• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

Huber is straight up off the rails in that Huber Hype. So aggressive, hahaha. A man possessed.

That
Warren Spector
interaction.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What is it with Bosman and running around with his hood up randomly lol. I should do that more.

tok9

You did an awesome job Damiani. Sure things can always be improved upon but for the first EZA E3, it was excellent work by all.

luchadork

honestly, i enjoyed the e3 coverage more this year than last year. all across the board it was great. i loved it just being pretty much the allies 24/7 nonstop. so good. and damiani you crushed it man. the streams have picked up in quality noticeably. soft opens and soft crunches. the gifs. the musics. pulling up the videos and shit while they were talking. everything. tremendous job dude. and the mods in chat, fucking great work. blows my mind how well the chat was, considering how many people were in there. gj everyone.

sora87

Lol Warren Spector looked like a deer in headlights.
They should try and get Lucy James on the podcast some time, she seems like a big fan of them.

After this amazing E3 coverage ( I thought the camera and table and all that were perfect, really don't see an issue there) , I decided to pledge monthly to the Patreon :) First time I use Patreon lol. You guys deserve it. Thanks for all the amazing efforts you guys put into this ! <3

luchadork

EZA is seriously the peak of the most I've ever enjoyed video game commentary.

yuuup

After this amazing E3 coverage ( I thought the camera and table and all that were perfect, really don't see an issue there) , I decided to pledge monthly to the Patreon :) First time I use Patreon lol. You guys deserve it. Thanks for all the amazing efforts you guys put into this ! <3

fuck yeh. gj dude!

Tsosie

One of the best things about EZA's content this year was the complete lack of on stream interviews with developers. There were so many places where I saw basically the same pre-canned interview with devs. Do not get me wrong because I do think there is a need for that in the industry; however, having an interview free EZA meant it was all reaction all the time.

DKHF

Lol Warren Spector looked like a deer in headlights.
They should try and get Lucy James on the podcast some time, she seems like a big fan of them.
Wouldn't be surprised if GameSpot wouldn't allow it even if they asked her. It's a shame though since she has really good taste (KH, Persona etc) and is a good host.

One of the best things about EZA's content this year was the complete lack of on stream interviews with developers. There were so many places where I saw basically the same pre-canned interview with devs. Do not get me wrong because I do think there is a need for that in the industry; however, having an interview free EZA meant it was all reaction all the time.
I agree. It's why I loved their coverage this year so much more than last year. All of them able to be on the E3 floor, doing appointments and then coming back that night and spending 4-5 hours talking about their experiences. They got to play and talk about what interested them and not necessarily about the game dev they were able to book (which might not always be the same). And even then I'd rather hear from the crew about the game then the dev

Piichan

Banned
I know the EZAs read Gaf, so I just want to congratulate you guys on a fantastic job. The daily streams with all the E3 talk were really fun to listen to. Very happy to be a patron, and I hope the past week has raised awareness of EZA. Keep it up!

sora87

Wouldn't be surprised if GameSpot wouldn't allow it even if they asked her. It's a shame though since she has really good taste (KH, Persona etc) and is a good host.

Hmm, that'd be strange after Danny's very open support for the crew after GT closed. Plus they're always collaborating with Kinda Funny. I don't see why they'd say no.

And yeah she's a really good host, used to do a show on UK tv about games which was pretty good.

DKHF

Hmm, that'd be strange after Danny's very open support for the crew after GT closed. Plus they're always collaborating with Kinda Funny. I don't see why they'd say no.

And yeah she's a really good host, used to do a show on UK tv about games which was pretty good.
Danny has supported them heavily but he hasn't appeared on one of the EZA podcasts. And they've allowed Danny on KF podcasts because of the partnership with KF GameSpot seems to have (with KF doing trailer breakdowns and E3 stuff for them). I'm saying I don't think GS would let an employee (and Giant Bomb doesn't count because they're under the same umbrella) on another outlet's podcast without a partnership like the KF one but maybe I'm completely wrong.

Visceir

Danny has been on all kinds of podcasts as a guest, including totalbiscuit's. The main issue would probably be with the Gamespot people being located in SF and I imagine her living a a busy life in general.

sora87

Yeah, I meant like when she's in the area for something else. Was just a cool idea anyhoo, it'd be nice for them to get some guests every now and then. Create those bonds with other places.

DKHF

Danny has been on all kinds of podcasts as a guest, including totalbiscuit's. The main issue would probably be with the Gamespot people being located in SF and I imagine her living a a busy life in general.
Well then it would probably fine I guess. I've just heard of big gaming press sites not wanting employees on other outlet's podcasts so that was my assumption. Though I would say Totalbiscuit is not as similar in his style of content to EZA since it's more one person's outlet versus a group discussing games not focussed on one person which is more similar to GS' style (though still different). But regardless, like you said it doesn't really matter since it won't happen because of the location difference.

I don't know why anyone would want the conference to take up the majority of the screen. We watch for their reactions and the RE7, The Last Guardian and Shenmue reveals would not be the same. I understand if it was only one person reacting but it's 5 plus.

Also when the Allies hit the 45k goal it needs to be trailer reactions/reviews. The views are off the charts with reaction videos.

Hasney

I don't know why anyone would want the conference to take up the majority of the screen. We watch for their reactions and the RE7, The Last Guardian and Shenmue reveals would not be the same. I understand if it was only one person reacting but it's 5 plus.

Also she. The Allies hit the 45k goal it needs to be trailer reactions/reviews. The views are off the charts with reaction videos.

I was saying before the streams that I would have preferred Giant Bomb style with the conferences so we can still see them, but the conferences were the main event. But I found it easy enough to sync up their audio to my conference video for the TV... And I hadn't thought about what Blood said about how that setup needs people to sit still.

Tankard

@Brian_Feto
That song Bosman plays in BvW is really your creation? I thought it was from some old game you sent him. That's awesome, man, sick mix.

Kasper

Regarding guests on the EZA podcast I'm pretty sure Kyle has said in the past that he wants to keep it EZA only (or mostly), i.e. no outside guests. I hope he sticks with that as I hate it when there's guests on shows that aren't usually a "guest of the week" type of show, as they rarely fit in completely in terms of the dynamic and they don't know the in-jokes, how the show works, etc.

They added a third chair on Podcast Beyond in the last year or so before Greg and Colin left, and it was easily the worst year for the podcast with guests that had no idea what was going on a lot of the time and couldn't/didn't want to play along. Every once in awhile there were great guests that fit in perfectly, but most of the time it was a miss.

I also wasn't a very big fan of the few times there were outsiders on GT Time and thought the show worked much better with just the GT crew.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm against having guests on EZA stuff, I just think there should be other shows specifically for that. I imagine if they get a proper studio they'll start up something akin to GT Live again where there will be one or more guests on a weekly basis which would cover that need just fine.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno if I agree with your example. The problem there was the show didn't adjust to a guest and that they just brought someone to bring someone.
The ideal way for guests on podcasts is the host being confident enough in his skills to adjust that it isn't super fish out of water for the guest + have the guest on because they bring a specific and relevant perspective to a topic that is going to be discussed.
Especially the latter is quite important I think(in the sense that it makes it much easier) that's why in my experience devs sitting in on podcasts generally works well.

Kasper

I dunno if I agree with your example. The problem there was the show didn't adjust to a guest and that they just brought someone to bring someone.
The ideal way for guests on podcasts is the host being confident enough in his skills to adjust that it isn't super fish out of water for the guest + have the guest on because they bring a specific and relevant perspective to a topic that is going to be discussed.
Especially the latter is quite important I think(in the sense that it makes it much easier) that's why in my experience devs sitting in on podcasts generally works well.

I don't want the show to have to adjust to a guest. Again, that's not to say having guests can't work, but I'd rather have no guests than a 50/50 split on guests that do and don't fit in, because it'll be an entire podcast that's ruined with a guest that doesn't gel well. To me the negatives outweigh the positives. If the show was mediocre on its own and got elevated by having guests on I would be all for it, but I love the EZA podcast on its own so the gamble with guests aren't needed.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want the show to have to adjust to a guest. Again, that's not to say having guests can't work, but I'd rather have no guests than a 50/50 split on guests that do and don't fit in, because it'll be an entire podcast that's ruined with a guest that doesn't gel well. To me the negatives outweigh the positives. If the show was mediocre on its own and got elevated by having guests on I would be all for it, but I love the EZA podcast on its own so the gamble with guests aren't needed.

Dunno I just disagree I think. I think forgoing some of the quirky bits that are harder to explain in exchange for a guest that brings a relevant and interesting perspective is definitely worth it.

Again if a guest gels well or not is largely dependent on the host, I mean look at the first episode Damiani was on, I think he did pretty well to follow along but I definitely think if Kyle met him somewhere in the middle the episode would have profited from it and even then it wasn't that bad so nothing is ruined even if someone doesn't fit a 100% because they weren't aware about how the podcast rolls.

But also don't misunderstand me I don't want a guest every week or anything like that. Have them on if it makes sense. Like I've just seen Vandenberghe* tweet being open to being on an EZA podcast. Like how do you say no to that just based on this idea that anyone that isn't part of the crew would ruin the podcast especially when the host can do a lot to work around that.

Like Ben just did some super good changes to Frame Trap to accommodate for E3 and it was for the better. Just because we didn't get the usual stuff didn't mean it was ruined.

*https://twitter.com/the_darklorde/status/744155474187132928

Kasper

Dunno I just disagree I think. I think forgoing some of the quirky bits that are harder to explain in exchange for a guest that brings a relevant and interesting perspective is definitely worth it.

Again if a guest gels well or not is largely dependent on the host, I mean look at the first episode Damiani was on, I think he did pretty well to follow along but I definitely think if Kyle met him somewhere in the middle the episode would have profited from it and even then it wasn't that bad so nothing is ruined even if someone doesn't fit a 100%.

But also don't misunderstand me I don't want a guest every week or anything like that. Have them on if it makes sense. Like I've just seen Vandenberghe tweet being open to being on an EZA podcast. Like how do you say no to that just based on this idea that anyone that isn't part of the crew would ruin the podcast especially when the host can do a lot to work around that.

Yeah, we just come at this from different perspectives, I guess. I completely disagree with you :D

For me a happy medium would be to have bonus episodes or something of the sort whenever they have a guest that genuinely wants to be on that they also want to have on. I've always loved that with another podcast, Comedy Bang Bang, getting the regular Monday episode bu then every once in awhile getting a surprise out-of-the-blue bonus episode on Thursdays.

EDIT: Regarding Ben and Frame Trap, not wanting guests on isn't the same as not wanting any sort of changes in format. I thought the ramen segment was fun.

Uh if Jason wants to be a guest, they should do whatever they can to make it happen.

Regardless of occasional awkwardness, guests are important and great for cross-promotions.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Regarding Ben and Frame Trap, not wanting guests on isn't the same as not wanting any sort of changes in format. I thought the ramen segment was fun.

How so? When you have a guest on you accommodate the format if needed if that makes the guest more comfortable/or to help bring forth something special.
A guest wouldn't be that different than Ben being smart about it bringing us what makes Frame Trap, Frame Trap and still giving everyone a stage to talk more about E3 because the occasion demanded it. (The idea is as a host you do your best to make whatever is pertinent be it people/event/etc shine.)
That's my point really.

Because right now it just seems like you're arguing that any change would ruin it for you, at least that's what I got out of it.

Just seems a bit sad to me to outright be against having guests as if a guest would inherently ruin EZA chemistry or would make normal EZA only podcast disappear, especially when those things just aren't true.(I mean I already explained a few possible ways to work around it.)

Regardless of occasional awkwardness, guests are important and great for cross-promotions.
Jason seems to be a good sport in general, but really even if not I firmly believe that depending on how comfortable the host is with the unexpected they would have big influence on any awkwardness(even in cases where its unavoidable a host can just own it and suddenly it's part of the comedy). I think Jeff Gerstman for example is very good about that, making people feel comfortable etc. Even if things get really hard(there was one with the devs of Overland) he's pretty good about it. If we go outside of gaming(although I think esports also has great examples like Redeye) there are probably even more good examples of this.

Edit: Also I feel like when people read adjustments they think some weird big change. It really is just to have the awareness that any given guest might not be comfortable with all the quirky bits on x podcast or that sometimes it's a waste to have all the normal segments instead of making a 100% out of the opportunity a guest brings. To be honest if I think about the current EZA podcast there aren't even things that come to my mind that would make it hard for a guest.
The word of the week thing is simple enough, beyond that nothing really since we don't have the beasty boys anymore.

For me a happy medium would be to have bonus episodes or something of the sort whenever they have a guest that genuinely wants to be on that they also want to have on.
I mean yeah depending on what's the end goal having a guest in something extra totally dedicated to them(like dev x when their game releases similar) is best when resources allow it, I totally agree with that sentiment.
In the case of Vandenberghe have an EZA representative for each faction :p (Huber-> Viking not sure on the others I would guess Ben -> Samurai?) and then nerd out on the game or something.

sora87

The right guests wouldn't need any adjusting or awkwardness imo. Lucy James, Tim Gettys, Andrea Rene, Craig from Screwattack, they'd all fit right in with the EZA crew. It's probably a long way off and something that'd be easier if they had a studio space, plus they'd have to organize it around times when people are in town for other things. But it's always good to be open to these things and get that cross-promotion going.

Holy cow that Frame Trap episode was so much fun! That was such a jolly game to play and everyone got into it! Those brief moments of RP had me grinning from ear to ear. Ben hurt his cheek from smacking himself, but my cheeks hurt cuz I couldn't stop smiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom