• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
CG trailers are what concept cars are to the auto industry. People understand that the final game is not going to look like the CG reveal trailer, so that certainly isn't the problem.

Bull.Shit.

Activision fought tooth and nail not to have "not gameplay" on CG trailers. If it was so clear that it was just a concept, then their COD2 trailer wouldn't have been so insidious.

Car makers don't have concept cars in their TV spots.

brawly

Qe2lWIQ.gif

Are the patreon subs the ones that they shoutout? Or twitch? Now I need to watch everything :eek:

Anyone see my name dropped please tell me.

Kneefoil

Are the patreon subs the ones that they shoutout? Or twitch? Now I need to watch everything :eek:

Patreon has patrons, Twitch has subs. The shoutouts are made for the latter when they send their sub notifications in the chat.

cm osi

for twitch, you'll have to subscribe to their twitch account. otherwise brandon will read patreons names at the end of the podcast (i think once a month?) for the 10 dollars tier or superior

btw is their very first stream archived somewhere? the one they did when the patreon was just launched. i can't find it on the channel

sora87

Damn, it's been pretty heated in here past few pages, I'm finding it hard to deal with the heatwave here in the uk let alone all this :p

I've fallen down the well in WoW again and their streams are helping me get some grinding done on alts <3

where you get that gif

for twitch, you'll have to subscribe to their twitch account. otherwise brandon will read patreons names at the end of the podcast (i think once a month?) for the 10 dollars tier or superior

btw is their very first stream archived somewhere? the one they did when the patreon was just launched. i can't find it on the channel
The archive settings weren't turned on for Twitch when we started so we had to get it from another source. Plus for the first couple weeks we were archiving to the main channel. It's in the beginning of the Easy Allies Plays playlist though.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

MrMette

I think it's important to differentiate between giant Day 1 patches that fundamentally change the game and add features like the NMS one, and smaller ones that simply offer bug fixes and performance boosts. The former shouldn't happen IMO - just finish your damn game. On that count, I agree with what Damiani was saying. Seems like FFXV's patch would've been pretty significant, so it's probably a good decision to delay the game.

Like the Deus Ex Day one patch which is almost 4GB? To be honest, I don't really care. I understand why those patches exist. In the "old days" games came out when they were ready, but there wasn't a set date most of the time and games weren't advertised that much (only that they were coming).

With how much money is riding on games nowadays, publishers have to release those games on specific moments to maximize their profit. It is not the devs fault that day one patches exists, but the marketing and the publishers.

With how complicated games are, how tight the schedules are and how easily most of their audience can download those patches anyway, it is quite understandable/normal they keep working after the game goes gold as this happens some weeks to months before the game releases. If they delay the game, they get bad press/reactions and the publishers are not happy and if they release a day one patch they only get bad press/reactions. With the way the internet reacts nowadays, I would be afraid to release a game and would probably find an other job (I don't work in the industry, but the reactions are completely over the top imo).

I am glad day one patches exist to be honest. I also commend what FF XV is doing right now, but I am a bit afraid the game really needed the extra time. I really hope it will be good.

(btw, I didn't see the latest podcast yet, so I don't know with who I am agreeing on this one (I will watch it tomorrow evening), but imo people are really over-exaggerating about almost everything which has to do with gaming, just play the games)

Everyone, Huber just reminded me that Batman The Animated Series is available to watch on Amazon Prime. I haven't watched the full episode yet, so maybe he mentions that.

I'd like to use my prove it card at this time.

http://jalopnik.com/how-they-shoot-a-car-commercial-without-the-actual-car-1782499530

http://www.3dexcite.com/en/work/references/my-toyota-television-commercial-in-cgi

http://www.carphotographer.net/car-photography/lexus-gs-advert-the-making-of/

http://www.news.com.au/technology/d...t-of-advertising/story-e6frfro0-1225785684127

Most big budget films use mostly CGI cars in their chase scenes as well. It's a cost saving measure as well as much safer. (That goes for most exterior shots of vehicles unless you're Chris Nolan)

EDIT: Removed the snark.

All of those sources talk about new technology and how car commercials could be fully CG. None of them make it sound like CG is the overwhelming norm.
How many are fully computer-generated? "Up to 20 per cent at the most."

Blood, any thought on the podcast moving to Friday or something since that way the news for the "week" will be mostly over?

It can then be discussed instead of having to wait for next week every week with all the announcements that tend to happen right after you guys record?

Hasney

Blood, any thought on the podcast moving to Friday or something since that way the news for the "week" will be mostly over?

It can then be discussed instead of having to wait for next week every week with all the announcements that tend to happen right after you guys record?

Happens on all podcasts. We said the exact same thing about GT Time when that came on a Thursday/Friday. Logistically makes sense too as Tuesday is the only day they're all together every week.

The only podcast that now gets away with it is the Giant Bombcast, due to them doing it live. But they record on a Tuesday too.

Philippo

I know the aim of the episode, but only name-dropping Heart of Ice is not enough, it deserves itw own episode.
Still one of the things that makes me cry the most.

Also HOLY SHIT THE LORE IS BACK

Bull.Shit.

Activision fought tooth and nail not to have "not gameplay" on CG trailers. If it was so clear that it was just a concept, then their COD2 trailer wouldn't have been so insidious.

Car makers don't have concept cars in their TV spots.

Do you have a more recent example of CGI trailers being passed on as pure gameplay? I don't follow trailers that much anymore (RIP Trailer Score), but I thought we were past that practice in this industry.

I like your example better, though.

Kinda related fun fact: 75% of the images in the Ikea catalog are rendered.

Is somebody writing down short summaries of Tabletop Escapades episodes ("the plot so far")?

I am usually listening to them while I am doing something else, and often times I miss something or just need a short recap of what happened the last episodes.

I'm too busy with my Tabletop Adventures novelization.

The bummer about Vita memory card prices is that I believe that is almost entirely a result of retailer appeasement. They didn't love the way PSP went where after a few years people stopped buying games because piracy was so rampant. High margin memory cards were a way for them to still make money even if digital games sales or piracy became the norm on Vita.

Personally, as a Vita owner since a few months after launch, I've saved so much on games thanks to PS Plus and PSN sales that paying a lot for a memory card is insignificant in the grand scheme. And splurging on a memory card for a Vita model you'll never have a reason to replace is a lot cheaper than rebuying Nintendo handhelds everytime they release a new model to fix a flaw or add capabilities.

learn to accept opinions you don't agree.

I actually think Damiani was amazing this week, discussion is exactly what I like about podcasts and he was killing at it

Seriously. I thought Damiani was a bit stilted when he first came back but he's perfectly fine now. I'm so sick of seeing people complain about him for no reason at all.

The only thing that really annoyed me on the podcast was that first L&R question. It just seemed like such a narrow-minded, naive perspective of the industry (or business in general). There are plenty of good reasons why developers might want to announce their games early. I imagine Hello Games pretty much had to do it when they did because a) Who knows if they'd get a second chance to do it at something like the Game Awards and b) After Joe Danger 2 bombed hard, I can't imagine they had that much left in the bank, so they probably had to chase new investors (like Sony) to keep the lights on for the next three years. Square Enix, on the other hand, announced the FFVII Remake so early because they were worried about the state of the console industry in Japan and wanted to try and encourage growth. Both are valid reasons IMO.

As for day one patches, to me they make a lot of sense because there's like 4-6 weeks between when they finish a game and when it comes out, so they may as well continue to improve it for launch. It also helps that my PSN download speeds are super fast. At the same time though, I also have no issue with Square Enix delaying FFXV to make sure they get those fixes on the disc. That's their choice and I think it'll probably turn out for the best. It just sucks it ended up clashing with Gravity Rush 2's release.

Last but not least, a boo-urns to Huber's The Dark Knight Returns recommendation on Huber Syndrome. OVER! RATED! And over-exposed. Should've gone with Paul Dini's run on Detective Comics to fit with the Batman TAS theme. Otherwise, good episode. The DCAU is the best superhero universe in any form.

UrbanRats

So damiani would rather wait 2 months for ffxv rather than 5 hours.

Makes sense.
(good) Internet is not as ubiquitous as some people think, especially on the global scale.
Waiting two months to give the chance to people with no or shitty internet to enjoy a working game is a decent thing to do.
I think that's the most important factor here.

Hasney

And let's be pretty clear here, I'm betting there will still be an XV day one patch anyway, albeit smaller. If they went gold now, it would be unlikely that it would be possible to finish the game in its current state if rumours about only 2 hours being playable a month ago are to be believed.

And let's be pretty clear here, I'm betting there will still be an XV day one patch anyway, albeit smaller. If they went gold now, it would be unlikely that it would be possible to finish the game in its current state if rumours about only 2 hours being playable a month ago are to be believed.

I would be surprised if XV wouldn't get a Day 1 patch at launch. But the difference is going to be the playable state the game ships in. I assume that you're not going to need the day 1 patch to have a great experience with the game on disc vs. the day 1 patch being essential for the performance, stability and balancing. It's a big difference, imo, and I wish more publishers would let developers ship their games in that state.

Penguin

Huber, I would love to have more batman the animated series. But does Paul Dini want to work on it more (god I hope so).

Was gonna make a thread in OT

But after he said it, thought about it and I don't want more BTAS

As much as I love the show, it had an amazing run, created an universe and had a pretty decent ending.... twice

And Dini still loves working with DC, he does Justice League Action, and Timm still digs it since helped out with GLTAS and does the animated movies from time to time.

All of those sources talk about new technology and how car commercials could be fully CG. None of them make it sound like CG is the overwhelming norm.

I shouldn't have said "fully CGI", but if you read the article my point stands. The poster I responded to basically made a point about car commercials having to show real cars for the sake of their viewers and my point is that "up to 90 percent" of car commercials use CGI to assist their commercials.

Sounds kinda like gaming in terms of percentage, doesn't it?

Also, I'm not up to date on my Huber lore? Are the masks significant in some way?

wiibomb

Hasney are you planning on creating a thread for the Deus Ex retrospective?

I think that's front page material and some good exposure

I was thinking about this earlier today... I think it is worth.

also, what about a EZA podcast thread? is that allowed here to make on the Gaming Discussion part?

I was thinking about this earlier today... I think it is worth.

also, what about a EZA podcast thread? is that allowed here to make on the Gaming Discussion part?

About that EZA podcast this week: is it delayed for people on the free tier (not paying for early access) because of the Deus Ex retrospective? Heard on twitter that they were up late last night putting up the final touches on the retrospective....

About that EZA podcast this week: is it delayed for people on the free tier (not paying for early access) because of the Deus Ex retrospective? Heard on twitter that they were up late last night putting up the final touches on the retrospective....
Shouldn't. The podcast is already on YouTube they just have to flip the settings to be public. I think Kyle does that and he's not involved in the retrospective

I shouldn't have said "fully CGI", but if you read the article my point stands. The poster I responded to basically made a point about car commercials having to show real cars for the sake of their viewers and my point is that "up to 90 percent" of car commercials use CGI to assist their commercials.

Sounds kinda like gaming in terms of percentage, doesn't it?

Also, I'm not up to date on my Huber lore? Are the masks significant in some way?

The point is beside the point at this point. You were issued a prove it ticket. You provided documentation about the use of CGI cars in various ways, but nothing to back up the percentage.

wiibomb

The point is beside the point at this point. You were issued a prove it ticket. You provided documentation about the use of CGI cars in various ways, but nothing to back up the percentage.

judge blood has spoken

hard and swift justice was issued and you lost the werehogs GamingOblivion

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Damiani is a Mario Kart pro gamer. He turned Luigi into some scary predator. (*insert mandatory Luigi death stare gif*)

judge blood has spoken

hard and swift justice was issued and you lost the werehogs GamingOblivion

Ooooooh The ruling is in.

GamingOblivion lost all his werehogs!

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Yes, I totally pulled a Sean Murray here.

Finished the podcast. Good discussions all around but what I want to focus on is Brad. I love when Brad gets into "Too cool" mode. Every time he calls people nerds or dorks it cracks me up. His outlook on life is pretty great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom