• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo considering how much they love Vandenberghe and his game, it would be fantastic for them to have him on as a guest. Hope they see that and make it happen.

Kasper

How so? When you have a guest on you accommodate the format if needed if that makes the guest more comfortable/or to help bring forth something special.
A guest wouldn't be that different than Ben being smart about it bringing us what makes Frame Trap, Frame Trap and still giving everyone a stage to talk more about E3 because the occasion demanded it. (The idea is as a host you do your best to make whatever is pertinent be it people/event/etc shine.)
That's my point really.

Because right now it just seems like you're arguing that any change would ruin it for you, at least that's what I got out of it.

Just seems a bit sad to me to outright be against having guests as if a guest would inherently ruin EZA chemistry or would make normal EZA only podcast disappear, especially when those things just aren't true.(I mean I already explained a few possible ways to work around it.)

Jason seems to be a good sport in general, but really even if not I firmly believe that depending on how comfortable the host is with the unexpected they would have big influence on any awkwardness(even in cases where its unavoidable a host can just own it and suddenly it's part of the comedy). I think Jeff Gerstman for example is very good about that, making people feel comfortable etc. Even if things get really hard(there was one with the devs of Overland) he's pretty good about it. If we go outside of gaming(although I think esports also has great examples like Redeye) there are probably even more good examples of this.

Edit: Also I feel like when people read adjustments they think some weird big change. It really is just to have the awareness that any given guest might not be comfortable with all the quirky bits on x podcast or that sometimes it's a waste to have all the normal segments instead of making a 100% out of the opportunity a guest brings. To be honest if I think about the current EZA podcast there aren't even things that come to my mind that would make it hard for a guest.
The word of the week thing is simple enough, beyond that nothing really since we don't have the beasty boys anymore.

I don't understand why you're suddenly starting to attack me and trying to belittle me in your reply. Why am I a sad individual simply because I am not the biggest fan of having guests on?

A guest could very well be great, but personally I would just prefer not to have guests on as that would make it near certain that the podcast would be great, while having a guest on would be a gamble. It's not that I have some irrational fear of change of any kind as you're trying to make it out to be. But my bad for thinking we were having a friendly discussion rather than a mud throwing match.

I understood your point perfectly fine and I see your point of view, and ideally every guest would be great, but judging from GT Time it wasn't a very big success to have guests on, at least not in my opinion, so I would prefer to lose a good guest here or there to save me from having as many guests that don't fit in at all. I'm sorry if my point isn't coming across clearly enough as I'm not trying to be antagonizing or taking a hard stance against guests, I was just merely expressing my concerns as well as I could. Vandenberghe is someone I actually think would be a fantastic guest, but I would definitely prefer it to be a separate episode from the regular "news of the week" show.

Visceir

Uh if Jason wants to be a guest, they should do whatever they can to make it happen.

Regardless of occasional awkwardness, guests are important and great for cross-promotions.

Pretty much. Dunno why wouldn't want to have more friends of allies and interesting people on for podcasts or whatever.

Even that German Efficiency guy made streams more fun.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why you're suddenly starting to attack me and trying to belittle me in your reply. Why am I a sad individual simply because I am not the biggest fan of having guests on?

A guest could very well be great, but personally I would just prefer not to have guests on as that would make it near certain that the podcast would be great, while having a guest on would be a gamble. It's not that I have some irrational fear of change of any kind as you're trying to make it out to be. But my bad for thinking we were having a friendly discussion rather than a mud throwing match.

I understood your point perfectly fine and I see your point of view, and ideally every guest would be great, but judging from GT Time it wasn't a very big success to have guests on, at least not in my opinion, so I would prefer to lose a good guest here or there to save me from having as many guests that don't fit in at all. I'm sorry if my point isn't coming across clearly enough as I'm not trying to be antagonizing or taking a hard stance against guests, I was just merely expressing my concerns as well as I could. Vandenberghe is someone I actually think would be a fantastic guest, but I would definitely prefer it to be a separate episode from the regular "news of the week" show.

Absolutely not what I meant? Definitely not attacking you but sorry if it came off that way.

What I meant was that the reason why it makes me sad because I just have this feeling sometimes when I read this thread/or other things related to EZA if feels like that there is a fan sentiment that is so concerned with this weird idea of EZA purity. From things like I hope EZA never does anything with Giantbomb to get rid of Damiani in podcast cause he is not "jolly" enough, to an anti guest stance that in my opinion is unwarranted.*

I just wish that people were more open on that stuff and would be less reductive on their idea what EZA is?
Like what I love about EZA is the genuine passion and that encompasses their excitement, their disagreements, their worries and all the other aspects. And part of the fun of being part of it is seeing how it all will evolve.
But more often than not I feel like there is a set of people that would just love for EZA to be just the hype/jolly people. (not sure if I'm expressing what I mean well enough).

*Dunno I might just have entered this discussion overly influenced by having those things enter my head in culmination so things might have come off to me as worse than they are so in that case also sorry.

Absolutely not what I meant? Definitely not attacking you but sorry if it came off that way.

What I meant was that the reason why it makes me sad because I just have this feeling sometimes when I read this thread/or other things related to EZA if feels like that there is a fan sentiment that is so concerned with this weird idea of EZA purity. From things like I hope EZA never does anything with Giantbomb to get rid of Damiani in podcast cause he is not "jolly" enough, to an anti guest stance that in my opinion is unwarranted.

I just wish that people were more open on that stuff and would be less reductive on their idea what EZA is?
Like what I love about EZA is the genuine passion and that encompasses their excitement, their disagreements and all the other aspects. But more often than not I feel like there is a set of people that would just love for EZA to be just the hype people. (not sure if I'm expressing what I mean well enough).
100% agreed

I'm all for guest people but I don't think you'll see anything until a studio exists. And for me I'd rather they to be like a GT live kind of deal with the guests. And of the podcasts I'd say Frane trap and its looser format could work Better.

Kasper

What I meant was that the reason why it makes me sad because I just have this feeling sometimes when I read this thread/or other things related to EZA if feels like that there is a fan sentiment that is so concerned with this weird idea of EZA purity. From things like I hope EZA never does anything with Giantbomb to get rid of Damiani in podcast cause he is not "jolly" enough, to an anti guest stance that in my opinion is unwarranted.

Like what I love about EZA is the genuine passion and that encompasses their excitement, their disagreements and all the other aspects. But more often than not I feel like there is a set of people that would just love for EZA to be just the hype people. (not sure if I'm expressing what I mean well enough).

My bad, I guess I mistook the sad part as being directed towards my person.

I understand your point a lot better now, and I think we were at least somewhat misunderstanding each other. I am very pro-guest, pro-collaboration and all that, but I'm just a little square when it comes to staying within show formats. I really like the EZA podcast as-is and would prefer guests to be fit in through other means, whether that be through a different show, bonus episodes, live-streams or the like. That way you don't mess with what's already working while introducing something that could potentially be great.

Now, there's people within the industry that I don't much care for, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be on EZA content if the allies themselves wants them on, not everything needs to be tailored to my liking. Just in case it came off like that's what I wanted. They're free to do whatever they want.

An example of someone I love that I would want to see on EZA shows is Ryan Stevens. He's very entertaining and I loved him at GT, but even so I would much prefer him to be on anything other than the EZA podcast, as to me the format of that show is four of the core guys hanging out, discussing the news of week. People in this thread very clearly disagree with this view and that's perfectly fine, I may be in the wrong, but I think the EZA podcast works very well as-is, so why not explore having guests on in some other format that could then also potentially be great, rather than trying to change the podcast in ways large or small to try and fit a guest into the mix.

By changes around a guest I don't necessarily mean Kyle not doing his fun little improv games and the like, but more in the behavioral changes that occur when you are in an intimate setting with people you aren't 100% familiar with. if you act like you usually do there's the risk of the new person being somewhat left out, but there's also the risk of you becoming a bit too "professional" in your behavior and as such changing the vibe. That change of vibe may actually be a good thing, who knows, but the podcast works so well already that I would just prefer these experiments with guests to be in another format.

UrbanRats

What I meant was that the reason why it makes me sad because I just have this feeling sometimes when I read this thread/or other things related to EZA if feels like that there is a fan sentiment that is so concerned with this weird idea of EZA purity. From things like I hope EZA never does anything with Giantbomb to get rid of Damiani in podcast cause he is not "jolly" enough, to an anti guest stance that in my opinion is unwarranted.*

Like what I love about EZA is the genuine passion and that encompasses their excitement, their disagreements, their worries and all the other aspects. And part of the fun of being part of it is seeing how it all will evolve.
But more often than not I feel like there is a set of people that would just love for EZA to be just the hype/jolly people. (not sure if I'm expressing what I mean well enough).

*Dunno I might just have entered this discussion overly influenced by having those things enter my head in culmination so things might have come off to me as worse than they are so in that case also sorry.
Oh yeah, this is something I find worry some too, though not due to this specific debate (haven't followed it).
It's actually one of the reasons why I have problems getting into insular communities, sooner or later they all develop a cult-like vibe, which gets creepy.

Hope this doesn't happen to the EZA one.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't think I have much more to add but agreeing that yes optimally if you have guests you totally dedicate something extra to them to bring the best show out of them but if that's not possible because of resources/etc I don't think that they would automatically wreck the chemistry by being on any of the podcast.
Also always happy if talks with guests are extra content because that optimally means more EZA content :).

L&R ;)

Cassius

4z75lEv.gif

Ben... LOL

This pic pretty much sums up why I love listening to these guys talk about games.

kami_sama

"Now: Yoshida Talked to Bosman"

Edit: Laughing my ass off at the end of Frame Trap. It was sooooo good.
Also, I loved both the segments, would love to see them next E3.

UrbanRats

One of the best things about EZA's content this year was the complete lack of on stream interviews with developers. There were so many places where I saw basically the same pre-canned interview with devs. Do not get me wrong because I do think there is a need for that in the industry; however, having an interview free EZA meant it was all reaction all the time.

I disagree.
Last year i could get 100% of my E3 coverage from them (exactly because those interviews are all the same, pretty much).
This year i had to shop around a lot more.

If they get the chance next year, i hope they bring those back.
Aren't they just Penguins? Maybe you don't get Penguins either.

these?

dqjOttG.jpg

Hasney

Like, bring them back if they don't have to cut any impressions or anything like that, but I tend not to watch them. They're mostly cookie cutter questions and answers so I'd rather get them elsewhere if needed as the EZA guys don't really bring anything different to that paticular table.

Kasper

stupid question, what the are GAF user names of the EZA boys who comment in this thread?

STAFF TWITTERS & GAF ACCOUNTS

Brandon Jones - @TrailerJones GAF: GameTrailersVO
Daniel Bloodworth - @dbloodworth2 GAF: Bloodworth
Kyle Bosman - @kylebosman GAF: Bosman
Michael Huber - @MichealPHuber GAF: HuberHype
Michael Damiani - @mbdamiani GAF: HylianScribe
Ben Moore - @benmoore035 GAF: Grayfox431
Ian Hinck - @IanHinck GAF: IanHinck
Don Casanova - @thenasacova
Bradley Ellis - @bradleyellis87 GAF: bradbot

Here you go.

dex3108

Reaction videos could really help them. That is why i hope they will consider Trailer Score at 40K. More views = more users = more subscribers = more patreons. :D

UrbanRats

Like, bring them back if they don't have to cut any impressions or anything like that, but I tend not to watch them. They're mostly cookie cutter questions and answers so I'd rather get them elsewhere if needed as the EZA guys don't really bring anything different to that paticular table.

Last year we still got a good amount of impressions.

wiibomb

I saw so many times their REVII reactions that I have the theme in my head.. that is the game's original theme?
GO tell aunt RHOOOODYYY

Oh and also Death Stranding song, because I also watched their reactions so many times..

Wiggy

sony santa monica retweeted the God of War video too, so that might have helped a bit.

looks like they have started cutting out individual game impressions, Bloods working overtime.

wiibomb

sony santa monica retweeted the God of War video too, so that might have helped a bit.

looks like they have started cutting out individual game impressions, Bloods working overtime.

I just saw that they just uploaded their Zelda impressions segment from E3. That's extremely good for the channel, though it is quite some work because of how much they talked, I hope blood doesn't overwork for these (supposing it is blood)

wiibomb

Also cool to note that their youtube channel had 10k subscribers during E3 week, really good numbers.

I just saw that... that growth is really nice, I hope the numbers continue going up and may be more people will become patrons.

I have the feeling these live reactions get so much exposure for them.

I would love if they do them for other events like Gamescom conferences or the TGS... or the NX eventual reveal

demu

Before it's too late I also want to thank EZA for their fantastic E3 coverage. I still can't believe how many hours of content they produced. Couldn't watch everything, but what I saw was top-notch. And so jolly!

So glad I discovered them.

Kasper

Ben and Huber both followed me back, no one else bothered :p

Speaking of the good Benjamin Moore, I love these two tweets by him:

R7xMsr5.png

I'm so glad Ben had a great E3, you could definitely feel it. More so than any of the other allies I love Ben's hearty laughter when it pops up.

As a stiff upper lipped Brit, who is suspicious of outpourings of emotion the last few days in this thread have been freaking me out. Every time someone gets sentimental I keep thinking something horrible has happened.

Simple solution. Have Huber write all the questions.

Simple solution. Have Huber write all the questions.
Actually in the few times he was co-piloting GT live Kyle is pretty great in interviews. He asks questions, and more importantly follow up questions that most don't. Like in the Xcom 2 episode, most would ask the top level question, get the answer and then move on. But Kyle got real interested in the nuts/bolts of game making and kept diving in deeper

Hasney

Actually in the few times he was co-piloting GT live Kyle is pretty great in interviews. He asks questions, and more importantly follow up questions that most don't. Like in the Xcom 2 episode, most would ask the top level question, get the answer and then move on. But Kyle got real interested in the nuts/bolts of game making and kept diving in deeper

Oh yeah, GT Live was great for that stuff. It's just those E3 appointments are so quick that you get the basics and that's about it. Now if EZA had a late night show like Giant Bomb, that would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom