• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed this since the influx of new viewers and I really hate it. I despise the Twitch frame of mind that the customer is always right. Especially customers that had been ignoring GT's efforts for the last couple years but now think they know what's best.

Patron-inspired shows that rely on the gang just recycling and pumping out their "catchphrases" is the last thing we need.

Not to mention that this sort of behaviour and intrusive discussion leads to toxic and banal "TWITCH DRAMA" shit. Ugh, just let EZA do what they want.
I agree completely, i think the whole reason most people have signed up is because they want more of the content that was taken away from them,. Would new stuff be nice? If its good of course but all i want for my patreon money is to have equivalent shows to their GT days but with the freedom of being independent.

Being my first patreon im quite surprised to see the amount of backseat business advice from some people. I get people want to help out and giving advice on tech issues etc. is perfectly fine but when you have fans trying to drive the content themselves i have a problem with it.

I understand people want to get their money's worth but let the people do what they want to do and leave it alone. Thats meant to be the whole point of this, they were fired and to continue doing what they love they went to Patreon. Dont start thinking your part of the business just because you pay them $5 a month.

jbluzb

To clarify, I never would want people guessing/discussing anything because my interest is not in what other people have to say about another's identity (honestly, that's frustrating/pointless and I've dreaded when it's been done with me) and is instead only in getting to know people. I know I made it sound like "Whyyy is he weeeeiiiirrd? Eww, let's treat him like an anomaly," which makes me really regret my post's phrasing and makes me a jerk. It was supposed to be and should have been, "Hey, I'm a somewhat femme guy and it's cool to see Ian on my screen. I'd like to get to know him better. Anyone have a video I can watch to do that?" I was just curious if Ian had ever elaborated on the topic that he alluded to in Easy Update 2 in other already-made, public videos because it's an aspect of him that I appreciate and respect as someone who can (potentially) relate. I understand why my post has been responded to how it has, and there are parts I wrote that I regret writing the way I did. However, I hope my intentions of seeking out relatable stories can at least be seen as good, if poorly expressed and pursued.

I'll edit my original post because it seems to be distracting and moving discussion to a topic that I did not want. I did receive my answer, though, which I thank you all for.

I owe an apology to anyone for whom my question was misplaced and invasive or inviting discussion of someone's private life and personal identity. I was honestly just hoping for the name of a video I could search for.

Ian, if you're reading this, know that I've loved Easy Update so far and have had a great time watching it. Keep rocking it. I'll be a less weird fan in the future. Sorry if I upset you. :(

P.S.: Just to clarify something else people might have taken differently than I intended, I said I thought they were amusingly over-careful about the homosexuality thing because, as a gay guy who is rather sensitive to slights and dismissive comments, I never got negative vibes from them. But I appreciate them being careful and perhaps for others it was needed. Okay, now that I've hopefully managed to explain and apologize enough for my terrible introductory post in this thread, I'll sneak out until I feel enough of my shame for derailing the conversation and concerning/offending some readers has lifted.

Kirby don't be too hard on yourself. Your on easy allies take it EASY😉💓

luchadork

Dont start thinking your part of the business just because you pay them $5 a month.

meh, i've been saying the same shit i say now for ages. i've been entitled since day 1. the writing was on the wall for GT for years and when you see something you care about heading down the wrong path, obviously you try and help. and up until a few weeks ago we saw them meet the end of the trajectory they were on.

just because they are exceptional content creators doesnt make them exceptional at business. artists want to create. they dont want to worry about generating cash. thats the entire basis of having a patron as an artist. you get to do things creatively without having to worry about turning a profit.

and while their patreon has been extremely successful, there could be an argument made that its had more to do with their personalities than their business acumen. i think this is why a few people seem to be throwing in their business suggestions. because they see something they care about, and are trying to help. theres always room for improvement. the more money EZA gets, the more chance there is of them making more of the content we want to watch and more of the content they want to make.

with that said, i'm happy to go with the flow. whatever happens happens. i'm extremely happy with how they are doing things currently. me, as a consumer, am getting so much of what i want, its ridiculous. i just feel they could be making more money, thats all.

Mario007

The problem isn't people wanting to help the problem is people providing solutions based on incomplete information.
And what harm will come from someone in thia thread suggesting different business models for them? Nobody is forcing these guys to adapt them, people just speculate. Its the very nature of gaf. Doing backseat moderation in a thread for more than two pages hurts the discussion far more than someone trying to make sense of their financials.

Visceir

The bickering about people bickering about people bickering.

No one in this thread is outright telling them what to do, people are just having fun speculating. I imagine it's keeping this thread active and more visible than it would be if it was strictly discussion about content.

Starting up something new like this is always interesting and it's interesting to talk about it.

It's not so much "I paid $$, so they should do this!", but rather "maybe if they did x and y then more people would support and contribute and they would do even better, being able to provide even more quality content"

luchadork

The problem isn't people wanting to help the problem is people providing solutions based on incomplete information.

maybe. theres also been quite a few great suggestions. some of which have been listened to and implemented by the guys.

its early doors for everyone. so patience and understanding for both sides should be given.

Why did this thread become so Unjolly?

I wanna get back into Hype mode.

Then get back into hype mode. That's on you, it's not up to others to coddle you.

Threads, even community threads, are not supposed to be echo chambers where critical or dissenting opinions are drummed out. If you disagree with someone's post, put forth why you disagree, or, if you don't think it's worth the effort, ignore it and focus on the things you do want to discuss.

Grief51

Banned
Yeah, let's get the jolly back. No more pointless bickering that is not what Easy Allies is about.

On topic: I'm soooo hyped to finally see Huber play Resident Evil 6. I wonder if he will like it more now. The Xbox 360 version was 720p with a frame rate in the low-mid 20's
This new remaster is now 1080p and 60 fps.

Should make the shooting better, probably won't rescue the terrible writing though ;-)

fastmower

Then get back into hype mode. That's on you, it's not up to others to coddle you.

Threads, even community threads, are not supposed to be echo chambers where critical or dissenting opinions are drummed out. If you disagree with someone's post, put forth why you disagree, or, if you don't think it's worth the effort, ignore it and focus on the things you do want to discuss.
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

On topic, the latest Easy Update was fantastic entertainment. I would like more shows like that. Very natural and thought provoking!

Axass

Let's talk about what shows you'd like to see brought back (besides what would make business sense and what's already confirmed) or what new shows you'd like to see!

1 - Don's Design Lab: I absolutely loved the Super Mario Maker episodes, the cut and editing was excellent and they gave you a chance to see how each one of the crew approached the same situation. Then there were the live corrections and changes, making things harder for the following players: so good.

2 - Timeline: The Zelda episode is what got me into crazy speculation about Zelda's connected timeline, before Hyrule Historia hit the presses. It was such an insightful series, I'd love to get more.

3 - Bloodworth's show: I do love Blood, he's very intelligent and when he's on the podcast he always intrigues me with his very well thought and never obvious ideas. I'd be totally in for some sort of show from him, we don't see him enough on screen.

4 - Countdowns: I actually really appreciated them, even though they weren't exactly the deepest content GT could offer, it was fun guessing what would make the list based on my own personal gaming experience.

5 - Level: Another series I liked to check, nothing mindblowing, but still good. I found out I had many similar experiences to those of the crew in regards to great gaming levels.

BTW - That's a very nice streaming schedule for this week. I'd easily watch everything live if it was more euro-centric.

Maligna

Banned
Man i'm not gonna lie, that last update video.... there was something real about it that just felt fucking right. Fuck I would kill to just hang out with these people.

I know it's a personal topic, and in the Easy Update episode he said he wasn't going to go into it, but how much has Ian said about his sexuality in the past?

He's said definitively here in this episode that he's not gay. I've heard him refer to himself as a girl before, or "femmy". But he doesn't use exclusively female pronouns so I wouldn't think he'd be trans.

I know it's none of my business, but this part of Ian is mysterious and that fascinates me. Haha.

Everyone is different and thinks differently. We all have different views and belief systems, but we clearly all love the crew and vidja games.

Love and Respect everyone.

Auctopus

I know it's a personal topic, and in the Easy Update episode he said he wasn't going to go into it, but how much has Ian said about his sexuality in the past?

Not a lot. Just like this video.

He's said definitively here in this episode that he's not gay. I've heard him refer to himself as a girl before, or "femmy". But he doesn't use exclusively female pronouns so I wouldn't think he'd be trans.

As Ian said, this really isn't relevant to EZA. He's just progressive, open minded and a little effeminate. If you really want some more "insight", he cracks down hard on bigotry and sexism in Twitch chat whenever he's on. I.e. Permabanning people.

Anyway, it's nobody's business but his.

Tankard

Everyone is different and thinks differently. We all have different views and belief systems, but we clearly all love the crew and vidja games.

Love and Respect everyone.

Oeaedny.gif

To clarify...

Just wanted to echo the sentiment that no reasonable person could accuse you of inciting some kind of witch hunt. It was obvious from your post that you are simply a fan wanting to know more. And since you seem to be a new fan, and nobody in this thread has delivered the goods yet, here is a link to the archive of Ian's old show on GT, Mandatory Update:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLebTrVJAp3aizaeep8rwykJpNlStABy4M

Its hilarious and the chemistry between Ian and Elyse (and Kyle near the end of the show's run) is off the charts.

If you want to get to know Ian personally I would recommend the Mandatory Update Nights videos, the discussion on those usually got very personal.

Honestly, seeing all these new fans on the last few pages is making me all giddy because this crew is finally getting the respect they deserve. Allies Assemble!

Maligna

Banned
Anyway, it's nobody's business but his.

Very true. I was only interested in knowing whatever information he's volunteered himself. I haven't watched a lot of Ian's shows or streams so I'm sure I've missed it if he talked about the topic head on before.

Very true. I was only interested in knowing whatever information he's volunteered himself. I haven't watched a lot of Ian's shows or streams so I'm sure I've missed it if he talked the topic head on before.

Yo, it's totally fine to just admit to having a little man-crush on Ian. It's 2016 ;)

I watched Table Top Escapades yesterday, despite not knowing anything about D&D, beyond what was shown in Community. It was really good! I nearly died when Ben explained that Huber wanted to be
"a monk from China"
. Though I don't know how much of the lore/history I retained.

I watched Table Top Escapades yesterday, despite not knowing anything about D&D, beyond what was shown in Community. It was really good! I nearly died when Ben explained that Huber wanted to be
"a monk from China"

I think there are just a few basic things that would be nice to retain but like last time all of it will be fleshed out more as they go on their adventure.

That said I want to watch the video again just absorb more of it. Was a fairly dense episode for those that are into the lore and world building.

Hasney

"a monk from China"

I think there are just a few basic things that would be nice to retain but like last time all of it will be fleshed out more as they go on their adventure.

That said I want to watch the video again just absorb more of it. Was a fairly dense episode for those that are into the lore and world building.

Worth noting that Ben's lore corner on the Patreon page has links to some Google Docs that have it there as well, so you can always refer to it if/when needed.

Karu

any (new) word on the second podcast? Huber's 'Sunday'-mention came and went and I didn't see anybody tweeting about it.

Philippo

Sorry everyone. I know the Dark Souls III review is coming later than expected. When you need to make changes to something and the writer/editor are in two different locations, it takes a bit longer. We'll post as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience.

Lexad

Sorry everyone. I know the Dark Souls III review is coming later than expected. When you need to make changes to something and the writer/editor are in two different locations, it takes a bit longer. We'll post as soon as we can. Thank you for your patience.

I am just amazed we are getting another review so soon after quantum break

wiibomb

this is why we need you all to get dat 50k goal :)

Drencrom

No worries Ben, also congrats on reaching 35K!

Burt

Haha no need to apologize, I was just being tongue-in-cheek.

Or was I?

I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom