• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappyday

Honestly, I like Ian and could probably get along with him. However, I don't really understand this at all. =/

It felt like no effort was put into it.

edit: Obviously there was effort put into the "song", but I didn't feel it. Oh well, maybe his stuff isn't for me.

It fit right into what I expected Ian to do. Just like with ManUps there will be some episodes that I'll skip and some I watch all the way through.

LycanXIII

First session finished.

lJUbRM2.png

It fit right into what I expected Ian to do. Just like with ManUps there will be some episodes that I'll skip and some I watch all the way through.

I am genuine when I say this: I don't understand what there is to "get" from this.

All I heard was a message about acceptance, but then says we don't accept religion and politics. Yes, it's a gaming show, but why even mention it and in such a negative way?

Then they just hang out together with a zoomed out shot of them talking about nonsense and they eat icecream. Cut. It's over.

It wasn't even very funny to me. It's charming seeing friends be friends, but that's all I got out of it.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not seeing how this is something you want to put up on a new Patreon, especially when they are so new and don't have much of a YouTube presence.

He's "on a case for a month," so I'm guessing he'll get involved towards the end of April.

Nothing yet. But I'd guess help with video editing and behind the scenes stuff. I've heard from the GT crew Don prefers to not be in the limelight or on camera. They said if he did then you'd see don a lot more.

Brandon was being super secretive about it so I'm extra curious now.

I hope he does some on camera stuff (if, and when he's comfortable) his adlib is amazing. See Battle of the Bands and Fiasco for proof.

I am genuine when I say this: I don't understand what there is to "get" from this.

All I heard was a message about acceptance, but then says we don't accept religion and politics. Yes, it's a gaming show, but why even mention it and in such a negative way?

Then they just hang out together with a zoomed out shot of them talking about nonsense and they eat icecream. Cut. It's over.

It wasn't even very funny to me. It's charming seeing friends be friends, but that's all I got out of it.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm not seeing how this is something you want to put up on a new Patreon, especially when they are so new and don't have much of a YouTube presence.
I understand what you're saying. I agree that with next to nothing on the channel right now it'll seem odd to newcomers, but that's the sort of Ian stuff Ian does. At the moment they're doing very well based on previous supporters of GT who have a better idea of what to expect, so they aren't really trying to go for a wider audience at the moment. Seems like the sentiment is that they want to figure out their new shows/content schedule and go from there.

The loyal audience (who is funding the whole thing) can be sort of a testing group to help them figure out what works and what people want to see

But it's not a gaming show. It's Ian's show and this the exact thing he's been doing since Elyse left and he got solo hosting duties.

Maximo

First session finished.

lJUbRM2.png

Where can i watch it and does someone need to watch their previous adventures to know their characters or are they re rolling new ones? I LOOOOVE Critical Role and would take any Dungeons and Dragons I can get, never knew they played DnD.

It's just Ian doing his thing and what I expected. Ian does a lot of free and lose experimental bits and segments. Some will click for people, others won't. But the guy is creative and when it hits it's great (blind lines, jolly co-op, etc)

To me this ep was to do two things.
1) set the tone of the show with the song. Ian has had a decent amount of negative feedback on manups from people not liking his hair, look, etc. so it's the "here's the show, don't like,months watch"
2) do silly quick content to piece together a show and get it up and running within the week of the patreon starting. And since Ian can cut videos quickly his was first out of the gate.

Ian can't stick to one theme or bit for long so expect it to vary over time. And Brandon said on stream a lot of the shows will shift once they start trying things out, get patreon feedback, etc.

Ian's new show pilot thing.

Is it up on YT or was it one those shows from the now defunct GT days?

FYI: The only show I watched from GT was Kyle Bossman's The Final Bossman Show, so that is why I am asking. Other than this show, I don't remember what shows were being produced by GT during that time, although Easy Update sounds like a show that was being produced by GT...

Edit: Nvm. I see that it is up on YT right now...

First, that song was amazing. Ian, if you're reading this, put it on a 7" and sell it on the merch store, I'll buy 5.
That was really weird, which is exactly what I'd want out of Ian's new show. I rate it a 9.8 "swamp, but not like a bad one".

Szeth

Where can i watch it and does someone need to watch their previous adventures to know their characters or are they re rolling new ones? I LOOOOVE Critical Role and would take any Dungeons and Dragons I can get, never knew they played DnD.

They're rolling new characters, first episode will be up this week on youtube. Here is their other campaign if you feel like watching them, it will all take place in the same world, so there's possibility of cross over. While not as good as Critical Role, still amazing in its own right and it's what got me into DnD/CR in the first place.

Vinc

I don't always understand them, and they don't always have an impact on me, but I always appreciate Ian's weird experimental videos. And that cinematography was fantastic.

Maximo

They're rolling new characters, first episode will be up this week on youtube. Here is their other campaign if you feel like watching them, it will all take place in the same world, so there's possibility of cross over. While not as good as Critical Role, still amazing in its own right and it's what got me into DnD/CR in the first place.

Awesome watching the first episode now, might give the series a watch before tipping my toes into their new campaign.

mishakoz

Oh boy,

I love Ian, but you cant start with utter randomness and call it "episode one" and i am assuming that the next episodes will be more "mandatory update" in structure.

I know its his thing and he is a great guy and i loved manups, but if he wants Easy Allies to take off he's going to have to play ball a bit... or rather, not....

Oh... well...okay then.

200.gif

Admittedly, it isn't for everyone. When Ian made the switch during the ManUp days people were mixed but grew to like it after getting more used to the new style. So maybe you'll enjoy it more going forward?

The episode when Ian and Kyle talk about life and whether or not they're detached from the rest of the world and what that means sticks out to me as when I really fell in love with the new format.

Admittedly, it isn't for everyone. When Ian made the switch during the ManUp days people were mixed but grew to like it after getting more used to the new style. So maybe you'll enjoy it more going forward?

The episode when Ian and Kyle talk about life and whether or not they're detached from the rest of the world and what that means sticks out to me as when I really fell in love with the new format.

I'll certainly stick around and see how it goes. Thanks for not attacking me for not understanding it.

As a side note, I have to try to not be so sensitive, but as a person that believes in God, I get a little uncomfortable when a gaming media entertainment Patreon I'm paying for shoehorns some atheistic messages/jokes out of the gate.

Like I said, I'm trying to not be too sensitive and take it as it is, but it just seems odd/contradictory when his opening message is essentially acceptance. Doesn't feel accepting.

Anyone remember the name of that guy with glasses that was a reporter for ManUp ?

Rob Slusser?

Shang

I only started watching ManUps toward the end and it was definitely more structured and related to videogames than this was. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I would like to see a bit more substance to the show in the future.

Mikey Jr.

I'll certainly stick around and see how it goes. Thanks for not attacking me for not understanding it.

As a side note, I have to try to not be so sensitive, but as a person that believes in God, I get a little uncomfortable when a gaming media entertainment Patreon I'm paying for shoehorns some atheistic messages/jokes out of the gate.

Like I said, I'm trying to not be too sensitive and take it as it is, but it just seems odd/contradictory when his opening message is essentially acceptance. Doesn't feel accepting.

Rob Slusser?

I'm catholic, and Ian has several times made fun of religion. Doesn't phase me in the slightest. Gotta have some thicker skin.

Honestly, if you don't like their content or feel offended or "dont get it", I would back out of the Patreon and just enjoy the free content to be honest. Then if you do enjoy it, back them for May.

I'm catholic, and Ian has several times made fun of religion. Doesn't phase me in the slightest. Gotta have some thicker skin.

Honestly, if you don't like their content or feel offended or "dont get it", I would back out of the Patreon and just enjoy the free content to be honest. Then if you do enjoy it, back them for May.

To be fair, it's just one show and I enjoy Ian in other shows as well. If his show is just something that isn't for me, then I don't see any reason to have a kneejerk reaction and remove my Patron money.

Perhaps I need a thicker skin, but my point is this: Saying you accept everyone only to make anti-God jokes is contradictory and not accepting. I don't want to derail the thread, but I think it's a relevant point. I'll let it go though and just wait.

mishakoz

In general, if you are going to make a point of saying "be respectful of this, this, and this, but dont be respectful of this other thing because i dont respect it" is kinda messed up. Ian means well so I dont mind at all, but i do think its a weird thing to say. Picking and choosing is a thing I cant stand.

Spman2099

I would have appreciated it more if it had a bit more video game content. That being said, it is nice to have someone that is more of a loose canon creatively.

RiverKwai

To be fair, it's just one show and I enjoy Ian in other shows as well. If his show is just something that isn't for me, then I don't see any reason to have a kneejerk reaction and remove my Patron money.

Perhaps I need a thicker skin, but my point is this: Saying you accept everyone only to make anti-God jokes is contradictory and not accepting. I don't want to derail the thread, but I think it's a relevant point. I'll let it go though and just wait.

One could say that it's not religion or God or politics, or race or anything else he mentioned in the song that Ian has a problem with. I think it's pretty clear that what he has a problem with is when people use those things to exclude or belittle or damage others Which happens all the time. Like it or not, politics and religion are known for being divisive, and not inclusive. He's just saying to go into this knowing that he's not going to get involved with any of that noise.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm 99.99% sure that's the whole point of the song.

Spman2099

He did not say that at all. Here is an exact quote...

"We don't really care about politics, or sports, or religion that much."

That is general indifference, not a lack of acceptance. On that point, they then played a sport (or at least a simplified version of it) during part of the episode. So they clearly aren't that hostile towards any of those things.

One could say that it's not religion or God or politics, or race or anything else he mentioned in the song that Ian has a problem with. I think it's pretty clear that what he has a problem with is when people use those things to exclude or belittle or damage others Which happens all the time. Like it or not, politics and religion are known for being divisive, and not inclusive. He's just saying to go into this knowing that he's not going to get involved with any of that noise.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm 99.99% sure that's the whole point of the song.

Yes, this was my original hunch. Thanks for stating it so eloquently.

I guess my tendency is to read into it too much, especially when they made the joke that "If there really was a God, he would go get that birdie right now" bit. It seemed to validate my fears that they are being blatantly unaccepting of people who believe differently. I'll just chalk it off as jokes I'm personally not fond of. The thing is, the standards are not really fair these days, because if Ian made a joke at the expense of homosexuality or other cultural/religious views, it would probably not fly at all.

*shrug*

He did not say that at all. Here is an exact quote...

"We don't really care about politics, or sports, or religion that much."

That is general indifference, not a lack of acceptance. On that point, they then played a sport (or at least a simplified version of it) during part of the episode. So they clearly aren't that hostile towards any of those things.

Good point as well.

bradbot

Neo Member
There seems to be some confusion about our D&D group so let me clarify. Its me (brad) Huber, Ian, Kyle and Ben returning as the DM.

LycanXIII

Posting for the new page.

Ben's going to be sitting on the left, then there's Brad, an empty chair, Huber, then Ian. As far as I know, no one has said who is in the middle seat or have ruled out Kyle being in it.

Edit:
There seems to be some confusion about our D&D group so let me clarify. Its me (brad) Huber, Ian, Kyle and Ben returning as the DM.

So Kyle is that empty seat, going to assume he's the one that took the pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom