• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls

Banned
This is absolute nonsense.

I adored Episode Duscae. When we streamed it at GT I was overwhelmingly positive about it. However, that doesn't prevent the criticisms from my 90 minute demo from being any less true. In the time I was given, I tried to explain my issues as clearly as I could. All I'm doing is reporting my opinions based on what I saw.

I said REPEATEDLY that the final game could be much better than what I witnessed. I wouldn't be surprised if I did a 180 on the game in September. But all I can do is express my experiences as they happen. Sometimes those experiences may be negative.

Example, when I played Hitman at a press event it was an absolute mess. However, I've been greatly enjoying the final versions of all three episodes and I can't wait for more. Things change.

The reason you're noticing such a huge difference in the way I talk about Persona 5 versus Final Fantasy XV is I haven't played Persona 5. At all. If I were encounter severe issues during a Persona 5 demo, I would absolutely express my concern to the best of my ability. All I've seen are trailers which I think have been excellent for reasons I've also explained.

You seem to want to believe that I'm purposefully shitting on FFXV for the sake of Persona 5. I hold Final Fantasy much closer to my heart than Persona. Final Fantasy IX is my favorite RPG, Western or Eastern. This sounds like a "console war" argument. I used to enjoy engaging with this thread because I thought it consisted of people who wanted to have reasonable conversations. Tonight has taught me that I should probably take a break.
One thing that I 100% agree with you on is how they hear about the invasion through a freaking newspaper. That's lame as hell. We went from the bros being in the city witnessing the invasion with their own eyes in Versus XIII to them hearing about it through A GOD DAMN NEWSPAPER. SO LAME. Instead they scrapped the whole invasion of Insomnia and turned it into Kingsglaive.

SPAW

Sure, but wait until after the busiest time of the gaming calendar, perhaps?

And phrase things in ways that aren't just blatant attacks on character.

Why wait? Ben can chose to respond or not?

personal criticism is never nice - and should be framed respectfully, but if the poster have found something he feels Ben has been doing consistently over time than it is a character trait and should be treated as such.

I was indifferent about Damiani, but his trollisms made the stream hilarious. Sometimes it was a bit much, but the irritation both him and Bosman shared, was great.

We should be able to criticize anyone/anything and not dismiss it as "haterism" so long as it's done with respect. I've realized that some people mean well, but convey it pretty terribly that it seems like they're being an asshole just because.

adixon

Honestly Ben has been getting ready to shit on the game at every opportunity he gets so thats no surprise. Wouldn't want it to overshadow Personna 5 for him.

This post is obviously not an attempt at discussion and is not an opinion about FFXV. It's just a lame personal attack.

Please don't defend posts like this by saying they're just dissenting opinions or conflicting viewpoints. It seems to me it just drags the whole community down. (I'm actually not 100% sure if anyone was actually saying that, it's hard to tell who is talking to who over the past page.)

Bulby

personal criticism is never nice - and should be framed respectfully, but if the poster have found something he feels Ben has been doing consistently over time than it is a character trait and should be treated as such.

Nah, fuck that right off.

Ben is talking about his opinion on 2 video games. At no point should someone have the 'right' to insult his character over that.

Jesus. Video games y'all

ps. FFVX looks jank

SPAW

Nah, fuck that right off.

Ben is talking about his opinion on 2 video games. At no point should someone have the 'right' to insult his character over that.

Jesus. Video games y'all

ps. FFVX looks jank

Respectfully commenting one a trait that has been prevalent over time is perfectly ok. Insults are not. there is a way to do the one without the other.

Everything is not white and black.

ps I agree :(

ASS

Neo Member
During the E3 Day 1 discussion Huber referred to his Heavy Rain playthrough. Was it streamed while they were at Gametrailers?

With all of this Final Fantasy beef going on around here, raise your hand if you don't have an ounce of love for the franchise. It is almost a tradition of watching people debate, but then when the game comes out everyone is usually disappointed anyway. It has been that way for some time now.

With all of this Final Fantasy beef going on around here. Raise your hand if you don't have an ounce of love for the franchise. It is almost a tradition of watching people debate, but then when the game comes out everyone is usually disappointed anyway. It has been that way for some time now.
I don't know man, it's been that way since 13 (which I don't actually mind) - but before that, FF was a pretty great series. Personally, I wasnt disappointed in any of them aside from XI (I'm not a fan of eastern MMOs).

Hasney

Nope, those demos were perfectly valid. If they slap the XV name to a demo that will be outdated to sell Type-0, that's on them. If they release a Tech Demo with the name slapped on and pre-order now all over it, it's fair to judge the game based on it.

Even if there were no demos, we've come off 3 of the worst Final Fantasy games of all time in the XIII series while Personas star has been rising. It's perfectly reasonable to be hyped on one and not the other.

Hopefully this thread hasn't stopped him from providing honest impressions or pure hype for somethong for the other days.

tok9

I don't think I'll ever understand the mentality of someone moaning about another person's opinion on a game they haven't played.

Ben.. never change, loved listening to what you (and the other allies) had to say and always will.

Nasbin

To offer some criticism: I think Ian + Damiani is a rough combination for a podcast because they both have such a definitive and narrow tastes in games that taken together they don't bring a lot to the discussion. It doesn't help when Damiani is reading Twitch chat the whole time and not paying attention to what the people next to him are saying. You could see how much Bosman had to struggle to carry the show last night.

BreakAtmo

One thing that I 100% agree with you on is how they hear about the invasion through a freaking newspaper. That's lame as hell. We went from the bros being in the city witnessing the invasion with their own eyes in Versus XIII to them hearing about it through A GOD DAMN NEWSPAPER. SO LAME. Instead they scrapped the whole invasion of Insomnia and turned it into Kingsglaive.

I actually really like this. Reinforces a sense of frustrating powerlessness. No matter how tough you are, sometimes you're just not where you were needed and you have to live with it.

Spman2099

Honestly Ben has been getting ready to shit on the game at every opportunity he gets so thats no surprise. Wouldn't want it to overshadow Personna 5 for him.

It seems like you have become so hyper sensitive about Final Fantasy XV that you have become irrational around any criticism.

El-Suave

People, it's just impressions, not even a preview! I love FF just as much as the next guy. I'll get the CE of XV, back in the day I imported Advent Children just to get a demo of XIII. I want XV to succeeed but what they showed at the MS conference can't exactly boost anybody's confidence - at least for that encounter. You can always debate the use of the words "trash" or "garbage" for something many passionate people worked on hard, but most of us laughed when they shredded Battleborn. The eventual review was more balanced and fair while still being critical. Try not to be offended and take the jabs with some humor.

Edit: On a more positive note - will we get some Game of the Show debate on the final day of E3 coverage? That could be fun. Next year EZA needs some of those stickers they can attach to the winners' booths.

Dark_castle

With all of this Final Fantasy beef going on around here, raise your hand if you don't have an ounce of love for the franchise. It is almost a tradition of watching people debate, but then when the game comes out everyone is usually disappointed anyway. It has been that way for some time now.

That's a sentiment that goes around in the gaming community these days. Final Fantasy, outside of few oddities here and there like MMO FF and some mobile games like Record Keeper which are apparently pretty good (my brother is addicted to it) and Brave Exvius, major releases have been divisive since FFX, which came out more than a decade ago. It's to the point where the company acknowledges that the series has been a rut and they hoped FFXV is the one game that brings back all the love and excitement for the franchise.

Unfortunately, that may not just happen. Maybe FFXVI if it's directed by Hiroyuki Ito, or FFVII remake if Nomura didn't fuck up the story/characters.

Edit: On a more positive note - will we get some Game of the Show debate on the final day of E3 coverage? That could be fun. Next year EZA needs some of those stickers they can attach to the winners' booths.
I will note that Zelda is kind of a shoe in for the EZcrew (from the last Q&A, Zelda is the favourite franchise of the majority of the crew).

I'd love to see what comes second though - today's top 5 reveals was hilarious.

El-Suave

To offer some criticism: I think Ian + Damiani is a rough combination for a podcast because they both have such a definitive and narrow tastes in games that taken together they don't bring a lot to the discussion. It doesn't help when Damiani is reading Twitch chat the whole time and not paying attention to what the people next to him are saying. You could see how much Bosman had to struggle to carry the show last night.

Next time I'd record the podcast on another day or skip it for E3 week. Recording it as the first thing after they've returned from the first day of the show isn't ideal because they're almost too excited and they're talking about some games of E3 while others are off limits. Also the rules Kyle normally imposes and the preparation he invests are good for the show and that's much harder to do after just having returned. Personally, I never liked the "crazy" E3 live episodes some pocasts recorde poolside or at some parties at E3, sometimes with some guests being drunk, because in my opinion it shows lack of respect for the listener. EZA was far removed from those disasters but a little discipline works well for this particular show.

FFXV hasn't demo'd well several times, including on stage at this E3. Not sure why Ben is being dragged over the coals for his reactions. Which is funny because just before that people were criticizing him of being too positive on things. We all want FFXV to be amazing, but the current state of the game gives pause for concern. This is not a game a year away, it comes out in 3 months and it should show a lot better at this moment.

In contrast Persona 5 hasn't had a single bad showing.

sora87

Welp, this thread sure went some places over night...

For what it's worth I totally trust Ben when it comes to FF15, I share a very similar taste when it comes to JRPGs and tbh the game hasn't looked so hot lately.

trugs26

Loved the hype and discussion on Zelda. I hope you guys discuss Zelda again, even if it's retreading stuff. I love hearing about it. Maybe rotate some of the panel to get thoughts from others on Zelda (e.g Moore and Jones).

Hasney

I honestly think someone just doesn't want something overshadowing FFXV the way that it reads.

Anyway, I skipped the Zelda talk. I saw the first hour of the Nintendo stream and thought THAT'S ENOUGH, I'm in. Next time I will watch footage/absorb impressions will be the NX announcement.

Welp, this thread sure went some places over night...

For what it's worth I totally trust Ben when it comes to FF15, I share a very similar taste when it comes to JRPGs and tbh the game hasn't looked so hot lately.

I love FF and haven't preordered 15 yet. In fact I am likely waiting on a sale at Christmas, because I think it will get several patches post release. Showcasing he Titan battle seems like a big mistake. Probably would have been better to give people a chocobo and turned them loose on an open world. Hope I am wrong and it is stellar and has no issues start to finish, but you'd be a fool not to have some concern about the game's current state.

Panda Rin

I was indifferent about Damiani, but his trollisms made the stream hilarious. Sometimes it was a bit much, but the irritation both him and Bosman shared, was great.

We should be able to criticize anyone/anything and not dismiss it as "haterism" so long as it's done with respect. I've realized that some people mean well, but convey it pretty terribly that it seems like they're being an asshole just because.

I just wish he was more involved with other titles. He only seemed to care about Zelda. He was sooo critical of every title brought up during the podcast but seemed one-sided when talking about Zelda. He needs to be a more active participant in other discussions. His trolling misfires most of the time and doesn't add anything.

I don't mind Ben gushing over P5 at all because he provides insight on so many other titles.

Also going to echo with the sentiments of others. FFXV looks rough and hasnt shown itself well. It doesn't seem to have an identity.

Ridiculous that you guys are trying to pressure Ben, someone who has showed his critical integrity relentlessly for years, into being softer on a game that you
want to
like based on a demo that he has played and you haven't.

You don't have to agree but you do have to accept that these are his views and they sound perfectly reasonable to me.

Damiani is a world class troll, which is fine because the entire planet will be trolling him with their Zelda impressions when that underwhelmaton is actually released.

removed my post

SPAW

Fuck off. Dude is talking about his opinion on a videogame. Shove that personal attack where the sun doesn't shine. Talking as though it's someone with a trait who should be treated in a way is just pure bollocks. You need to stop acting like the fucking internet police.

What is this? If you have taken that much offense i am sorry. I was simply trying to point ou that we can discuss these matters without calling each other hatets or lovers of EA, and that ben is perfectly able to defend his position.

sora87

E3 would honestly be nothing to me without these guys.

159.gif

I love FF and haven't preordered 15 yet. In fact I am likely waiting on a sale at Christmas, because I think it will get several patches post release. Showcasing he Titan battle seems like a big mistake. Probably would have been better to give people a chocobo and turned them loose on an open world. Hope I am wrong and it is stellar and has no issues start to finish, but you'd be a fool not to have some concern about the game's current state.

Yeah, admittedly I pre-ordered the special edition like a chump after all the hype (and for the excellent Amano art) but I'm keeping my expectations firmly in check.

159.gif

Yeah, admittedly I pre-ordered the special edition like a chump after all the hype (and for the excellent Amano art) but I'm keeping my expectations firmly in check.

Should be noted both Ben and Michael preordered the super deluxe edition FF15 as well. These guys want it to be great.

Rongolian

Banned
Guessing a game's score before it comes out is a stupid thing to do and I am very guilty of that. No argument there.

I was down on Platinum demo because I didn't enjoy it. But I also admitted very clearly tonight that I haven't fully explored the combat based on what I've seen from other players. There's more for me to explore and I need to make the time to do that.

We brought up a ton of details from the Game Informer cover on Frame Trap. I name drop Game Informer multiple times during the episode. (Not the Persona 5 episode, but the first episode of Frame Trap).

As far as "questionable points", I'm not sure how to respond since you didn't actually bring any of those up.

Ben, don't feed the trolls!

These are video games, people, we play them because we want to have fun. We get hyped about games because we anticipate having fun with them. Let's keep it easy to be an ally.

I've been watching the patron numbers this week to see how it'll do in their first E3 and there's been a healthy growth. Not only did they hit their peak before E3 at 5000 patrons, in the last couple days it's up to 5050. Now if they could just get that empty $500 patron spot filled.

Also last night on twitch they were the top viewed stream under the E3 2016 category. So I was seeing a number of people popping in and asking "who's easy allies?" And finding out about them. Which is cool. Imagine popping in for the first time and then seeing Huber telling a tale. Haha

I gotta go rewatch that Yakuza story. It was so good

Karu

Ben, don't feed the trolls!

These are video games, people, we play them because we want to have fun. We get hyped about games because we anticipate having fun with them. Let's keep it easy to be an ally.
You should look up the definition of a troll. By all accounts that person's argument might be trash, I dont know I dont care. But of all things what YOU are doing is here is making it more difficult being an ally than anything else. (And I kinda hate to say this because these types of talking about ourselves instead of talking about games is stupid, but ugh..)

I loved Ben and Huber's day one show floor experiences. Damiani's negativity towards nearly every game discussion, and then his sudden giddiness for zelda was a little bit off-putting. I think the panel selection is really key with how people receive these shows, the EZA personalities are all so different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom