• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kneefoil

Pelé was one of the more interesting things at EA's conference last year. I mean, it was weird because he wasn't even really promoting the game; he was there just to talk about his experiences and football, but that was more interesting than watching a sports game that looks exactly the same to me as the previous one.

Hasney

Cup of Jones is up!

tumblr_n5p8sxi7MB1s8lz1lo1_250.gif

Agreed. She's a nightmare of a person.

I am probably skipping Ubisoft's press conference because experiencing 95% of their games is like watching paint dry, but at least watching paint dry means you have done something valuable like painting your walls plus I am not exactly enamoured by Aisha Taylor. I look for tumbleweed when the 'jokes' are made; the whole thing just isn't to my taste.

The Euros are on from this Friday so I am not wasting my time skipping whatever match it is next Monday for their conference.

And before it is said this does not mean I think EA's tactic of 20 minutes with a former footballer is a good idea either. That was bloody awful.

I don't think I care for any of the conferences in all honesty; I prefer the on-the-show-floor stuff from Gamespot etc.

I care when a game with 3 in the title gets announced:
Portal

Edit:

Aisha Tyler is awesome. I suppose you'd all rather see bashful developers and execs nervously mumbling their way through their scripted lines? Sad to see all this hate towards her. :(

I remember the poor bloke that was involved in Unravel. I felt so sorry for him; he was a nervous wreck. It seems like he was the one made to go over the trench to talk about the game but clearly was not comfortable.

I would rather hear from the developers who are capable of half-decent public speaking speaking off-the-cuff without scripts but that is not the world we live in and that is why I don't care for the conferences. It is all reheared, staged nonsense with too much non-gameplay footage.

Philippo

I won't watch the conferences live with EZA because i like to be focused on the actual stream, plus i'll be on skype with friends so it would be overload. Obviously the first thing i'll catch up with the day after!

Hasney

That sex question was so weird. Brandons response was hilarious "Yeah, we can talk about sex. We're not going to have a show about it... What do you want to know?"

EDIT: So Brandon now has the community video to go up, then E3 announcement trailer and Brandon plays Pokemon. Madness.

Kneefoil

I remember the poor bloke that was involved in Unravel. I felt so sorry for him; he was a nervous wreck. It seems like he was the one made to go over the trench to talk about the game but clearly was not comfortable.

Yeah, the Unravel guy was very nervous, and I did feel sorry for him but I also kind of feel like the nervousness worked to his advantage. It was a reminder that there are actual people behind these games with ambitions and dreams, and I think that generated more interest in his game. Much better than having to listen to a business man in a suit reading a well memorized script.

Also, the Pelé interview lasted for just over 5 minutes, not 20.

Yeah, the Unravel guy was very nervous, and I did feel sorry for him but I also kind of feel like the nervousness worked to his advantage. It was a reminder that there are actual people behind these games with ambitions and dreams, and I think that generated more interest in his game. Much better than having to listen to a business man in a suit reading a well memorized script.

Also, the Pelé interview lasted for just over 5 minutes, not 20.

It is nice to see the real people behind things but I can't think it did his health much good. I have never seen someone so nervous.

Pele: It felt like 20 mins.

Hasney

So the main takeaway for non patrons from that Cup of Jones is that Brandon realises he's pushing himself to the limit on editing and it may change how they do shows in the future and some shows are going to be filmed at E3. A live calendar schedule is going to be on the website so things like a late Cup of Jones should be communicated that way.

Sorry if it is posted anywhere, but will Frame Trap be up today?

Should be. I don't believe that's in Brandons queue so I don't think it'll be delayed.

So the main takeaway for non patrons from that Cup of Jones is that Brandon realises he's pushing himself to the limit on editing and it may change how they do shows in the future and some shows are going to be filmed at E3. A live calendar schedule is going to be on the website so things like a late Cup of Jones should be communicated that way.

And no more Brandon plays after Pokémon :(

llehuty

I wish they could hire an intern or something to edit the videos, so the allies can focus on creating content (and rest a bit).

Hasney

I wish they could hire an intern or something to edit the videos, so the allies can focus on creating content (and rest a bit).

That was actually brought up in Cup of Jones. That and freelancers and the like needs to be explored down the line since they're still working out the full model with the staff they have apparently. I guess that stuff is easier to work out what's you're in a fully settled routine with less one off costs like equipment and websites and the like.

NuttSack

I see Mr. B is creeping on Jones as E3 approaches.
Seems like quite some people want more reviews while I personally prefer conversations. Seeing how Brandon is talking about him pushing himself to the limit, recording a conversation, for example on Homefront (which he wanted to do a review) might be "easier" than doing a review as it entails capturing the footage, writing a script, doing the VO, editing the video, etc.

On another note, I wouldn't mind if some shows like Brandon Plays Pokemon or Cup of Jones become fortnightly.

Hasney

Seems like quite some people want more reviews while I personally prefer conversations. Seeing how Brandon is talking about him pushing himself to the limit, recording a conversation, for example on Homefront (which he wanted to do a review) might be "easier" than doing a review as it entails capturing the footage, writing a script, doing the VO, editing the video, etc.

On another note, I wouldn't mind if some shows like Brandon Plays Pokemon or Cup of Jones become fortnightly.

Yeah, same here. Their review output has been fine, I'd much rather have this to add on top of it.

Portugeezer

That sex question was so weird. Brandons response was hilarious "Yeah, we can talk about sex. We're not going to have a show about it... What do you want to know?"

Poor Bosman
/s

I agree, I would also enjoy the conversational style in this case, no pressure to complete game in X amount of time and have footage for what you talk about, just talk about it.

DKHF

Thoughts on the new Cup of Jones:

Good episode. Yeah it would be really good to finally see Amy Hennig's Star Wars game and know when it's set but sadly I'm not sure it will be shown this E3 since it was recently confirmed to not be coming until 2018. Though there's a possibility it shows up with a teaser trailer. Looking forward to the E3 plans video (though I already know the basics of what they're doing for E3 from when they've explained it before).

Vinc

I don't know what you guys are on about, Aisha Tyler is great!

Also this Cup of Jones episode was worth the wait

Myggen

Everyone has go to words like that, you're just noticing it because you're listening to people talk for hours.

Yup, it`s the passive listening to people talk that make you notice it. If you`re actually in a conversation with someone you`re much less likely to notice words like that.

TheCalGee

Great Cup of Jones to listen to alongside my own cup of coffee.

I really like the idea of this Live Calendar. I don't mind at all when a show is late, they're all working hard. It's just much easier than cycling through Twitter/Patreon/this thread to see if there have been any updates on the status of a show.

Reminds me a bit of Team Fourstar's percentage complete thing they do for each episode of DBZA. Made it way easier to check on the status of things.

sora87

I've decided to put on the full day streams from last years E3 in the background this week as we get closer to sunday. It's so funny looking back on it now, Huber joking around about Shenmue 3 all day, their pre-show about Sony and just concluding that it's a bit of a wild card and they're not sure what to expect. All their predictions for the Nintendo Digital Event and then.... yeah, getting the garbage we got. Also totally forgot about Huber, I remembered he shed some tears after the Shenmue 3 thing but he carried on openly weeping for basically the entire conference. Oh man.

Also bonus picture of these cool people

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I've decided to put on the full day streams from last years E3 in the background this week as we get closer to sunday. It's so funny looking back on it now, Huber joking around about Shenmue 3 all day, their pre-show about Sony and just concluding that it's a bit of a wild card and they're not sure what to expect. All their predictions for the Nintendo Digital Event and then.... yeah, getting the garbage we got. Also totally forgot about Huber, I remembered he shed some tears after the Shenmue 3 thing but he carried on openly weeping for basically the entire conference. Oh man.

Mind sharing where those are watchable?

Also rediscovered this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEm4LaeqxFo
Totally forgot about "Not Funny" those were great xD!

Tankard

I totally agree with Brandon on the sleep thing, i think sleeping is so useless and i so could fill up my 24 hours with things to do.

Hasney

I do pray Brandon will not get burned out with all the simultaneous EZA projects.

He sounds like he's hit that wall where he's needed to re-assess, which is why he mentioned that after E3, there might be some changes to how the shows are done. I think when you're really committed to work or something, you just have to run headfirst into that wall where you wake up after falling asleep at your computer or whatever and then just say "Yeah, I need to sort this out".

Slevin

I'm so pumped for Final Bets. I wonder if they'll film it tomorrow before the group stream so they can utilize all the Allies and we'll see the show maybe Wednesday or Thursday depending on how editing goes.

I bet that Final Bets goes up closer to the end of the week. There's still news coming out about stuff and as I remember it they wanted to push it off long enough that no bets would be decided before E3 even begins. Super pumped for final bets coming in the next week, though. Does anyone know if the Slusser (sp?) Cup was taken from the Defy offices?

sora87

I'm so pumped for Final Bets. I wonder if they'll film it tomorrow before the group stream so they can utilize all the Allies and we'll see the show maybe Wednesday or Thursday depending on how editing goes.

Think they're filming it before/during the group stream, just taking out people 1 by 1 to do their bits

Hasney

I bet that Final Bets goes up closer to the end of the week. There's still news coming out about stuff and as I remember it they wanted to push it off long enough that no bets would be decided before E3 even begins. Super pumped for final bets coming in the next week, though. Does anyone know if the Slusser (sp?) Cup was taken from the Defy offices?

It is Tuesday they're filming it, confirmed by Kyle. I have no idea about the Slusser cup, but I doubt it. New bets, new company, new cup!

I'm really confused by the way they're talking about E3. It sounds like most of them will be on the floor all through the week and there won't be live streams?

Have I completely misunderstood that?

So for conference days, they're streaming from one hour before the first conference all the way up until at least an hour after the last one. For days where the showfloor is open, they'll be streaming from 8pm PT to come back and deliver what they saw at the show.

wiibomb

I'm actually worried for Jones.. from all the Allies he seems to be the one who's struggling the most to get out the content.

I wouldn't be mad if he delays some videos, the amount of content they are putting now is already outstanding and they have only been around 2 months.

or may be he should be getting 1 full time editor like Ian or Jon (or any other) to help him out, he is burning out and that worries me

Thats what I did last year.

Was only really a fan of Bosman and Huber before last year's E3.
After E3 I became a fan of everyone.

So many great moments.. hype ones like Huber's tears, fun ones like Bosman finally getting the "fractured, but whole" joke, and heated ones like Brandon V Ben: No Man's discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom