• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: The original post was a mess. A better one:

Ian is cool. Kyle is cool. Easy Update is cool. I'm looking forward to more cool things.

Man i'm not gonna lie, that last update video.... there was something real about it that just felt fucking right. Fuck I would kill to just hang out with these people.

UrbanRats

I am not a fan of it either, but why shouldn't it be happening? Because it's uncomfortable to talk about?

Honestly, a bit like Internet Mob justice, it's easy to have it spiral out of control based on false, wrong or misinterpreted data and information.
That's why i tend to agree with GamingOblivion.

In my opinion, an easier way to look at it as a patron is: are they delivering enough for your pledge to be worth it? Then keep pledging.
Are they not? Then stop pledging.

It's that simple.
Don't worry about where the money is going, don't worry about if they're spending it right, and all the other nonsense that usually arises in these threads.
Are they delivering what they promised? Good, that's the goal met right there.

And i'm talking in general, people have been pretty decent in here, regarding all that.

Talking about business and maximisation of potential audience/revenue is always a rock & a hard place for me, personally.

On a personal level, I don't look forward to the day Brandon Jones have to pimp/promote Square Space "You Should' on the podcast. One of the small little things I liked about GT Time was how devoid it was of typical sponsorship nonsense that exist in pretty much every other major podcast.

But at the same time, I know that the lack of those things are revenue that isn't being earned by EZA, and that the faster they reach that point of synonymy with other podcast is where they've probably gotten their monetary value out of a single show outside of the traditional "growing the audience" method.

There are a lot of things that EZA are doing right now, that if I compare them to better oiled Patreon machines like Kinda Funny, it's easy to point to them and say "look at how effective Greg sells the Patreon every week!", but I actually rather like the clumsiness of how this whole Patreon thing is new to the EZA and they're clearly still in early days of figuring out how to maximise their revenue/potential audience.

Spman2099

Talking about business and maximisation of potential audience/revenue is always a rock & a hard place for me, personally.

On a personal level, I don't look forward to the day Brandon Jones have to pimp/promote Square Space "You Should' on the podcast. One of the small little things I liked about GT Time was how devoid it was of typical sponsorship nonsense that exist in pretty much every other major podcast.

So, that is my initial feeling as well. However, would a sponsor break a half hour in, where Brandon talks about Square space or lootcrate, hurt the show? Not enough to move the needle. I don't know how much those sponsorship bring in, but if it is enough to make their lives easier, then I absolutely think they should do it.

One of the podcasts I listen to does it right. They give a book recommendation every time they advertise Audible. It turns the sponsorship into its own little segment. I actually kind of like it when it is done that way.

*edit*

I have been told this is standard for audible...

Honestly, a bit like Internet Mob justice, it's easy to have it spiral out of control based on false, wrong or misinterpreted data and information.
That's why i tend to agree with GamingOblivion.

In my opinion, an easier way to look at it as a patron is: are they delivering enough for your pledge to be worth it? Then keep pledging.
Are they not? Then stop pledging.

It's that simple.
Don't worry about where the money is going, don't worry about if they're spending it right, and all the other nonsense that usually arises in these threads.
Are they delivering what they promised? Good, that's the goal met right there.

And i'm talking in general, people have been pretty decent in here, regarding all that.

Yeah, I can see that. It is probably only a matter of time before they do something, or say something, that bothers someone and that person goes on a giant rant about feeling lied to and loudly revokes their Patreon pledge...

kenta

Has no PEINS
I watched the latest Easy Update. It made me want to be Ian's friend (note: I already wanted to be Kyle's friend). I was amused by how careful they were being about what they were saying about homosexuality. I didn't think the clarification was necessary, but I suppose it doesn't hurt. The gaming discussion, the personal discussion...all good in my book.

I noticed in the episode that Ian said that he (this is paraphrasing, so I apologize if I'm misremembering) is femme in some ways. I believe he then followed it up by saying something like "for reasons I won't go into on this show." I've never heard anyone suggest they have reasons for being femme beyond "I want to be" or "I simply am," so this made me curious. Has Ian ever talked about this in other things? I never really watched Ian's stuff until EZA.

I'm a new fan of Mr. Hinck! Looking forward to the future stuff.
To my knowledge he's never elaborated on anything related to that comment and in my opinion it would be inappropriate for any of us to speculate further

Justinh

Sponsors are fine.
If you're not interested you just zone out, and they are good money AFAIK, instead of Youtube ADs revenue, which is ridiculously low, unless you have massive views.
And you can do fun things with sponsors.

I don't have a problem with sponsors either, since it helps them out and it's not like they're doing undisclosed sponsored videos or whatever.

I saw this yesterday, and I thought it was pretty funny. I checked the last 10 pages quickly and didn't see it mentioned. Sorry if it was already brought up.
era6n0B.jpg

Brent Phillips is the guy who built the Gametrailers website prior to the Viacom redesign if I'm not mistaken

Mariolee

So, that is my initial feeling as well. However, would a sponsor break a half hour in, where Brandon talks about Square space or lootcrate, hurt the show? Not enough to move the needle. I don't know how much those sponsorship bring in, but if it is enough to make their lives easier, then I absolutely think they should do it.

One of the podcasts I listen to does it right. They give a book recommendation every time the advertise Audible. It turns the sponsorship into its own little segment. I actually kind of like it when it is done that way.

Pretty sure that's standard for every Audible sponsorship I've seen so far.

Just saw the EZA stream schedule and man ITS SOOO GOOOD. we're getting such great streaming now that they've left GT. Not only the number of streams but getting more than the q hour long streams. I love it.

And finally the most talked about game on the streams appears as a full playthrough. RE6 is happening. Haha.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
To my knowledge he's never elaborated on anything related to that comment and in my opinion it would be inappropriate for any of us to speculate further

I agree. I certainly don't want Detective GAF taking this case, nor do I care for speculation. I was just wondering if he'd previously elaborated on this in a public way so I could watch that. It's one of the reasons I like Ian, and I'm good with only knowing whatever he puts out there.

Thanks for the response.

Is his review based on that version he streamed last week? Coz I'm not sure how I feel about him playing the worst performance version (Xbone) in Japanese. That was hard to watch and I had to stop.
Hopefully he also had the English PC version and was under embargo or something.

Pretty sure it was said during a stream that he got the legit english copy for the review.

Is his review based on that version he streamed last week? Coz I'm not sure how I feel about him playing the worst performance version (Xbone) in Japanese. That was hard to watch and I had to stop.
Hopefully he also had the English PC version and was under embargo or something.

He played the unpatched JP PS4 version. He tried the ENG Xbox version but it was having problem streaming.

Do we know the release schedule for Tabletop?

Very excited for Huber and Ellis' RE6 stream. I had zero expectations it would return. Man, are these guys delivering with the content.

Wagram

Ahh the DS3 embargo ends tonight eh? Excited. I still think it'll score worse than Bloodborne critically, but i'll like it significantly more.

They should crack the 35k mark soon.

This would put them about on par with Kinda Funny + Kinda Funny Games's combined contribution in the first 2 weeks.

Pretty remarkable so far, considering that they've yet to really have any breakthrough high view count content.

Just wanted to point out fellow patrons:

4,196 patrons x $15 pledges = $62,940

Without the need for more patrons, we could easily get them their studio if we all raised our pledges a bit.

I think we can do it!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
With the GT crew being so big and there being enough people to cycle through I hope they don't forget about being able to freely collaborate with other people now.

For now it's probably too early and it's better that they get into their rythm and get all the stuff that's them exclusively out there first for a while.

But at some point I hope they'll look into collaborations with other people.

It's one of the nice things about youtube content folks.

Without the need for more patrons, we could easily get them their studio if we all raised our pledges a bit.

I think we can do it!

I have to admit that this is a pet peeve of mine. This kind of math happens with so many crowdfunding campaigns, but it's so detached from reality that it's counterproductive to pretend like there's any realism to it.

Your math is hypothetical to the degree of pointlessness. Most of us have already decided on the level of personal funding we're comfortable with, and won't budge. It'd be better to find ways for us to spread the word about Easy Allies to people who haven't heard about them, people who can come into the campaign with fresh funds.

Nothing personal, just a pet peeve. :)

I think we can do it!

I'm pledging 5 right now but I'm waiting for them to announce a more realistic stretch goal (weekly Trailer Score with Bosman, Jones, and Bloodworth please!) before I throw down my next five. If they decided to go full-time I would easily throw down 15 per month. All I really want are more weekly group shows/streams/podcasts.

I think we can do it!

Sorry, no youtube show is worth 15$ a month. already pay 10$ a month for spotify and netflix.

I'm in for 5$ just because i think that's fine for the podcast alone that i want to listen to every week.

Auctopus

I explained why. The demanding in this thread is ridiculous and filled with people that think they know what's best for the team. They know more than any of us combined what is going to work for them and what isn't. Going back and forth forever discussing their finances is a thread I don't want to be a part of. I'd rather talk about the content of their streams and videos.

I've noticed this since the influx of new viewers and I really hate it. I despise the Twitch frame of mind that the customer is always right. Especially customers that had been ignoring GT's efforts for the last couple years but now think they know what's best.

Patron-inspired shows that rely on the gang just recycling and pumping out their "catchphrases" is the last thing we need.

Not to mention that this sort of behaviour and intrusive discussion leads to toxic and banal "TWITCH DRAMA" shit. Ugh, just let EZA do what they want.

I noticed in the episode that Ian said that he (this is paraphrasing, so I apologize if I'm misremembering) is femme in some ways. I believe he then followed it up by saying something like "for reasons I won't go into on this show." I've never heard anyone suggest they have reasons for being femme beyond "I want to be" or "I simply am," so this made me curious. Has Ian ever talked about this in other things? I never really watched Ian's stuff until EZA.

I'm a new fan of Mr. Hinck! Looking forward to the future stuff.

If he doesn't want to discuss it on his show then I highly doubt he wants people guessing/discussing it in this thread.

It's just the way he is. He's always been like that since the early MU days and he brought in more personal discussion when Mandatory Update Nights happened.

I've noticed this since the influx of new viewers and I really hate it. I despise the Twitch frame of mind that the customer is always right. Especially customers that had been ignoring GT's efforts for the last couple years but now think they know what's best.

Patron-inspired shows that rely on the gang just recycling and pumping out their "catchphrases" is the last thing we need.

Not to mention that this sort of behaviour and intrusive discussion leads to toxic and banal "TWITCH DRAMA" shit. Ugh, just let EZA do what they want.

If he doesn't want to discuss it on his show then I highly doubt he wants people guessing/discussing it in this thread.

It's just the way he is. He's always been like that since the early MU days and he brought in more personal discussion when Mandatory Update Nights happened.

Unfortunately, not everyone supports our view on things. I just don't want the VERY vocal minority to affect the way EZA does things.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'm watching the marathon now because I missed it the other day...Brandon's excitement is oozing through the tv. All of them there obviously wonderfully chillin but also a Lil nervous and hyped.

Anytime you guys make anything. For fun for free through yt or patreon ...whatever. I'm there.

Thank you for doing what you do!

Mario007

Sorry, no youtube show is worth 15$ a month. already pay 10$ a month for spotify and netflix.

I'm in for 5$ just because i think that's fine for the podcast alone that i want to listen to every week.
To be fair they did say they'd go full time if they reach 50k.

Grief51

Banned
Yes, love the new stream schedule. It's going to fucking epic to finally see the Resident Evil 6 stream which Huber has been dreading for more than a year now haha!!

I also appreciate Toybox Tuesday and Bloodworths stream will be during Euro-friendly hours. Brandon has said a big chunk of their fan base if from outside NA and great we get some stream-love too.

I think EZA patreons will keep going up fairly consistently at this pace. Almost at 35k today...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

To clarify, I never would want people guessing/discussing anything because my interest is not in what other people have to say about another's identity (honestly, that's frustrating/pointless and I've dreaded when it's been done with me) and is instead only in getting to know people. I know I made it sound like "Whyyy is he weeeeiiiirrd? Eww, let's treat him like an anomaly," which makes me really regret my post's phrasing and makes me a jerk. It was supposed to be and should have been, "Hey, I'm a somewhat femme guy and it's cool to see Ian on my screen. I'd like to get to know him better. Anyone have a video I can watch to do that?" I was just curious if Ian had ever elaborated on the topic that he alluded to in Easy Update 2 in other already-made, public videos because it's an aspect of him that I appreciate and respect as someone who can (potentially) relate. I understand why my post has been responded to how it has, and there are parts I wrote that I regret writing the way I did. However, I hope my intentions of seeking out relatable stories can at least be seen as good, if poorly expressed and pursued.

I'll edit my original post because it seems to be distracting and moving discussion to a topic that I did not want. I did receive my answer, though, which I thank you all for.

I owe an apology to anyone for whom my question was misplaced and invasive or inviting discussion of someone's private life and personal identity. I was honestly just hoping for the name of a video I could search for.

Ian, if you're reading this, know that I've loved Easy Update so far and have had a great time watching it. Keep rocking it. I'll be a less weird fan in the future. Sorry if I upset you. :(

P.S.: Just to clarify something else people might have taken differently than I intended, I said I thought they were amusingly over-careful about the homosexuality thing because, as a gay guy who is rather sensitive to slights and dismissive comments, I never got negative vibes from them. But I appreciate them being careful and perhaps for others it was needed. Okay, now that I've hopefully managed to explain and apologize enough for my terrible introductory post in this thread, I'll sneak out until I feel enough of my shame for derailing the conversation and concerning/offending some readers has lifted.

Spman2099

To clarify, I never would want people guessing/discussing anything because my interest is not in what other people have to say about another's identity (honestly, that's frustrating/pointless and I've dreaded when it's been done with me) and is instead only in getting to know people. I know I made it sound like "Whyyy is he weeeeiiiirrd? Eww, let's treat him like an anomaly," which makes me really regret my post's phrasing and makes me a jerk. It was supposed to be and should have been, "Hey, I'm a somewhat femme guy and it's cool to see Ian on my screen. I'd like to get to know him better. Anyone have a video I can watch to do that?" I was just curious if Ian had ever elaborated on the topic that he alluded to in Easy Update 2 in other already-made, public videos because it's an aspect of him that I appreciate and respect as someone who can (potentially) relate. I understand why my post has been responded to how it has, and there are parts I wrote that I regret writing the way I did. However, I hope my intentions of seeking out relatable stories can at least be seen as good, if poorly expressed and pursued.

I'll edit my original post because it seems to be distracting and moving discussion to a topic that I did not want. I did receive my answer, though, which I thank you all for.

I owe an apology to anyone for whom my question was misplaced and invasive or inviting discussion of someone's private life and personal identity. I was honestly just hoping for the name of a video I could search for.

Ian, if you're reading this, know that I've loved Easy Update so far and have had a great time watching it. Keep rocking it. I'll be a less weird fan in the future. Sorry if I upset you. :(

P.S.: Just to clarify something else people might have taken differently than I intended, I said I thought they were amusingly over-careful about the homosexuality thing because, as a gay guy who is rather sensitive to slights and dismissive comments, I never got negative vibes from them. But I appreciate them being careful and perhaps for others it was needed. Okay, now that I've hopefully managed to explain and apologize enough for my terrible introductory post in this thread, I'll sneak out until I feel enough of my shame for derailing the conversation and concerning/offending some readers has lifted.

I can see how someone could misconstrue your post, but it isn't a big deal, dude. Things got weirdly accusatory, and pretty judgmental, in the last page or so. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

On another note, I can't wait until we are getting two podcasts a week. That is going to be incredible. I can't wait to see what Ben does with the second one.

KJRS_1993

To be honest man, I don't think what you said was that bad at all, and nobody reasonable could accuse you of inviting speculation or discussion. I think 99.9% of people understood you were just asking if it had been mentioned before.

Which it hasn't I don't think. That's all.

Edit: I also think a huge part of the speculation about EZA's finances is that patrons want to know how much it would take to get every member of the team working on the channel full-time.

Hasney

I explained why. The demanding in this thread is ridiculous and filled with people that think they know what's best for the team. They know more than any of us combined what is going to work for them and what isn't. Going back and forth forever discussing their finances is a thread I don't want to be a part of. I'd rather talk about the content of their streams and videos.

Yup, it's dull. Most of the finance talk is about the sky falling too, and that just never happened. They;ve got my money, now I'm just along for the ride.

Grief51

Banned
I wonder if Dark Souls 3 will be EZA first 5-star game. The game has a rating of 89 on Metacritic. More in line with a 4.5, but you never know with Ben

In any case I'm almost positive a hyped-up Huber will award Uncharted 4 5-stars ;-) The hype is real!

Wiggy

They have a tumblr now easyallies.tumblr.com/

They started posting on Facebook now too facebook.com/easyallies

They should think about getting an Instagram and Snapchat as I read they are the fastest growing social networks. Though I guess they are picture based so they might not have much to post there. There are so many social network things to keep track of these days.

uh you're being way too hard on yourself. It was incredibly obvious that you were just curious if Ian had talked about it in other public videos, there was absolutely nothing to get offended at by your post

It actually bothers me more that you edited your post so easily just to appease people who might suck at reading comprehension. Stand by your post
( I say as I make a billion edits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom