• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deimo5

After GT was closed some people were archiving and uploading their streams. Some of the lost streams even reappeared.
I lost track of what's available now and where.
But I have the Chicago Enforcer playthrough and can upload it if no one else did already.

Never saw this, I would be interested in an upload

Anybody have any merch yet? Never bought from spreadshirt before, just wondering what the quality is like. Do the graphics seem like they're wear off fast or is it pretty good?

sora87

I kinda understood their hesitancy to upload some of their twitch streams, a lot of them are just an hour or two of playing a random game they never return to and they could bloat the channel. People searching for Let's Plays on youtube might think "well they never stick to one game so whats the point".
Then again I've had no problems with twitch vods, they work fine for me, so guess I'm in the minority there!

llehuty

I kinda understood their hesitancy to upload some of their twitch streams, a lot of them are just an hour or two of playing a random game they never return to and they could bloat the channel. People searching for Let's Plays on youtube might think "well they never stick to one game so whats the point".
Then again I've had no problems with twitch vods, they work fine for me, so guess I'm in the minority there!
I think they could use a different channel for the twitch streams (and get that sweet double channel subscriptors revenue).

sora87

I think they could use a different channel for the twitch streams (and get that sweet double channel subscriptors revenue).

Yeah maybe, a channel solely dedicated to twitch archives would be good and keep the main channel for their shows, reviews and retro's

Also looks like they got youtube to change their channel name to Easy Allies!

I see some comments here and in chat which are either indifferent to the current lack of Youtube archiving, or even defending it to some extent.

I'm sorry to sound borish, but at least here in Australia, Twitch archives are unacceptable.

For the sake of putting the information out there, this is my experience with Twitch archives vs Youtube.

For the record, at home I am on a 100mb/s down fibre Internet connection (NBN for fellow Aussies here). Additionally, these issues are repeatable and I have tested them on different Internet connections and in different states (DSL at my parent's (18mb/s down, TPG, NSW) and 4G on both my phone and via modem (8-40mb/s down, Telstra Network, ACT, NSW, SA, Vic)). As far as I can see, these are Twitch-in-Australia issues.

In all cases I have tried different DNS settings (Google, etc) and the closest I’ve gotten to fixing these issues was via TPG’s free US VPN service, but even then it was spotty. I have not tested paid VPN services, as after checking user reviews, they seem to vary in quality on a near site-by-site basis and have also dropped in consistency of throughput over time.

With that all up front, I encounter the following with Twitch;
  • For archives, the first 30 mins or so usually play fine, after which point it buffers incessantly.
  • When archives buffer, I experience 1-3mins of buffering for 30s-2m of video, followed by more buffering. This continues indefinitely.
  • In most cases, the buffering issue is irrespective of quality level chosen. Source has the same problem as HD, and ditto with Low and Mobile.
  • In rare cases, dropping it to Mobile helps.
  • Twitch downloading aps that I have tested (including plugins and stand alone programs) stopped working well about 3-6 months ago after Twitch changed some things server-side. The best solution I have found consistently times out somewhere between 50-90mins and loses the end of the VOD.
Note that, sometimes, even live broadcasts buffer frequently on any quality level except Low or Mobile (seems to be when stream viewer numbers are low - must be a server prioritisation thing - so at times like E3 this thankfully isn't a problem).

With Youtube, my experience is the following;
  • On all tested internet connections, Youtube playback is smooth in all but rare cases.
  • Automatic transitioning between quality levels works well for 4G in remote locals and during transport. Videos play with very minimal buffering.
  • When using Youtube download aps, Youtube saturates the connection on all tested internet services (ie I download at 94mb/s at home). Additionally, a number of aps work fine.
In the end, my stance is that I pay $25/month to support the guys, but it still isn’t a charity. I do want to be able to watch everything they put out. As it is, the current archiving situation is simply unacceptable.

That said, Brandon and Blood know that we want youtube archives for all videos on one channel and it’s in the works by the sounds of things during Blood’s stream today (which, for the record, I was watching on Mobile quality to keep it from buffering).

Hasney

You get money based on subs? I thought it was just ad revenue. Sweet.

About archiving the streams, honestly, I get why they don't in a way. It's effort and after a stram has happened, it's easy to think "who's going to watch this in the future?" when a lot of it is interacting with chat. But seriously, a bunch of us would. This helps:

http://download.twitchapps.com/

Once Brandon gets that new PC, it should have free cores and RAM for local recording too. Solo streams would need TwitchDown still.

Since we're still at the ground level, I think I'm going to start a dedicated EZA Unarchived on YT so we don't lose anything. Ad free and all that, and I'll take down anything they do upload themselves. I just think it's worth not losing any of this stuff right now.

Hasney

Forget the channel.

Got stuff downloading and I'll up it all and get a fancy graphic later... When I'm not so hungover

EDIT: Shit, Brad's streaming right now? Ahaha, that Overwatch itch.

About archiving the streams, honestly, I get why they don't in a way. It's effort and after a stram has happened, it's easy to think "who's going to watch this in the future?" when a lot of it is interacting with chat. But seriously, a bunch of us would. This helps:

https://nightdev.com/twitchdown

Once Brandon gets that new PC, it should have free cores and RAM for local recording too. Solo streams would need TwitchDown still.

Since we're still at the ground level, I think I'm going to start a dedicated EZA Unarchived on YT so we don't lose anything. Ad free and all that, and I'll take down anything they do upload themselves. I just think it's worth not losing any of this stuff right now.
I'd like to note that Twitchdown only works for 15min chunks.

Because of server changes, none of the twitch downloading tools / services I have tested have worked well for full streams since about 3-6 months ago. (I posted about my Twitch experience above)

EDIT: Wow, if you want to brave that, love and respect duder.

Starting a dedicated, unofficial archive channel would be much appreciated at these early stages (ie, like Giant Bomb unarchived). Thanks.

I will note, though, that the guys need to put this at the top of their priority list considering that shows will take a while to start coming up (as they already know by the sounds of things).

Hasney

I'd like to note that Twitchdown only works for 15min chunks.

Because of server changes, none of the twitch downloading tools / services I have tested have worked well for full streams since about 3-6 months ago. (I posted about my Twitch experience above)

EDIT: Wow, if you want to brave that, love and respect duder.

Starting a dedicated, unofficial archive channel would be much appreciated at these early stages (ie, like Giant Bomb unarchived). Thanks.

I will note, though, that the guys need to put this at the top of their priority list considering that shows will take a while to start coming up (as they already know by the sounds of things).

Yeah, I've just seen that, thought I was downloading the whole thing. Makes it much harder now, I used Twitchdown for my own, multi-hour stuff and it was fine. Don't think I can commit the time to 15 minute chunks.

In the 15 minute chunk I downloaded of the Pokken stream, Brandon did mention about people offering the start of the first stream and getting that up though, so hopefully they're getting on the ball. Really wish Twitch themselves could leverage those sweet Amazon servers and just keep the archives for everyone going forward. I know some people have issues with Twitch (I used to), but at least it would be there.

Yeah, I've just seen that, thought I was downloading the whole thing. Makes it much harder now, I used Twitchdown for my own, multi-hour stuff and it was fine. Don't think I can commit the time to 15 minute chunks

That just means you're sane : )

If you want, you can try out the utility I found works best for twitch, but the servers are so spotty here in AUS it times out.

https://slicktechies.com/how-to-watchrecord-twitch-streams-using-livestreamer/

EDIT: Remembered you were in / near jolly tea-and-crumpets-god-save-the-queen-land. It could actually work well for you since I assume EU servers are more stable.

MrMette

Livestreamer still downloads full VODs:
http://docs.livestreamer.io/

It is a commandline app however, so not that user friendly (there is a GUI for it, but I could not get it to work).
I have written a script for myself to make it a bit more userfriendly, but the script is not really fit for distribution as it has quirks and is written for my usecase (also it needs perl).

Apparently you can also use VLC to record the streams with Livestreamer:

Edit: I was a bit too late apparently ;)

Livestreamer still downloads full VODs:
http://docs.livestreamer.io/

It is a commandline app however, so not that user friendly (there is a GUI for it, but I could not get it to work).
I have written a script for myself to make it a bit more userfriendly, but the script is not really fit for distribution as it has quirks and is written for my usecase (also it needs perl).

Apparently you can also use VLC to record the streams with Livestreamer:

:D - great minds think alike.

Yeah, livestreamer works really well compared to everything else. Times out here in Australia, but if someone in the EU/US gives it a shot, it could be a silver bullet for now.

Hasney

Cheers guys, I can deal with Python scripts (albeit probably after breakfast lol). I 'll re-link the channel if it all works and it starts going up.

MrMette

:D - great minds think alike.

Yeah, livestreamer works really well compared to everything else. Times out here in Australia, but if someone in the EU/US gives it a shot, it could be a silver bullet for now.

I am from Belgium (EU), and it works fine for me.
I only tested it on VODs however and not on running livestreams.
The one Brad is doing right now is timing out, but I have used the VOD link as I thought it was finished. All the rest which is archived on Twitch works.

Cheers guys, I can deal with Python scripts (albeit probably after breakfast lol). I 'll re-link the channel if it all works and it starts going up.
I am from Belgium (EU), and it works fine.
I only tested it on VODs however and not on livestreams.
The one Brad is doing right now is timing out. All the rest which is archived on Twitch works.

I may be being presumptuous, but you two should consider teaming up and sharing the load.

Form an... uneasy alliance : )

GB Unarchived is run by a number of peeps too, by my understanding. It would be a godsend for us in non-EU/Americas countries and would be much appreciated.

Hasney

Uneasy Alliances are the best

Yeah, this is working fantastic, at least now I can find a reason for this 250mbit connection! Think I've got what's been uploaded so far fine for now, but I'll totally need a hand in the future.

EDIT: This is actually so good and fast that it's probably easier to download VODs using this for my own use and stream them over Kodi on my TV instead of using that stuttery app.

Uneasy Alliances are the best

Yeah, this is working fantastic, at least now I can find a reason for this 250mbit connection! Think I've got what's been uploaded so far fine for now, but I'll totally need a hand in the future.

EDIT: This is actually so good and fast that it's probably easier to download VODs using this for my own use and stream them over Kodi on my TV instead of using that stuttery app.
Glad to help!

also, so jelly over that connection speed (not that having 250 down would help here in AUS haha).

Any word on when the regular flow of shows will start? Surprised there wasn't more in this first week. I expected at least a Huber Hype and Bosman show as well as the podcast. Hopefully they hit a stride this coming week. I imagine they had no idea this would happen so quickly, and need a little bit of time to ramp up.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Any word on when the regular flow of shows will start? Surprised there wasn't more in this first week. I expected at least a Huber Hype and Bosman show as well as the podcast. Hopefully they hit a stride this coming week. I imagine they had no idea this would happen so quickly, and need a little bit of time to ramp up.

I would anticipate it all to start proper next week, they're probably filming it all this week to come out next week.

Wow, those are some lofty expectations.

Shows (eg the new spin on Huber Hype) start next week. Bosman is prob. going to be casual and infrequent, retros are a couple of months out.

It's good to keep in mind that it's only been like 4 days and the guys were out of work for like 6 weeks before this thing started up. Some of them have day jobs now.

Hasney

Really? They didn't even know the Huber goal would be met!

They're working out a production schedule, hoping to hear plans during the Tuesday stream bu not expecting videos by that week.

Wow, those are some lofty expectations.

Shows (eg the new spin on Huber Hype) start next week. Bosman is prob. going to be casual and infrequent, retros are a couple of months out.

It's good to keep in mind that it's only been like 4 days and the guys were out of work for like 6 weeks before this thing started up. Some of them have day jobs now.

Perhaps. I think I was assuming they would have had a couple of shows pre-taped before the Patreon launched so that the first week would be in the bag already.

^^^^And you are right I forgot the Huber video was a stretch goal.

http://download.twitchapps.com/

Archive it but don't upload anything to YT. It's their content let them have a chance to upload it and get the subs, views, etc. all you're doing is taking from that even if you take it down when they do upload it.

Streams last 30 days on Twitch. Things aren't going anywhere. There's no need to rush when they said just last night they're likely doing it.

Mikey Jr.

After GT was closed some people were archiving and uploading their streams. Some of the lost streams even reappeared.
I lost track of what's available now and where.
But I have the Chicago Enforcer playthrough and can upload it if no one else did already.

No fucking way.

You have the full Chicago enforcer playthrough?

Please yes upload!

Omg!

Yes upload! Everyone has to see it. It is fucking great! Thank you so much!

Archive it but don't upload anything to YT. It's their content let them have a chance to upload it and get the subs, views, etc. all you're doing is taking from that even if you take it down when they do upload it.

Streams last 30 days on Twitch. Things aren't going anywhere. There's no need to rush when they said just last night they're likely doing it.

That's a fair stance on the matter. Archive but don't release without either getting a thumbs up or giving the guys some time.

That said, I'm going to be seriously concerned if they don't have anything but Toybox Tuesdays on their channel by April (and honestly, will reconsider my tier of sub).

Hasney

30 days? Sweet, I swear it used to be a week or a set number of videos which is why I thought I should pull the trigger. They're all uploading now (and some already have), so I'll just let it do its thing since today is going to spent slowly dying on my sofa anyway and make all the links on it private. I'll make them public if anything falls off Twitch.

I see some comments here and in chat which are either indifferent to the current lack of Youtube archiving, or even defending it to some extent.

I'm sorry to sound borish, but at least here in Australia, Twitch archives are unacceptable.

For the sake of putting the information out there, this is my experience with Twitch archives vs Youtube.

For the record, at home I am on a 100mb/s down fibre Internet connection (NBN for fellow Aussies here). Additionally, these issues are repeatable and I have tested them on different Internet connections and in different states (DSL at my parent's (18mb/s down, TPG, NSW) and 4G on both my phone and via modem (8-40mb/s down, Telstra Network, ACT, NSW, SA, Vic)). As far as I can see, these are Twitch-in-Australia issues.

In all cases I have tried different DNS settings (Google, etc) and the closest I’ve gotten to fixing these issues was via TPG’s free US VPN service, but even then it was spotty. I have not tested paid VPN services, as after checking user reviews, they seem to vary in quality on a near site-by-site basis and have also dropped in consistency of throughput over time.

With that all up front, I encounter the following with Twitch;
  • For archives, the first 30 mins or so usually play fine, after which point it buffers incessantly.
  • When archives buffer, I experience 1-3mins of buffering for 30s-2m of video, followed by more buffering. This continues indefinitely.
  • In most cases, the buffering issue is irrespective of quality level chosen. Source has the same problem as HD, and ditto with Low and Mobile.
  • In rare cases, dropping it to Mobile helps.
  • Twitch downloading aps that I have tested (including plugins and stand alone programs) stopped working well about 3-6 months ago after Twitch changed some things server-side. The best solution I have found consistently times out somewhere between 50-90mins and loses the end of the VOD.
Note that, sometimes, even live broadcasts buffer frequently on any quality level except Low or Mobile (seems to be when stream viewer numbers are low - must be a server prioritisation thing - so at times like E3 this thankfully isn't a problem).

With Youtube, my experience is the following;
  • On all tested internet connections, Youtube playback is smooth in all but rare cases.
  • Automatic transitioning between quality levels works well for 4G in remote locals and during transport. Videos play with very minimal buffering.
  • When using Youtube download aps, Youtube saturates the connection on all tested internet services (ie I download at 94mb/s at home). Additionally, a number of aps work fine.
In the end, my stance is that I pay $25/month to support the guys, but it still isn’t a charity. I do want to be able to watch everything they put out. As it is, the current archiving situation is simply unacceptable.

That said, Brandon and Blood know that we want youtube archives for all videos on one channel and it’s in the works by the sounds of things during Blood’s stream today (which, for the record, I was watching on Mobile quality to keep it from buffering).

Are you me?, even though I have a slower connection (20mb/s) it should be more than enough to handle the twitch stream and I have the exact same problem (from Chile) and have the same sentiment about paying for this, but not been able to enjoy what they produce the way I should.

Perhaps. I think I was assuming they would have had a couple of shows pre-taped before the Patreon launched so that the first week would be in the bag already.

^^^^And you are right I forgot the Huber video was a stretch goal.

Lets also consider we have yet to be billed for our Patreon pledge. If shows don't start until after Apr 1st, that is perfectly fine.

Everything is moving much faster than expected so give them some time to get on their feet and get a schedule together. This thing isn't even a week old yet and they are literally buying equipment and setting things up just now.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You reckon over time they'll reach the 50k target and can do this full time? I'd love them to create a whole portal that matches to what Gametrailers was once was.

Hasney

Are you me?, even though I have a slower connection (20mb/s) it should be more than enough to handle the twitch stream and I have the exact same problem (from Chile) and have the same sentiment about paying for this, but not been able to enjoy what they produce the way I should.

Honestly, I'm in the UK and have an aforementioned fast connection and the Twitch app on my TV is hell for being stuttery, so yeah, that's why I think YT is a must regardless too.

Thank you!

Can someone contact the gt archiver guy on YouTube? Get this on there proto!

Guys, watch this. It is hilarious as bosman slowly descends into madness from this terrible fucking game.
I can do it if Farisr does t want to get to it this weekend. I've got other lost streams on my YT channel that others had saved off.

30 days? Sweet, I swear it used to be a week or a set number of videos which is why I thought I should pull the trigger. They're all uploading now (and some already have), so I'll just let it do its thing since today is going to spent slowly dying on my sofa anyway and make all the links on it private. I'll make them public if anything falls off Twitch.

Actually i think it's 60 days. Looking at the old GT channel content broadcasted on January 25 is still up.

Edit: cool Farisr. :)

Hasney

I can do it if Farisr does t want to get to it this weekend. I've got other lost streams on my YT channel that others had saved off.

Actually i think it's 60 days. Looking at the old GT channel content broadcasted on January 25 is still up.

Edit: cool Farisr. :)

Sweet, yeah, think this is where I thought it was shorter. Us Twitch plebs get less time:

So it's all good for now.

Still, even if I do nothing with this channel, that Livestreamer script is so much better for just downloading the videos and watching locally rather than dealing with Twitch's shitty app and site, so I got something out of it.

Lets also consider we have yet to be billed for our Patreon pledge. If shows don't start until after Apr 1st, that is perfectly fine.

Everything is moving much faster than expected so give them some time to get on their feet and get a schedule together. This thing isn't even a week old yet and they are literally buying equipment and setting things up just now.

For sure. I think it would help if some of these streams got put into their YT channel. Especially the Pokken ones.

Bittercup

Oh wow! Is it okay if I upload these to YT to my channel. You'll get full credit of course for having these streams.
Yes, sure, no problem. The more that can see this the better.
The playthrough is amazing.

I have Kyle's Dumb Game Monday Lost Via Domus streams as well in case it's not uploaded yet.
edit: I have X-Men Destiny as well and Huber's Order 1886 full playthrough.

Oh and on the Chicago enforcers stream if you can only watch one episode, watch the stream where Kyke is in this warehouse. It's midway through I think? I won't spoil it but it's an hour stream where you see Kyle descend into madness. I swear he was at his breaking point multiple times that day. It's amazing.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, sure, no problem. The more that can see this the better.
The playthrough is amazing.

I have Kyle's Dumb Game Monday Lost Via Domus streams as well in case it's not uploaded yet.

I doubt they have that either!

Wow! Yeah, upload that too. Maybe check with the poster first just to make sure.

For sure. I think it would help if some of these streams got put into their YT channel. Especially the Pokken ones.
All streams need to be archived to something other than Twitch, preferably Youtube.

I don't ask for them all to be on the premiere channel, but that is preferred so people don't need to check two subs like back in the GT days.

Personally, I have a hard line-in-the-sand stance on this. IMO, anything less than 100% archiving just speaks to a lack of care towards people like me who live in places where Twitch servers suck. I'm more than willing to respond in kind by speaking with my wallet and taking my money elsewhere.

It sounds harsh, but there it is. A lot of my sentiment comes from the fact that I've done livestreams and shows in the past and know how easy it is to get stuff onto Youtube - especially compared to what it used to be. If in-uni-with-a-DSL-connection-me could figure it out, these guys very well can. Heck, the turnaround time on the Toybox Tuesdays stream was indicative of capability they are simply not employing for their other streams this week for no reason other than what appears to be disorganisation and a lack of planning.

Again, I don't mean to be harsh - I love these guys, I just want to put my reasoning out there (and timely archives, darn it).

(Also, I'm not specifically directing this at you Man is Obsolete, just shouting into the wind hoping I get heard by the powers that be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom