• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone creating a thread for the retrospective? I can if no-one else has claimed it.

Crap, already did.

Whoops. Didn't bother to check this thread. My bad.

Fuck. Want me to add something to the front of it? If you had some awesome first post, post it here. I'll replace mine entirely.

BBboy20

Think Ben said they'll be getting deep on Frame Trap, so it may not be touched on to a massive degree on the podcast. Worth noting for expectations
like before NMS came out
Watching that Crowbcat video, it did look like Jones was dogpiled by Ben and Ian during that NMS debate at last year's E3. Maybe both Ben & Ian also got caught with the hype anyways because No Man's Sky has become the new lesson to learn about anticipating "Hype" from here on out and Jones was right on the money in the end. Also interesting both Jones and Ben's tunes have changed but somewhat in the reverse order.

Damiani is a Mario Kart pro gamer. He turned Luigi into some scary predator. (*insert mandatory Luigi death stare gif*)
b03qzdvhttrstezb93kx.gif

Auctopus

God, the Youtube comments for the podcast are awful. I hate this whole dialog of us vs them when it comes to players/consumers and the developers/publishers.

Auctopus

Meh, the L&R question about developers & consumers shows the community is just as bad. The idea of games changing in development is "eating away at his gut". God, some people just need to take a step back.

Brad nails the answer in the first minute.

That Retrospective was so good. Can't wait for part 2.

My only criticism and it's really just a little niggle, was when talking about invisible war it starts with "Alex can do this, an upgrade can allow Alex to that etc"...before introducing us to Alex or telling us the game had a new protagonist.

ventura2099

Neo Member
As always I was eating my meal and enjoying my Easy Allies Podcast video and I've kinda dozzed off and started to think to way back when GT was becoming something more...I was trying to figure out when did thid medium became something else entirely, you know, something with a soul.

I can't pinpoint when exactly, but something that stuck with me through all these years is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUgZLHD7Ds

This young Kyle trying to do something more with his on time screen. This "Lutece Interview" was so fun, so different than what other websites were accustomed to do.

This probably wasn't the first video that brough my attention to this awesome crew, but its one of those that stuck with me till now.

also, i kinda remember seeing the first "FINAL BOSMAN" and by the end of the show I was like "Oh my god, how can this be the last one?? This is amazing, there should be more!" And I went on to search for more and finding none and being kinda depressed because it seemed so refreshing from other things..

Anyways, I've been following this thread for quite a while and I don't feel like overcrowding my thoughts - which are similar to so many others - but I felt like something like this should be shared.

Thanks for the whole crew and this awesome community.

Auctopus

I saw a few people asking about one so I think I'll take the job of creating an episode catch-up summary for Tabletop Escapades.

I'll put it on a Google Doc or something.

i dont usually watch the streams but i gotta say the mario kart tourney was so hype! watching it evokes so much joy, wish my friends are more hype.

arkon

Bit late to it as I've only just caught the youtube archive but I really enjoyed the group stream of Mario Kart 64's battle mode, I knew it'd have the potential to be a really good watch. It's my favourite battle mode so it was good to see them getting hyped and into it even if they weren't too familiar with the game. The finish in the finals was spectacular but I'm more interested in the glitch that Damiani had with his ghost and last balloon. That was... odd and not something I've seen before or if I have I've blanked from memory.
Also a shame they didn't seem to take to Block Fort as that was always our favourite map.

As far as the Damiani camping complaints go from the last few pages, I'd understand it if it was a different game under discussion but this is a split-screen Mario Kart game. You know exactly where he is. There's no position in any of the four maps that is unassailable. He's leaving himself wide open to all sorts of shenanigans. Like Huber said, charge him and don't let him sit. We always found in our battle mode games that sitting still for too long invariably led to an early death because you're that much easier to hit with a star or even green shell, and usually when you got hit once everybody piled in and you were gone in a flash. I suppose camping like that is more viable in a 1vs1 situationn but the above still applies. I think it worked in this instance because Damiani was clearly better than the rest of them but they also let him get away with it.

Would love to see them revisit this again at some point in the future. It's just so good.

As always I was eating my meal and enjoying my Easy Allies Podcast video and I've kinda dozzed off and started to think to way back when GT was becoming something more...I was trying to figure out when did thid medium became something else entirely, you know, something with a soul.

I can't pinpoint when exactly, but something that stuck with me through all these years is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUgZLHD7Ds

This young Kyle trying to do something more with his on time screen. This "Lutece Interview" was so fun, so different than what other websites were accustomed to do.

This probably wasn't the first video that brough my attention to this awesome crew, but its one of those that stuck with me till now.

also, i kinda remember seeing the first "FINAL BOSMAN" and by the end of the show I was like "Oh my god, how can this be the last one?? This is amazing, there should be more!" And I went on to search for more and finding none and being kinda depressed because it seemed so refreshing from other things..

Anyways, I've been following this thread for quite a while and I don't feel like overcrowding my thoughts - which are similar to so many others - but I felt like something like this should be shared.

Thanks for the whole crew and this awesome community.

Kyle's PlayStation Meeting Dos and Don'ts video was what caught my attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83yQrBEYJ2w

They started becoming more personality focused earlier than that though.

I saw a few people asking about one so I think I'll take the job of creating an episode catch-up summary for Tabletop Escapades.

I'll put it on a Google Doc or something.

I want to get into this podcast but the problem is that the 1st episode includes so much facts and so many characters that it is hard to keep track of it all when you are just listening to it all for the first time.

Is there some sort of wiki that includes the details of the world for TTE?

What I love about these retrospectives is the history and information that GT/EZA provides in these vids. For this specific series, I didn't even get to play the original Deus Ex as it was released in 2000. I was only 9 or 10 years old. No way would my parents let me play such a video game when I was that old. I am glad that I can enjoy these classics and find out how influential these video games were to creating the modern video game mechanics and genres that we enjoy today.

Great vids, glad that Patreons were able to support EZA to bringing back such a cherished part of GT. Awesome work as always! Loved every minute of this vid and will continue to watch every single part of this series as soon as it is released on YT.

learn to accept opinions you don't agree.

I actually think Damiani was amazing this week, discussion is exactly what I like about podcasts and he was killing at it

For real. Only twenty minutes or so in but Damiani speaks sense on this episode. Jones trying to shut him down when he's making legit arguments by calling him a troll was... annoying. Jones got his opportunity to make his opinion about the day one patch stuff and the embargo skirting known last time, maybe he's just trying to keep the show interesting and break up the rant but I was sort of rolling my eyes at his interjections for that part.

Not sure how I like the prove it card, though. I haven't seen how Brad will use it this episode, but last episode showed it to be a bit of a pain in the butt, I think, where regardless of whether or not the person who receives the card is right or wrong, their argument is shut down, the wind is taken out of their sales, the conversation moves on while they fuck around on their phone. "Prove it" isn't a challenge in this context, it's just a conversation ender.

Wow, that Easy Update was something. I had a really good laugh.

For real. Only twenty minutes or so in but Damiani speaks sense on this episode. Jones trying to shut him down when he's making legit arguments by calling him a troll was... annoying. Jones got his opportunity to make his opinion about the day one patch stuff and the embargo skirting known last time, maybe he's just trying to keep the show interesting and break up the rant but I was sort of rolling my eyes at his interjections for that part.

Not sure how I like the prove it card, though. I haven't seen how Brad will use it this episode, but last episode showed it to be a bit of a pain in the butt, I think, where regardless of whether or not the person who receives the card is right or wrong, their argument is shut down, the wind is taken out of their sales, the conversation moves on while they fuck around on their phone. "Prove it" isn't a challenge in this context, it's just a conversation ender.

Yeah, Jones was super annoying in that part. You could see that Damiani was trying to be reasonable and sincere and Jones went all in on the "nah, you're just trolling because that's what you do".

sinxtanx

I want to get into this podcast but the problem is that the 1st episode includes so much facts and so many characters that it is hard to keep track of it all when you are just listening to it all for the first time.

I don't really think about any of that when watching

all those facts and characters are rapidly discarded in exchange for "shenanigans" leading to an entirely different type of adventure than the first episode may imply

important stuff gets brought up when important stuff happens

arkon

It's not that bad. That first lore dump is establishing setting and initial motivations for the characters. Any important places or names you need to know are revisited when they pop up in the episodes with additional details given where relevant. It's really not that different to the opening episode of a new TV show in that sense. I don't think that many characters are introduced to be honest.

In other words just keep watching. It'll all fall into place.

UrbanRats

Ian going full Malick.
--

BTW, Blood since you read these pages: Have you guys planned anything for that Vive? I guess it's hard to set up since you don't have a studio, but i imagine you could fit it in someone's house, or at least use it in seated experiences?

Hasney

Ian going full Malick.
--

BTW, Blood since you read these pages: Have you guys planned anything for that Vive? I guess it's hard to set up since you don't have a studio, but i imagine you could fit it in someone's house, or at least use it in seated experiences?

With how much space they cleared to get in the E3 desk, it should be doable there to play it. But features and that then add another complexity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom