• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

luchadork

I just want to say, the way they are churning out quality content is everything and more i could have hoped for. like, this is way more, and way more intimate that GT days. better than ever. and we're only 2 weeks in. #grateful.

DKHF

Unless they weren't able to find time yet since they don't all go to an office once a day anymore. They'll be in the same room on Saturday for TTE, so if they don't film anything before or after that, then I doubt they'll put anything up. Which would be a shame, was looking forward to it after that Tweet saying they would do a recap discussion.
I'm also interested in hearing them discuss the new demo since they seem divided on it (at least Ben disliked it and Ian liked it, I'm not sure if Brad liked it since I haven't watched his stream yet).

good riddance of the ten scale with decimals, really a relic of the past. I personally have preferred even that they didn't have the half stars, but I get why you want to give yourself some room to stretch the scores.
From a consumer perspective, I think a 5 point scale is clear and simple enough for anyone interested in picking up a game:

- 5 points. It's a must have for system, get it no matter what (even if you're not into that kind of gameplay or genre).
- 4 points. highly reccomended if you're in for that gameplay experience. One of best games in that class.
- 3 points. reccomended if you're a fan of the genre.
- 2 points. Poor, but you may get something out of it if you don't mind the blatant flaws and limitations.
1 point. Stay away.

luchadork

I like the 10 point system (a 9 points system, if 1 is lowest) it gives you enough room, without becoming ridiculous, like a 100 points one.

when was the last time you saw anything below a 6 though? really its a 5 to 10 scale. i think you get a wider range of scores with a 5 star system.

Grief51

Banned
I believe Brandon has talked about (please correct me if I'm wrong) Easy Allies reviewing around 4-5 games a month which is still quite a bit less than when they were Gametrailers,
but they are not going to be only reviewing the biggest games. There should still be plenty of mediocre games going forward.

The main difference, compared to when the guys were at Gametrailers, is that now they have to have an interest in a game before they start a review.
Before they pretty much reviewed as many games as possible - often out of a sense of obligation. For example don't expect to see reviews of Fifa, Madden etc going forward..

timmyp53

Oh nice, they're already starting with the reviews. How long until they're considered Metacritic-eligible I wonder.
Probably not long considering how easy it is for blog-like sites to get on there. It'll take a while to regain their meta critic weight though.

NuttSack

Good old Jones VO, loved it!
The 5 star system is going to take some time for me to get use to.
No more : "it's a ten!"

Hopefully we get some sort of "Just Played" iteration at some points since I personally prefer a discussion on a game than reviews. I get a better perspective and understanding on what the reviewer liked, didn't liked, what and/or why did an aspect of the game kick with him or didn't.
I'm asking too much too quickly though.
I'm happy reviews are back and hope it doesn't stress out too much the guys.

Hasney

Good old Jones VO, loved it!
The 5 star system is going to take some time for me to get use to.
No more : "it's a ten!"

Hopefully we get some sort of "Just Played" iteration at some points since I personally prefer a discussion on a game than reviews. I get a better perspective and understanding on what the reviewer liked, didn't liked, what and/or why did an aspect of the game kick with him or didn't.
I'm asking too much too quickly though.
I'm happy reviews are back and hope it doesn't stress out too much the guys.

I think Just Played style discussions will come out of the second podcast too. At least based on the original description where it mentioned talking about what they're playing right now, not sure of the full scope of it now.

Volotaire

Is there a posibility to already watch Episode 2 of the EZA podcast?

If you're a $5 Patreon, then you can watch it by logging into the Patreon page for Easy Allies. The post with the podcast should be on there. If you are not a $5 or above paying Patreon, then it will release today (variation depending on your timezone).

Hasney

Is there a posibility to already watch Episode 2 of the EZA podcast?

Sure, if you've backed $5 on Patreon.

If not, it's open for everyone later today. Judging by when it got posted on Wednesday, possibly about 16 hours from now judging on when the backer version was uploaded.

I was about to ask if people's patreon charges had gone through cause I thought they'd be taken at like midnight or something but I just got the email. Hope the drop stays relatively small.

Par Score

Since they only have the capacity to review a few of the the bigger games each month, those will almost always end up being good or great games. Unless they're broken, big releases always are at a relatively high quality level these days. If you just have five stars it's pretty much guaranteed you'll end up with only four or five star reviews for almost every game they can review. Anything below will be an exception. Could become rather boring in the long run if you're just into scores. So I'll say the finer version of the scale with half stars is a must. Personally I'd have gone with a ten point scale and half point steps.

I believe Brandon has talked about (please correct me if I'm wrong) Easy Allies reviewing around 4-5 games a month which is still quite a bit less than when they were Gametrailers,
but they are not going to be only reviewing the biggest games. There should still be plenty of mediocre games going forward.

The main difference, compared to when the guys were at Gametrailers, is that now they have to have an interest in a game before they start a review.
Before they pretty much reviewed as many games as possible - often out of a sense of obligation. For example don't expect to see reviews of Fifa, Madden etc going forward..

It's pretty much the Giant Bomb review model, which makes perfect sense for Easy Allies right now, and that works just fine with 5 stars.

Grief51

Banned
I got charged as well now. :)

The drop isn't too bad around 3 % as I write this. The fear of a massive dropoff doesn't seem like it will happen.
Hopefully EZA members can now devote even more of their time on the project since they have now gotten paid for the first time.

Tsosie

It was a great first review from EZA. This was the first review I have watched since GT went down. Is there anyone else that wishes for just this one review Brandon did not do the VO. I would have loved Huber to do his masterful Sam Lake as the VO for this one. I know own it is blasphemy to want a review without Jones, but I think it would have been hilarious.

As for the scoring system, I am only going to gripe one this one time, then hold my peace from here out. I wish they had stuck with the 100 point scale. I remember Brandon clearly saying once how important the ability to differentiate on a 100 point scale. A 9.1 is a different quality level from a 9.4 which are both different from either a 9.0 or 9.5 respectively.

Okay, I said it, and will not gripe on the point. The truth is, I do not think any of us Allies truly care about the final score and really care about what the reviewer has to say. I know that I personally have come to deeply respect what Blood, Ben, Huber, and Jones have to actually say about a game. I mean did anyone expect really expect Huber to not give this game a glowing score? Yet, from what he actually wrote I now know whether this is the game that convinces me I need an XBOX One

Saul

Banned
If you're a $5 Patreon, then you can watch it by logging into the Patreon page for Easy Allies. The post with the podcast should be on there. If you are not a $5 or above paying Patreon, then it will release today (variation depending on your timezone).

Sure, if you've backed $5 on Patreon.

If not, it's open for everyone later today. Judging by when it got posted on Wednesday, possibly about 16 hours from now judging on when the backer version was uploaded.

If your a patreon you can watch it now, otherwise it should go up late Friday.

Thank you for the answers. I was thinking about becoming a Patreon anyway, so take my $5 per month EZA. ��

Tankard

Just got the e-mail my pledge went through, so happy.
So this 1k drop i'm seeing on their Patreon page regards to March pledges or already April?

Oh, awesome first review Huber and Brandon, everything just feels so right again. It was also great production value like you guys never left, beautiful editing,

Hasney

Just got the e-mail my pledge went through, so happy.
So this 1k drop i'm seeing on their Patreon page regards to March pledges or already April?

Oh, awesome first review Huber and Brandon, everything just feels so right again. It was also great production value like you guys never left, beautiful editing,

The number isn't really relating to any individual month. If for instance my payment bounced for this month, then it would be removed from the total shown, but I'd still be down for backing next month, so it would bump it back up next month when payments start being taken.

Tankard

The number isn't really relating to any individual month. If for instance my payment bounced for this month, then it would be removed from the total shown, but I'd still be down for backing next month, so it would bump it back up next month when payments start being taken.

I get that, but at some point they will receive this money, so i guess that's more where my question lies. When do they earn the March income?

Hasney

I get that, but at some point they will receive this money, so i guess that's more where my question lies. When do they earn the March income?

Sometime in April after the 5th, which is the end of the billing cycle and I believe the cut off for people who did bounce, but were able to sort it out in time. But the number will get murky as to what is received vs. what that number shows. New backers tomorrow (maybe even today?) will be shown on the total for instance, but won't be paying until next month.

jbluzb

My patreon status is complete. What does it mean? As my credit card payment failed so I have to use PayPal. I received a receipt on my email did it processed?

First time on patreon.

I'm so glad they went with the star system as opposed to a 10-point scale.

I was watching Kinda Funny's interview with some dude from IGN and they were discussing the 10-point scale and why people get so mad at reviews. And while I don't agree with IGN on almost anything these days, the point they brought up made perfect sense.

In the states, we are used to the school grading system where anything below a 70 is failing. So if a game gets a 6.5, while not a bad game, everyone views it as a fail. But a game that gets 3.5 stars is essentially the same score, but isn't viewed as being a bad score.

The patreon didn't drop much at all on D-Day, comparative to what these tend to drop on the first month collection round. Boys have a really good foundation there. And definitely well deserved, as they've been churning out loads of quality over this short period.

The patreon didn't drop much at all on D-Day, comparative to what these tend to drop on the first month collection round. Boys have a really good foundation there. And definitely well deserved, as they've been churning out loads of quality over this short period.

Mine just went through too. I agree about the quality and content they have been putting out; I love the streams and I have had them on each day whilst doing work.

I am currently watching Bloodworth's Trackmania stream; it works really well having Brandon answering the live chat and talking about stuff whilst Bloodworth plays.

I just love the whole informal and friendly nature to it all including Brandon introducing his dog Sophie and Norbert the cat (I think that is right).

Keep up the very, very brilliant work everyone.

Mine just went through too. I agree about the quality and content they have been putting out; I love the streams and I have had them on each day whilst doing work.

I am currently watching Bloodworth's Trackmania stream; it works really well having Brandon answering the live chat and talking about stuff whilst Bloodworth plays.

I just love the whole informal and friendly nature to it all including Brandon introducing his dog Sophie and Norbert the cat (I think that is right).

Keep up the very, very brilliant work everyone.

Indeed. Think this stuff is exceeding their old stuff to be honest. Awesome to be a part of it in some small way. Feels good :)

Hasney

is the current number on patreon the already collected money? If so, I'm quite glad, not that much lowered

Roughly. Declines are taken off, but people who have a bounced payment can rectify that before the 5th, so it can creep back up. But it won't be known if they're new backers that aren't paying yet, or rectified payments.

3% drop is I guess a good retention rate.

It is. Tends to be a technical freak out on payment methods of some pledges, particulary international cards. And then some just bounce due to balance not being there etc. This is a pretty impressive stick rate as far as it goes.

ito007

when was the last time you saw anything below a 6 though? really its a 5 to 10 scale. i think you get a wider range of scores with a 5 star system.
We will see how they review. But if anything a 5 star system will mean we are going to get a huge amount of 3s and 4s, so not really that much range. At least that's my prediction assuming they're gonna keep covering big titles.

Still, I like the 5 star system better as it just looks a little bit cleaner, and like others mentioned, easier to understand. I think that's the biggest advantage it has over decimals.

wiibomb

dat quantum break review...

I feels exactly like GT... Not only I'm so glad they are back, but also I got a huge urge to platy QB, I hope I get the chance to play it on PC

Lexad

Have they mentioned what the plan is to have the monthly chat with the $20 and up group of subscribers? A private twitch stream? Another interface?

Grief51

Banned
3% drop is I guess a good retention rate.

Yes it is indeed. People experienced with other Patreons told us to expect around a 5 % drop after the first month.
If this continues it's quite good imo. I anticipate EZA will keep growing throughout April to maybe 38-40k by the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom