• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Yes, because changing names now is definitely the smart move. Easy Allies is a fine name, I don't see why this is even something to complain about at this point.
Rooster Teeth, Funhaus, Kinda Funny, Cool Ghosts, Mega64, none of these explain what they are and they're all doing fine. Even IGN doesn't stand for anything anymore or make any sense.

An interesting fact that I found out on Danny O Dwyer's interview with Matt Lees at GDC, on The Lobby podcast, was that Matt and Quintin intentionally used an odd sounding brand name and their pink background for the Cool Ghosts website to deter a large proportion of potential 'rowdy and offensive' commentators from their content. Their intent was to build a small, tight knit and positive (this does not imply not being critical) community.

More people should check out Cool Ghosts!

PepperedHam

I am sorry Bloodworth but the name is horrible and I am having the same problem with my friends that are casuals. I tell them about Easy Allies and they have absolutely no idea what it is until I say it's the GT crew. The name would get an F in a marketing class. You have to think of a name that is easily recognizable for a wide audience. See CNN - Cable News Network, Gamespot, Facebook, etc. A general audience can make some sort of assumption on what one of these outlets are. EasyAllies? People have no fucking clue. Your name will surely limit your audience, and what a marketing course would teach you. How the hell did you guys pass that name? It sounds silly. Go check out CNN. Hey Brian go check out Facebook. Compared to, hey Elyse, go check out Easy Allies. Must've been drunk.

I thought KindaFunnyGames was bad but shit, at least it is marketable.

Giant Bomb? There's nothing wrong with Easy Allies. Honestly if you're telling a friend to go check something out you should be telling them what the fuck it is to begin with. Not just, oh hey Steve go check out CNN! "Oh thanks Hubble, what the fuck is CNN because I'm not good at guessing acronyms?"

LiK

True story, Giant Bomb name came from being two random words that rolled off the tongue. That was how their site was named. They didn't care if it had any meaning.

Easy Allies is a good name and you can even shorten it to EZA. Genius.

rtcn63

This seems like a hindsight thing. Does "Face Book" really sound like a legit website, especially one that millions (?) of people visit on a regular basis? At first glance, it sounds like a place where you post pictures of your face alongside other people's faces. A book of strangers' faces. For questionable purposes.

I am sorry Bloodworth but the name is horrible and I am having the same problem with my friends that are casuals. I tell them about Easy Allies and they have absolutely no idea what it is until I say it's the GT crew. The name would get an F in a marketing class. You have to think of a name that is easily recognizable for a wide audience. See CNN - Cable News Network, Gamespot, Facebook, etc. A general audience can make some sort of assumption on what one of these outlets are. EasyAllies? People have no fucking clue. Your name will surely limit your audience, and what a marketing course would teach you. How the hell did you guys pass that name? It sounds silly. Go check out CNN. Hey Brian go check out Facebook. Compared to, hey Elyse, go check out Easy Allies. Must've been drunk.

Lol so you expect their brand to be known right off the bat? If their name is so terrible why are they already one of the most popular patreons around and further along than they ever imagined they would be right now?

Content is far more important than the name - provide good, engaging content and people will stay. Their rise has already been great so why the Negativity?

This is just another example of fans thinking they have more input in the runnings of the business then they actually do. They are surely over the moon at their success yet you make it sound like they are on the verge of failure.

Mikey Jr.

Holy shit.

Does the name "Gametrailers" let you know that the team is making a bunch of personality-driven content that generally isn't about trailers?

I get where you're coming from, but there are a million spins on GameTalkers, GameSite, GameVids that something unique like Easy Allies sticks out.

There also isn't a need for the aggression lol

True story, Giant Bomb name came from being two random words that rolled off the tongue. That was how their site was named. They didn't care if it had any meaning.

I wasn't a fan of the name, when it was revealed. I, too, thought it was too inside jokey. But in the end, if you tell your friends to watch the "Easy Allies" and they're asking what it is, saying "a group of great friends producing video game stuff" should be more than enough.

It's also not unheard of that odd names can be helpful or at least won't get in the way of successful businesses (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Skype, Twitch). Honestly, this "marketing class" talk makes it sound like a first or second year student is talking. It's a bit embarrassing. In the end it's the most successful Patreon on the platform and I don't necessarily think that a more generic name would've brought more subscribers in than they already got in such a short amount of time.

Sevyne

Forgive me if I come off as a jerk, but it really irks me that people are really diving into how THEY would use the money and trying to teach a group of folks who have been doing this for years how to manage it.

Like, I get that people want to give feedback and help EZA grow, but some of the stuff being said is rather bizzare. Some folks acting like they are owed more than what they were promised. I though people chipped in to the patreon to support a likeable group of gamers who are honest and enthusiastic about video games. Suddenly everyone is acting like a corporate dick lording over their every move, and displaying zero patience while they try to establish structure to what they are doing.

Suggestions are great and all, but stop trying to play boss guys. Things will run their course the way they should. Want to help? Spread the word. Show some friends some content (both new and old). Submit some music or banners, or questions/topics. I'm sure they appreciate all of it.

Hubble

Yes, because changing names now is definitely the smart move. Easy Allies is a fine name, I don't see why this is even something to complain about at this point.
Rooster Teeth, Funhaus, Kinda Funny, Cool Ghosts, Mega64, none of these explain what they are and they're all doing fine. Even IGN doesn't stand for anything anymore or make any sense.

Giant Bomb? There's nothing wrong with Easy Allies. Honestly if you're telling a friend to go check something out you should be telling them what the fuck it is to begin with. Not just, oh hey Steve go check out CNN! "Oh thanks Hubble, what the fuck is CNN because I'm not good at guessing acronyms?"

Know your audience who you are trying to reach is rule #1.

I wrote what I think, and why is that?

I am a casual gaming podcast listener. I listen and watch videos a few times a week, maybe when I am at the gym, or doing something around. I do not search the interwebz for the latest greatest gaming produced content. I have not listened to Giant Bomb. I have not listened to Rooster Teeth, maybe a few videos in my lifetime for both. I do not know what Fun Haus is. I never ever ever heard of Cool Ghosts before. I do not know what Mega64 is. Is it something about the Nintendo 64 era?

I periodically go to IGN, Gamespot, and GameTrailers. Why? Because I am a casual. I listened to Podcast Beyond and the Greg Miller show, which I thought was just fantastic and kind of like The Late Night Show but for video games. Over the past year, I started to watch GameTrailers frequently, and it overtook Greg Miller's IGN as my favorite game site. I loved Mandatory Update, Huber Hybe, Retrospectives, GT Time, Pop Fiction, Top 10, and more.

There are many people like me who happened to go to GameTrailers because it was a chill casual site that appealed to the masses. I followed them to EasyAllies and support them at the $25 tier, but I bet there are thousands of people out there like me, who used to visit GameTrailers that are completely lost by the name, and are not listening to GiantBomb. They do not know what Easy Allies is, and are not going to research it. They probably never heard of it or are confused on what it is, and are not visiting Cool Ghosts.

SeanTSC

Yeah, I pretty much just use EZA when I think about them instead of Easy Allies. EZA rolls off the tongue really well. Just like I would refer to them as GT rather than GameTrailers.

tok9

So are you saying if someone never ever heard of CCN or Facebook, they'd know exactly what those two companies do?

You're only saying that because you've been exposed to them so much.

wiibomb

You... clearly don't know how marketing works, do you?

A brand name doesn't mean anything by it's lone name, what matters is how they make the brand expose to others. Do you think McDonalds is such a good name? In spanish it is a horrible name, yet we know at every corner about it.

Your friend mostly know about GT because the site had a whole 13 years out there with a huge exposure there in its time.

EZA has just less than a month, leave them get some branding at least.

Kinda funny is a horrible name, but we in the gaming comunity mostly know them already, the name doesn't mean anything, I like that they chose the name they want, not the best name for the best marketing, that's exactly the kind of BS these people are avoiding with this, all those corporate practices they already hate

so1337

So you're saying that a major brand name that existed for at least decade is more recognizable than the name of a Youtube channel that's been active for a month.

Know your audience who you are trying to reach is rule #1.

I wrote what I think, and why is that?

I am a casual gaming podcast listener. I listen and watch videos a few times a week, maybe when I am at the gym, or doing something around. I do not search the interwebz for the latest greatest gaming produced content. I have not listened to Giant Bomb. I have not listened to Rooster Teeth, maybe a few videos in my lifetime for both. I do not know what Fun Haus is. I never ever ever heard of Cool Ghosts before. I do not know what Mega64 is. Is it something about the Nintendo 64 era?

I periodically go to IGN, Gamespot, and GameTrailers. Why? Because I am a casual. I listened to Podcast Beyond and the Greg Miller show, which I thought was just fantastic and kind of like The Late Night Show but for video games. Over the past year, I started to watch GameTrailers frequently, and it overtook Greg Miller's IGN as my favorite game site. I loved Mandatory Update, Huber Hybe, Retrospectives, GT Time, Pop Fiction, Top 10, and more.

There are many people like me who happened to go to GameTrailers because it was a chill casual site that appealed to the masses. I followed them to EasyAllies and support them at the $25 tier, but I bet there are thousands of people out there like me, who used to visit GameTrailers that are completely lost by the name, and are not listening to GiantBomb. They do not know what Easy Allies is, and are not going to research it. They probably never heard of it or are confused on what it is, and are not visiting Cool Ghosts.

There's no name that's going to solve that problem. It can't connect the dots back to GT. People will just have to spread the word or they'll find out when they stumble across a review via search, which has happened to many people in the last week.

Naming it GameBuds or something would have been far more likely to get lost in the shuffle, and GameTrailers probably did us more harm than good over the past few years. Many successful companies do not have descriptive names. What are Apple, Sony, and Nintendo unless you already know them?

Our name at least implies a sense of community or collaboration, and as people mentioned, a lot of people have already found out about us very quickly.

Heartfyre

So are you saying if someone never ever heard of CCN or Facebook, they'd know exactly what those two companies do?

You're only saying that because you've been exposed to them so much.

This. Amusingly, when I signed up to their Patreon, I got a call from my bank's fraud prevention department, and I had to explain to them what Patreon was. You'd think a bank that deals with so many transactions on a daily basis would know what Patreon is, but there you go. When you're seeped in your hobbies, you forget that not everyone is aware of the same things as you are, as ubiquitous as they may seem to you.

Maybe if they went with Pay-People-Money-To-Make-Stuff.com, I wouldn't have gotten that call.

Maligna

Banned
There's no name that's going to solve that problem. It can't connect the dots back to GT. People will just have to spread the word or they'll find out when they stumble across a review via search, which has happened to many people in the last week.

Naming it GameBuds or something would have been far more likely to get lost in the shuffle, and GameTrailers probably did us more harm than good over the past few years. Many successful companies do not have descriptive names. What are Apple, Sony, and Nintendo unless you already know them?

Our name at least implies a sense of community or collaboration, and as people mentioned, a lot of people have already found out about us very quickly.

picard_clapping.gif

Don't listen to that dude, Blood. Name's fine.

RiverKwai

I mean, what the hell is a NeoGAF? What a dumb name, change it to InternetComplainersAnonymous.com or nobody is going to be able to explain the site to their friends.

:)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I remember particularly well people from here, a "nexus of hardcore gamers" (well-informed people in games, at least) saying something like this: "GameTrailers? Wait, they did original content? I thought all they did was upload trailers!".

The name while descriptive, did hurt their chances at getting more people interested in what they did. Easy Allies, while non-descriptive, can at least offer some ambiguity so that interested people can go and look for themselves and not predispose to any idea.

And yeah, while River is being facetious, I can tell I didn't give a crap what NeoGAF meant. I learned what it means at one point because I wanted to know what it meant, does all the industry know what GAF means? Hell no, but it sure as heck hasn't stopped it from being probably the most famous gaming forum.

Hubble

Trust me all, I know things. Things.

Lol You know nothing at all. What a joke.

Thanks, Blood for the reply. You made some valid points. I do not think you are right abot the GameTrailers name hurting you guys at all. I think people got the message that you were going to see video content on Gametrailers with the name perfectly. I still think it's a bad confusing name but we can disagree, especially for a wider scale like a website or something.

Just can't trust an ex Halo fan in 2016. Halo 5 is the best Halo game since Halo 2, yet you're still rocking out with that avatar.

Trust me all, I know things. Things.

Okay Funknown, I respect you man, but you just crossed the line ;)

Talking about R&C, the game's visuals are outstanding. It has the Pixar film quality.

Yeah man... It's one of those games that makes me want to buy a PS4 without hesitation.

ito007

I hope this isn't too off topic, but with the word "marketing" being thrown around had me curious... Who here is actually in marketing as a student or job? I am a senior marketing student myself and I'm considering getting my masters in marketing.

I hope this isn't too off topic, but with the word "marketing" being thrown around had me curious... Who here is actually in marketing as a student or job? I am a senior marketing student myself and I'm considering getting my masters in marketing.

As a job. Currently in Sales Operation, but I was marketing for 2.5 years.

Umibozu

Took some marketing courses for when I went to school for business. Made a marketing plan, and business plans for a previous business administrator position. No longer involved with that stuff.
I feel that when business talk enters some of these threads there is some ignorance sometimes shown, but I don't comment/question it as can never tell if they have the knowledge regarding it. Which is why I generally ignore them.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

ito007

Took some marketing courses for when I went to school for business. Made a marketing plan, and business plans for a previous business administrator position. No longer involved with that stuff.
I feel that when business talk enters some of these threads there is some ignorance sometimes shown, but I don't comment/question it as can never tell if they have the knowledge regarding it. Which is why I generally ignore them.
I feel the exact same way. Except since I'm only a student I feel even less inclined to say anything as I'm still learning after all. I'll admit though I've said stuff in other threads. Some good, some bad.

tok9

You have to think of a name that is easily recognizable for a wide audience. See CNN - Cable News Network, Gamespot, Facebook, etc. A general audience can make some sort of assumption on what one of these outlets are. EasyAllies? People have no fucking clue.

No, read what I said.

I have.

If someone hears the word Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter for the first time, that person won't have a clue what any of those things are.

There's a deleted video on the EZA channel called frame trap. Even has a banner that says frame trap. So hopefully it is happening soon.

Episode is titled "What do we want out of FFXV?"

Bigrx1

Banned
Yeah terrible name choice guys, how will you ever make it with a name like Easy Allies, worst move EVER.

/glances at Patreon page and monthly contributions

oh............

luchadork

I have.

If someone hears the word Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter for the first time, that person won't have a clue what any of those things are.

tumblr = something to do with tumblelogs
instagram = instant telegrams
facebook = some sort of book of faces. like a year book.
twitter = a social network for birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom