• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szeth

Well, they were so swamped last E3 due to the cuts that they couldn't get around to making any sort of highlight/best of reel, which led to stuff like these four GT videos racking up ~2 million total views on channels with as few as ~100 subscribers while the actual GT stuff floundered. It's incredibly magnanimous for the crew to still give the okay for people to do stuff like this, but if you actually want to help EZA, there's no reason to not send them the highlight vids for them to put up on their own stream archive channel.

I see your point, but I actually put work into my video, it wasn't just a straight rip and upload of their reactions like the other three. :(

Kneefoil

timmyp53

Yeah, honestly even with their permission I'm not a fan. What happens if one of your edits take off and gets millions of views, only the original creators and content never gets noticed? Happens all the time. I'd say let the streams be on the original channels, warts and all.

I agree with Oblivion here.The clips you've made though are pretty darn great though. It's a a shame they split the channels. I don't know where these would go now.

I see your point, but I actually put work into my video, it wasn't just a straight rip and upload of their reactions like the other three. :(

I understand that you put work into them and you're not doing it maliciously to steal views, but by the nature of it existing on Youtube on a channel that isn't EZA it by default is stealing views away.

In general, if they don't have the time, resources, or want to do it, then it shouldn't happen. I understand that they're giving permission (supposedly) but I feel in this case it's best to not do it at all.

I'm not asking for it now, because I know they are settling in, but I hope down the line they try those special episodes of going out, eating and shooting the shit about games like in the special Bosman episode with Elyse and Ian.

That was like the peak of good vibes.

UrbanRats

I'm not asking for it now, because I know they are settling in, but I hope down the line they try those special episodes of going out, eating and shooting the shit about games like in the special Bosman episode with Elyse and Ian.

You mean like Easy Update ep 2?

Ha that was awesome. When that dump truck and truck maneuver happened I laughed out loud.

Szeth

I understand that you put work into them and you're not doing it maliciously to steal views, but by the nature of it existing on Youtube on a channel that isn't EZA it by default is stealing views away.

In general, if they don't have the time, resources, or want to do it, then it shouldn't happen. I understand that they're giving permission (supposedly) but I feel in this case it's best to not do it at all.

I guess I just don't agree that the kind of video I made falls under what you're talking about

Right, but taking millions of views isn't going to help either. I just see so many channels, Facebook pages, and other sites stealing original content that to package it into your own video on your own channel just seems wrong. If the EZA guys "want more views" by editing their videos down into highlights, it's up to them to do it. I don't understand that fan entitled mentality here.
This is a really bizarre post to me. Views are not a zero-sum game. Somebody doing a cut that helps bring in publicity... helps EZA.

Only as long as they're ok with it, of course. But if they are, why do you care?

luchadork

i wonder if they'll rethink their 2nd channel for streams idea. as predicted, the streams are now only getting hundreds of views compared to thousands. 90% of the EZA subs havent subscribed to the 2nd channel.

as for the fan made stream highlights, i reckon EZA should lean more on their fans. we're clearly happy to help with stuff. if people are able to edit down streams, upload content, etc etc, why not take advantage of that? personally, a 10-15 minute end of week highlight show would be tremendous. just all the funny moments, memes, etc from the hours of content.

Kneefoil

i wonder if they'll rethink their 2nd channel for streams idea. as predicted, the streams are now only getting hundreds of views compared to thousands. 90% of the EZA subs havent subscribed to the 2nd channel.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that a large part of the fanbase isn't even aware of the second channel. If you follow EZA only on YouTube, you'd probably have no idea that they've made a new channel for the streams.

llehuty

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that a large part of the fanbase isn't even aware of the second channel. If you follow EZA only on YouTube, you'd probably have no idea that they've made a new channel for the streams.

As stupid as I thought the thumbnails at the end of GT videos was (at least on their last phase), it could probably help making people discover the other channel. Could also be just a caption when they are recommending one video at the end of the Easy Allies podcast.

luchadork

Yup. I've said it since day 1. It doesn't make sense to split your content when theres so little of it and the audience is so small. Anecdotally, I have a friend who is a massive GT fan. Back in the day, he'd watch every video on the main channel. He loved it. When I mentioned the GTreviews channel he had no idea what I was talking about. This guy isnt a complete moron either. It just hard to communicate that there is a separate channel, for whatever reason. I think that only 10% of subscribers have signed up shows that.

You've got the option of having a channel that has 4 videos a day... or 4 videos a week. I don't know why you'd pick the latter when content is king and the number clearly show people prefer to watch the videos on the one channel. You're just obfuscating your stuff and making it harder for people to find.

as for the fan made stream highlights, i reckon EZA should lean more on their fans. we're clearly happy to help with stuff. if people are able to edit down streams, upload content, etc etc, why not take advantage of that? personally, a 10-15 minute end of week highlight show would be tremendous. just all the funny moments, memes, etc from the hours of content.

I've definitely noticed the drop, but it's to be expected with only a 10th of subscribers. Doing what I can to make more people aware of the 2nd channel.

I think in the long run though, having the streams on the main channel would only do more harm than good. A lot of people are either not interested or they already watched live, which means that they'll just ignore those videos, and since the streams are so much more frequent, it's just hard to spot "the good stuff" in the midst of it all. Plus YouTube's algorithms may just assume they're not interested either and stop showing new videos in their sub boxes. I feel a lot better about posting things now where every subscriber clearly wants that kind of content.

As far as a weekly highlights show goes, that is something I'd like to put up on the main channel, but we need to get some of the other stuff underway before we do it ourselves. As far as "taking advantage" of fans. That's exactly what it feels like, and I'm not 100% comfortable with using someone's work without compensation or having to tell them it's not quite good enough or feeling like I have to chase someone down for an episode every week.

Yup. I've said it since day 1. It doesn't make sense to split your content when theres so little of it and the audience is so small. Anecdotally, I have a friend who is a massive GT fan. Back in the day, he'd watch every video on the main channel. He loved it. When I mentioned the GTreviews channel he had no idea what I was talking about. This guy isnt a complete moron either. It just hard to communicate that there is a separate channel, for whatever reason. I think that only 10% of subscribers have signed up shows that.

You've got the option of having a channel that has 4 videos a day... or 4 videos a week. I don't know why you'd pick the latter when content is king and the number clearly show people prefer to watch the videos on the one channel. You're just obfuscating your stuff and making it harder for people to find.
They didn't all prefer it, many were actively complaining about the amount of videos they had no interest in.

Much of the second channel's purpose is for archival reasons. Much of the views are going to come from twitch and YT is there just for those that really don't want to watch on twitch. Also they have playlists on the main channel for the EZA plays videos so they aren't totally buried.

I think it will make a lot more sense soon as it seems Huber's show and Ben's second podcast are about to be added into the weekly rotation. So the main channel is almost going to have a video a day soon.

I've definitely noticed the drop, but it's to be expected with only a 10th of subscribers. Doing what I can to make more people aware of the 2nd channel.

I think in the long run though, having the streams on the main channel would only do more harm than good. A lot of people are either not interested or they already watched live, which means that they'll just ignore those videos, and since the streams are so much more frequent, it's just hard to spot "the good stuff" in the midst of it all. Plus YouTube's algorithms may just assume they're not interested either and stop showing new videos in their sub boxes. I feel a lot better about posting things now where every subscriber clearly wants that kind of content.

As far as a weekly highlights show goes, that is something I'd like to put up on the main channel, but we need to get some of the other stuff underway before we do it ourselves. As far as "taking advantage" of fans. That's exactly what it feels like, and I'm not 100% comfortable with using someone's work without compensation or having to tell them it's not quite good enough or feeling like I have to chase someone down for an episode every week.

They didn't all prefer it, many were actively complaining about the amount of videos they had no interest in.

Any thoughts on adding more planning and production to the group stream Tuesday? Could almost act as a third podcast. Of course still stream games but maybe plan segments throughout the two hour stream where the group is full screen and the game is in the small box. Maybe something like Blind headlines from the ManUps days, live AMA with the chat, or whatever game show like thing you all come up with. Then break that stream out and post it to the main channel.

Tankard

By the way, i thought the streams would be gone from the EZA main youtube channel? But they are still there and being added to the playlist everyday.

Hasney

Any thoughts on adding more planning and production to the group stream Tuesday? Could almost act as a third podcast. Of course still stream games but maybe plan segments throughout the two hour stream where the group is full screen and the game is in the small box. Maybe something like Blind headlines from the ManUps days, or whatever game show like thing you all come up with. Then break that out and post it to the main channel.

Noooo, no structure. There's plenty of structured shows either already happening or coming up. Keep the Tuesday stream just about a bunch of people kicking back and shooting the breeze. Stopping that to do blind headlines or something wouldn't be that fun.
By the way, i thought the streams would be gone from the EZA main youtube channel? But they are still there and being added to the playlist everyday.

As it should be. It's already been pointed out that the stream channel is barely known right now and a playlist doesn't "spam" people's subscription boxes with scary things like content, or affect the much more rational explanation of an algorithm like Blood said earlier. But it does give them visibility, which they need.

The playlists are promoted on the main channel, but not uploaded there. So you can find them if you're just browsing the channel, but they won't fill your sub box if you aren't subscribed to Easy Allies Plays.

Noooo, no structure. There's plenty of structured shows either already happening or coming up. Keep the Tuesday stream just about a bunch of people kicking back and shooting the breeze. Stopping that to do blind headlines or something wouldn't be that fun.

Fair enough. I can see your point as well. Plus those two hours fly by. I just also see a lot of potential in them have an actual structured live show. Maybe in the future that could be a thing as well on a different day of the week.

Hasney

Fair enough. I can see your point as well. Plus those two hours fly by. I just also see a lot of potential in them have an actual structured live show. Maybe in the future that could be a thing as well on a different day of the week.

Oh yeah, doing something like GT Live or something again in the future if possible would be rad. Give it the dedicated hour somewhere like it used to and boom.

Tankard

The playlists are promoted on the main channel, but not uploaded there. So you can find them if you're just browsing the channel, but they won't fill your sub box if you aren't subscribed to Easy Allies Plays.

As it should be. It's already been pointed out that the stream channel is barely known right now and a playlist doesn't "spam" people's subscription boxes with scary things like content, or affect the much more rational explanation of an algorithm like Blood said earlier. But it does give them visibility, which they need.

Oh ok, thanks for explaining, I had no idea that's how it worked

I just realized Easy Allies reminds me of the development of Hellblade.

Talented people who went the independent route and have decided to get creative in how they create their work while still maintaining a high level of quality.

Ninja Theory is using their own studio as a mo cap area, EZA is using Brandon's garage as a home base. Ninja Theory is using their own developers for mo cap and VO, EZA has multiple people doing multiple jobs to get the job done.

If that makes any sense lol. I mean it as a compliment!

sora87

Damn, the views spiked on the DS3 video. Higher than QB now.

The review? They were always the most consistently highest videos from the GT days, a lot of them got 500-600k+ views. Reviews and top 10s seemed to be the highest viewed videos.

MrMette

Just make a video on the main channel advertising the second channel.

Boom done.

Doesn't seem very hard, lol.

Yeah, I was thinking about something like that as well.
Although that type of quick video is not really a thing they normally do (but I don't think it is a bad one time thing to do), It can at least help bring the interested people who are subscribed to the main channel to the second channel.

jbluzb

Damn, the views spiked on the DS3 video. Higher than QB now.

I was reading some of the comments on the ds3 review, overall people are positive about the quality of the review. A lot of people are just stumbling to the channel not knowing EZA is composed of old gt crew. I see a lot more supporters as the channel expands.

Maligna

Banned
Agh... I just don't get it.

I know streaming is the new thing that everyone loves. I've never understood it, but I thought if I could watch anyone play games instead of play them myself it would be the EZA guys.

Just tried to watch the PSO stream, seeing as it's one of my favorite games of all time:
https://youtu.be/huB6jWb-LZk

I don't think I can do it. It stresses me out to much. I just want to be able to reach into the screen and take their controllers from them or tell them where to go/what to do.

From the beginning when they were trying to figure out how to start the mission, and then when they went down to the planet and Huber was using heavy attack as a single strike repeatedly and no one was telling him you can turn that shit into a combo. I wanted to be able to tell them that the best way to start a combo off is with 1 or 2 light attacks, and then finish off with a heavy as it makes the heavy more likely to hit.

I know if I was watching live I could participate in chat, but I've found my comments are rarely noticed. It's so hard to time your comment to when they are looking at them instead of the game.

Anyways, I'm glad other people like this whole streaming phenomenon but it's just not for me I guess.

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg

Agh... I just don't get it.

I know streaming is the new thing that everyone loves. I've never understood it, but I thought if I could watch anyone play games instead of play them myself it would be the EZA guys.

Just tried to watch the PSO stream, seeing as it's one of my favorite games of all time:
https://youtu.be/huB6jWb-LZk

I don't think I can do it. It stresses me out to much. I just want to be able to reach into the screen and take their controllers from them or tell them where to go/what to do.

From the beginning when they were trying to figure out how to start the mission, and then when they went down to the planet and Huber was using heavy attack as a single strike repeatedly and no one was telling him you can turn that shit into a combo. I wanted to be able to tell them that the best way to start a combo off is with 1 or 2 light attacks, and then finish off with a heavy as it makes the heavy more likely to hit.

I know if I was watching live I could participate in chat, but I've found my comments are rarely noticed. It's so hard to time your comment to when they are looking at them instead of the game.

Anyways, I'm glad other people like this whole streaming phenomenon but it's just not for me I guess.

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpeg

Its much more fun to be in the chat live.

RiverKwai

I never really "got" streaming either until I caught Ben's Dragon Quest Builder stream live. Ben is so chill and inclusive, it really did feel like hanging out with a buddy watching him play. It's kinda a personality thing with me, I've watched at least part of almost all their other streams, and sometimes I'm just not interested, or it doesn't "click" or whatever - but when it does, it's cool and I can see why people like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom