• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the first game and I know Huber does as well. I just don't think Dishonored 2 showed very well at E3. The game could come out and be amazing. In my opinion, the panel was very reasonable with their criticisms. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The next time you guys do a group stream, one game I think would be fun to see you guys play is GameDevTycoon on Steam. It'd be fun to see which system you'd all agree to develop for and the game genre you'd settle on.

Rockk

I enjoyed frame trap but was hoping for some Evo talk (especially given the name). SFV was and still is getting mixed reviews but theirs over 5000 entrees for it. I don't ever post questions but maybe I'll try to post this for the Easy Allies podcast.

I enjoyed frame trap but was hoping for some Evo talk (especially given the name). SFV was and still is getting mixed reviews but theirs over 5000 entrees for it. I don't ever post questions but maybe I'll try to post this for the Easy Allies podcast.

I'm going to EVO this weekend so I think there will definitely be talk of it on the next Frame Trap.

Wagram

I really, really want Final Fantasy XV to be a cut. The problem I have is they consistently show it so poorly. With the movie doing well (supposedly) maybe there's a glimmer of hope at the end of this never ending tunnel. Perhaps it'll be great and the marketing team for FFXV is just shit incarnate.

I really, really want Final Fantasy XV to be a cut. The problem I have is they consistently show it so poorly. With the movie doing well (supposedly) maybe there's a glimmer of hope at the end of this never ending tunnel. Perhaps it'll be great and the marketing team for FFXV is just shit incarnate.

That was certainly the case with Doom. It was awful.

wapplew

Disappointed, Ben kun you steal my 30 minutes of TLG talk, it could be 2 hours show!
Just kidding, great episode, great cast.

For real, I demand TLG spoiler cast, hell make it team ICO trilogy spoiler cast.

Karu

Had the final insane 7-hour pseudo Frame Trap aka Heartstone Final Day-Podcast in the background on, and Ben with his rant about Meme-humour is the absolute best.

Anyone remember the final scene from on of the Schumacher Batmans with The Riddler?

It's the middle of the night. What...? The stream starts. But why? Brandon's garage. You can hardly see anything...

Suddenly someone jumps up and down in front of the camera. It's Ben...

I'M THE MEME! I'M THE MEME!

Cut to Black. We've gone to far...

Spman2099

So I am watching the new Frame Trap, which is great by the way, but I am perplexed by Kyle thinking it is just okay to spoil movies. Were they dumb movies? Sure. Did I care about the movie that was spoiled? No, but there are plenty of dumb movies that I would have been annoyed at people for spoiling. It's not an okay thing to do simply because you don't care...

Not cool.

wapplew

Not much to say about The Last Guardian other than it is The Last Guardian.

Who isn't looking forward to it for every reason?

They can talk more about critic reception, sales, personal expectation?
I bet it will fail on both sale and review, but it will be my GOTY. Step aside UC4, Witness, Inside, DS3, nothing beat TLG.

Kneefoil

My Cut or No Cut

No Man's Sky
No Cut - It will do pretty well in reviews, but I think the game will be a disappointment to a lot of people. After the initial buzz, I'm sure you'll hear a lot of people complaining that there's just not enough to do in the game, and the planets and such are not varied enough to stay interesting for long.

Dishonored 2
Cut - I've never played the first game and the E3 presentation was kind of weak, but I feel like a lot of people are still hungry for more Dishonored. If the sequel manages to improve upon the first one, they'll still love it even if the improvements are fairly minimal.

Final Fantasy XV
Cut - Another game that didn't really show well at E3, but it's still probably going to be a great game, and I think that both critics and fans will see that.

Gears of War 4
No Cut - It's not going to be bad, and people who like Gears and cover shooters will enjoy it, but most people will probably feel indifferent about it. It's not going to amazingly well, and the reviews will be just alright.

ReCore
Cut - I was not convinced until I saw gameplay during E3, but now the game looks really good. Ultimately how well it sells depends on how it's going to be marketed, but I think it will be received well.

The Last Guardian
Cut - Team Ico hasn't let its fans down yet.

Spman2099

I am jumping in on this...

No Man's Sky
No Cut -This is going to be a solid game that is destroyed by its execution. People will like it, and yet still be disappointed. Look for an average rating in the high 70's.

Dishonored 2
Cut - It won't have the same originality or tenacity of the fits game, but it is going to nail everything else. Refinement will be the name of the game. Surprisingly well written as well.

Final Fantasy XV
No Cut - Not another XIII, but far from claiming the lost glory. The combat engine will grow on people over time. The characters will endear themselves to the fans. However, there won't be enough meat on the bone. The game will ultimately feel unfulfilling. The lean cast may be likable, but they won't be able to carry the game on their own. Overall, this will be the most forgettable of all the Final Fantasy games. However, the international edition, adding a few optional characters, some more interesting outfits for the cast of characters, a new mechanic that alters, and enhances, the gameplay, will be a huge hit with fans and reignite passion for the game.

Gears of War 4
No Cut - Ho-hum: the game. Fans will claim it is the second coming, but everyone else will shrug their shoulders. It will do okay with reviewers and sell decently.

ReCore
Cut - The game will launch with little enthusiasm. Intially the reviews will be positive, but not overly so. However, word of mouth will spread and the momentum will pick up. Suddenly the reviewers who faintly praised it before will write new articles about how they had come to love the game. The sales will pick up. It will be a left field, smash hit. A new series will be born and MS will hold it up as an example of the "new experiences" they are bringing to gamers.

The Last Guardian
Cut - Tears of joy will fill the streets. The angels will descend. Our eyes will know then what we had already known in our hearts... Our lord and savior has returned in the form of a video game.

Comet

It's my favorite Zelda game of all time, but it's definitely for a very particular taste.

How far are you?

Ok I'm maybe 5 hours in (Snowhead Temple prep) and now it's starting to really jive with me. I think I was just incredibly uncomfortable with saving so many people and areas only to have it reset. I also had issues with how the game at first felt like nothing but side-quests strung together. But now Link's quest is a meta-story and that in and of itself is becoming way intriguing!

Hasney

Biggest thing from Cup of Jones is that it's not being done as a weekly show anymore, just will go up when it goes up, sometimes more than one a week if Brandon has spare time! Other than that, was mostly questions.

Comet

I like Damiani, but I don't feel he has a great presence in podcasts. He thinks more than he listens, talks over, and in cases like this particular podcast, lets his fanboyism overcloud his judgement. I mean, that Yup or Nope segment took like three times longer than it needed to because he was bringing up what Nintendo was up to every year. That wasn't part of the game; it was whether you agreed with the best of show for that year (slightly flawed premise anyway, since we can't perfectly remember the showing and what other games were showed in what capacity every year).

I don't want him to feel like he has to quit doing it, but I do think it's not really his forte.
Yeah it was pretty annoying to see him have to relate everything back to Nintendo. It's like c'mon man... that's not even 1/3 of what E3 is about. Damiani is A LOT like me, awful when recorded and live on the spot, but much better and refined when there's time and effort spent to edit and fetter out our thoughts.

LiK

Found myself skimming through parts of Frame Trap cuz I'm super sensitive to details of a game I will play. them's the breaks. not a fan of Kyle revealing you play as a certain character after you beat Kirby. kinda wish that was a surprise for me. oh wells.

jbluzb

They can talk more about critic reception, sales, personal expectation?
I bet it will fail on both sale and review, but it will be my GOTY. Step aside UC4, Witness, Inside, DS3, nothing beat TLG.

me too, just thinking the last guardian makes me giddy with joy :D

Philippo

I think Ben, Damiani, Brad, Huber and Kyle should watch Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV all together, just to build some hype for the game. Those little stories are pretty good.

Hasney

I think Ben, Damiani, Brad, Huber and Kyle should watch Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV all together, just to build some hype for the game. Those little stories are pretty good.

I keep forgetting they exist.... I'll watch them all in September sometime.

Tankard

Damn, that's a beefy Cup of Jones episode, love it. Too bad about it not being weekly anymore, but i would rather have it this way than not knowing what day it will come after it's already late.

About Frame Trap, i guess in a way all these games mentioned will be a no cut, in a personal level or not, i have a feeling maybe only Dishonored 2 might escape that.

I'm convinced XV will be a no cut but I really hope I'm wrong. I actually think it will fail in all three aspects.

I hope they remain quiet about the game until TGS and have a KILLER of a release trailer. I don't even remember when XV last had a trailer that really got my hyped, the one at E3 2013 that was all CG lol? Everything from E3 this year was just mediocre.

No Man's Sky is the hardest one for me to guess. Could go either way.

Karu

At the very least I hope the die hards love FFXV - not the fanboys (whoever that might be lol), they will regardless - but general JRPG enthusiasts. If the mainstream press etc. ignores it, I could live with that.

Asd202

I'm convinced XV will be a no cut but I really hope I'm wrong. I actually think it will fail in all three aspects.

I hope they remain quiet about the game until TGS and have a KILLER of a release trailer. I don't even remember when XV last had a trailer that really got my hyped, the one at E3 2013 that was all CG lol? Everything from E3 this year was just mediocre.

No Man's Sky is the hardest one for me to guess. Could go either way.

XV will definitely at Gamecom no idea about the trailer there. Also I thought this XV trailer was pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUyVRC52RZ8

I feel like No Man's Sky will be a no cut.

I have many reasons for feeling this way, but even Huber's ambitious proposal about more and more people gathering in the center of the universe seems to be problematic. I don't have confidence in a large game like this providing a very stable performance with peer to peer or server connectivity between different players.

I'm not sold on the procedurally/algorithm generated worlds. I have yet to see a game do this in a way that didn't feel inherently "gamey" where a bunch of re-used assets are plopped in with different color schemes etc. How can a game provide a real exploration like experience with a ton of variety in planets/wildlife when produced by algorithms? It simply can't. There has to be programmed logic for how every one of those items/resources can be interacted with and how they interact with the programmed systems. That means that there are either a TON of different resources and sources to find, making traveling to different planets a chore, or it will mean there aren't a lot of resources making traveling to different planets unrewarding. Tedium or boredom is all I can feel here.

I don't think people will be let down by their false expectations, I think the game has been sold to us in a way that has unrealistically inflated expectations. I still think it will be a cool game, but I'm concerned about it.

jett

D-Member
For me the main problem with NMS is that nothing of what they have shown of their moment-to-moment gameplay is interesting. You can shoot stuff. It looks like the dullest shooting mechanics imaginable. You can fly stuff. It doesn't look even remotely exciting. You can craft shit. I've been crafting shit in other games for years. I guess you can also make tunnels in the ground like Minecraft. And that's it. People have let their imaginations run wild at the prospect of the concept of space exploration, but frankly the fact is that you're exploring meaningless, randomly/procedurally generated crap. Personally, I don't care for randomly generated anything in games, much less the entire game being this way. I expect crushing disappointment for a lot of people.

I feel like No Man's Sky will be a no cut.

I have many reasons for feeling this way, but even Huber's ambitious proposal about more and more people gathering in the center of the universe seems to be problematic. I don't have confidence in a large game like this providing a very stable performance with peer to peer or server connectivity between different players.

I'm not sold on the procedurally/algorithm generated worlds. I have yet to see a game do this in a way that didn't feel inherently "gamey" where a bunch of re-used assets are plopped in with different color schemes etc. How can a game provide a real exploration like experience with a ton of variety in planets/wildlife when produced by algorithms? It simply can't. There has to be programmed logic for how every one of those items/resources can be interacted with and how they interact with the programmed systems. That means that there are either a TON of different resources and sources to find, making traveling to different planets a chore, or it will mean there aren't a lot of resources making traveling to different planets unrewarding. Tedium or boredom is all I can feel here.

I don't think people will be let down by their false expectations, I think the game has been sold to us in a way that has unrealistically inflated expectations. I still think it will be a cool game, but I'm concerned about it.

Minecraft did it
Elite: Dangerous did it
Star Citizen is doing it
Plenty of other games have done it

There's no reason No Man's Sky can't.

And you can't blame the devs for inflated expectations. You can blame other gamers and Sony for doing so. Sean has been nothing but humble and honest about the game.

RE: Cup of Jones

People complaining about content being gated behind the Patreon is silly. Cup of Jones shouldn't go free for everyone. It's not exactly content that non-Patrons would even enjoy. Glad Brandon is sticking to his guns on this matter.

Karu

For me the main problem with NMS is that nothing of what they have shown of their moment-to-moment gameplay is interesting. You can shoot stuff. It looks like the dullest shooting mechanics imaginable. You can fly stuff. It doesn't look even remotely exciting. You can craft shit. I've been crafting shit in other games for years. I guess you can also make tunnels in the ground like Minecraft. And that's it. People have let their imaginations run wild at the prospect of the concept of space exploration, but frankly the fact is that you're exploring meaningless, randomly/procedurally generated crap. Personally, I don't care for randomly generated anything in games, much less the entire game being this way. I expect crushing disappointment for a lot of people.
Eh, I guess most know that by now (speaking strictly of GAF audience) who are seriously interested and dont just do drive by posts. Naming things alone, no matter no one will ever acknowledge it, is enough drive for me, haha.

Minecraft did it
Elite: Dangerous did it
Star Citizen is doing it
Plenty of other games have done it

There's no reason No Man's Sky can't.

And you can't blame the devs for inflated expectations. You can blame other gamers and Sony for doing so. Sean has been nothing but humble and honest about the game.

Gee man I hope you are right. I don't necessarily agree with your examples, but it does bring to light that compelling games with this sort of design do exist. None of your examples even come close to the scope that NMS seems to proclaim. Like Jett just said and I just said, I think the game will be either tedium or boredom.

Sean is awesome, but I remained unconvinced that No Man's Sky can live up to the idea of the game as he presented it. If it does I think this game will become a legend and change games as we know it.

Very surprised that EZA didn't think the Dishonored 2 demo at E3 was good. I thought it looked great.

I think it was the awkward commentary that pulls you out of the moment. The game itself looked and sounded great. There are a lot of improvements over the first in graphics, movement, game mechanics, stealth etc.

Also, each and every Dishonored mission is potentially a massive spoiler. They can't show much. They designed a game to be very consequential of your actions and which style of play you choose.

Tankard

Very surprised that EZA didn't think the Dishonored 2 demo at E3 was good. I thought it looked great.

I'm a huge Dishonored fan but i agree with Ben on this one, it looks pretty much like the very same game with a few power tweaks and additions, it's hard to see the exciement for that, same is happening with Deus Ex, there is nothing really to get excited about other than the game you already know. These are not pushing their limits, they are playing safe.

mishakoz

Hey everyone,

If you like Tabletop you should check out Patron D&D. Mic quality has improved (Group 1) and it is a lot of laughs in these couple of episodes.

I'm a huge Dishonored fan but i agree with Ben on this one, it looks pretty much like the very same game with a few power tweaks and additions, it's hard to see the excitement for that, same is happening with Deus Ex, there is nothing really to get excited about other than the game you already know. These are not pushing their limits, they are playing safe.

This trend in expectations is what drives me insane about game media/communities in general. Not picking on you or EZA specifically.

When a game franchise nails gameplay I am irritated when people think the game "needs to evolve" or demonstrate something radically new. Dishonored 2 is doing what I think most fans expect. A refinement of the previous game, better graphics, better stealth, a believable story, 2 different playable characters (fully voice acted mind you), more consequences to your actions, and new powers.

I don't think people realize that even a few new powers can totally transform every encounter you are in. Dishonored was a sandbox of pure gameplay bliss. There was a ton of different ways to approach a situation and really creative and fun ways to play.

Like I said before, I don't know what people are expecting here.

sora87

The constant stop/start and awkward commentary definitely hurt the E3 demo of Dishonored 2. I wasn't really feeling it but unlike Huber I did think the past/present mechanic looked nice.

edit - oh hai new page
j4IE1by.gif

Tankard

This trend in expectations is what drives me insane about game media/communities in general. Not picking on you or EZA specifically.

When a game franchise nails gameplay I am irritated when people think the game "needs to evolve" or demonstrate something radically new. Dishonored 2 is doing what I think most fans expect. A refinement of the previous game, better graphics, better stealth, a believable story, 2 different playable characters (fully voice acted mind you), more consequences to your actions, and new powers.

I don't think people realize that even a few new powers can totally transform every encounter you are in. Dishonored was a sandbox of pure gameplay bliss. There was a ton of different ways to approach a situation and really creative and fun ways to play.

Everyone has different expectations, Dishonored was one of my favourite new franchises of last generation, but i recognized it's flaws and my expectation was that they took a few steps forward other than the ones shown with their sequel.
I'm gonna buy it and play the hell of it, it's why i said that in my opinion out of those games mentioned on Frame Trap it might be the one that is Cut, the blowout didn't raise the bar for the game in terms of expectations, but it's probably gonna be one of those releases people think no one cares about it but everyone loves it and sells really well regardless of buzz.

Comet

I agree, but then it's up to the game/dev to showcase what those slightly new abilities can do to gameplay. I think back to the E3 where Halo 2 was first shown and they introduce gameplay with the "anti-son-of-a-bitch stick". That was fan-servicy but then we finally saw the gameplay possibilities of wielding just one new weapon even though the mechanics of Halo 2 were essentially the same as its predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom