• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankard

PuPDcri.gif

Lol, too good.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
does the settle it stream on a link to the past include any actual discussion? i watched the beginning and then skipped to the end for the final boss and the actual "settling it" bit, but there did not seem to be much. bosman tried to make some points they might agree on, but damiani didn't really say anything except call it the best 2d game of all time. of course i understand that talking with someone who does not like a link to the past is like talking to a crazy person, but there seemed to be very little of what might be called "settling it" or even meaningful conversation.

based on what i watched, damiani also seemed to flat out ignore many of the things bosman said.

does the settle it stream on a link to the past include any actual discussion? i watched the beginning and then skipped to the end for the final boss and the actual "settling it" bit, but there did not seem to be much. bosman tried to make some points they might agree on, but damiani didn't really say anything except call it the best 2d game of all time. of course i understand that talking with someone who does not like a link to the past is like talking to a crazy person, but there seemed to be very little of what might be called "settling it" or even meaningful conversation.

based on what i watched, damiani also seemed to flat out ignore many of the things bosman said.
Well the majority of what Kyle would say is "bad Sprite" over and over. And "I don't like this perspective or this song"

Not a lot to work with after the first time he mentions it. And Kyle was on thin ice a lot as he's trying to bash one Zelda game while saying he loves SS, Links Awekening, and A link between worlds

Damiani was showing a lot of the cool lore points, or context moments but was received with mixed results.

BTW, Blood since you read these pages: Have you guys planned anything for that Vive? I guess it's hard to set up since you don't have a studio, but i imagine you could fit it in someone's house, or at least use it in seated experiences?
They could probably use it to review Star Trek: Bridge Crew, since that game seems to be all about sitting in a chair and telling people to do things, unless there's some secret footage people haven't gotten to see that says otherwise.

Mikey Jr.

Seems like they got a good bump in patrons, relatively speaking.

They seem to consistently beat their previous month, which is great.

Burt

"I want to show you something. The greatest 2D game of all time."

pLR9Q.gif

*5 hours later*
"Do you see??"

"This is stupid. The sprites are bad, and it's all nonsense."

*Whips out Gameboy, puts in Pokemon Red.*

cm osi

"I want to show you something. The greatest 2D game of all time."

pLR9Q.gif

*5 hours later*
"Do you see??"

"This is stupid. The sprites are bad, and it's all nonsense."

*Whips out Gameboy, puts in Pokemon Red.*

the concept is interesting but maybe the livestream is not the best way to go for it.
maybe get the 2 allies to discuss the most important part of the game after they watch them (like specific bosses or cutscenes)? this way you can get more discussion and prepare better question/answer

Speaking of Bound. I just played through the game and it's amazing. It's what I hoped Abzu would bring bit that fell a bit flat for me. That felt a bit Too safe and didn't get its emotional hooks into me

Bound was an amazing 2 hour ride. I love these "experience" games that I can work in between a Donkey Kong Country and a Deus Ex. A great pallet cleanser

This one is easily the most graceful game I've ever played. The visuals are breathtaking and they mix up the environments enough to keep things fresh the whole way through. And I liked the story. Had a nice mystery and it kept me interested. It was a personal tale for sure.

Blood did a stream of the game that's on YouTube if you want to check it out. And now I have my ps4 theme set to the lovely Bound dynamic theme

DMiz

I don't really think about any of that when watching

all those facts and characters are rapidly discarded in exchange for "shenanigans" leading to an entirely different type of adventure than the first episode may imply

important stuff gets brought up when important stuff happens

Agreed. While the lore is important to know the backdrop, Ben will remind the group in most episodes where a relevant character or plot point needs to be expanded. I'd argue that the focus of the show is still how the group gets through the encounters that are set up for them - either in interesting, or hilarious, ways.

Burt

the concept is interesting but maybe the livestream is not the best way to go for it.
maybe get the 2 allies to discuss the most important part of the game after they watch them (like specific bosses or cutscenes)? this way you can get more discussion and prepare better question/answer

I thought it was a very fun stream overall, just exaggerating a little :p

Bosman conceded a few points, and he was really lobbing some stuff over the plate for Damiani to counter. Bosman was never going to come out of the stream liking the game, but yeah, I would imagine it's pretty hard to make even a good 'middle ground' argument at the same time you're playing the game. I don't think it needs to be structured for breaks or anything, but maybe if they're playing a game that they aren't trying to squeeze a full playthrough in with, they'll be up for more of a pro/con discussion.

Edit: and, having gone over the end again, I don't think it's good that instead of the person who likes the game making a passionate plea for why the game is amazing, we have the person who hates the game trying to find the dinky things they like in order to make the format work. Kind of illustrates an important element that was missing here -- a desire to win the other person over. I dunno if it's because Damiani was wiped after a 5 hour marathon or if it's because everyone thinks Bosman is a LttP lost cause, but topping it all off with "This game is the best and if you don't like it you're just plain wrong" runs a little counter to the purpose of it all.

KeRaSh

Almost two hours into the LttP collab stream. Did anyone else find it hypocritical of Bosman to hate on the "ankle high" walls when that is basically something that's been in Pokemon (one of his most loved franchises as far as I can tell) since day one?

Everybody+knows+you+cant+climb+ledges+only+jump+down+_99f25a21824b4708f04c59cddf22b3db.jpg

People use Pokemon as some kind of smoking gun against Bosman when "hurt" by his dislike for LTTP.
Did you guys not watch Brandon plays Pokemon? Bosman has a ton of issues with those games too. Stuff he actively chooses to ignore or else it'll hurt his enjoyment of the good things.

KeRaSh

People use Pokemon as some kind of smoking gun against Bosman when "hurt" by his dislike for LTTP.
Did you guys not watch Brandon plays Pokemon? Bosman has a ton of issues with those games too. Stuff he actively chooses to ignore or else it'll hurt his enjoyment of the good things.

I'm not hurt by any of Bosman's complaints about LttP. I actually agree with some of his points and disagree with the way Damiani tries to defend every little detail. I just thought that complaint was quite funny considering the circumstances.

I'm glad we got this stream. I was very curious as to why Kyle hates the game so much. So far (still only two hours in) it seems that most of his complaints center around "bad" sprites and the mixing of angles or lack thereof. To me those seem like very minor complaints and should not result in so much hate for the game when there are complaints on a comparable scale towards other more favored games.

Karu

Headcanon: Kyle knows ALTTP is a fantastic game, he just happens to not like it at all because the circumstances of his first playthrough.

Edit: I think the look of ALTTP is pretty meh, and yes, Link does look like garbage. Prefer the handheld Zeldas myself.

I think Kyle is spot on about how bad the broken perspective work is. They were obviously trying to replicate the top-down shoebox look of the first game's dungeons, but that totally breaks with the more complicated architecture of the environments in LttP. He's also spot on about how ugly some of the sprite work is.

Personally I've never liked the way the game feels to play. I've not been able to get past the feel of the combat either back in the day, or when I've tried to revisit it more recently. I really loved Zelda 1 and 2, but LttP lost me, and I've never been interested in the 3D Zelda games.

Almost two hours into the LttP collab stream. Did anyone else find it hypocritical of Bosman to hate on the "ankle high" walls when that is basically something that's been in Pokemon (one of his most loved franchises as far as I can tell) since day one?

I haven't watched it so I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think you could like Pokemon as a whole while still hating some of the mechanics of it.

Maiar_m

Just got done with the day 1 patch podcast, it was my favourite, despite Jones and Damiani's seemingly iron-wielded will not to let their mics pick up what they were saying.

Appreciated Jone's passion for marketing lies and the corporate necessity of it vs the need for gamers to know what they're actually buying, but I'm also with Damiani (if you're reading this man, your efforts are showing and your input and presence is at least to me greatly appreciated in the podcasts) when it comes to day one patches. I don't know how much of a delay it would imply in terms of shipping, marketing (in-store banners with the release date, TV spots already slotted to appear and so on) but assuming everybody has access to the internet and should be held responsible for it when they purchase your product is folly.

In no other transaction you as a consumer are expected to willingly purchase whats is essentially a broken product at full price and fix the thing using a separate service (here, the internet) or just shut up and roll over. It's a privilege we only give digital media as a whole: you've paid for this service but if it doesn't work then it's probably your fault, not the service's. That seems fairly wrong to me. Ship the finished, working product, have people pay for that. Don't Minimum Viable Product your 60$ game.

cm osi

Everybody+knows+you+cant+climb+ledges+only+jump+down+_99f25a21824b4708f04c59cddf22b3db.jpg

i think pokemon does the bird point view correctly, while in lttp you should see only one side of wall but you can see all of them. that makes it feels like they're pyramids

After watching the stream with Kyle and Damiani, I think I have to agree with Kyle. The game doesn't hold up that well. Sure, it's charming and is probably entertaining, but games like A Link Between Worlds are just so much better.

Anyone watching the Kinda Funny Studio reveal? I hope the Easy Allies studio will look as good.

The studio looked cool. But I didn't like the fakeness of the video itself.
They had them pretending to do all their shows on the new stage, when in fact they haven't done any yet. So you know there was a director there telling them when to fake laugh and fake react just for those clips. Rubbed me the wrong way, not the way to reveal it imo.

The studio looked cool. But I didn't like the fakeness of the video itself.
They had them pretending to do all their shows on the new stage, when in fact they haven't done any yet. So you know there was a director there telling them when to fake laugh and fake react just for those clips. Rubbed me the wrong way, not the way to reveal it imo.

I may be wrong, but those were real. I think they said they already recorded their next batch of episodes and those clips were likely from them. Or maybe I misheard them.

Edit- Yup. They're airing those pre-recorded episodes now.

I may be wrong, but those were real. I think they said they already recorded their next batch of episodes and those clips were likely from them. Or maybe I misheard them.

No you're right, they said on PS I Love You last week they'd already recorded a bunch in the new studio.

Anyways I don't wanna get off topic. I wonder what EZA needs to do to grow more.

KF studio looks really really slick. Happy for those guys.

It's a shame most of their content seems to just bounce off me these days. I dunno what it is but their style just doesn't jive with me anymore.

I still listen to PS I Love You though.

EZA has been hovering around 39k for a while now which is a really great number, but I feel 50k is likely out of reach barring some huge push of some kind. The push to 40k for the E3 coverage was impressive so I wouldn't say it's impossible but they would need to do something big to get there.

KF studio looks really really slick. Happy for those guys.

It's a shame most of their content seems to just bounce off me these days. I dunno what it is but their style just doesn't jive with me anymore.

I still listen to PS I Love You though.

EZA has been hovering around 39k for a while now which is a really great number, but I feel 50k is likely out of reach barring some huge push of some kind.

Maybe a day long stream or something would help with special goals milestones for that stream.

Also remember that KF is only 5 people. And they have two very successful patreons and have other revenue streams. but on the other hand they are in SF so rent is ridiculous, so it may even out even though rent in LA isn't cheap either

Also remember that KF is only 5 people. And they have two very successful patreons and have other revenue streams. but on the other hand they are in SF so rent is ridiculous, so it may even out even though rent in LA isn't cheap either

I think they get a lot of income from sponsorships and hosting gigs. Their day of streaming today is sponsored by Deus Ex for example, Greg and Tim did that Final Fantasy thing, Greg has a behind the scenes show for the Batman Telltale game and they're always hosting panels at various conventions.

I could see Brandon or Ben killin it as a host for an outside company, hopefully they get those opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom