that he hasn't thought about it yet.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work with the YouTube Space rules, which I did a little research on. They wouldn't be able to live stream on twitch, since it's a competitor, and for YT live streaming they need 100k subs. Plus they would not be able to rent it for the entire day most likely.

It might work for future shows but not this.

Just a thought...

If they were to do a YouTube space, they couldn't stream to Twitch, which is where their audience is. I don't think it'd be a HUGE deal since they could just throw it up on the Patreon and we'd all get alerted, but YouTube streaming has a long way to go before it becomes super functional.

Fbh

Great new podcast.

I think the time Damiani spent away from GT did him really good, at least in terms of being part of a podcast

I've allways liked him, but I remember when I started to get into GT Time people used to complain about Damiani because he was a bit more introverted and didn't talk as much as the the other members of the team.

But now, in the past 2 weeks he has been next to Kyle as the most active member of the panel. And it's great. I wouldn't mind him becoming a permanent part of the podcast and see the return of the super seat (plus a few episodes with a different cast, just to keep things fresh)

J-Skee

Great new podcast.

I think the time Damiani spent away from GT did him really good, at least in terms of being part of a podcast

I've allways liked him, but I remember when I started to get into GT Time people used to complain about Damiani because he was a bit more introverted and didn't talk as much as the the other members of the team.

But now, in the past 2 weeks he has been next to Kyle as the most active member of the panel. And it's great. I wouldn't mind him becoming a permanent part of the podcast and see the return of the super seat (plus a few episodes with a different cast, just to keep things fresh)

The reason the superseat was introduced was because Damiani left. The original crew was Damiani, Bloodworth, Jones & Bosman.

Neat!
2RbtxWx.jpg

Go Allies! GO!

Hope they make it to $40K, but I can't help but think there will be a larger than normal drop off after June 1. It seems odd they are treating a monthly contribution goal for a one time purchase. Seems like it would be better to setup a one time fund-me donation campaign to purchase new equipment. I think that would have a good shot at succeeding.

Keep the Patreon more consistent with monthly contributions. Oh well, Maybe I'm wrong.

Hasney

Hope they make it to $40K, but I can't help but think there will be a larger than normal drop off after June 1. It seems odd they are treating a monthly contribution goal for a one time purchase. Seems like it would be better to setup a one time fund-me donation campaign to purchase new equipment. I think that would have a good shot at succeeding.

Keep the Patreon more consistent with monthly contributions. Oh well, Maybe I'm wrong.

Nah, it worked great for Kinda Funny. It just dropped back to normal levels while getting a boost for what they needed. It's better to do it where there's already engagement rather than a whole new thing. It doesn't matter if there's a large drop off, they got paid.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

It has an even better chance to come off incredibly bad. If the last few years have thought us anything be careful about the how you ask for money(Several examples in Kickstarter stories but also in gaming payment models).

Srsly any attempts to have a separate one off like you want it just has dozen of ways to be taken the wrong way this is better.

Again people need to calm down about the 40k goal we all want to see them succeed but not reaching the 40k goal is no biggie, realistically speaking. If you're here for the content you'll still get that no matter what.

Wiggy

Nah, it worked great for Kinda Funny. It just dropped back to normal levels while getting a boost for what they needed. It's better to do it where there's already engagement rather than a whole new thing. It doesn't matter if there's a large drop off, they got paid.

Yeah, and KFs patreon is still much higher then it was pre boost (17k vs 32k according to graphtreon). It's a good way to get new people to try the patreon experience so they might get hooked and hang around.

I think it might be a bit better than you think. If you notice, the contributions are steadily rising by about $5. I haven't taken a look at the Patron count, but I'd like to think that it's steadily rising as well. People are more likely to stick around if they're just pitching in a little bit.

Felt like Ian went back to roleplaying Lailia this time around as the personality was completely different from previous times.

You have to remember Yogalla and Therese kinda bonded when they went off on their own, not to mention Yogalla tried, in his own way, to comfort Therese when she had her break down.

I think she's just acting more friendly to him because of that experience and their shared love of magic.

Hasney

Great new podcast.

I'd prefer it if he wasn't a permanent part of the podcast. Love him, but I love the rest of the guys too and I wouldn't want to have to wait for double the rotation time to get them all on.

NuttSack

A big chunk of that DLC is plot crucial stuff. Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Leviathan are all necessary and aren't included in the trilogy pack. The Kasumi and Citadel DLCs are optional but fun and do a good job of expanding the universe, while everything else can be skipped.
I get your point, I don't know exactly the names of all the DLC but I remember playing some of them that came along the ME trilogy like Shadow Broker, Zaeed, Normandy Crash Site, Stolen Memory and others that i'm looking up right now that were included.
I just want Jones to play Mass Effect since I think it'll spark some awesome conversations on the couch, going in dept into some moral choices he makes and whatnot.
I actually would love to have a "____ Plays" like Brandon and Kyle are doing with the other Allies on games they never played before and comeback every week to talk where they are at and what they did, what they like or don't like.

Um, anyone got a link to the guys' reaction to Cloud being in Smash. Spent too long searching for the Twitch stream. When I found it, it did not work. Thanks.

jbluzb

I'd prefer it if he wasn't a permanent part of the podcast. Love him, but I love the rest of the guys too and I wouldn't want to have to wait for double the rotation time to get them all on.

me too, I like the 2 rotation people guest seats much better; more jolly :)

wish Don would participate in the next podcast...

Great new podcast.

I like the Bosman + Jones + rotation format a lot, hope they keep it.

You have to remember Yogalla and Therese kinda bonded when they went off on their own, not to mention Yogalla tried, in his own way, to comfort Therese when she had her break down.

I think she's just acting more friendly to him because of that experience and their shared love of magic.

Aaaaaand Therese is going to wreck her only friendship in the group by trying to trick a grieving Yogalla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom