• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going by Blood and Jones' talk in the Trackmania stream, they are going to be archiving the streams to youtube they just haven't decided the wheres and whens of it.

Personally I'd prefer that they create a 2nd channel for stream archives, but Blood seemed against that. I can understand wanting to keep everything in one place, but on the other hand with the amount of streaming they are doing it could swamp the produced content.

Myggen

Going by Blood and Jones' talk in the Trackmania stream, they are going to be archiving the streams to youtube they just haven't decided the wheres and whens of it.

Personally I'd prefer that they create a 2nd channel for stream archives, but Blood seemed against that. I can understand wanting to keep everything in one place, but on the other hand with the amount of streaming they are doing it could swamp the produced content.

It will absolutely swamp produced content, at least to a degree.

-shadow-

Re-watching the game now through the stream, I completely forgot how beautiful the game looks during the night segments. I despise the bloom during the day, but it really makes night time look gorgeous!

ilium

Maybe they could release streams on youtube on one weekend once a month and put them all in one playlist. This way they are archived but there would only be one big blow out. Uploads could be prepared beforehand and released by specific time and date or schedule.
But I don't know if this would conflict with shows they might have planned to release on weekends.

luchadork

i think having two channels will mean less views. the youtube UX is confusing for a lot of people. my friend who is a massive GT fan didnt even realise there was a second GT channel until towards the end. he couldn't understand why they'd split their content into two places. and i agree.

i'll take overwhelming amounts of content as opposed to obfuscated content.

i think having two channels will mean less views. the youtube UX is confusing for a lot of people. my friend who is a massive GT fan didnt even realise there was a second GT channel until towards the end. he couldn't understand why they'd split their content into two places. and i agree.

i'll take overwhelming amounts of content as opposed to obfuscated content.

The problem with the GT thing is it made no sense as there was produced content on both. All people are asking for here is a dumping ground for twitch streams strictly for archival purposes. Of course regular segments I believe should be produced and edited for the main YT channel.

That or like the person above stated dump the entire week's stream on a Saturday or one weekend a month. That way the channel's main content doesn't get swamped.

RiverKwai

Maybe they could release streams on youtube on one weekend once a month and put them all in one playlist. This way they are archived but there would only be one big blow out. Uploads could be prepared beforehand and released by specific time and date or schedule.
But I don't know if this would conflict with shows they might have planned to release on weekends.

I think it would take longer than a day to upload.

Wiggy

Damiani says the DREAM (i.e. not at all definite) scenario is to debut his new show in a few months at event like an anime expo or convention or something and then have regular episodes after that. But he's asking for patience as to do a good job and research properly takes time.

-shadow-

Just incase, I asked Damiani what he thinks of the bloom effects during the night at which he replied he doesn't actually remember what it looks like during the night. I'm off to bed, but can someone remind him if he forgets? 😝

Right, but they only have to be released together, not uploaded. Make it private first and then available later all at once. Not sure if you'd have to do this by hand tho.

I like this idea a lot the more I think about it. In the GT past, Sunday was dry in content and I think the crew needs at least a day off, so why not just upload them as they come and greenlight them on their day off, that way there will always be EZA content in the channel.

Watching the Allies Assemble video again I just now caught the Damiani teaser ending. Then I come to this thread and Mr. 7.8 is back. It's just great to live in a world where you can be creative and be funded directly by your fans. Corporation be damned

For the guys who are getting behind the idea of all archives being released on one day either once a week or once a month, consider the nature of the video game videos market.

We're in a world where the first person who posts long format video of a popular game to Youtube gets hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views and the 2nd person gets 1/2 to 1/4 of that number. Pewdiepie is partially successful because of how early and consistent he is with his let's play posts.

This isn't to say that EZA is expected to be doing world firsts of anything, but to highlight the importance of timeliness. In video games, it has been demonstrated over and over again that the world appreciates two things above all others - novelty and timing.

There is a reason why Giant Bomb has been harried since their inception regarding getting things archived quickly. It progressed to a point where Vinny got the company to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a multi-layered, redundancy-capable archiving system to the point where any and all of their live stuff is on both their site and youtube at multiple quality levels within hours (with very rare exceptions such as their 24 hour streams).

People don't like missing out on the zeitgeist created by live stuff - whether it be memes (Sweeny!), surprise news (content announcements) or other such things.

Streams surrounding new games have even more impetus behind getting up archives ASAP. For example, when Dark Souls III comes out early next month, many viewers - especially patrons outside of America/EU - would feel really left out if they have to wait till the weekend, or worse, the end of the month to see Ben's inevitable live stream.

The topic keeps coming up, and it seems like I'm one of the strongest proponents on here for an all-livestreams-as-fast-as-possible-preferably-in-one-place stance.

If it's just me who wants to kick up a stink, I may just stay quiet about it from here on and let everyone come to their own conclusions. I will say, though, that if the guys settle on once a week I'll be sad and disappointed but relatively understanding - if it's once a month, I'm out.

For the guys who are getting behind the idea of all archives being released on one day either once a week or once a month, consider the nature of the video game videos market.

We're in a world where the first person who posts long format video of a popular game to Youtube gets hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views and the 2nd person gets 1/2 to 1/4 of that number. Pewdiepie is partially successful because of how early and consistent he is with his let's play posts.

This isn't to say that EZA is expected to be doing world firsts of anything, but to highlight the importance of timeliness. In video games, it has been demonstrated over and over again that the world appreciates two things above all others - novelty and timing.

There is a reason why Giant Bomb has been harried since their inception regarding getting things archived quickly. It progressed to a point where Vinny got the company to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a multi-layered, redundancy-capable archiving system to the point where any and all of their live stuff is on both their site and youtube at multiple quality levels within hours (with very rare exceptions such as their 24 hour streams).

People don't like missing out on the zeitgeist created by live stuff - whether it be memes (Sweeny!), surprise news (content announcements) or other such things.

Streams surrounding new games have even more impetus behind getting up archives ASAP. For example, when Dark Souls III comes out early next month, many viewers - especially patrons outside of America/EU - would feel really left out if they have to wait till the weekend, or worse, the end of the month to see Ben's inevitable live stream.

The topic keeps coming up, and it seems like I'm one of the strongest proponents on here for an all-livestreams-as-fast-as-possible-preferably-in-one-place stance.

If it's just me who wants to kick up a stink, I may just stay quiet about it from here on and let the guys come to their own conclusions. I will say, though, that if it's once a week I'll be sad and disappointed but relatively understanding - if it's once a month, I'm out.

Its mad how a lone gaffer was uploading GT streams to YT just hours after they were finished, but now we're talking about the group themselves only being able to do it once a week or month? Yikes.
Right now their YT channel is as empty as heck and a playlist of those streams would introduce new people to the gang.

LycanXIII

Posting stream archives the day after wouldn't "swamp" the produced content. It'll usually be one or two additional videos a day and it would allow daily content to be posted when there aren't shows being published.

Posting stream archives the day after wouldn't "swamp" the produced content. It'll usually be one or two additional videos a day and it would allow daily content to be posted when there aren't shows being published.

Yeah, I just don't see the argument. At. All.

There are plenty of examples of channels with a large amount of disparate content which organise themselves really well through a combination of customising their youtube page, having consistent thumbs and good playlists;

https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

https://www.youtube.com/user/HardwareCanucks

https://www.youtube.com/user/JimSterling

or the obvious https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

But whatever, I'll shut up about it since I've already repeated myself a bunch of times here and in chat.

RiverKwai

Right now there's a 14/1 stream to show ratio. Just saying. If they continue at roughly that pace, I can kinda see where there might be an issue for people who just aren't going to be into the streams.
Although, looking at the TotalBiscuit page, something like that might work out ok too. I guess it's all in the formatting.

LycanXIII

Right now there's a 14/1 stream to show ratio. Just saying. If they continue at roughly that pace, I can kinda see where there might be an issue for people who just aren't going to be into the streams.
Although, looking at the TotalBiscuit page, something like that might work out ok too. I guess it's all in the formatting.

Of course there's going to be more streams than shows if they do one or two streams a night. But if you look at what the Youtube uploads would be, you'd be lucky to get one video a day depending on when the shows release.

Got to look at daily output instead of overall. And I'm sure they would label them as a stream or a show.

crash-14

TotalBiscuit already has a huge establish audience. So he can put whatever the hell he wants, he'll continue getting more audience.

Not to mention Stream archives (from someone playing games) on youtube will never have the same appeal than a regular "Let's play". Due length (There's a reason why most common thing on YT it's to make videos that mostly don't surpass 12-15 min) and specially not being direct to the audience that will watch it. That's the main reason why Twitch has decided to put "recorded stream chat" and I'm sure views on recorded streams have improve a ton.

Right now EZA it's not in a position they can put whatever content they want out there to gain audience. You gotta think carefully the impression you want to make to new people.

Haven't happened to you that you saw an interesting video, you decided to check the channel but the content had nothing to do with the one you liked, so you just exit the channel an forget about it? (Yeah, most of the people don't check if there are playlist related). And when it popped up on recommendations you didn't mind at all to check more? That's one of the reasons why you should be careful with what you put in your channel cuz people could have a wrong perspective about what you're doing.

Of course they have to make happy patreons supporters, but I'm going to say something. I'm pretty sure if we make a poll about why did we pledge money on the project, streams (not the conference reactions ones) will be behind shows and reviews.

I'm from Europe, actually I can catch some streams they make since I'm in vacation, but I'm not that in watching other people play (not counting Fighting Games tournaments) as a daily basis.
I get and respect that for many it can be entertaining. I more into the content that's actually focus to give elaborated info/opinions or trying to entertain whit much effort. That's why I love the shows and podcast this people make.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, I just don't see the argument. At. All.

There are plenty of examples of channels with a large amount of disparate content which organise themselves really well through a combination of customising their youtube page, having consistent thumbs and good playlists;

https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse

https://www.youtube.com/user/HardwareCanucks

https://www.youtube.com/user/JimSterling

or the obvious https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

But whatever, I'll shut up about it since I've already repeated myself a bunch of times here and in chat.

i don't get why you're freaking out when the "weekly" and "monthly" suggestion was from a random person on gaf. they've been at this for literally five days now, the stream upload thing has already been brought to their attention and they're discussing how to handle it. that's on top of working on preproduction shows, streaming five nights a week, doing a podcast, buying new equipment and god knows whatever else they need to do behind the scenes.

I think it'll be better/easier to set the levels once everyone gets their own mics.
Yup - easily the hardest part when editing podcasts is levels, especially when you need to do noise filtering and EQ on top. That's not even taking into account the difficulty in having a single omnidirectional mic (which reduces edit time but makes levels impossible).

They'll figure it out, especially with a bit of Ian in the mix when getting presets set up.

I love the intro music; just speaks volumes and the nostalgia that comes with the bit music.

Also, I was having trouble adding this podcast to Overcast on iOS because it still isn't on iTunes, so you can't simply search for Easy Allies in Overcast to simply add this to Overcast.

As such, you have to manually enter the public soundcloud rss url into Overcast in order to add the podcast to the app.

Here is that url: http://feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:214104572/sounds.rss

If you aren't patient (like me and want to listen to the podcast ASAP), just enter that url, otherwise, just wait for it to show up on iTunes and then search for Easy Allies and add it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom