• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
trying to list all the soul-crushing shit that's happened to Law
  • banished from Emperor Dread's court
  • Pepe
  • *implied 100 years of unfortunate misadventure*
  • ambushed by Nightinggales
  • burned
  • grain infection
  • seen some shit
  • bond with and subsuquently lose three friends
  • jailed twice for his convictions
  • that guy whose cat he almost killed and saved got killed
  • lost faith in authority AND faith
  • broke his damn arm
  • nearly executed, awaiting trial

it's a wonder he isn't depressed by now

Most of that he did to himself, so I can't feel sorry for him

Visceir

I never had to fly a plane but it looks fairly easy to me, at least the technical side.

Would just need to have someone show the few basic tools for everything in your choice of plane, add in some trial and error testing on your own side and have the rest be covered by looking up specific tutorials for exactly the things you need to do, which there are surely plenty of on youtube already.

Seems also like a must-have skill for all on-board crew to be honest.

/end snark

Video editing is a real job and skill. Yes, anyone with the right software can cut a video and tadaaaa, but doing it right and delivering a good clip that is both technically smooth and paces well is not an easily acquired skill. I find it incredibly arrogant to consider it pedestrian.

Predictable response, haha. I was talking purely about learning the software as was pointed out in my post. Plenty of stuff that EZA does like the podcasts, TTE and Brandon Plays seem to demand the most basic editing.

Never really watch the reviews tbh, even less interested in them when the game has already been out for weeks.

Hasney

Predictable response, haha. I was talking purely about learning the software as was pointed out in my post. Plenty of stuff that EZA does like the podcasts, TTE and Brandon Plays seem to demand the most basic editing.

Never really watch the reviews tbh, even less interested in them when the game has already been out for weeks.

Ians doing TTE and there's quite a bit going on in both the podcast and Brandon Plays Pokemon, mostly around finding the timecode of when to insert mnusic and graphics (and it still impresses me how Ian can just look at a clock during recording and remember the timecode for when he has to edit something). I think we would have all be fine with Brandon Plays Pokemon not having the graphics and stuff in, but Brandon wanted to.

Other than reviews, it all seems OK now once the timng for Cup of Jones is sorted. Just hope he can dole out the editing training for reviews of games in this summer lull.

Giever

While I agree with everything else you said, I think Law needs to die and Huber to roll a new character for that to happen logically. Law all of a sudden turning into a team player again after essentially being Joker-levels of insane for a good while doesn't make any sense.

Like it or not, that character is pretty much an antagonist at this point.

I think, depending on how the trial goes, we could have a moment where he realizes the error of his ways. Maybe Emperor Dread appears to him in a vision (even without Law dying), and expresses disappointment, and reinforces his teachings. Tells him that he'll never get justice for Prince Ragnar's death if he rots away in this town, etc.

Also, I want that weird god-grain-cat to reappear. What the heck was the deal with that thing?!

RedSnake

trying to list all the soul-crushing shit that's happened to Law
  • banished from Emperor Dread's court
  • Pepe
  • *implied 100 years of unfortunate misadventure*
  • ambushed by Nightinggales
  • burned
  • grain infection
  • seen some shit
  • bond with and subsuquently lose three friends
  • jailed twice for his convictions
  • that guy whose cat he almost killed and saved got killed
  • lost faith in authority AND faith
  • broke his damn arm
  • nearly executed, awaiting trial

it's a wonder he isn't depressed by now

Dude fights in his sleep (I need a T-Shirt with that) and has (had) a crowbar for a plan.
Plus I believe he got wrongfully thrown into jail. He was just helping the town's NPCs.

sora87

Just a lil nitpick for the streams, it'd be nice if they read the questions they're asked from chat and not just answer them so you know what they're talking about, youtube doesn't have the chat archive

wiibomb

Just a lil nitpick for the streams, it'd be nice if they read the questions they're asked from chat and not just answer them so you know what they're talking about, youtube doesn't have the chat archive

this is true... and even in the live stream on twitch the question just go by quickly with the fast moving chat

Majority of the time they do. I was watching the archive of the RE: Nemesis stream and Huber, Ben, Kyle and Max would say Username asked favorite OST's or whatever.

Plus you can get the gist of the question by the answers.

Kneefoil

Also, I want that weird god-grain-cat to reappear. What the heck was the deal with that thing?!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that the spell was supposed to change the grain and the cat in some way. So much has happened in the town, some of which we'll probably never get any payoff.

sora87

Majority of the time they do. I was watching the archive of the RE: Nemesis stream and Huber, Ben, Kyle and Max would say Username asked favorite OST's or whatever.

Plus you can get the gist of the question by the answers.

It's pretty 50/50 from what I've seen in the EZA solo streams, like I said just a lil nitpick, no biggie anyhoo

Burt

Dude fights in his sleep (I need a T-Shirt with that) and has (had) a crowbar for a plan.
Plus I believe he got wrongfully thrown into jail. He was just helping the town's NPCs.
That just reminded me of
900x900px-LL-86304b39_i3evqx.gif

And now I will forever
until he dies
picture Law as Dwarf Swanson

Just finished this week's tabletop. Ben, I just wanted to say that the last 15 or so minutes with the cat races was absolutely wonderful and gave me huge trouble trying not to crack up at work. Keep it up, man! :D

of course everyone else did a wonderful job as well ^^

Auctopus

Finally got a chance to watch the podcast.

Didn't notice anything annoying by Damiani. Also Mr. Hentai Lord saving Jones was hilarious.

Vinc

Didn't notice anything annoying by Damiani. Also Mr. Hentai Lord saving Jones was hilarious.

The only thing I noticed is how much I've missed him being on podcasts after he left GT.

This was a really, really fun episode. I love episodes with special segments like this, they tend to be my favorite.

Par Score

Late getting to the podcast, but man alive does the EZA crew's total lack of familiarity with (and sometimes respect for) classic PC gaming bum me out sometimes :c

Yup or Nope was overall fun though.

Ray Down

Banned

Honestly, didn't care him bring up Zelda in every game of the show discussion they were talking about or maybe more so in how he did it.

ito007

It isn't. Look at how good the lower-budget EZA reviews are compared to other video reviews on YouTube and I'd much rather quality be maintained. Anyone can clip out clips and string them together, but making it a decent end-product that Ian, Don and Brandon can do is something very different. I have done it which is why I always looked up to the GT/EZA standard.

For the line of work they were in, it wasn't required as they had full time editors plus Brandon chipping in. It's only now it would be more useful. Like they said on Q&A, Brandon is going to find some time and show Ben/Huber how he edited one of their reviews to show how the process got to that finished article which is a good approach. Should keep a consistent quality.
On the note of editing. I think the overwatch review is my favorite video in terms of editing thus far. Just joy to watch

Your comment makes more sense in this context, since the reviews/retrospectives/D-files are the most "produced" content they do (and it shows, IMO. They're great).

But yeah, even the simple stuff is a little harder than it looks...

luchadork

you could teach someone how to 'edit' in a weekend. especially something like huber syndrome. hardest bit would be then figuring the little tricks and stuff out on your own. stuff that youd pick up working in an office. easiest solution would just be to have to guys go over to brandons and watch him edit a few videos. you could even just record the process so they could rewatch it. and then all theyd have to do is follow along.

honestly, having worked with editors for years, the most important skill is speed. i'm sure theyd hate hearing that but thats what separates the good from the bad imo. just being able to churn out an 'alright' video at light speed. and thats something that just comes from experience. you're not making barry lyndon. just churn it out.

MrMette

I enjoyed that podcast to be honest.

I expected it to be completely different because of some of the comments here, but to be honest, I didn't see anything wrong with it. It was a group of friends having a conversation about videogames, like it always has been.

The Dragon Quest and Street Fighter streams are two of the best streams in a long time. Just brilliant.
I know none of you are neighbours, but having at least two people engaging each other on a stream makes all the difference. Hope for more.

aadiboy

I just realized that the Furby toy Kyle has is from Happy Meal toyset that I got a toy from as a kid. That has to be at least 18 years old now!

It might seem that way, but you show the average person a timeline in Premiere (or especially AVID, if you wanna get real fancy) or the export window and they won't have a clue what they're doing. I know film students that can't grasp this stuff. There's a lot more to editing than you probably realize. For example, if you wanna try and explain different types of compression, how they work, when to use them, and why... Well, have fun haha.

Throw in codecs while you're at it if you really want to see them lose their minds.

It might seem that way, but you show the average person a timeline in Premiere (or especially AVID, if you wanna get real fancy) or the export window and they won't have a clue what they're doing. I know film students that can't grasp this stuff. There's a lot more to editing than you probably realize. For example, if you wanna try and explain different types of compression, how they work, when to use them, and why... Well, have fun haha.

Throw in codecs while you're at it if you really want to see them lose their minds.

While that's all true, I doubt Brandon is doing anything fancy with the exports.

Just watched this weeks podcast and I just want to confirm to Brad that there is indeed a kid (11 year old) that plays Souls games and his my little brother. He loves Bloodborne (I finished the game and judged it to be appropriate for him since it had no sex, ketchup blood and was not spooky), he even has Platinum it (with some help in the Chalice Dungeons) and now he's started playing Dark Souls 2. And as a plus, he is actually really good, he even defeated the Cleric Beast in his first try, saw it live and my jaw dropped because it took me at least 5 tries.

sora87

Your little brother is braver than me, Barajas. Some parts of Bloodborne creeped me the hell out, definitely podcast time during some of those sections

Your little brother is braver than me, Barajas. Some parts of Bloodborne creeped me the hell out, definitely podcast time during some of those sections

Well my brother also really got into Five Nights at Freddy so maybe he got some immunity to spooky environments.

openrob

Your comment makes more sense in this context, since the reviews/retrospectives/D-files are the most "produced" content they do (and it shows, IMO. They're great).

But yeah, even the simple stuff is a little harder than it looks...

It not even so much hard, it's that when you are a beginner, basic things can take such a big chunk out of your day. I mean I posted a video of mine a couple of pages ago. Basic video, couple of cuts, and some backing tracks and it took me quite a while to do everything right.

That's why I said hiring someone could actually be more productive than taking the time to learn because it can just eat away at your hours haha

Hasney

you could teach someone how to 'edit' in a weekend. especially something like huber syndrome. hardest bit would be then figuring the little tricks and stuff out on your own. stuff that youd pick up working in an office. easiest solution would just be to have to guys go over to brandons and watch him edit a few videos. you could even just record the process so they could rewatch it. and then all theyd have to do is follow along.

honestly, having worked with editors for years, the most important skill is speed. i'm sure theyd hate hearing that but thats what separates the good from the bad imo. just being able to churn out an 'alright' video at light speed. and thats something that just comes from experience. you're not making barry lyndon. just churn it out.

Oh for sure on the last part, Brandon has mentioned it before that he's slightly jealous of Ian and Don since they can just churn it out while keeping a high quality. He said during the GT days that he laboured over things to get them just right, but I think he's learning speed as a necessity while he's been under pressure. That podcast was out relatively quick and was the most complex outside of the Patreon roll call.

MatParker1711

Neo Member

Depends on the program being used, certification in Premier or Final Cut can take up to a week of classes and cost $1000. Big reason why Rooster Teeth picked up Don is he's good, quick and now familiar with the Funhaus style, a good editor makes all the difference. As for Don he gets Health and Dental!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom