• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I much prefer solo streams myself. The only ones I consistently watch are Dumb Game Monday and Bos v Woz.

Maybe if youre watching live on twitch, but watching them on youtube they're missing something. Ben and Blood are about the only guys who read chat's questions before answering the question, otherwise you just have these random chats though the stream where you don't have both sides of the conversation.

Kasper

Maybe if youre watching live on twitch, but watching them on youtube they're missing something. Ben and Blood are about the only guys who read chat's questions before answering the question, otherwise you just have these random chats though the stream where you don't have both sides of the conversation.

I am only able to watch them after they happened, and I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Hasney

I kind of don't like the name of Frame Trap for the podcast because it's an existing actual thing that has a meaning.

But that meaning fits, they're all trapped there in that frame to talk about suff, while also being an in-joke.

I'd complain if it wasn't a video podcast.

I kind of don't like the name of Frame Trap for the podcast because it's an existing actual thing that has a meaning.

I understand this, but every episode of FT has a title and a description that provides clear insight into what we'll be talking about. This is true regardless of where you listen/watch it. On YT, there's also a thumb that shows one of the games we'll be talking about. Maybe people disagree (and if they do I definitely want to hear it), but I think there are many, many signs that indicate FT is not a fighting game podcast.

fastmower

I understand this, but every episode of FT has a title and a description that provides clear insight into what we'll be talking about. This is true regardless of where you listen/watch it. On YT, there's also a thumb that shows one of the games we'll be talking about. Maybe people disagree (and if they do I definitely want to hear it), but I think there are many, many signs that indicate FT is not a fighting game podcast.
The name Frame Trap makes me happy every time I hear it. Take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for the XIV feedback. The idea was the present it as raw as possible and see everyone's reaction. At the moment, it seems to have appeal with hardcore XIV players, but as pointed out, it doesn't have a hook with the average gamer. Also I hear you loud and clear on the "please explain stuff more" feedback. Will definitely keep that in mind. The "2nd" episode was supposed to be Tam-Tara, but I'm thinking now about re-thinking the content we do and how we experience it together.

The main issue is right now, Brad, me, Ben, and Brandon actually play XIV enough to do much of the content competently. Ian has dabbled in the game a bit, too. But everyone else would need serious training wheels, but more importantly, they haven't put in the time to unlock most of the content in the game. And in fact, aside from me, I doubt any one else in the EZA team has current stuff unlocked. Even racing through the MSQ of a single patch takes ~ 30-60 mins depending on your familiarity with the game. So most of the EZA staff would have to put in a significant amount of time to participate as a group.

There we some good suggestions thrown out, like for us to start over and do this as an RP/Story experience where you play/react to major events/fights. However, I'm worried that the story is more of a solo experience than a group experience, and not sure how it will translate into a video with group commentary. I think it would work as a Retro/Timeline style video, though. Any attempt at a commentary style video would probably end up like a Depths on the lore of the game or something. However, as much as I like XIV's story, I don't stay playing it because of the plot. I wouldn't feel very interested in just doing a show solely about XIV's story each week, so the main driver for this XIV show isn't too interested in this concept.

Another idea was to start over, but sorta make routine videos explaining people the game and easing them into FF XIV. While this actually is a great idea for video content, my concern here is this has already been done. There are amazing guides/walkthroughs that explain just about everything in FF XIV that you can find on YouTube done by great people in the community. And to be honest, they are aimed at people who are going to be invested in XIV, not a casual player who just wants to dip their toes into the pool. And making a more, sorry to say, shallow video explanation of the basics isn't going to really set the world on fire or be that entertaining, IMO.

I'll be honest, I saw these videos (latest one): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o723bHrZoUo and was like, "we need to do something like this but with EZA guys who aren't as hardcore into the game, and the hook will be that it's just a bunch of casuals trying to do MMO stuff and failing miserably". But yea, these players have been together for awhile, so they have good chemistry. So that's something that needs to be worked on from our end.

So, some good suggestions for what to do, but an idea I am considering...

1) Bring the allies together at Jones' place for an hour or so, and try to have the allies go through hard content and see how well the fare. And we would all play on my account (shhh, don't tell SE) so they'd have access to the content. Basically they would queue up or I'd get 7 other friends online to make a party with my character, and then give each EZA member like a few pulls to see how they fare. And since I have most every job at 50 or 60, there's a lot of content they could try out. Would just record their reactions and gameplay, and cut a highlight real.

Otherwise, we'll just have to work on the chemistry of the existing format and do a better job of explaining what's going on and maybe trim down the videos even further to reduce the repetitive nature of combat a times. We also need to get Brad on (he had PC issues) since he has a great personality and fits well with Ben, and also we need to get Huber tanking for us on Episode 3 (or the next episode if we scrap/redo Tam-Tara). We can add in a bit of lore behind the dungeon - like why we are there, what's going on, and explaining the basic mechanics we're using. I'l also make sure my camera (and others) are a bit more zoomed in -- I am so zoomed out because that's how you play MMOs, but it doesn't make for a very entertaining viewpoint.

Anyway, will mull this over and think about what to do next, but definitely going to keep this going. We have to at least do the Titan EX episode...

hHLVVms.png
hHLVVms.png
hHLVVms.png
hHLVVms.png
hHLVVms.png

Edit: Lmao, someone got Huber a battle axe.

Karu

Haven't seen the Pilot because lack of interest, but it would be awesome if you can work in the feedback somewhat and make the show more appealing. Depending on how the hardcore audience is and how much work an episode needs, I wouldn't be too worried either way, though. Not every show has to be for everybody =)

On another note: It's 3 am. The sun was burning all day, my room is hell, can't sleep... Live Group Stream it is. =) :D

lol Hasney sent them a Money in the Bank briefcase and now someone sent Huber a freaking battle axe. Like, an ACTUAL axe! A metal axe! Ya'll crazy.

Someone child-proof that axe for Huber.

Karu

lol Hasney sent them a Money in the Bank briefcase and now someone sent Huber a freaking battle axe. Like, an ACTUAL axe! A metal axe! Ya'll crazy.

Someone child-proof that axe for Huber.
The axe made me feel incredibly uneasy while they were giving it around, omg. :D

Hasney

Thanks for the XIV feedback....

Yeah, I think some of it will come naturally. I barely talked to people while doing the MSQ dungeons early on, even with friends, because I was thinking about how to play, learning a rotation and basically just trying not to fuck up. Maybe meet up in a town and wander around and talk about the dungeon you're about to do beforehand or something and splice things in, say Ben says something like "I heard this was easy!" in the town *cut to Ben dying in the dungeon*. Would add more editing time though!

If you don't have it down by episode 500 of the relic quest, consider giving up then since most of it will be people yelling WHY WON'T YOU DROP.... Ughhh, why is that thought making me want to play it again?!

We have to at least do the Titan EX episode...

Oh no.... I'm going to have PTSD.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am looking forward to see Huber stream For Honor with that huge ass axe on his back.

Anyway, will mull this over and think about what to do next, but definitely going to keep this going. We have to at least do the Titan EX episode...

Oh god yes; that will make for hilarious viewing.

IMO, it's probably things like that which will make for the best kind of show and be most accessible to those unfamiliar with the game; watching the team's sodium levels rise in difficult fights, or exploring the more unique quests like the murder mystery you and Ian played through on Easy Update.

Feels like TTE Episode 1 was only yesterday and we already at ep16. Time does fly.

Considering I started after the Bosman trial got compared to
Law's
about a week or a week and a half ago, it certainly does seem that way to me XD.

This is the first episode I've had to wait for, so I'm feeling a heightened level of suspence because unlike before I have no inkling of an idea of what could be coming. I hope
Law emerges from battle victorious

Hasney

Oh man, these Law rolls are a rollercoaster.

EDIT: Oh shit, that was the end of the shoot and ended on a cliffhanger. Huber must have been wondering all this time for like a month!

WarRock

Podcast #17 is fascinating. The whole talk about Evolve and how it is was received vs its infamy thanks to marketing and DLC reminded me of Street Fighter x Tekken immediately.

About Pokemon GO being a fad or not, one thing they didn't consider is, what about possible rip offs? A meatier, more stable game (and with better interface), though with less nostalgia or charisma appeal, could shake things up?

Also loved Kyle getting mad at Jones doing a bit that wasn't from a movie =D

Lexad

Considering I started after the Bosman trial got compared to
Law's
about a week or a week and a half ago, it certainly does seem that way to me XD.

This is the first episode I've had to wait for, so I'm feeling a heightened level of suspence because unlike before I have no inkling of an idea of what could be coming. I hope
Law emerges from battle victorious
I hope he dies for the laughs

sora87

I think Huber is gonna love Stranger Things when he pulls himself away from Deus Ex, so good, I want those Frame Trap impressions from him

Burt

I think Huber is gonna love Stranger Things when he pulls himself away from Deus Ex, so good, I want those Frame Trap impressions from him

Someone gave him an axe

I put the odds of him not being in the hospital by the weekend when they do Frame Trap at 1 in 3.

prophecy0

This week's tabletop escapades was fantastic. I can't wait to find out what happens.
I thought Law would die much quicker than this. He actually has a chance!

Now to listen to the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom