• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST2K

I'm pretty new to EZA. Managed to ignore everything from GT that wasn't Final Bosman.

Got a couple questions for y'all:

- Is Huber always like that?
- Am I incorrect to think the general community seems especially immature?
- Is Frame Trap just supposed to be another podcast or is there a gimmick I didn't catch after watching a couple episodes? It feels oddly redundant.

I'm pretty new to EZA. Managed to ignore everything from GT that wasn't Final Bosman.

- Is Frame Trap just supposed to be another podcast or is there a gimmick I didn't catch after watching a couple episodes? It feels oddly redundant.

Huber's enthusiasm is a character trait. I don't really know how to answer your question beyond that. Half glass full kind of guy.

Don't concern yourself with the community, if you like their content watch their stuff. And if you really like it then consider supporting them on patreon.com

Frame Trap is basically where they focus on fewer topics but go into more detail on really whatever they feel like talking about. Even if it's not concurrent gaming news. For example the last one focused heavily on Resident Evil [7]. Which is something that I like. Normally I find most gaming podcasts to be too fleeting.

I support them on patreon but I don't watch all their content due to time restrictions. To be honest I just listen to the podcasts and catch the ocassional Ben stream. Ben can talk about games, game design, game theory for days - and it's great.

So just stick with what you like. I think that's what makes EZA so great, something for everyone.

Karu

I support them on patreon but I don't watch all their content due to time restrictions. To be honest I just listen to the weekly podcast and catch the occassional Ben stream. Ben can talk about games, game design, game theory for days - and it's great.
He's by far my favourite streamer because of that. Kyle for general attitude, also.

Other than that, I can only second most of your other remarks...

Kneefoil

- More often than not.
- I only really dabble in the community through this thread, but it seems OK for the most part. Though, there are moments...
- EZA Podcast is news oriented, while Frame Trap's "gimmick" is that they are more free to talk about whatever they feel like.

MrMette

- Huber is almost always very enthusiastic, yeah. Also, he can get your hype up for a lot of games (which I really like). You will get used to it. I know I wasn't sure what to think in the beginning either, but I really love his enthusiasm now. It can get a bit much sometimes, but most of the time it is great imo.
- I don't think the community is immature although there just have been some discussions lately which got out of hand. As far as I remember this was the first time since they started 4-5 months ago, so I think it is fine. Also in each community you have people which are less immature than others.
- Frame Trap is a lot more loose than the podcast. The podcast is almost exclusively games while on frame trap they can talk about other stuff as well. I really love both and they complement each other well imo.

I also think you will get a lot more out of everything (especially the podcast and frame trap) once you get to know their personalities a bit better and what type of games they love/like and don't like. After a while you know which allies tastes compares the best to your own.

Also, if you want to laugh, you can watch Tabletop Escapades. It does go over the top, but I really love that show.

ST2K

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll definitely stay tuned for more stuff to get a feel of it.

As for Huber, it wasn't me hating on him or disliking his positivity. It just seems like he's always on, to an extent it comes off as disingenuous, even though I'm sure he's not. But I'm certain I'll eventually find something from him that has a bit less forceful energy as I doubt anyone can keep that up all the time, even if it's part of their personality.

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll definitely stay tuned for more stuff to get a feel of it.

As for Huber, it wasn't me hating on him or disliking his positivity. It just seems like he's always on, to an extent it comes off as disingenuous, even though I'm sure he's not. But I'm certain I'll eventually find something from him that has a bit less forceful energy as I doubt anyone can keep that up all the time, even if it's part of their personality.

Oh, there has been times when Huber is done with positivity.

Does anybody have any quarters?

Karu

Maybe check out his streams - if you're into that kind of content. I found Huber is pretty "down" on those, admittedly I tend to not watch them for long, tho.

arkon

As someone new* to the Easy Allies I guess I'll chime in with my thoughts on the recent podcast episode. Maybe my perception was coloured by the thoughts expressed in here about Damiani which I read beforehand but I didn't think he was as bad as people were making out. Certainly not to the extent that I would use terms like excruciating, wanting him off the podcast or dropping support for the patreon. Sentiments not all necessarily expressed here but in certain other avenues (yeah, I know, youtube comments). I actually thought it lead to some funny quips from Kyle and Brandon which negates the perceived downsides and adds to the flavour.

If Kyle wanted the game to be quickfire and not to run on too long he could just have stepped in as moderator to speed things up. "Okay, I'm gonna need an answer now", "That's a yup from Damiani then. Next year!". If the segment runs on longer than intended who cares? Just extend the podcast by an equivalent amount to make room for everything you wanted to cover, which should be fine providing the guys have the free time for it.

I will say there was a tinge of frustration when he stalled over answering that question but it's all a matter of perspective. I've listened to the superbestfriendcast for the last two years and they constantly talk over each other, interrupt and get into heated arguments etc. plus one of their recent episodes was one of the most frustrating podcasts I've ever listened to. Everything I've watched from the Allies (admittedly only a small portion) has paled in comparison to that.

As games go I would like the game from last week to make a comeback. The idea of not rejecting any suggestion and having to run with them all led to some wonderful improv moments in that episode. Especially with Huber throwing stuff out there.

* By new I mean really new. I didn't watch the GT stuff at the time (which is now something of a regret) and only really became aware of them when they were launching the Easy Allies stuff due to the GAF thread at the time but didn't pursue it any further. I only started watching their stuff over a week ago just before the trial.

sora87

We in community now boyos

laughing.gif

WarRock

Charity stream was so fun with the voice acting, heh. I'm also interested thanks to some of the writing. Has Ian done other games?

Burt

Community thread noooo

But yeah, subscriptions are pretty much the best thing on GAF. I think I didn't start using them until like 6 months ago.

sinxtanx

Huber is a wonderful human being who keeps it 100% real, honest, unfiltered.

Seconding the recommendation for Tabletop Escapades. We get a weekly hour-long improv sitcom and I love it. First few episodes are the "tutorial quest", then once the players taste freedom, all stops are pulled.

Man Furi is legit. Just got through the first 2 bosses. A ton of fun. Super tight controls and a nice mix of range/Merle. It's a character action boss rush but each boss battle is sooo long. Tons of phases and new mechanics just keep things escalating. And when you win it feels so rewarding because you learned, got better, and pulled it off. There's no freebies. It's those sensibilities that makes souls games or DMC so fun for me.

Great PS+ game. I think Ben, Ian and Brad would love it.

oh hey, community. that's good.

what's this about
A reference to his RE4 stream with GT. A great moment where things were falling apart for Huber, meanwhile Brad and Kyle were not paying attention and goofing around doing Adam Sandler / Pixels impressions. Huber got mad at them on screen. Then later it was laughed at by all the rest of the night and months later

Man Furi is legit. Just got through the first 2 bosses. A ton of fun. Super tight controls and a nice mix of range/Merle. It's a character action boss rush but each boss battle is sooo long. Tons of phases and new mechanics just keep things escalating. And when you win it feels so rewarding because you learned, got better, and pulled it off. There's no freebies. It's those sensibilities that makes souls games or DMC so fun for me.

Great PS+ game. I think Ben, Ian and Brad would love it.

It didn't click for me. Which is sad because I really thought I'd like this game.

Joqu

A reference to his RE4 stream with GT. A great moment where things were falling apart for Huber, meanwhile Brad and Kyle were not paying attention and goofing around doing Adam Sandler / Pixels impressions. Huber got mad at them on screen. Then later it was laughed at by all the rest of the night and months later

Thanks! That sounds amazing.

I've been going back to it but I missed a lot of the GT era stuff. I got into them right before GT closed down actually, that was a bummer at the time. So I didn't get into them with EZA, but yeah. Might as well have!

Is there a link to this stream?

Is there a link to this stream?
https://youtu.be/g93biTgtOEw

It's in part 1 of 2 for the Re4 stream. If you want to jump to the moment it's at the 6:28:50 mark. Also if you want to see a man descend into despair. There's a reason part 2 is 11 hours long is Huner by himself since it's so late spends around 2 hours on the Kaiser QTE fight. He did this run on professional difficulty and it was giving him fits. He said their tv had bad input lag so the QTEs were rough. I tend to believe him on this one.

Another great episode of Brandon Plays Pokemon. The combination of this show and the Mythical giveaways Nintendo's throwing this year is actually what got me back into Pokemon about a month or so ago. And not in an "I'll play Pokemon Black because my friends are but I'll get bored halfway through and quit" way, an "I've gotta build a Living Dex" way, which is something I haven't done since like Gen 2.

So I bought a 3DS (which I was always going to get eventually anyway, if only for Phoenix Wright) and Pokemon Omega Ruby and got to it. I've already wrapped up almost everything I can do in Omega Ruby, bought Y, went back to wrap up my old Fire Red save (which was right at the end anyway, just needed to grind a bit and then beat the Elite Four) and started Black over again (because it's easy to transfer those Pokemon over to the PokeBank). I'm pretty hooked, especially since I've got a busted ankle, which might put me in a moon boot tomorrow. The only downside is it's kept me from really getting into Zero Time Dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom