• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love PS I Love You and Beyond for PS coverage.I could not get into KF Gamescast though. I prefer the EZA guys for all around gaming coverage.
Yeah the Gamescast stuff doesn't do much for me. I watch those highlight clips on YouTube on occasion to see if Colin says anything interesting, but otherwise, not a real regular. PS I Love You is great though.

Both teams are awesome, no need for a pissing war.

Hasney

Both teams are awesome, no need for a pissing war.

Yup, same with the Giant Bomb stuff if that ever starts up again. Saying about how positive EZA are is great, but you're not being positive whinging about other places. KF supported EZA by giving Brandon advice, GBomb does their own thing and do it well. If you can't be positive, fine, but there's no point being a bitch.

sora87

Never thought I'd watch 2 guys driving to a fat burger talking about stuff for 40 minutes.
The range of discussion they had was quite impressive.

Axass

Yup, same with the Giant Bomb stuff if that ever starts up again. Saying about how positive EZA are is great, but you're not being positive whinging about other places. KF supported EZA by giving Brandon advice, GBomb does their own thing and do it well. If you can't be positive, fine, but there's no point being a bitch.

Totally agreed, fanbase wars are silly.

timmyp53

Honestly, the demanding and assumptions in this thread, along with the financial "analysis" that goes on in this thread and heavily so in the last few pages is highly uncomfortable.

They understand their workload and what they are capable of more than anyone in this thread by a long shot. Leave all that stuff to them. Us discussing it with major assumptions on how their business works and what goes into each of their shows is not beneficial whatsoever.

Good post. I agree.

I think a lot of EZA folks want them to hit their 50k goal which is a very lofty goal. So naturally alot of comparisons are popping up especially to Kinda Funny. And a lot of financial analysis is popping up too. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it could be kind of weird for the EZA guys to see it im sure.

easy allies just overtook kinda funny in funding, is easy allies now the most funded patreon page?

eza= 34.647
kf= 32.358

( i know that kinda funny has two patreon´s )

Well, you have 9 salaries to cover plus that oh so glorious California state tax, so they better be. I wonder if they are all splitting it equally or if there is a different system going on.

Easy Update episode 2 was like, really, good. The idea of Ian + a guest going off and doing something while talking games/life works really well, especially for Ian's personality.

....Am I the only one who ended up getting Fatburger for lunch today???

Visceir

It's a shame they didn't decide to switch gears and go "yup, we're gonna commit to this until past E3 and go in full time to see how far this goes" after they got to 30k, or at least have a key group of people who would meet up daily, do the trailer scores, editing and assist other members with streams/shows. With them being mostly apart like that it still feels like they are co-workers rather than actual group of friends.

It also doesn't exactly instill confidence that Bosman still seems to he will probably getting another job.

Someone mentioned having a 40k goal for patreon to give it a boost. Making the goal Kyle being in full-time, improving his show's production values and bringing back trailer scores would be a great one.

Does anyone know what kind of microphones they bought and what camera they use for their vídeo podcast? I'm looking to get into podcasting with vídeo and I thought the quality in the easy allies podcast was really good.

Volotaire

Maybe a monthly trailer round up? I know Brandon likes to be timely though.

3 months ago Kinda Funny got fans to boost their Patreon to like 80k to fund their Animated series, it was at like 20k before that. Since then its been slowly dropping back.

Dom's helping Huber with his show now Brandon said.

Ah I didn't know about this.

crash-14

Cup of Jones is an odd show to put behind a paywall (at least that 1st episode).
It's the only place where all the thoughts and plans of the group have been layed out as a solid plan. That should be out there for everyone so they can see what's coming and decide to subscribe for the planned content.
Feels like paying to watch the trailers at a cinema and the main movie being free.

It makes total sense to me to just inform the people that's actually paying you to produce content.

Myggen

Honestly, the demanding and assumptions in this thread, along with the financial "analysis" that goes on in this thread and heavily so in the last few pages is highly uncomfortable.

They understand their workload and what they are capable of more than anyone in this thread by a long shot. Leave all that stuff to them. Us discussing it with major assumptions on how their business works and what goes into each of their shows is not beneficial whatsoever.

Get used to it, it's what happens every time someone uses crowdfunding. See every Kickstarter ever, similar Patreons etc. It's not going to go away.

I really enjoyed Easy Update episode 2. I was not a huge GT fan (mainly because I don't really care about trailers, and I wasn't really aware they had a bunch of more personality based content until way too late in their life), but I've really been into the Easy Allies stuff so far.

I just started watching the old Tabletop Adventures episodes, because I thought the Tabletop Escapades first episode was amazing.

Anyway, I'm glad their Patreon seems to be still increasing, hopefully there won't be too much of a dropoff now that the first month pledges are processed. This is my first patreon and I'm not really sure how they generally go.

Tankard

It's a shame they didn't decide to switch gears and go "yup, we're gonna commit to this until past E3 and go in full time to see how far this goes" after they got to 30k, or at least have a key group of people who would meet up daily, do the trailer scores, editing and assist other members with streams/shows. With them being mostly apart like that it still feels like they are co-workers rather than actual group of friends.

It also doesn't exactly instill confidence that Bosman still seems to he will probably getting another job.

Someone mentioned having a 40k goal for patreon to give it a boost. Making the goal Kyle being in full-time, improving his show's production values and bringing back trailer scores would be a great one.

I share your same worries, Their content is great already in less than a month, but i feel weirded out about the long term commitment to it because i have this feeling at any point they still may disbandle, kinda like EZA is not the priority for some reason, it may not be enough for all of them to make a good living for now but the community won't go anywhere and they will only grow.

jbluzb

EZA is structured more for the fans. All old shows have spiritual successors and more new stuff.

I feel they are doing it because they simply like games and playing them. Speculation: Maybe they got burned out while working with Viacom and defy so some of them feel less inclined to work full time in gaming media.

Get used to it, it's what happens every time someone uses crowdfunding. See every Kickstarter ever, similar Patreons etc. It's not going to go away.

I share your same worries, Their content is great already in less than a month, but i feel weirded out about the long term commitment to it because i have this feeling at any point they still may disbandle, kinda like EZA is not the priority for some reason, it may not be enough for all of them to make a good living for now but the community won't go anywhere and they will only grow.

I think the "demands" ( I'd say it is more people just thirsty for more) and concerns are addressed by the same thing. How much of the 9 person staff can go full time on their Patreon and other revenue streams? Right now it is just Brandon, but at what point is someone else able go full time? If at all? I feel even just one more person going full time would help immensely with quality and output, because that is a lot on Jone's shoulders and a lot on everyone else's as well to shoulder in their spare time.

However, this is still early days guys and it has to be immensely reaffirming that after payment for the first month cleared they are actually climbing in patreon revenue and not going down as many feared. Everyone just wants a perfect universe where all nine guys are full time and just pumping out quality stuff all the time because we love them so much. But there is much to figure out and I don't envy there position to figure it all out right now.

Tankard

EZA is structured more for the fans. All old shows have spiritual successors and more new stuff.

I feel they are doing it because they simply like games and playing them. Speculation: Maybe they got burned out while working with Viacom and defy so some of them feel less inclined to work full time in gaming media.

I don't believe that's the case, they even have a goal on Patreon stating they will go full time if it reaches that mark, we are not at 50k but close to that. I have no problem with the idea that for now this is not enough for all of them, i just feel weirded out when i'm having fun watching Easy Update and hear Kyle still talking about getting a job and things like that.

I hope they don't read it as bitching about things, all i want is for them to keep working together and we as a community help them achieve that, and sometimes i feel confused about the messaging of that, if that's what they all want, if it's what some of them want.

crash-14

I don't believe that's the case, they even have a goal on Patreon stating they will go full time if it reaches that mark, we are not at 50k but close to that. I have no problem with the idea that for now this is not enough for all of them, i just feel weirded out when i'm having fun watching Easy Update and hear Kyle still talking about getting a job and things like that.

I hope they don't read it as bitching about things, all i want is for them to keep working together and we as a community help them achieve that, and sometimes i feel confused about the messaging of that, if that's what they all want, if it's what some of them want.

How old are you man? How isn't Kyle going to talk about finding a job?

It's great to want them to work on this full time, but at the moment it's not possible. Simple as that. What are they suppose to do until then? Just wait and see if thinks actually go well? Where will the money come from to live? They surely have savings, but they're not millionaires....

Some of you need to understand that they have bills to pay and they won't pay by themselves. Bloodworth said that if they reach the 50k then they could commit full time job. But only in that

And no one should doubt they'll totally love to make a living from videogames, but right now it's still a risky approach.

Tankard

It's great to want them to work on this full time, but at the moment it's not possible. Simple as that. What are they suppose to do until then? Just wait and see if thinks actually go well? Where will the money come from to live? They surely have savings, but they're not millionaires....

Some of you need to understand that they have bills to pay and they won't pay by themselves. Bloodworth said that if they reach the 50k then they could commit full time job. But only in that

And no one should doubt they'll totally love to make a living from videogames, but right now it's a risky approach it.

As i said, i understand it's not enough for them right now, my concerns is what these "find a job" even imply. But sure, i will stop questioning it if it bothers people.

And no one should doubt they'll totally love to make a living from videogames, but right now it's a risky approach it.

For sure. Also good to know about if they reach 50k they could all ( that want to anyway) go full time. I thought 50k was just to have a stage. I guess that makes more sense than staffing full timers piece meal as it may alienate those that are yet to be full time. But staffing full time people piece meal may allow funding to increase faster? As I said I don't envy the decisions they have to make. They aren't just handling one double edged sword but a dozen.

I am just glad they exist at all. And it is awesome people care this much about them and want them to succeed as much as they do.

Servbot24

Banned

People need jobs so they can get money and use it to keep themselves alive. I'm sure Kyle would be thrilled to live off of Patreon money, but they don't have enough subscribers for that yet.

sappyday

People need jobs so they can get money and use it to keep themselves alive. I'm sure Kyle would be thrilled to live off of Patreon money, but they don't have enough subscribers for that yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle finds it uncomfortable making a living off of Patreon money. I don't want to speak for the guy but it's the vibe I got especially with the way he's handling his show, and I don't mean that in that in a bad way I could totally understand.

Spman2099

That is a fantastic idea. Especially the trailer score show being the 40k mark.

The whole Bosman getting hired on fulltime, however, seems like it may not be something that Bosman necessarily wants. I mean, I have no idea how he feels, I am not him. Moreover, I don't know his situation. That being said, those comments do seem to imply that he is looking to maybe move in another direction. I mean, the fact that his show isn't part of the EZA channel seems to imply that heavily.

Obviously I want Bosman to be part of the whole thing in an integral way, but I wish him the best of luck no matter what he chooses to do.

I loved Easy Update episode 2, especially after on Ian's RPGMaker stream he said he doesn't really know much about Bosman, it's nice to see the two of them hanging out.

Also, is that song Ian keeps singing a reference to something? I know at least two times in the RPGMaker stream and once in Easy Update ep 2, he sang something like "All my life has been a mystery" in a crooning fashion.

Achire

I think Brandon mentioned on one of the streams that they hadn't decided how to divide the Patreon money with regards to production / salaries. I guess now in April it's a good time to have those kinds of meetings. Not an easy thing to balance, I'm sure.

I loved Easy Update episode 2, especially after on Ian's RPGMaker stream he said he doesn't really know much about Bosman, it's nice to see the two of them hanging out.

Also, is that song Ian keeps singing a reference to something? I know at least two times in the RPGMaker stream and once in Easy Update ep 2, he sang something like "All my life has been a mystery" in a crooning fashion.

I wonder if that was a reference to this Hugh Laurie song.

I think Brandon mentioned on one of the streams that they hadn't decided how to divide the Patreon money with regards to production / salaries. I guess now in April it's a good time to have those kinds of meetings. Not an easy thing to balance, I'm sure.

If it's not a reference to that, I'd be shocked. Thanks haha, that's been bugging me for a little while.

Yeah, this could be hard, but they should look at getting a list of priorities on who to bring in fulltime first. Brandon to run things, Ian to edit, etc. Hopefully no one gets bent out of shape for being last. I'm sure the goal in the long term, which they could only be a few months away from, is to bring everyone on fulltime.

Are "stretch goals" for patreons even a thing? Seems like a lot of people are applying kickstarter logic to this, but it's a monthly commitment. The way for EZA to make more money so they can hire folks full time is the same way as any outfit -- produce content, build the size of audience.

aka, just do what you do, boys.

34,000 x 12 divide by 9?

/s

Wish it were that simple though.

Spman2099

Are "stretch goals" for patreons even a thing? Seems like a lot of people are applying kickstarter logic to this, but it's a monthly commitment. The way for EZA to make more money so they can hire folks full time is the same way as any outfit -- produce content, build the size of audience.

aka, just do what you do, boys.

This is taken from their Patreon page...

"Next Goal
A new HQ will mean we’ll be producing entertainment full-time. New and old shows will be added on YouTube and Patreon, and we’ll finally be able to build a studio from the ground up.
$34,778 of $50,000 "

So they are called "goals" instead of stretch goals, but the principle is the same. Though you are right that the commitment is a little different.

Sorry bub, I'm not going to "get used to it" just because it's been done before. It's something that really shouldn't be happening.

I am not a fan of it either, but why shouldn't it be happening? Because it's uncomfortable to talk about?

I explained why. The demanding in this thread is ridiculous and filled with people that think they know what's best for the team. They know more than any of us combined what is going to work for them and what isn't. Going back and forth forever discussing their finances is a thread I don't want to be a part of. I'd rather talk about the content of their streams and videos.

Spman2099

I am not a fan of it either, but why shouldn't it be happening? Because it's uncomfortable to talk about?

Sorry bub, I'm not going to "get used to it" just because it's been done before. It's something that really shouldn't be happening.

Somehow, despite being pretty active in this thread, I missed these comments. I didn't know people were made to feel so uncomfortable by this topic of conversation. I think a lot of us are just trying to work it out because we want them to succeed and want to have an understanding of the situation as a whole. A lot of us are sorta invested at this point.

Personally, I think a lot of it will stop when it has been addressed a little more explicitly by the EZA guys. I think they have been pretty good about being transparent, so when things are a little more solidified they are probably going to give us a heads up.

I am also curious to know why this is something that "shouldn't be happening". I mean, I am quite happy to reduce how much I talk about it personally. I think this thread should be a place of positivity. However, I am still curious.

*edit*

I explained why. The demanding in this thread is ridiculous and filled with people that think they know what's best for the team. They know more than any of us combined what is going to work for them and what isn't. Going back and forth forever discussing their finances is a thread I don't want to be a part of. I'd rather talk about the content of their streams and videos.

I haven't really seen much of that. Things have been kept pretty constructive, I would say.

Personally I think once all the shows start cranking out episodes on a regular basis all the speculation, etc... Will be replaced with talk about the content. (or atleast I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom