• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

so1337

Welp that fatburger commercial.
Destiny does so much of a better job of delivering its story than Overwatch. Overwatch doesn't even have a story as far as I am concerned
You're the first person I've ever seen praise the way Destiny's story is told. Even maniacs people who like Destiny usually shit on it's reliance on an external website to deliver lore.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Overwatch review done! Go Brandon you're close to the finish line! You can do it. Only Cup of Jones left and you survived the week!
And then... E3....next week.... whelp x_X
------------------------------------------------------------
I feel like games like Overwatch kind of deserve a "reflections" kind of video.
Always feels really hard to nail down with these kind of games how they develop over time in a single review.
Game looks really fun but personally I want to be sure about the long term perspective on the game before buying into it and right now you can't really get that because it's still too shiny.

That's what D3 taught me. That game in release form was just broken once you reached the highest difficulty. You would abuse glitch farm methods just to get a blue of max level quality or try to trade towards good items through the auction house..... and not a single review I read went into that problem. Loot in a loot game not working right just doesn't feel like a thing that you can write off with "but the first 40 hours towards inferno were super fun". And I mean I tried to tell myself that's how it supposed to be but no. So with that in mind it's hard to trust any review fully for these type of games given that the experience they reflect can end up being a very small part of your whole experience with it.

I generally tend to have problems with Blizzard games once you get in depth/long term with them and their approach to fixing stuff doesn't feel good. I still remember months of Broodlord + Infestor matches and then Swarmhost..... urgh.

Hasney

Overwatch review done! Go Brandon you're close to the finish line! You can do it. Only Cup of Jones left and you survived the week!
And then... E3....next week.... whelp x_X

And Brandon V Pokemon... And the E3 plans video... D:

Brandons probably feeling thankful that No Mans Sky was pushed back. Get a small review break after E3.

J-Skee

I never even heard of it until Ian started spreading the word.

It's just like In-N-Out. I've contemplated going to California many times just to eat at In-N-Out.

Also, anyone else think Huber is gonna go big on Resident Evil 7 this year during Final Bets like he did with Shenmue 3 last year?

Hasney

It's just like In-N-Out. I've contemplated going to California many times just to eat at In-N-Out.

Also, anyone else think Huber is gonna go big on Resident Evil 7 this year during Final Bets like he did with Shenmue 3 last year?

Oh yeah, totally. Not sure what Kyles new bet is going to be though. NX stuff is nixed sooo, damn, no idea.

jbluzb

Great first review from Brad. Regarding Ubisoft discussion, I love the rayman games they produce. Hopefully they continue doing it.

Assasin's Creed was something I look forward every year then eventually I grew tired of it.

DKHF

Ubisoft's is my least hyped E3 conference. I was a big Assassin's Creed fan from when AC1 came out until AC3 where they botched the ending of Desmond's story (which I actually really liked and was invested in from day one unlike many others) and the game in general. I didn't even watch their conference last year, the only reason I will this year is just to hear the EZA and GB guys' commentary over it.

Yeah, Ubisoft is probably the press conference I'm most likely to skip. I don't think they actually have anything I care about and the only game I've bought from them in the last few years is Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Ubisoft usually has something exciting to show, EA has embarrassed themselves for the last few years in a row and i think it contributed to their decision to leave E3.

They Konami'd themselves.

Hasney

Honestly, the actual conference Ubi puts on is mostly entertaining even if I don't like most of the games. Aisha is a great presenter and that aspect of it is sooooo much better than story time with Pele at EA.

PC Games show being shorter and not at a stupid time should help it a little bit.

Ubisoft usually has something exciting to show, EA has embarrassed themselves for the last few years in a row and i think it contributed to their decision to leave E3.

They Konami'd themselves.

I wouldn't say embarassed themselves, they showed some great games. Nothing has changed for them except their conference is in a different building. In terms of final products, I've certainly enjoyed what EA has been showing on hell of a lot more than Ubis.

Piichan

Banned
So I'm watching Bosman v Wozniak on YouTube right now, and Kyle is talking about "Amanda getting an icon"? Is there an EZA member I'm not aware of? Who's Amanda?

Hasney

So I'm watching Bosman v Wozniak on YouTube right now, and Kyle is talking about "Amanda getting an icon"? Is there an EZA member I'm not aware of? Who's Amanda?

Brandons wife. She usually shows up during the Red Dead streams Brandon has been doing.

Naythan

Great review of Overwatch, Brad. The score is pretty much perfect, that is exactly the score this game deserves. It's clearly better than four stars but it should be denied five. If I'm super nitpicky, the only line that bothers me is that telling the story of a game in other media is a fine approach. It just is not! It's fine if you supplement and flesh out your story and lore outside of the game but the basics always need to be in the core product. We've rightfully ridiculed Bungie for two years now for having to access most of Destiny's lore on their website with the game even pointing us there. Overwatch isn't quite that dumb and they deliver parts of their story with amazingly produced movies instead of plain text, but the basic approach is just as bad. Still a fine review though and even more so if it's indeed Brad's first one.

The way Overwatch tells a story outside the game is really good, in my opinion. To wrap it in with Destiny and acting like that way of storytelling is objectively bad is a little much, IMO.

Lexad

Welp that fatburger commercial.

You're the first person I've ever seen praise the way Destiny's story is told. Even maniacs people who like Destiny usually shit on it's reliance on an external website to deliver lore.

I said in comparison to Overwatch. I wouldn't praise Destiny's storytelling (grimoire should absolutely have been in game and some even done as cutscenes), but especially after Taken King, there are positive spots for it. I also thought Destiny did a better job than the Division, but that is just me. At least in Destiny I had some semblance of an idea of what I was doing.

That Fatburger commercial at the beginning was amazing. Also, Ben . . . are you jealous?

big fake

Hey so is Don's Discount Gaming not happening weekly? There hasn't been one now two weeks? Anyone know whats up? Is this show a Bosman at Home type schedule, basically lack thereof?

UrbanRats

Ubisofts conferences used to be the worst, but with the PC Gamer thing around it no longer seems that bad.

No way.
Ubisoft has been better than EA, consistently, for a long while.

Fuck i can't even remember an EA conference i really enjoyed.

Hey so is Don's Discount Gaming not happening weekly? There hasn't been one now two weeks? Anyone know whats up? Is this show a Bosman at Home type schedule, basically lack thereof?

It was a limited run of episodes.
I think when he'll do something new, it'll be something else.

Hasney

The season is finished, that's all that was planned. Don's not sure if there will be anymore and if there is, if it will be on EZA or his own channel.

Bulby

They said at the end of the last podcast that Don isnt sure what he is doing with the show or where to take it. Whether it will continue as an EZA show or his own thing. But if we like it, show as much support as possible.

The output has been pretty thin this week in general, was this something they talked about last week?

Hasney

They said at the end of the last podcast that Don isnt sure what he is doing with the show or where to take it. Whether it will continue as an EZA show or his own thing. But if we like it, show as much support as possible.

The output has been pretty thin this week in general, was this something they talked about last week?

Other than Cup of Jones missing Monday, there's been content every day this week including 2 reviews. Hasn't felt that light at all here.

Brandon has basically had to edit the podcast, Overwatch review, Banner Saga 2 review, do a Cup of Jones (should be later today) and Brandon plays Pokemon as well as saying he;s doing an E3 plans video. He's stacked up and is the bottleneck right now since he's the only full time editor.

Kasper

No way.

While EA has its lows it also has its highs, for me anyway. What makes Ubisoft the worst in my eyes is that it's just sort of boring from start to finish, as well as being littered with horrible, unfunny jokes.

Bulby

Other than Cup of Jones missing Monday, there's been content every day this week including 2 reviews. Hasn't felt that light at all here.

Brandon has basically had to edit the podcast, Overwatch review, Banner Saga 2 review, do a Cup of Jones (should be later today) and Brandon plays Pokemon as well as saying he;s doing an E3 plans video. He's stacked up and is the bottleneck right now.

Ok, just no Pokemon since the 22nd and no Frame Trap this week. Along with the what we learnt about Dons show. Has seemed quiet

Hasney

While EA has its lows it also has its highs, for me anyway. What makes Ubisoft the worst in my eyes is that it's just sort of boring from start to finish, as well as being littered with horrible, unfunny jokes.

Yeah, even if a game looks good I can't let myself think about it being good too during Ubi, especially if it's open world. Like there's something in the back of my mind wondering if a tower is about to be climbed to uncover map things. Even now, I'm still worried about that with Ghost Recon.

I wish EA would just say whats new about their sports games and move on though. I really like FIFA, Madden and NHL but they're grasping at straws talking about them and bringing out players. I doubt their target audience even cares.

Ok, just no Pokemon since the 22nd and no Frame Trap this week. Along with the what we learnt about Dons show. Has seemed quiet

Yeah, there's less longer form content this week which probably makes it feel lighter. Think the Frame Trap schedule has worked perfectly here because the next week off is in the middle of E3 so the one after that is the E3 HOTTAKE.

UrbanRats

Well it clearly changes depending on your tastes, but bullshit trailers aside, i think Ubi can create great looking E3 demos, and always leaves the big final surprise, which is how you should do it.
They have cringe worthy jokes, but they keep the pace up.
IIRC, they didn't even have Lasertag level shit in a couple of years now, too.. just games.

EA isn't shying away from dedicating 20 minutes to Pelè talking, or some sports guy going on and on about integration of games with the new ESPN subscription plans.
They also are no strangers to showing "footage" of games that have barely entered in the pre-production phase.

big fake

Man Don is one of my favorite Allies and I love Discount Gaming with him, I really hope he makes more of them. It's really great to hear his opinions on those old games and his humor is great.

Would be great if Don and Matt Blair were full time Allies or at least have more presence on the channel, love their thoughts.

Karu

Ubisoft delivered for years now. In terms of entertaining value they TRUMP EA easily. EA Sports alone destroys their conference beyond recognition. Also... Aisha Taylor rocks as the host. And if we talk about EA concept-conference... yeah, i would call that slightly embarrasing.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Would be great if Don and Matt Blair were full time Allies or at least have more presence on the channel, love their thoughts.

Sadly Matt Blair as of this time isn't working on any of the Allies' projects as far as I know.
Not sure what he's doing currently though. But in any case that's the reason that he doesn't really have a presence currently in the content they do.

No way.

Hasney's British, he probably found the Pele section fascinating last year. :p

Seriously though, I agree. Ubisoft's conferences are boring but EA's over the last few years have been outright embarrassing. I'll give them some credit because it must be a really hard job trying to plan out a conference that jumps between all their different markets (shooters, RPGs, racing, sports and casual/mobile games) but even if you ignore that, I feel like EA has no clue how to deliver a good conference in 2016.

They're still stuck on the "let's get famous people up on stage" shit that everyone else realised was a waste of time and money years ago. They're still stuck on putting awkward developers/PR guys up on stage and getting them to talk for 5-10 minutes.

And the one new idea they came up with recently, was the genius idea to talk about games before they're ready to actually show them. Remember that time they announced Mass Effect Andromeda with a bunch of people talking over some concept art and super early footage? Or that Criterion game they showed a tech demo of that still doesn't have a name?

EA conferences are the worst.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I still feel the PC one was the worst and I've been largely a PC gamer for more than half my life. That conference was so boring I shut it down, didn't even have it up in the background.
The other conferences at least are shorter and less egregious to sit through for that 1 announcement that might happen.

sn00zer

Ubisoft delivered for years now. In terms of entertaining value they TRUMP EA easily. EA Sports alone destroys their conference beyond recognition. Also... Aisha Taylor rocks as the host. And if we talk about EA concept-conference... yeah, i would call that slightly embarrasing.

I think Ubisoft have the best conferences. Usually have a steady stream of interesting announcements and dont hang on too long to stuff people dont care about by peppering it throughout instead of throwing it into a 10min block.

Aisha Taylor is just there to prevent you from remembering that every game is falsely represented and will suffer a significant downgrade by release.

I'll cry with her if BGE2 is shown tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom