• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

It'd be a 5 from me too, but totally understand why it wouldn't be on many other peoples scales at all. That's why reviews are totally subjective.

wapplew

Patreon payment drop just hit, about $300 across a bunch of backers as that number dropped. Don't know if the drop happens throughout the day as more cards are charged, but if not, damn fine result compared to some of the dramatic predictions before.

Yeah! My cc gone through!
Only $300 drop, great job guys, keep them content coming and pledge will go up!

Hasney

Ben Moore gave MGS V a 9.3 score in his review last year. I think that would qualify as 5 stars in the new system.

We'll probably never know fo sho, but that would probably round down to a 4.5 anyway. But the scales don't appear to have been created equal, it's not a direct translation.

Just a heads up incase this happens to anyone else: My automatic PayPal Payment for the month didn't process correctly. I had to try again manually from the Pledge History Menu.

From the Patreon page. Maybe it has something to do with the drop.

Hasney

From the Patreon page. Maybe it has something to do with the drop.

I've also noticed that it says the billing cycle is between the 1st and 5th, so drops wouldn't all happen just yet by the looks of things, so that may not be the final drop. Still don't think it will be in the thousands like some people predicted though.

Grief51

Banned
Patreon payment drop just hit, about $300 across a bunch of backers as that number dropped. Don't know if the drop happens throughout the day as more cards are charged, but if not, damn fine result compared to some of the dramatic predictions before.

Only dropping $300 is very good. That is only a drop of 0,8 % - hardly anything really. Earlier in this thread some Patreon veterans predicted EZA would drop around 5 % at the first payout as that apparently is the norm.
This just goes to show how serious EZA patreon pledgers are. Almost all the pledges were genuine.

Also the Patreon is still growing as content starts coming online. I would not be surprised to see EZA reach 38-40k by end of April.

Edit: Okay the payment cycle is May 1 - 5 so there may be more drops, but still I got a feeling the vast majority of the pledges are legit.

I don't mind half stars, but I think they should only be really be used when the reviewer justifies why it's needed, ie. if a game isn't a 5 star game, it should drop to 4 stars and only move back up if the editorial puts forth a convincing case why 'excellent' doesn't quite encapsulate the game's merits, even though it isn't quite 'masterful'.

Otherwise they'll never get comfortable with 3 stars as a 'recommended' game and you end up with a 10 point scale masquerading as a 5 point scale and everything will congregate around the 3.5 - 5 stars (7-10) range. Ultimately half star scores should be as rare, if not rarer than 5/5s.

Wiggy

The total number is still higher than the amount they had yesterday. It's been fluctuating all day, this morning it shot up to like 34,900 then went back down to the 34,450 as I write. I guess on payday patreon goes a bit crazy. They are also down about 40 patrons.

GlamFM

Banned
5 star system is where it´s at.

It translates perfectly to MetaCritic.

5 & 4 - Green
3 - Yellow
2 & 1 - Red

Get this .5 crap out of my face.

Hasney

The total number is still higher than the amount they had yesterday. It's been fluctuating all day, this morning it shot up to like 34,900 then went back down to the 34,450 as I write. I guess on payday patreon goes a bit crazy. They are also down about 40 patrons.

I think the spike was the Patreon processing fees calculating properly. For the first month, it defaults to 5%, but the real % is usually less, especially with the high average $ per patron that EZA has.

https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606125-How-do-you-calculate-fees-

Wiggy

I think the spike was the Patreon processing fees calculating properly. For the first month, it defaults to 5%, but the real % is usually less, especially with the high average $ per patron that EZA has.

https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606125-How-do-you-calculate-fees-

Yeah thats what I was thinking, im actually on that page right now haha. And the 'declined pledges' obviously cant be done too accurately for the first month as they have no previous month to make the estimate.

Karu

5 & 4 - Green
3 - Yellow
2 & 1 - Red

Yup, this. Don't make 5/5 a suuuuper rare thing either. Giantbomb does it perfectly. Best review system of them all.

Dropping only 40 patrons out of 4000+ is a pretty great retention. I suspect a few may have bailed at the last second but others are pledges that payment didn't go through so they get dropped.

nib95

Banned

5 & 4 - Green
3 - Yellow
2 & 1 - Red

I prefer the full 10 scale system employed by IGN, EZA etc. Just gives you a more specific quality indicator.

Matush

I am absolutely okay with 0,5* rating. For me it's the best, like what is the difference between x,6 and x,7? 0,5* is probably the best one.

More like swimming in 3s.
Here's how I summed up our ratings.
5 Stars - Masterful, 4 Stars - Excellent, 3 Stars - Recommended, 2 Stars - Lacking, 1 Star - Poor

I like this system, people can call it a 5 or 10 point scale system if they want but for the 4 and a half stars QB got this tells me that Huber thought it was Excellent and close to Masterful but just not quite there.

takriel

I like the new scoring system as long as the full 5-star rating is only given out rarely to truly amazing masterpiece games.

For example last year: The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and MGS V would be only games last year to receive 5 stars.
MGS V and 5 stars? Bloodborne and Witcher 3 are the only games that deserve 5 stars from last year.

Vinc

New review scoring system is perfect!

My paypal account hasn't been charged yet. I hope it goes through. Has EVERYONE been charged yet?

Hasney

New review scoring system is perfect!

My paypal account hasn't been charged yet. I hope it goes through. Has EVERYONE been charged yet?

Says billing cycle is 1st-5th. Login to Patreon, click your face in the top right and then Your Pledges. Then click Pledge History and see what status your payment is. There's already been a couple of instances where PayPal hasn't gone through, but you can click a button there to do it.

El-Suave

Since they only have the capacity to review a few of the the bigger games each month, those will almost always end up being good or great games. Unless they're broken, big releases always are at a relatively high quality level these days. If you just have five stars it's pretty much guaranteed you'll end up with only four or five star reviews for almost every game they can review. Anything below will be an exception. Could become rather boring in the long run if you're just into scores. So I'll say the finer version of the scale with half stars is a must. Personally I'd have gone with a ten point scale and half point steps.

Portugeezer

Hopefully they will talk about it in the next podcast. They talk a bit about FF15 and JRPG popularity a bit this week, but after the FF15 uncovered event there are some unfinished talking points.

Hasney

Hopefully they will talk about it in the next podcast. They talk a bit about FF15 and JRPG popularity a bit this week, but after the FF15 uncovered event there are some unfinished talking points.

They'll probably have to do a seperate chat with Ben and Brad. Bosmans on that blackout train, so it won't be on the podcast in any detail.

DKHF

If they were going to do a standalone discussion video about the FFXV event I think it would have gone up yesterday (the 31st). Though I could see them discussing it on Ben's podcast if that goes up in the next week (which I'm not sure if it will).

Hasney

If they were going to do a standalone discussion video about the FFXV event I think it would have gone up yesterday (the 31st). Though I could see them discussing it on Ben's podcast if that goes up in the next week (which I'm not sure if it will).

Unless they weren't able to find time yet since they don't all go to an office once a day anymore. They'll be in the same room on Saturday for TTE, so if they don't film anything before or after that, then I doubt they'll put anything up. Which would be a shame, was looking forward to it after that Tweet saying they would do a recap discussion.

Fbh

It hasn't been that long but damn I missed Gt reviews.

I like the new system. A 5 star system working on 10 scale system is great IMO. I preffer it over the 5 scale

Since they only have the capacity to review a few of the the bigger games each month, those will almost always end up being good or great games. Unless they're broken, big releases always are at a relatively high quality level these days. If you just have five stars it's pretty much guaranteed you'll end up with only four or five star reviews for almost every game they can review. Anything below will be an exception. Could become rather boring in the long run if you're just into scores. So I'll say the finer version of the scale with half stars is a must. Personally I'd have gone with a ten point scale and half point steps.

But big games aren't allways good games.

Without having to look very far, The Division was a big release that they would have probably reviewed. And that one got a lot of mixed reviews. Same with Destiny or The Order 1886 or Battlefront.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see lots of 3 stars. Stuff like Far Cry Primal for example. From reviews and impressions that I've read it doesn't sound like a bad game....but it doesn't sound excelent either.

Of course it will all come down to the reviewer. Mabye they would have given 4 or more stars to The Division and Primal...mabye not. But there are enough games that are getting mixed reactions that I wouldn't be too sure we will only see 4 and 5 stars

Hasney

On the initial stream, they said around 4 games a month. That's less than one per person per month of those that do reviews (Brad is going to give one a shot at some point!), so I could easily see them picking up some more niche games at some point too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom