• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, that comment threw me off too. Ben is awesome at facilitating interesting discussions.
Yup. Both Ben and Kyle are great hosts. They keep things moving and get the most out of the panel while also getting to say some good points themselves. I've listened to many different gaming podcasts over the years from different places that can't say the same

Mattia

Neo Member
FRU, a kinect game released this week, needs to be in a goup stream. Some jolly quality coop possibilities. (One does the shapes and other controls the character).

giphy.gif

Would love to see that happen! I tried contacting Easy Allies, but to no avail :(

I thought for a long time about how to incentivize each person to want to win the bets, and since I can't control who sits in the middle on any given week, what we have now is really the only solution. I'm not against stopping at 15 though. I think that could be a cool idea if I come up with something interesting to shame the Green Lizards.

In regards to the Nintendo thing, maybe this wasn't clearly communicated, but I believe you buy into a stock when you think the company will grow. Pokémon Go is not possibly replicable. Nintendo's own apps will not perform nearly as well. If you're an investor who thinks this app Nintendo didn't make is going to change everything for Nintendo, I think you're buying in for the wrong reasons. You should buy in because the NX will change the world.

Also, EA publishes Battlefield; Nintendo does not publish Pokémon Go. Weird analogy.

Finally, I don't think the fact that Pewdiepie confirmed that he put "sponsored by Warner Brother"(it still just says one brother) in the description that can only be read if you click "Show More" would have changed our conversation at all. I think we (and the FTC) agreed that you have to be more overt than that.

Did anyone notice what Bosman's title is right now? 😂😂😂

ito007

In regards to the Nintendo thing, maybe this wasn't clearly communicated, but I believe you buy into a stock when you think the company will grow. Pokémon Go is not possibly replicable. Nintendo's own apps will not perform nearly as well. If you're an investor who thinks this app Nintendo didn't make is going to change everything for Nintendo, I think you're buying in for the wrong reasons. You should buy in because the NX will change the world.
These investors could possibly have that understanding, but I think another way of looking at it is more about confidence. Sure Nintendo didn't make the app, but investors buying into their stock suggests that they are confident that Nintendo are going to be a part of better business decisions moving forward. This doesn't necessarily mean they think Nintendo themselves are going to make great apps in the future, but they are at least capable of partnering with the right people at the right time when those apps take place. Whether Nintendo was involved in this game or not, Pokemon is doing well here and that's in Nintendo's best interest because of the way Nintendo aligns themselves in a business sense. Investors think they're getting better at that and will continue to do so moving forward.

I haven't watched this week's podcast yet (tomorrow!), but I've definitely noticed some blurriness on some of the previous videos. Nothing jarring, but it's there if you look for it.
They've flat out said somewhere that only Ian seems to know how to focus cameras properly, so that's probably the problem. If they've got an auto-focus feature on their camera, it's probably locking on to one person and making sure they stay in focus, and not caring about the other people in the scene.

wiibomb

I'll copy and paste the comment I made on youtube about the podcast:

it is also to note that Nintendo also owns a part of Niantic, they have also earning from that company.

That discussion [about pokemon go] made almost no sense and made me somewhat salty, Nintendo didn't produce the Metroid Prime games, but they received earning from Retro's work, Nintendo didn't make Bayonetta 2 yet they payed for it and received earning from it. Its is to note also the Bayonetta 2 case, it wasn't this huge franchise that could sell gazillion of units, yet they made it, why? because it means more than money, it means a brand expansion. THAT is pokemon go, The Pokemon Company (and by extension, Nintendo) doesn't need to made tons of money with Pokemon Go, they need to expand their audience to new horizons.

Kyle... I'm amazed at your judgment in this as one person who I thought considered things that are better than just earning money or receiving credit.

also, as for the shares, I believe this happens all the time as the investors see how the company grows, pokemon is from Nintendo, make no mistake there, the Pokemon Company was originally made to handle this huge franchise, but they are from Nintendo, they own a good chunk of the company. a growth for The Pokemon Company is a growth for Nintendo.

It makes total sense to see the shares skyrocket with these when they themselves own a good chuck of TPC shares.

---

On a different note, thank you for the sponsorship discussion, I actually heard good points. Very different from the completely selfish segment of Kinda Funny where they were just talking about themselves and bragging about their own transparency

I do find the GO discussion kind of interesting. I see where the Allies are coming from, though. Nintendo didn't develop the game through a Treehouse group, they didn't develop the app, they didn't put it out on their own hardware, so it's tough to see why they should get credit. They do own part of the various companies involved, but how many people at Nintendo proper actually did something for this game?

wiibomb

I do find the GO discussion kind of interesting. I see where the Allies are coming from, though. Nintendo didn't develop the game through a Treehouse group, they didn't develop the app, they didn't put it out on their own hardware, so it's tough to see why they should get credit. They do own part of the various companies involved, but how many people at Nintendo proper actually did something for this game?

same with any other pokemon game... they actually never develop these themselves because Gamefreak do them, and even Gamefreak do other games for other parties!

yet Nintendo receives lots of benefits from these pokemon games even if they don't develop them, because Nintendo actually own a part of all this franchise, it is not a third party thing

same with any other pokemon game... they actually never develop these themselves because Gamefreak do them, and even Gamefreak do other games for other parties!

yet Nintendo receives lots of benefits from these pokemon games even if they don't develop them, because Nintendo actually own a part of all this franchise, it is not a third party thing

I feel like you just ignored me saying "it's not on their hardware". Nintendo getting credit for Pokemon is the same as Sony getting credit for Final Fantasy 7-12.

wiibomb

I feel like you just ignored me saying "it's not on their hardware". Nintendo getting credit for Pokemon is the same as Sony getting credit for Final Fantasy 7-12.

and you ignored my "owned" part, Sony doesn't own FF, they just receive the fee from putting the game of their console, the earnings and the shares of those games are from Square Enix, did Eidos developed Tomb Raiser? doesn't matter, Square Enix have them, they have the "parent company credit" for that.

Of course, Nintendo didn't publish Pokemon Go like SE published Tomb Raider, but they own a part of TPC which are the ones who are doing all this, I'm not saying Nintendo is totally the creators of this, only that it makes total sense they are given credit when they themselves are parent companies of TPC and Niantic.

Also, just deviating to the Sony and FF part, if Square suddenly announce: "No more FF games on Sony! We are going only with Nintendo now!" Do you think that won't affect Sony and Nintendo shares? because it would, and they don't own nothing from square. Shares change when anything from a company changes their value, pokemon is from Nintendo too, and it changed with pkm go, even if they did nothing.

mishakoz

Yeah, Nintendo doesnt deserve credit for Pokemon Go. Im surprised they even allowed it. Nintendo has the worst mobile "strategy" consider the amount of popularity releasing old GB games would bring. (See Pokemon Yellow fake released for iOS)

But investors are stupid. GoPro got a boost from Pokemon Go craziness last week.

Burt

The WB thing was directly in response to Shadows of Mordor, right? And they're just getting around to a "Don't do that again... or else something!"?

Kinda feel bad for YouTubers in the whole situation. Not specifically for someone on the PewDiePie tier, but it's like the Wild West is getting civilized and the robber barons and government are getting paid while the people that laid the groundwork are getting crushed.

I'm absolutely not a fan of what the YTers did, but if you exist in that unregulated space (even now), its do or die. I saw a lot of popular streamers and YTers that are actually usually very good in terms of honesty and frankness straight up dropping commercials in the middle of streams and videos for Mordor, and it was gross (even without knowing about whole non-disclosure of bugs and negative impressions), but most of them really do live at the whim of publishers. And now, WB gets of scot-free and there's a black mark on a lot of content producers who are reliant on a more direct, reputation-based relationship with their audience.

Long story short, Patreon is cool.

And yeah, I'm with Bosman on Pokemon Go not being as big for Nintendo as the market is making it out to be. It's great visibility, and I'm sure Nintendo's more than happy to be making the money of it that it is, but it's not a replicable phenomenon, they aren't making as much as you might assume at first, and it definitely doesn't signal the sort of pivot that would put in Nintendo a legitimate spot in the mobile space.

llehuty

I think this is actually going to give a big boost to pokemon sun/moon if nintendo plays their cards properly.

Heck, I even expect a Pokken bump. I'm seeing a lot of people talking about pokemon go when is not even officially released here. It's also making people talk about their first pokemon games and everything.

They are not going to be able to repeat this event again (although a Nintendo movie could also make some waves), but it's putting some spotligh in Nintendo when they probably need it the most.

Massa

Sure, but why digging that up again?
Ah, well, it doesn't really matter anyway, forget I said something.

I should have worked at that time instead of coming to here anyway.

That injustice against Bosman is now a historic moment in EZA's history. People will jokingly refer to it for years to come.

wiibomb

That injustice against Bosman is now a historic moment in EZA's history. People will jokingly refer to it for years to come.

Excuse me? The Jury declared with swift and hard justice, there are some ignorants who still believe Kyle was innocent and I still don't understand that delusional thinking. The truth spoke on that fated day

Liamc723

I wish Kyle would be more imaginative with the podcast bets.

75% of them amount to "How many times will we see this word in a review?"

Massa

Excuse me? The Jury declared with swift and hard justice, there are some ignorants who still believe Kyle was innocent and I still don't understand that delusional thinking. The truth spoke on that fated day

Oh, really? So when is Kyle playing LTTP again... oh right, even Huber recognized he was wrong and absolved Kyle of his sham of a trial.

wiibomb

Oh, really? So when is Kyle playing LTTP again... oh right, even Huber recognized he was wrong and absolved Kyle of his sham of a trial.

Because our savior Huber wisely realized that Kyle would just weasel out that playthrough until the end of times, he took the honorable path and dealt himself with the burden of a stake that Kyle just would refuse to take.

Huber is the hero here, the hero!

WaterAstro

Because our savior Huber wisely realized that Kyle would just weasel out that playthrough until the end of times, he took the honorable path and dealt himself with the burden of a stake that Kyle just would refuse to take.

Huber is the hero here, the hero!

I don't favor Huber or Bosman. It's just that Huber wrote a terrible contract.

It didn't even contain the word "play" in it. How can you get someone to play a game if you don't specify "play" in the contract.

Ultimadrago

Law better be soooo dead come next Tabletop Escapades. lol

I want him attacking a troll with high morale head-on.)Trolls can get fired up, right? Sentient?)

dickroach

Idea for next week's bet: Will the new Sonic game revealed on 7/22 feature at least one human character?

edit: wait a minute, that's not how bets work. but something with the new Sonic at least

I'd really love it if we could get TTEs on Tuesdays instead of Weds. Having both TTE and Patrons early access podcast release the same day along with the weds stream watching always creates a backlog for me.

It's complicated in that they have large ownership stakes in Niantic, The Pokemon company AND Creature. I'm not a mathematician, but sustained success for Pokemon Go will certainly be a financial windfall for Nintendo. The market reaction is like Ian suggested, not entirely rational, but investors are seeing how a traditionally Nintendo property has the ability to explode when not trapped on proprietary hardware. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are both poised to be enormous successes in at least Japan. They represent genres that absolutely dominate that region on mobile.

Lexad

I'd really love it if we could get TTEs on Tuesdays instead of Weds. Having both TTE and Patrons early access podcast release the same day along with the weds stream watching always creates a backlog for me.

I do agree with this, or just any other day honestly. Preferably Thursday because Tuesday and Wednesday are stacked for me on the podcast front.

wapplew

New episode of Huber Syndrome - Make Me Emotional
Also NO more couch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xbn6JYJVgY

Kinda agree with Huber here.
Story is important part of my gaming enjoyment recently, maybe because I got old or I've played most of the gameplay mechanic and level design and those hardly motivate me anymore, or should I say those skinner box stop working for me.
Still enjoy pure fun games thou, but mostly multiplayer pure fun games. Need good story for my single player

It's really weird argument though, because DQ games don't really have 'great' stories. VIII itself has amazing characters and is a true work of art to look at, buts it's actual driving narrative is not only super simple but also has huge downtime where there can be like a dozen hours between the main plot points connecting.

wapplew

It's really weird argument though, because DQ games don't really have 'great' stories. VIII itself has amazing characters and is a true work of art to look at, buts it's actual driving narrative is not only super simple but also has huge downtime where there can be like a dozen hours between the main plot points connecting.

Amazing character is in the same book for me. Like TLOU story is somewhat cliche but characters and writing is amazing, same for Persona series, great characters make it enjoyable.

I got around to listen to last weeks podcast episode. That was the one that made Damiani quit the podcast, after people complained, right? Is that still a thing or is he coming back?

I'm also sorry to start with this again, but the podcast is getting too long again. I was hoping with a second, 2 hour podcast, there was no need for the main podcast to go over 60 minutes. With FrameTrap being as excellent as it is (thank you, Ben!), I was sure it would also satisfy most fans.

But the recent episodes went well over the 60 minutes mark. It's a shame for me, because it's part of what makes the podcast special for me (as I always mention). A well moderated gaming podcast, focusing on news and events in the games industry. It's not something we have a lot of and Kyle always does it exceptionally well. It would be great if it could get back on that track again.

I got around to listen to last weeks podcast episode. That was the one that made Damiani quit the podcast, after people complained, right? Is that still a thing or is he coming back?

I'm also sorry to start with this again, but the podcast is getting too long again. I was hoping with a second, 2 hour podcast, there was no need for the main podcast to go over 60 minutes. With FrameTrap being as excellent as it is (thank you, Ben!), I was sure it would also satisfy most fans.

But the recent episodes went well over the 60 minutes mark. It's a shame for me, because it's part of what makes the podcast special for me (as I always mention). A well moderated gaming podcast, focusing on news and events in the games industry. It's not something we have a lot of and Kyle always does it exceptionally well. It would be great if it could get back on that track again.

Not to be dismissive of your opinion, but it would seem you are the minority in that opinion. Seems most crave more and more from the comments I read.

Not to be dismissive of your opinion, but it would seem you are the minority in that opinion. Seems most crave more and more from the comments I read.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I really don't think that more is always better. The podcast had a great and unique format that made it stand out, when compared to the others out there. Back then with GT Time, I could understand people clamoring for more and more, but now we have FrameTrap with an always great panel and good, long discussions that go beyond just games (it hits a great balance between the EZA podcast and Mandatory Update Nights). That's why I would really appreciate it, if the EZA Podcast could go back being mainly news focused and discussions around that. How I see it, it's a good selling point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom