• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Just wait for official announcements rather than staring at the number really. We have no idea what the split of failed payments and dropped pledges after their actual payments were taken. Brandon did say E3 of Dreams on the group stream last night too.

dex3108

Just wait for official announcements rather than staring at the number really. We have no idea what the split of failed payments and dropped pledges after their actual payments were taken. Brandon did say E3 of Dreams on the group stream last night too.

I believe that they will do it even if they get 39K.

Hasney

WTF, it's a 37K right now.

Yup, it dropped 2k last time so with temporary pledges on top of the bounces, seems pretty normal. I'd expect it to go back to the standard early month $35k by the end of the month.

Like I said, best to wait for official announcements from EZA as we have no idea what is contributing to the drops yet.

Wiggy

Surprised people are surprised about the drop. People have been talking for pages how that's gonna happen. And on a previous cup of jones Brandon answered a question about hitting a goal then dropping below, he said they'd still do it for as long as possible (I think the example he was using was the studio goal).

J-Skee

Yup, it dropped 2k last time so with temporary pledges on top of the bounces, seems pretty normal. I'd expect it to go back to the standard early month $35k by the end of the month.

Like I said, best to wait for official announcements from EZA as we have no idea what is contributing to the drops yet.

I feel so bad now. I had to drop my pledge due to some financial changes going on this week, but it was still over $40K when I did it last night. I already planned on pledging again later this week, but damn. Hopefully I can do it today.

Surprised people are surprised about the drop. People have been talking for pages how that's gonna happen. And on a previous cup of jones Brandon answered a question about hitting a goal then dropping below, he said they'd still do it for as long as possible (I think the example he was using was the studio goal).

I guess as long as they got the $40K in the bank, it shouldn't matter too much.

Visceir

Been watching the FF 7 full playthrough from last year and this part seemed weird to me:
https://youtu.be/Pb77fPQGfCw?t=9212

Brad asks what they're doing for Gamescom and Kyle explains how Blood & Brandon never discussed anything and it was pretty much just Elyse organising everything. Hope they've got a better grasp of the situation now.

Also -- Ben "I trust Kamiya more than my girlfriend" Moore, lol.

Also! I miss hand checks :(

Kasper

The thing with these drops is that's not the case. There's two reasons for the drop:

1. Legit issues with peoples payment methods, such as their credit card not accepting the charge, etc. People have a few days to fix these issues so their payment can get processed.

2. People scamming the system. When the time to pay comes they drop out to avoid paying for the content they've been receiving for the past month. In past months it has seemed like that's at least about 1000 dollars, as the tally starts rising again after the previous months payment period is over.

So far there seems to be no fix for scammers in place from Patreon's side, but hopefully they will find some way to block repeated offenders in the future so you get locked out of even being able to join with your card/paypal.

Hasney

The thing with these drops is that's not the case. There's two reasons for the drop:

1. Legit issues with peoples payment methods, such as their credit card not accepting the charge, etc. People have a few days to fix these issues so their payment can get processed.

2. People scamming the system. When the time to pay comes they drop out to avoid paying for the content they've been receiving for the past month. In past months it has seemed like that's at least about 1000 dollars, as the tally starts rising again after the previous months payment period is over.

So far there seems to be no fix for scammers in place from Patreon's side, but hopefully they will find some way to block repeated offenders in the future so you get locked out of even being able to join with your card/paypal.

Or dropping your pledge down after the payment goes through because it was temporary bumped up. That's totally a thing too so they will get the money in that case.

Kasper

Or dropping your pledge down after the payment goes through because it was temporary bumped up. That's totally a thing too so they will get the money in that case.

That, too, but with almost 300 people dropping out of the Patreon altogether on the first of the month I doubt that's a very high percentage. But naturally that would also make the amount drop, with this temporary E3 goal in mind that's perhaps another 1000 dollars, I guess.

I think they are still going to do whatever it was they had planned. I didn't really like using E3 as a means to raise money, would have preferred Trailer Jones at 40k, but mostly because I felt like they were close enough prior to announcing that goal to 40k that they would do it whether they got it or not.

Plus E3 is the biggest gaming event of the year still, despite the narrative it is dying off. This is a huge chance to sell EZA to an audience that may not know who they are. So again I think they were always going to do what they wanted, because it would be foolish not to. I refuse to believe they were going to cover E3 with a webcam if they didn't hit 40k.

It should just be, you only appear as at that tier after you've paid. And you'll stay on that tier until the start of next month, even if you choose to drop down during. Not sure why this isn't the way.

Hasney

At the end of the group stream, Brandon did say that there will be a video later this week to lay out all the E3 plans too as well as a midweek Cup of Jones, so should all be clarified relatively soon anyway.

At the end of the group stream, Brandon did say that there will be a video later this week to lay out all the E3 plans too as well as a midweek Cup of Jones, so should all be clarified relatively soon anyway.

Should be an interesting one. Do we have a specific day?

Tankard

3k drop again, very sad but expected. I'm assuming they knew hitting 40k was symbolic because there was no chance to go a lot beyond that in such little time.

3k drop again, very sad but expected. I'm assuming they knew hitting 40k was symbolic because there was no chance to go a lot beyond that in such little time.

They're absolutely within their rights to 'cancel' E3 of Dreams, I think. Still believe they should have pushed it at least a little bit though.

luchadork

Does anyone think they should swap the $20 reward and the $10 reward?

I dont think the $10 tier is strong enough to justify moving up from the $5 tier. But the $20 tier has a great reward but is a lot of commitment for some people. I reckon youd get more money by dangling that carrot closer to the 2000 $5 patrons.

jbluzb

Sad that 40k patreon goal was not hit :(

My payment went smoothly but it was not enough. Hopefully we will still get the E3 of dreams.

That's sort of the point, they didn't.

People had payments declined, pledged more than they could afford, decided against it last second, or just never intended to donate in the first place.

I think in the end they still got a grand or two more than they would have otherwise so I think they will still follow through with what they had planned. Again biggest show of the year, no way they do it with that webcam.

Also I hope they put their coverage on the main YT channel rather than archiving it on the EZA Plays channel.

Hasney

Generally speaking, it's a net positive result. Like I said, some of it is people dropping out after payment is taken, like I've dropped $100 today but I already paid my total amount, but they increased 14% month on month and then dropped only $2.2k, which is only about $400 more than the drop of last month.The things we don't know are:

1) How many of those payments are bounced and accidentally so. They recovered $1.1k in the 5 day grace period so some of those would be instantly re-captured

2) How many people were like me and dropped the pledge back to their normal level after payment was confirmed to go through.

3) They knew that $40k in that time period was a stretch generally and Brandon already said that the profits would be put towards E3 equipment regardless of the goal or not with a camera being the priority. They'd also know about the drop at the end of the month and this isn't a massively sizable one, so just how much shrinkage they built in to that.

Hopefully the videos come out soon and it's all explained about what they're doing with the bump they got.

Joqu

I think in the end they still got a grand or two more than they would have otherwise so I think they will still follow through with what they had planned. Again biggest show of the year, no way they do it with that webcam.

Also I hope they put their coverage on the main YT channel rather than archiving it on the EZA Plays channel.

I think I remember Jones saying they had some E3 upgrade plans either way, with E3 of Dreams just being fancier. Or maybe he didn't, my memory isn't the best. ^^'

edit: Yeah, what Hasney said basically.

I feel so bad now. I had to drop my pledge due to some financial changes going on this week, but it was still over $40K when I did it last night. I already planned on pledging again later this week, but damn. Hopefully I can do it today.

Especially for the $40K goal. That was for E3 equipment, which they probably don't need to worry about recurring fees, as they would with a studio (I assume they'd be renting it). Also, the equipment can be used for a lot of other events as well.

There's not a "standard 35k" first month was 34, second was 36. Declines are just now going through. Currently drop is about 200 patrons / $2400 which makes an avg of $12 per patron, which doesn't seem that unusual. People are just now being notified of issues. We'll see what final tally is around the end of the 5 days. In any case, there's no call to worry, but I'll let Brandon know he may want to address on Cup of Jones if he hasn't shot it already.

According to their site, creators can choose to charge upfront to prevent scamming but based on what it says, it sounds like you'll be charged the full amount for only a partial months access. So if you became a $5 patron on the 30th, you'd be charged $5 immediately and then once the 1st rolls around two days later, you'd be charged $5 again when they do the bulk payments. Not really ideal.

Personally, I don't really think the bulk payments system makes a whole lot of sense, they should just charge patrons based on when they became a patron. So if I became a patron on the 5th, I get charged immediately and on every subsequent 5th.

Personally, I don't really think the bulk payments system makes a whole lot of sense, they should just charge patrons based on when they became a patron. So if I became a patron on the 5th, I get charged immediately and on every subsequent 5th.

I imagine that would make managing finances more difficult for the patreon owners(?), if they are constantly managing irregular payments that can fluctuate at anytime. Rather than just one monthly payment that can fluctuate.

crimilde

Banned
Brandon Jones ‏@TrailerJones 2m2 minutes ago
The Patreon tides always rise and fall at the end of the month. Our E3 of Dreams is happening no matter what. It was a goal and we hit it.

Good news from Brandon.

wiibomb

Brandon Jones ‏@TrailerJones 2m2 minutes ago
The Patreon tides always rise and fall at the end of the month. Our E3 of Dreams is happening no matter what. It was a goal and we hit it.

Good news from Brandon.

I love EZA. these things.. their commitment to all this is amazing...

I just worried they have too take money out of their own pockets to make the dream come true, which would be very sad

Hasney

I love EZA. these things.. their commitment to all this is amazing...

I just worried they have too take money out of their own pockets to make the dream come true, which would be very sad

Nah, like Brandon said, they always rise and fall at the end of the month so they did account for it. Even after the drop, it's a healthy total monthly payment.

Now let's all celebrate with some Tabletop.

https://youtu.be/NfhuZ08KVJg

Hasney

Ben "Hello Darkness my old friend" face.

Then the look when he goes back to the cathedral.

vJOfJPJ.gif

Just trying to keep up with Huber.

SOMETHING has happened to the grain.

wiibomb

Ben's dying-inside face is priceless. Law is single-handedly destroying Ben's plan lol
who's sissy??

oh, sissy is my favorite cat in all world!

aaaaaaaaahh..... *goes silent*

this is all stupidly fun and perfect

crimilde

Banned
Law logic: "We need an eyepatch for Kuou that makes him look normal so he doesn't scare off the townspeople. How about a big spike so he can headbutt people with his eye?"

Lmao. I can't even. Bless his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom