• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

That's pretty damn silly if you ask me. Spoiler tagging a discussion? I mean I guess I can understand posting gifs or something because they are essentially videos with no sound but just discussing it wouldn't hurt anything. If anything it helps them through exposure of their funny moments. Then potential viewers/patrons can go on to actually watch the said content.

Because some people like to go into a discussion fresh without knowing any details about how it went. Funny details fan also be spoiled and lose their impact and it's better to not be a dick and be considerste to those people out by doing a simple thing like posting in another thread rather than ask them to avoid this thread for 2 days.

I love this, but didn't expect a GT Live replacement from Ian. AJ has done work in video games and Ian asked the hard hitting questions.

Wish they had enough table space for a map and minis.

Check the monitor, I think this might be a fine replacement for that.

crash-14

they almost have 20k subscribers in the YT page. taking out the almost 4k that are backing them, what keeps other 16k to give them just a dollar per month?

wiibomb

I love they keep us updated, I hear that Brandon wanted to make a weekly little video about the upcoming videos from the week and updates from EZA, was that still a plan? haven't heard anything more

Hubble

Wow, people really need to relax on the whole 'I aint following if no Kyke mantra'. If people feel this, please watch Huber Hype, Mandatory Update, Retrospectives, Top 10, and more. There is much more entertaining content and shows than just Kyle's. Take time to familiarize with the other shows and you will realize how great they are, especially Retrospectives and Top 10 that is worth supporting alone.

I think Huber is far more entertaining than Kyle and his content much more clever than him. Huber Hype is laugh out loud hilarious at times: Huber is the best of the lot imo. He carried the E3 betting specials and made it a thing by himself from his humor. I personally thought a lot of the Bosman shows were bad for awhile then they started to improve. Mandatory Update with Ian and Elyse was awesome. GT Time was great too, and all in all, the other shows besides Bosman were best of the best in its respective gaming programming. GT had much more than Kyle. I'm on mobile so no care for the writing.

Hasney

they almost have 20k subscribers in the YT page. taking out the almost 4k that are backing them, what keeps other 16k to give them just a dollar per month?

Lots of reasons really. There's those that won't pay for content they can watch for free ever, those that might be paying for other Patrons/subs and EZA would be a lower priority to them and those that don't like paying for the unknown.

Don't forget, us early backers have basically done a similar thing to pre ordering a sequel. We're 98% sure it's going to be great, but u til everything is in the swing of things, we can't be totally sure. There's also nothing in that $1 tier yet, so nothing to tempt them.

Hasney

You mispelled Kyle's name. Totally a mistake, but you should probably get that fixed up pretty quick.

Well I agree in general, you can't compare Huber to Kyle. Sure a bunch of us love both, but some feel Huber is too in your face and loid to enjoy and like Kyle specifically because he comes across as thoughtful and well reasoned while Huber cones across as yelling his every thought as he thinks them, which isn't true, but you can see why they would have that idea.

Mariolee

One could say that it's not religion or God or politics, or race or anything else he mentioned in the song that Ian has a problem with. I think it's pretty clear that what he has a problem with is when people use those things to exclude or belittle or damage others Which happens all the time. Like it or not, politics and religion are known for being divisive, and not inclusive. He's just saying to go into this knowing that he's not going to get involved with any of that noise.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I'm 99.99% sure that's the whole point of the song.

Yeah, myself as a Christian sometimes the jokes can be a bit much but that's just Ian. I love his originality so much that if I feel like I told him to tone it down with even one part of his act it would bring everything down. So yeah, just be true to yourself Ian.

Hyped for D&D. Will miss Elyse but Ian and Brad should be hilarious.

Where did Matt Blair end up going to? Also, does everyone have other jobs aside from this? Just curious.

Man, Easy Update was great. Playing faster-er and looser-er than ever.
Yeah, I'm glad that's the one that came out first. No Ian during the stream was weird, so it was nice to see him. Mandatory Update near the end was like a more chill GT Time which I thought worked really well when they were both together.

UrbanRats

Wow, people really need to relax on the whole 'I aint following if no Kyke mantra'. If people feel this, please watch Huber Hype, Mandatory Update, Retrospectives, Top 10, and more. There is much more entertaining content and shows than just Kyle's. Take time to familiarize with the other shows and you will realize how great they are, especially Retrospectives and Top 10 that is worth supporting alone.

I think Huber is far more entertaining than Kyle and his content much more clever than him. Huber Hype is laugh out loud hilarious at times: Huber is the best of the lot imo. He carried the E3 betting specials and made it a thing by himself from his humor. I personally thought a lot of the Bosman shows were bad for awhile then they started to improve. Mandatory Update with Ian and Elyse was awesome. GT Time was great too, and all in all, the other shows besides Bosman were best of the best in its respective gaming programming. GT had much more than Kyle. I'm on mobile so no care for the writing.
If you're referring to my comment about D&D, that wasn't what i was implying at all.
I was just sad because he's a good troll on that show, that's all.

Otherwise i agree with you.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I didn't know PayPal was an option on Patreon until I made an account to sub to EZA. Perhaps more people would jump in if they knew they didn't have to do the whole credit card thing

Hasney

From Ben's Twitter:

There's going to be a D&D for fans to play? How will that work?

Those that paid $200 a month. Basically assuming it will be over Skype, but it may not be a show on YT, he's letting people decide since they paid their money to do it. Think it may be a logistical nightmare, but if they're willing to pay that much to do it, I'm sure they'll be willing to make the time. Hope it all works out!

Ben was saying on his stream that it's in the same universe as the main group as well and they will intersect at some point. There's two groups of Patreon games, so 3 people at a time.

Hasney

I know. But still can't understand why people planning on following their content on a daily basis can't give them a dollar... The figurative value of a dollar is far higher than the literal value of a dollar.

Maybe they'll pay for a tall, refreshing cup of Brandon?

Those that paid $200 a month. Basically assuming it will be over Skype, but it may not be a show on YT, he's letting people decide since they paid their money to do it. Think it may be a logistical nightmare, but if they're willing to pay that much to do it, I'm sure they'll be willing to make the time. Hope it all works out!

Ben was saying on his stream that it's in the same universe as the main group as well and they will intersect at some point. There's two groups of Patreon games, so 3 people at a time.

Christ.

Good luck with memorising all the different plots of each separate story, Ben.

They're rolling new characters, first episode will be up this week on youtube. Here is their other campaign if you feel like watching them, it will all take place in the same world, so there's possibility of cross over. While not as good as Critical Role, still amazing in its own right and it's what got me into DnD/CR in the first place.

Pshaw. Critical Role has never had anything as great as Pervince Tosscobble.

Check the monitor, I think this might be a fine replacement for that.

Yeah, looks like he might be using Roll20 or something now.

There's going to be a D&D for fans to play? How will that work?

Well, if you pay $200 a month Ben will DM a game for you and a few other donors via the internet over Skype and probably using Roll20 or something like it. It's undecided if these sessions will be recorded and posted online since it's up to the donors whether they want to be broadcast like that.

Man I am a broke college student with no income at the moment but even I am tempted to donate these brilliants guys $5 a month.
It was like a little piece of me died when I heard GT went under and I would still click my Gametrailers Firefox tile out of habit at least once a day.

I am so freaking happy to see the majority of the crew back and can't wait for the new D&D adventures, also Damiani hype!

Tigermave

Neo Member
Not a big fan of posts comparing members of the staff. It's okay for people to say Kyle got them into the site and that's mainly what they came to EZA for... I think many people have a particular staff member they gravitate to, and that's okay.

Try not to think the "I'm here for x staff member" comments as discrediting to the other staff, or that you need to jump into to defend the others. They're all great, but some personalities just resonate more with others, and that's fine. Not a competition, they're all on the same team :)

Hasney

That would be Rob Slusser he was in the group of layoffs that occurred when Gametrailers got sold to Defy. Hope he's doing well, loved his weird quirky humor.

Think I remember someone at GT saying that his brother was fairly high up in Viacom and that's how Rob got the job, but they had a very successful business together and Rob was mainly doing it because he enjoyed it, so I think he's doing fine.

crash-14

Maybe they'll pay for a tall, refreshing cup of Brandon?

It seems that will just work if Kyle was the one doing it...
Don't want to sound bitter, but some of Kyle fans can't see that the better it goes for EZA would transfer to Bosman. Many are worried about "low budget show from him". Can't they think that 50k tier with the new office could help?

But again, don't want to focus this on "what they can give in exchange" besides showing support to them if you've followed them while they were GT.

Cuz speaking about your other reply, you can totally dismiss from the equation "paying for the unknown" when you're already subscribed. Most of those subs already know what to expect from them. At least I don't tend to subscribe to things I'm not going to follow often (So I don't care when new things will come).

I don't know, maybe it just me but with the amount of entertainment they've delivered me in the years, I feel like I should support them with any amount I can now that they need it (And I'll benefit about it with more entertainment).

Just my opinion. People can have their and can do whatever they want with their money.

crimilde

Banned
Ian's intro is so classy. Love it. A bit too short of an episode, but it was great, as random as I was expecting it to be. I really enjoyed the ManUps fast and loose style he got going after Elyse left so here's to hoping it comes back in some form.

jbluzb

Where can i watch it and does someone need to watch their previous adventures to know their characters or are they re rolling new ones? I LOOOOVE Critical Role and would take any Dungeons and Dragons I can get, never knew they played DnD.

there DnD is great :D better than critical role :p

re: Ian shows are always weird, a different camera perspective of the world...the universe --- unique

Philippo

That was... uh... interesting i guess?

I hope it was just temporary and he goes back to the semi-talk show format he had at the end of ManUps, that was really brilliant.

Not a big fan of posts comparing members of the staff. It's okay for people to say Kyle got them into the site and that's mainly what they came to EZA for... I think many people have a particular staff member they gravitate to, and that's okay.

Try not to think the "I'm here for x staff member" comments as discrediting to the other staff, or that you need to jump into to defend the others. They're all great, but some personalities just resonate more with others, and that's fine. Not a competition, they're all on the same team :)

Agree completely, these are personalities not products. They are all as equally incredible as each other and that's the reason I was/am so excited for Easy Allies. So let's lay off the "I prefer x to y" please. It doesn't do anything positive for the guys nor does it help endorse them.

El-Suave

Ian's show was great, I don't need it to be an hour long "talk" every week and I don't need it to be strictly gaming related either. The song was very nice and shot really well.

Hasney

That was... uh... interesting i guess?

I hope it was just temporary and he goes back to the semi-talk show format he had at the end of ManUps, that was really brilliant.

I doubt it. Ian with free reign to do what he likes means it'll be different every week. Who knows, the occasional episode might be like that, but they'll mostly be doing whatever takes Ian's fancy that week.

Feedback on the Patreon page is mostly positive, thankfully. Figured it might be the most divisive thing any of them do.

Easy Update was pretty good. Hoping for longer episodes in the future. I hope "interviewing a guest while doing a totally unrelated task" is a recurring segment.

Oh and I near enough fucking died at "Don't actually send mail here, it's an old spaghetti factory".

Tregard

Soothsayer
Easy Update is exactly what I want from an Ian Hinck joint. Would be pretty cool to see him doing some "Ian on the Street" segments too.

i watched the first episode of the podcast and agree 100% with brandon jones. dont care for the concept of re-reviews. make it good for launch or get dragged.

Spman2099

i watched the first episode of the podcast and agree 100% with brandon jones. dont care for the concept of re-reviews. make it good for launch or get dragged.

I don't think there is ever an obligation for the critic to do a re-review. That being said, I greatly appreciate them when I see them. I am happy I heard about how good Driveclub ended up being. Giving your readership more, and better, knowledge is never a bad thing.

13randO

Easy Update was pretty good. Hoping for longer episodes in the future. I hope "interviewing a guest while doing a totally unrelated task" is a recurring segment.

I hope so as well, I just hope that it's not filmed outside so there's not so much feedback. I enjoyed the segment overall.

Philippo

I doubt it. Ian with free reign to do what he likes means it'll be different every week. Who knows, the occasional episode might be like that, but they'll mostly be doing whatever takes Ian's fancy that week.

Feedback on the Patreon page is mostly positive, thankfully. Figured it might be the most divisive thing any of them do.

Maybe they're just waiting for the New Couch?

LewieP

Only criticism that I'd make of the patreon is that I don't think for their shows that are at all focused on current events it makes sense to delay them for anyone in their audience.

I don't think it's unfair or anything, but I imagine that delaying a news focused podcast for people not currently contributing to the patreon will severely it's audience, and have a negative impact on the podcast's ability to appeal to new people.

Not the end of the world, but I think delaying retrospectives, broader discussions not of a topical nature, and just anything without a degree of topicality makes a lot more sense. They run the risk of missing out on the zeitgeist. A 48 hour delay is detrimental to the potential virality of a lot of their stuff.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with giving people paying them money preferred treatment, but I'm not convinced they've gone about doing so in the best way possible.

Edit: In case it needs to be said, I am thrilled for them with how successful it has been out of the gate, and can only see great things in their future.

jbluzb

^the format is similar to kinda funny games, topics are broken up over the week; the focus is on the core audience, the strategy is not really to be the most viral podcast/show on youtube which was never part of the EZA/GT DNA

as a patreon supporter, I feel that a closer, intimate, more inclusive community is more beneficial for EZA; no need for the flashy/viral podcast, there is already too many of those in youtube; the viral demographics is very fleeting and non-committal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom