• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spman2099

It doesn't make me unhappy, it just doesn't ring the right bell. They sound like Sony fanboys sometimes and this comes from GT era, not just now and it was a criticism I've made then and something I've hoped would have changed. Hopefully the individual shows, like Bosman's, Ian's, Huber's and Ben's will not be like this.

This really sounds like you are seeing what you want to see, man. If anything Bosman has shown that he is most sentimentally attached to Nintendo. Moreover, his attachment to Nintendo has made him more critical of them.

By the way, I remember them being accused of being 360 fanboys not that long ago...

Servbot24

Banned
Not too surprising that the console most people care about generates the most media coverage. One may as well get offended that Ouya isn't getting equal opportunity in the press.

UrbanRats

Goddamn, people seeing fanboys and console war everywhere.
Take off the tinfoil hats.

Besides, Sony has had a stronger generation so far, that's a pretty common and popular assessment, so it's not absurd to see people favor PS4 in some way or another this time around.
Just like in the PS2 days, most people favored the PS2 over Dreamcast, Game Cube and Xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7hBEve0Jw

This is their live reaction to Sonys PGW press conference last year, they were pretty critical of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkto5evrm6Q

This is them on GT time if you dont want to watch the entire thing. It say it in the description "Playstations newest games dont really set the world on fire".

They are not fanboys, they show excitement when they see what they like, and they are critical when they see something they dont. Kyle is admittedly a Nintendo fanboy but he is even more critical of Nintendo than anyone because he expects more from them.

The dudes just love video games.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So not to fuel the flames on this newly found Sony bias, but I just set up an Easy Allies PSN Community for funsies. Feel free to join and meet like minded Allies in your area! (I don't know if you can link communities but if you search for it on PS4 it'll be the only one that comes up right now)

Hasney

So not to fuel the flames on this newly found Sony bias, but I just set up an Easy Allies PSN Community for funsies. Feel free to join and meet like minded Allies in your area! (I don't know if you can link communities but if you search for it on PS4 it'll be the only one that comes up right now)

They already have an official one, but i think kts under Gametrailers 3 tag since they renamed the old one.

PepperedHam

Since we're talking about fanboys, I'm a pretty big Ben Moore fanboy. It's great to have his input back in a podcast. Really eager to hear the podcast he's hosting.

sora87

There's a reason why they talked about Sony and the PS4 more than the Xbox One and Wii U, it's because the PS4 is a monster and pretty much all the zeitgeist of this gen is with it.

Saying that, they never come across as fanboys or anything (well, maybe Ian but he does it as a joke I think) and when there's Xbox and Nintendo news they discuss it too. Huber's super pumped for Quantum Break, he's been going on about it for years and traveled to Remedy the other month to shoot a preview for it. You really can only cover what's hot and Sony generate the most newsworthy discussion this gen.

epmode

When GT was still around, I only watched Final Bosman with any regularity. Now that I've been paying attention to Easy Allies, I've noticed that they don't talk about PC exclusive games very often. Am I imagining it or are they very console focused?

Visceir

Microsoft is behind in the race, someone is bound to go for the low-hanging fruit and make jokes about it. Don't really see a problem as they seem to enjoy games on xbox one just as much (Them having a blast with Halo 5 multiplayer for example)

Edit: still think they should just have a separate channel to archieve all the streams and create a playlist for it on their main channel or something.

kenta

Has no PEINS
When GT was still around, I only watched Final Bosman with any regularity. Now that I've been paying attention to Easy Allies, I've noticed that they don't talk about PC exclusive games very often. Am I imagining it or are they very console focused?
well they're ps4 fanboys so yeah they're console focused

I actually have both a PS4 and an Xbox One and I would actually like to have heard them discussing the shorter cycles/upgrade-able consoles/new versions with future compatibility instead of focusing on OMG PS4 SONY WANTS TO SELL 4K TVS and "Does Sony even sell TVs?" bullshit.

Anyway, color me fanboy-ish childish and ignore it :)

PepperedHam

I actually have both a PS4 and an Xbox One and I would actually like to have heard them discussing the shorter cycles/upgrade-able consoles/new versions with future compatibility instead of focusing on OMG PS4 SONY WANTS TO SELL 4K TVS and "Does Sony even sell TVs?" bullshit.

Except they sort of did? They talked about what it would feel like to see games play better on a new machine/reiteration of a machine and how consumers would feel about this. Those kinds of feelings stretch across the pond to how people would feel if Microsoft would do it too. Those feelings aren't mutually exclusive. They like to keep the conversation going and moderate so they aren't going to go on a 40 minute talk about console cycles, unfortunately, because it would be interesting to hear it discussed, but the news the week of this recording was focused on behind the scenes rumor/confirmation that there is indeed a PS4K. And I think boiling their discussion down to just those two really dumb sounding sentences isn't a good way to make your point either.

Heartfyre

I feel it's more of an industry trend -- there's not a lot of major PC exclusive games these days. So much hits console as well. Still, Huber is a big StarCraft II fan. I was about to suggest Overwatch, but that's not PC exclusive any more. They talked about Hearthstone a lot when it was PC exclusive, but now it's not -- they will still happily talk about it! They did talk about Undertale a bit back in the day. The Talos Principle got a lot of love from Ian when it came out as a PC exclusive, but now it's not. Huber got really excited for Layers of Fear when it released on Steam Early Access, but it's not a PC exclusive any more. Brandon's really interested in Lego Worlds, which is PC exclusive.

So yeah, I guess they don't talk a lot about PC exclusives, but that's more representative of the PC market these days rather than some blind spot on their part.

I think boiling their discussion down to just those two really dumb sounding sentences isn't a good way to make your point either.

Fair point and I think you're right that I over simplified it. But I think there's more to it that could've been said especially with what UWP can bring to the table on the Xbox part.

Anyway, anyhow I didn't want to flame the discussion, just wanted to share an opinion but I am looking forward the next shows and see how they unfold. Peace!

There was a single throw away comment about Sony TV's (that might have been a joke) in a 70+ minute discussion and it colors your impression of the whole podcast?

epmode

I feel it's more of an industry trend -- there's not a lot of major PC exclusive games these days.

Major meaning massive budget? Perhaps not. But there are a lot of brilliant small-AA budget games that come out on the platform every month. I feel like they'd go for stuff like Samorost 3, Stardew Valley and Invisible Inc, for example.

PepperedHam

Fair point and I think you're right that I over simplified it. But I think there's more to it that could've been said especially with what UWP can bring to the table on the Xbox part.

Anyway, anyhow I didn't want to flame the discussion, just wanted to share an opinion but I am looking forward the next shows and see how they unfold. Peace!
No no it's cool. I understand what you were saying, and I too would like to hear everyone's opinion on how the console landscape appears to be changing. It just so happened that this was the news story that week and for sake of the show's flow it might have been a bit much to try and squeeze all of that in there. I wasn't trying to be confrontational if that's how I appeared.

Visceir

Pretty sure Kyle only has a laptop that barely functions for skype calls. Brad did a 5h Overwatch stream this week and seems like half the team is really into that game, they are huge Blizzard fans in general.

Ben seems to also be into games like Pillars Of Eternity, XCOM and Civilization. I think he also said that he can see Stardew Valley being brought up in goty talks but is hesitant to play it as it would probably consume his whole life.

Would love to see Kyle stream Stardew Valley, I bet that would be quite amazing.

They'll be putting together a new beefy PC next week so there's a good chance you'll be seeing more pc games coverage.

sora87

I remember Ben commenting on this, I think they tried their hardest to cover PC games but they are a small team after all.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

None of them could really afford beast rigs, but they're buying a 'respectable gaming PC'. Having said that, Huber would rave about Starcraft and stuff, Bradley Ellis is an Overwatch addict, and Ben Moore burnt midnight oil on Realm Reborn and recommends Divinity and so on and so forth.

GT Time was a news show primarily and PC stuff never really...delivers news. It just keeps trucking. Will be up to Patrons to suggest what PC games they should be playing as well.

Heartfyre

Major meaning massive budget? Perhaps not. But there are a lot of brilliant small-AA budget games that come out on the platform every month. I feel like they'd go for stuff like Samorost 3, Stardew Valley and Invisible Inc, for example.

There's definitely room for that, but rather than point it out as a lack of PC-exclusive games in particular, I'd point out that they don't talk about a lot of smaller budget games generally. They tend to stick to the AAA space, which means it's probably on multiple platforms.

Besides, of that list, only Stardew Valley is a PC exclusive. I recall one of the crew saying they wanted to make time for it, too.

Elysse tended to cover more of the indie scene.

Hasney

Patreon pays every month right? So couldn't they still afford a studio if they didn't reach $50000?

They could, they'd just need to save. But from what it sounds like from the way Brandon was talking, that money would be a studio and offering everyone to come back full time to make it worth renting a place.

What is the actual community called? I couldn't find anything.

Not sure, may have to wait for Blood to confirm. He was talking about it on either the first or the Pokken stream.

Mikey Jr.

They are like $50 away from 33k.

33 Mother-fucking K.

I honestly would love to be a fly on the wall on how they will spend that money. By April 1st, they'll get around 35k I think, not including twitch subs.

That is a big cash infusion into your company(?). Especially for a company that pays no rent and has no full time employees, and not much overhead.

In my mind, I still don't understand how you can't pay everyone a decent wage and rent a place at the same time with 35k a month. You could give everyone on the team $700 a week (which I think is more than they made in Defy in my opinion), and still have 12k left over.

jbluzb

EZA has a very well balanced group. If for anything Kyle is very critical of Nintendo because he really likes Nintendo.

Huber plays PC games, as the poster above said there is very little PC exclusives just random indies. And if they are good, it also gets released in consoles.

Ben likes jrpg and many rpg games that only gets released on Sony consoles.

Ian likes bloodborne.

Bloodworth and Jones are mostly in the middle of things.

Brad is gold in smash 😄 and plays bloodborne well.

Damiani is a 7.8.

So indeed a great set of people to provide gaming industry commentary.

Patreon pays every month right? So couldn't they still afford a studio if they didn't reach $50000?
Difficult to say, though I doubt it. The topic of tax came up in chat a while ago and it adds some much needed perspective on the whole thing.

After tossing around examples, the general ballpark fell to a figure of roughly 40% of the income from Patreon will go to tax. Once you subtract that number, and consider that a "new studio" is being used as shorthand for them all moving to full time and starting a full scale thing, you can see that even 50k is big ask for 9 people.

At 50k we're talking rougly 3k/month each after tax if no money at all is spent on rent. Assuming that Brandon doesn't want to convert his garage into a long term studio, that leaves less than 3k each.

Note, none of the above estimates account for revenue from sponsors, if they find some and can create a sustainable model.

Mikey Jr.

Difficult to say, though I doubt it. The topic of tax came up in chat a while ago and it adds some much needed perspective on the whole thing.

After tossing around examples, the general ballpark fell to a figure of roughly 40% of the income from Patreon will go to tax. Once you subtract that number, and consider that a "new studio" is being used as shorthand for them all moving to full time and starting a full scale thing, you can see that even 50k is big ask for 9 people.

At 50k we're talking rougly 3k/month each after tax if no money at all is spent on rent. Assuming that Brandon doesn't want to convert his garage into a long term studio, that leaves less than 3k each.

Note, none of the above account for revenue from sponsors, if they find some and can create a sustainable model.

40% goes to taxes? Really? Damn.

Note, none of the above estimates account for revenue from sponsors, if they find some and can create a sustainable model.

Wouldn't they only pay tax on "profit". Patreon income is revenue, not profit. The wages and other expenses are operating costs. 40% may be the tax rate, but on a much smaller amount.

Mikey Jr.

Wouldn't they only pay tax on "profit". Patreon income is revenue, not profit. The wages and other expenses are operating costs. 40% may be the tax rate, but on a much smaller amount.

Hmmm, I wish I knew more about American Tax laws.

But, eza guys would know more about this. If they say they would need over 50k, I believe them.

Not sure they will ever get to that point though. At least not through Patreon alone. And not any time soon.

40% goes to taxes? Really? Damn.

I'm pretty sure US taxes are significantly lower than Australian.

They are like $50 away from 33k.

33 Mother-fucking K.

I honestly would love to be a fly on the wall on how they will spend that money. By April 1st, they'll get around 35k I think, not including twitch subs.

That is a big cash infusion into your company(?). Especially for a company that pays no rent and has no full time employees, and not much overhead.

In my mind, I still don't understand how you can't pay everyone a decent wage and rent a place at the same time with 35k a month. You could give everyone on the team $700 a week (which I think is more than they made in Defy in my opinion), and still have 12k left over.
Health insurance is still a disaster in the US, so you have to pay for that.

Also taxes, which are nothing to sneeze at.

Also, they just started.

wiibomb

they just sent an email about the first recording of the new tabletop adventures right now..

I hope they layout how these work now, because i never understood how the past one on GT worked.

EDIT: did they really sent that image upside down?? lol

they just sent an email about the first recording of the new tabletop adventures right now..

I hope they layout how these work now, because i never understood how the past one on GT worked.

EDIT: did they really sent that image upside down?? lol

Lol upside down picture showing that low budget, independent charm. Love it.

wiibomb

they are hinting something, I tell ya!!

it is either that, or may be I've been watching way too much Dark Souls Lore videos

Mikey Jr.

U1Hl3fi.jpg

"Dungeons & Dragons Has Begun

"We're recording our first sessions of Ben's new tabletop show today. Thanks for getting us here, Allies! Look out for episode one soon"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom