• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

So, I know Ben lurks around here and I'd like to spend a few words on TTE. I'd like to start by saying that Ben's a spectacular DM, he has a talent for improv, is great at balancing the story needs and the player's wants. The episodes in the city have been amazing, best stuff coming off TTA/TTE so far. TTE is currently my favourite EZA thing, however there are a few ongoing problems:

1. Too many threads - Too many things happened all at once and the players simply couldn't handle them: Kuo, Moof, the eyepatch, Zhezhe/familiar, Law's foot, the mage in the tavern, the priest's quest, the baron's quest. However things were relatively under control until Moof got hurt and the group divided, that's when hell broke loose. Which brings me to...

2. The group is actually chaotic neutral / chaotic evil - Therese killed an innocent man with barely a nuance of guilt, she seems to be totally over it by now, Yogalla cares only about money and his cat, he had Moof injure himself and was ready to have him killed after he lied, Necator is maybe the less chaotic but like the others really only cares about his own well being, not about the mission or about other people. All of this can be perfectly fine at times, after all people do tend to care about themselves the most, but when the leit motive becomes crazy hijinks and screwing over others all the time, without rhyme or reason, it gets boring rather quickly. Which brings us to...

3. Law - He started fine, as a still impulsive but good presence, the one who could and would balance the misdeeds of the other three, but since he got out of the dungeon and got his foot restored he has become a madman. He recruited two different semi-hostile creatures, almost killed a cat, accepted all kinds of random quests, kept a mass of bloody grain on himself, insulted the guards repeatedly, got himself incarcerated, had a prisoner help him break out of jail, and most jarringly of all, he refused to run and accept the help of the group. That's when I kinda lost faith: everything is centered around him again, like in TTA, all the big mess they're in is its fault, and when they get all together to help him, managing to overcome the odds, he just doesn't care and keeps stubbornly going his way.

I don't want Law to die, I mean, if it happens it happens, but I'd rather want Huber to tone down the crazy antics a little, becoming more of a team worker. Such little things would help immensely. With all the action centering around him everything else has been forgotten or set aside: Law believing Moof was hurt by Yogalla, Law thinking Therese had killed a the tailor, Moof and Kuo whereabouts, the many quests, the setting itself! All they're thinking about right now is how to get away from the city: we fucked up big time, let's bolt! Which is a shame, because there were all these nice sidequests and stuff to do... and probably none of those will be explored.

I think Hogger actually died in TTA but Ben decided it wasn't canon or implemented a rule to save him. I.e. Something beyond a life saving throw.

Something like that happened in the room with Driders and spikes. That's when I mostly stopped caring about TTA. No stakes, no fun.

DMiz

2. The group is actually chaotic neutral / chaotic evil - Therese killed an innocent man with barely a nuance of guilt, she seems to be totally over it by now, Yogalla cares only about money and his cat, he had Moof injure himself and was ready to have him killed after he lied, Necator is maybe the less chaotic but like the others really only cares about his own well being, not about the mission or about other people. All of this can be perfectly fine at times, after all people do tend to care about themselves the most, but when the leit motive becomes crazy hijinks and screwing over others all the time, without rhyme or reason, it gets boring rather quickly. Which brings us to...

To be honest, this has actually been secretly one of the best things that I realized about the show last week and has incidentally made my enjoyment of the latest episodes go up.

In a sense, I almost want and wish Ben will throw in a situation where the Nightingales will actually offer recruitment to the party, because all of their efforts thus far have largely been working against the other people in the world. It is devilishly enjoyable!

MrMette

To be honest, this has actually been secretly one of the best things that I realized about the show last week and has incidentally made my enjoyment of the latest episodes go up.

In a sense, I almost want and wish Ben will throw in a situation where the Nightingales will actually offer recruitment to the party, because all of their efforts thus far have largely been working against the other people in the world. It is devilishly enjoyable!
I can not condone this type of behavior as a Lawful Good cleric ;) (in all seriousness, that would be cool although I am not sure if it won't screw up Ben's story)

Started playing D&D with some friends not too long ago (only one session so far as it is difficult to get together because of work/kids for some of them) somewhat shortly after starting watching TTE. They asked me before for tabletop RPGs, but I never would have thought I would have liked it until I saw TTE. So thanks Ben/EZA for getting me into this.

Hopefully we can get together somewhere next month for a second session (none of us have played before so it is going somewhat slowly). I also convinced at least one of them to watch TTE en he is enjoying it a lot as far as I understand.

The RP of the party not abandoning Law after all this is funny. They all seem selfish yet keep helping Law after throwing himself in jail time after time. Also aren't monks supposed to be extremely disciplined lol? The group really found their stride in this town though, there hasn't been a dull minute since they found Moof.

Ultimadrago

Ben, I have one simple request:

When Law inevitably dies I need a ghostly vision of Emperor Dread to say "you've failed me"

Just thinking of Emperor Dread the Monk is still enough to make me laugh.

The RP of the party not abandoning Law after all this is funny. They all seem selfish yet keep helping Law after throwing himself in jail time after time. Also aren't monks supposed to be extremely disciplined lol? The group really found their stride in this town though, there hasn't been a dull minute since they found Moof.

I miss Moof. :( Stupid, greedy Yogalla!

So I've caught up on the latest episode of the podcast, and what's everyone freaking out about over Damiani? Sure, he was running things through a Nintendo filter but that's because he's a huge Nintendo fan. I enjoy hearing his perspective because I've just never really been much of a Nintendo fan, my perspective as a gamer is totally skewed towards PlayStation, it's a breath of fresh air. It might've bugged me if Kyle didn't start calling him out on it, but everyone there was grilling him for it so it's fine.

He's a different personality from the others. I'm glad he's around, in fact I feel like Damiani has loosened up a bit more on his latest appearances and is messing around more. It's great. I love it. If Damiani is still reading this thread: never change, dude.

Anyways, TTE was fantastic as always this week as well. It was great to see the group finally lose one of these big rolls. Very excited to see how this madness plays out, and I'm on board with everyone else that Law needs the face the consequences of his insanity (as fun as said insanity is!)

As far as hiring an editor, it's not that simple.

I know Brandon has answered a question about fans helping out with things on Cup of Jones before, I've been really curious to see if anything more would come out of that because I would love to help out (if possible) just for the experience.

This... I like this.

Ultimadrago

Well, he was getting help
until Moof started lying about him (I really don't think it was in his plans to get Moof hurt before Moof told Law Yogalla attacked him)

Yogalla lied first anyways (behind Moof's back by withholding vital information about the accident). Moof felt Yogalla's hostility/indifference towards him and emotionally lashed to expose Yogalla's even-more dangerous side of selfishness to the group. I don't blame him. Seeing that Yogalla indirectly caused the harm anyways, I'm not absolutely sure why Moof lies (though he's hardly the most eloquent of communicators in Common), but I still see what Moof was getting at.

MrMette

Yogalla lied first anyways (behind Moof's back by withholding vital information about the accident). Moof felt Yogalla's hostility/indifference towards him and emotionally lashed to expose Yogalla's even-more dangerous side of selfishness to the group. I don't blame him. Seeing that Yogalla indirectly caused the harm anyways, I'm not absolutely sure why Moof lies (though he's hardly the most eloquent of communicators in Common), but I still see what Moof was getting out.

I am not saying Yogalla didn't do anything wrong. He became somewhat evil after that whole thing, but I really think he didn't mean that to happen and he somewhat panicked or something. A lot of things started to go very wrong around that point.

But yeah, I am very curious about Moof as well (also I love the way Ben voiced/RPed him).

Ultimadrago

I am not saying Yogalla didn't do anything wrong. He became somewhat evil after that whole thing, but I really think he didn't mean that to happen and he somewhat panicked or something. A lot of things started to go very wrong around that point.

But yeah, I am very curious about Moof as well (also I love the way Ben voiced him).

Indeed, he did at least go to get help. Perhaps he didn't actually mean it in that context. Don't get me wrong regardless, I still really enjoy Yogalla's character overall. It's truly Kyle's born role!

Yeah, Ben's voices in general are great. You can tell he's been playing D&D for a while. I mean, it's still him, but I couldn't keep a straight face doing half of those: Moof and Salty Sailor #5 are my favorites.

"So...he's a Yarn Spinner? I loooove Yarn Spinners!"

MrMette

Indeed, he did at least go to get help. Perhaps he didn't actually mean it in that context. Don't get me wrong regardless, I still really enjoy Yogalla's character overall. It's truly Kyle's born role!

Yeah, Ben's voices in general are great. You can tell he's been playing D&D for a while. I mean, it's still him, but I couldn't keep a straight face doing half of those: Moof and Salty Sailor #5 are my favorites.
Yeah it is, Yogalla's RP/voice is very well done as well. To be honest all of them are doing great as far as RP goes (maybe Huber a bit less the last few episodes, but I still enjoy it).

Yeah, you can indeed tell he is experienced in this. He also is very good in improvising when some weird stuff happens (which happens a lot apparently). I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face either (they sometimes can't either, but in general it is very well done).

And yeah, the sailors were great as well.

DMiz

"So...he's a Yarn Spinner? I loooove Yarn Spinners!"

I think my favourite but also potentially over-used Ben voice is the one he used for the Knight Captain. You know the one: where he has this cold, quiet, almost Hannibal-esque quality to his voice. He sometimes throws on a rasp and it has a very neat effect!

(I only say it's over-used because I think Ben is forced to employ it when he needs to talk down Huber, especially as a character who has to assert his/her power or dominance over Huber's character - which is not easy to do given how free-spirited Mike seems to get. :p)

Ultimadrago

I think my favourite but also potentially over-used Ben voice is the one he used for the Knight Captain. You know the one: where he has this cold, quiet, almost Hannibal-esque quality to his voice. He sometimes throws on a rasp and it has a very neat effect!

(I only say it's over-used because I think Ben is forced to employ it when he needs to talk down Huber, especially as a character who has to assert his/her power or dominance over Huber's character - which is not easy to do given how free-spirited Mike seems to get. :p)

No, I absolutely know what you mean. It's that "Listen here..." voice that never gets listened to. That's one tough job to book! You can't talk straight to that crazy dwarf monk. Hehe

so1337

Finally (finally) started watching Tabletop. What's up with them rolling 20s all the time? Please nerf.

Lars had grain.

grimmiq

Damn it, started watching Brandon Plays Pokemon yesterday, bought a New 3DS today. Don't think I've touched Pokemon since the GBA.

Jhn

I don't want Law to die, I mean, if it happens it happens, but I'd rather want Huber to tone down the crazy antics a little, becoming more of a team worker. Such little things would help immensely.

While I agree with everything else you said, I think Law needs to die and Huber to roll a new character for that to happen logically. Law all of a sudden turning into a team player again after essentially being Joker-levels of insane for a good while doesn't make any sense.

Like it or not, that character is pretty much an antagonist at this point.

MrMette

Ben also rolls his share of 1s, lol.

I don't know how they do it, but they do indeed roll a lot of natural 1s and natural 20s.
It does make for some hilarious moments, but it does hamper Ben from punishing the weird moves the others make.

But it mostly very funny to me, so keep on rolling natural 1s and 20s.

Sure. My personal dream is for Don to be full-time as soon as possible, but we're still a ways from that truly being feasible. (Ian too, but he has his other projects to worry about.)

Is it due to lack of funding? Or just other personal obligations. Hopefully the situation improves.

All the best.

Is it due to lack of funding? Or just other personal obligations. Hopefully the situation improves.

All the best.

Yeah, as Brandon mentioned before, Brandon, Damiani, and Ben are the only ones who are full time right now. Even that's not really close to the rates we'd take for other jobs, but for me, this is our work, our team, our community. I'll do what I can to make it work and get by for now.

KeRaSh

Just finished TTE. What an ending! I must say Ben does an incredible job handling these unscripted situations. I just hope the whole Baron situation clears up really soon because it's on the edge of getting annoying. Too much back and forth for no real reason.

Jonnax

I'm really loving how TTE is a story about dodgy people doing crazy things.

Looking forward to how the trial will go awry. ヽ(^o^)丿

Some great Law quotes in this episode:

*batman voice* We're gonna save this city.

Nevermind that he's basically public enemy No.1 at this point. LawL

Really fun stream of SF V. It'd be fun to do more streams with chat allowed to join and play. I tried to get in but with only one slot it was tough to find it in time.

Good stuff Brian in your match!

But opening the lobby more would allow people to queue up. I'm a bronze casual and it'd be fun to play others that are similar as well

Guilty Gear also has a cool "Local arcade" mode where we could have people join up.

Also appreciated Brandon's comments at the start of the RDR stream. I'm in the Dallas area so it was a strange night

Wiggy

Yeah, as Brandon mentioned before, Brandon, Damiani, and Ben are the only ones who are full time right now. Even that's not really close to the rates we'd take for other jobs, but for me, this is our work, our team, our community. I'll do what I can to make it work and get by for now.

Hey blood now e3 is out the way has there been any talk of new patron reward tiers? That gap from 50-200 is huge. I know this thread had a lot of ideas bosman said were useful a while back too

Watching the newest episode of Huberstank has really hammered home how crazy the rest of this year is for releases. It's frustrating in a way, because I know there will be some games I'd love to play but never will, as there just isn't the time and the money to get through them all. I miss being a kid and having infinite amounts of time.

Visceir

Never had to do it but editing has always seemed fairly easy to me, at least the technical side.

Would just need to have someone show the few basic tools you use for everything in your choice of software, add in some trial and error testing on your own side and have the rest be covered by looking up specific tutorials for exactly the things you need to do, which there are surely plenty of on youtube already.

Seems also like a must-have skill for that line of work tbh.

Hasney

Never had to do it but editing has always seemed fairly easy to me, at least the technical side.

Would just need to have someone show the few basic tools you use for everything in your choice of software, add in some trial and error testing on your own side and have the rest be covered by looking up specific tutorials for exactly the things you need to do, which there are surely plenty of on youtube already.

It isn't. Look at how good the lower-budget EZA reviews are compared to other video reviews on YouTube and I'd much rather quality be maintained. Anyone can clip out clips and string them together, but making it a decent end-product that Ian, Don and Brandon can do is something very different. I have done it which is why I always looked up to the GT/EZA standard.

For the line of work they were in, it wasn't required as they had full time editors plus Brandon chipping in. It's only now it would be more useful. Like they said on Q&A, Brandon is going to find some time and show Ben/Huber how he edited one of their reviews to show how the process got to that finished article which is a good approach. Should keep a consistent quality.

Maiar_m

I never had to fly a plane but it looks fairly easy to me, at least the technical side.

Would just need to have someone show the few basic tools for everything in your choice of plane, add in some trial and error testing on your own side and have the rest be covered by looking up specific tutorials for exactly the things you need to do, which there are surely plenty of on youtube already.

Seems also like a must-have skill for all on-board crew to be honest.

/end snark

Video editing is a real job and skill. Yes, anyone with the right software can cut a video and tadaaaa, but doing it right and delivering a good clip that is both technically smooth and paces well is not an easily acquired skill. I find it incredibly arrogant to consider it pedestrian.

Auctopus

Big love, Blood.

Axass

After listening to the last Q&A, all I wanted to say is: Brad, a retrogaming show would be rad!

Also, are there any news on the backers' D&D sessions? Is Ben still planning to post them on Patreon?

sinxtanx

trying to list all the soul-crushing shit that's happened to Law
  • banished from Emperor Dread's court
  • Pepe
  • *implied 100 years of unfortunate misadventure*
  • ambushed by Nightinggales
  • burned
  • grain infection
  • seen some shit
  • bond with and subsuquently lose three friends
  • jailed twice for his convictions
  • that guy whose cat he almost killed and saved got killed